Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you going to throw another nuclear bitchfit, sithsaber?

Your title is the truest of red titles.

Too busy lifting 4 da btchs.

Bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

you already said that, how do we know we can believe you this time

bby pls don't go

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Thanks :shobon: I know I'm really lucky to be in this position at all, but I'm wrestling with some pretty hosed-up depression coming off my last job, and it just robs you of any sense of proportionality or confidence. It feels like I miss a couple hours of sleep and suddenly I can't write for a week, couldn't write even if I had a Pulitzer and a lifetime supply of morphine just waiting for me to polish off a paragraph.

Comes and goes by days. Probably be okay tomorrow. Just hope I'll manage to put in enough good hours to tie it all up the way I'd like it. And I do appreciate the thread's patience, it's nice to be able to talk about it with people who aren't actually connected to the process.
You'll be fine dude. I'm not sure entirely how much I can relate ("I have short story that is probably coming out in an anthology at some undefined future point and I'm worried about it" is as close as I come) but from what I've seen here in CC, you know your poo poo and you know how to write a good story. Everybody gets post-publishing jitters.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

Bye
Ahaha ok I take back my thing about critting you and taking you seriously. Every time you post I'm just gonna imagine a big bawling baby.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Sithsaber posted:

Bye

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

magnificent7 posted:

That was maybe the hardest thing for me - seeing, reading, and heeding the advice instead of explaining why they didn't get it. I hated everybody for ripping my poo poo to shreds, but there's only one instance where I knew for a fact they were wrong. (you CAN put a wire coat hanger over your head bitches.) Every other snarky piece of advice has been dead on.

I said your protagonist would have to bend the hanger out of shape before she could choke a dude with it, and I stand by that. :colbert:

I'm glad you've stuck with writing, mag7.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

General Battuta posted:

Thanks :shobon: I know I'm really lucky to be in this position at all, but I'm wrestling with some pretty hosed-up depression coming off my last job, and it just robs you of any sense of proportionality or confidence. It feels like I miss a couple hours of sleep and suddenly I can't write for a week, couldn't write even if I had a Pulitzer and a lifetime supply of morphine just waiting for me to polish off a paragraph.

Comes and goes by days. Probably be okay tomorrow. Just hope I'll manage to put in enough good hours to tie it all up the way I'd like it. And I do appreciate the thread's patience, it's nice to be able to talk about it with people who aren't actually connected to the process.

Oh yeah, if it's like that, I definitely feel you. I haven't been able to write a word in a couple months because of how my job right now has been grinding me into the dirt. And that's just trying to do it for fun. That's like 100% reasonable.

You'll be fine. :shobon:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Kaishai posted:

I'm glad you've stuck with writing, mag7.
+1. Your writing's a long way from perfect, but it's definitely getting somewhere. I've been enjoying watching The Ascent of Mag.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sithsaber posted:

Bye

I haven't given you my credentials!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

+1. Your writing's a long way from perfect, but it's definitely getting somewhere. I've been enjoying watching The Ascent of Mag.

i cant wait for you all to witness my grand descent from mediocrity into that part of your brain where you go: "lou? huh, whys that name familiar?"

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aww shucks people. I'm pretty happy with my improvements. I'll never be where I wanna be, but that's just because I don't write. I talk about writing.

And the bendy coathanger murder was implied. 1,000 word count don't leave room for extrasplanations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i cant wait for you all to witness my grand descent from mediocrity into that part of your brain where you go: "lou? huh, whys that name familiar?"
I have judged you twice and given you a DM and an HM. Your name is familiar because you're "that guy whose stories vary wildly in quality".

I do really want to read more set in the blood-prediction world though so that's pretty awesome.

ALSO WHY IS THERE NO APOSTROPHE IN YOUR NAME MOTHERFUCKER. AND WHO SPELLS IS 'MUSTACHE' YOU gently caress.

AAAAAAAAARG.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

ALSO WHY IS THERE NO APOSTROPHE IN YOUR NAME MOTHERFUCKER. AND WHO SPELLS IS 'MUSTACHE' YOU gently caress.

I don't think anyone spells 'is' as 'mustache' Muffin

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I have judged you twice and given you a DM and an HM. Your name is familiar because you're "that guy whose stories vary wildly in quality".

I do really want to read more set in the blood-prediction world though so that's pretty awesome.

AAAAAAAAARG.

you cant use apostrophes in usernames, did they not teach you in your ten word country that spells mustache wrong?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sithsaber posted:

That was 3 or 4 months ago, people. The long term memories here are ridiculous.

Ps. Apparently I wanted your credentials, rhino. Give them to me before I forget about you again.

When someone walks into the room, squats down, pulls their buttcheeks apart with their hands, and drops a loaf on the proverbial linoleum, it tends to stick in people's memory.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

When someone walks into the room, squats down, pulls their buttcheeks apart with their hands, and drops a loaf on the proverbial linoleum, it tends to stick in people's memory.

You should be liftin' 'steada bitchin'.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I haven't given you my credentials!

I'll take them, I could always use credentials. When I started writing it was unironic Elders Scrolls fanfiction (yes, of course it was about cat people do you even need to ask). My problem was I wrote a story in school once and my English teacher made me come to his CW lunchtime club. Pride does terrible things to a man.

I knew a guy once who was a bit older than me so his chest of old stories was a literal old chest of stories, and one day (after he got published) he went out and burned them all in his garden. Maybe not a bad idea.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Sithsaber posted:

You should be liftin' 'steada bitchin'.

When you actually have any writing or anything constructive whatsoever to contribute to this subforum, I'll gladly stop "bitchin." Right now all you are doing is demonstrating why nobody is taking you seriously. I'm not sure I have the time or the crayons to explain that in a way that will get through to you, since you seem absolutely intent on plugging your ears to any and all feedback, but if you spent a fraction of the time writing that you did whining about people in this thread, you might actually improve.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

When you actually have any writing or anything constructive whatsoever to contribute to this subforum, I'll gladly stop "bitchin." Right now all you are doing is demonstrating why nobody is taking you seriously. I'm not sure I have the time or the crayons to explain that in a way that will get through to you, since you seem absolutely intent on plugging your ears to any and all feedback, but if you spent a fraction of the time writing that you did whining about people in this thread, you might actually improve.

You the only one whinin'. I be shinin' wid muscle sweat.

Ps. You're seriously blowing things out of proportion.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hey all, lets all not be mean to each other and talk about grammar

why do you think that books that use lots of adverbs manage to be so popular in books intended for younger audience???????????????????? thanks.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

I like how you're trying to sound tough but actually sound like a massive pussy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Sithsaber posted:

Ps. You're seriously blowing things out of proportion.

You should try lifting a book.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

You should try lifting a book.
:drat:

Dude trying to avoid the criticism by flexing your "muscles" is the most hilariously dumb thing. Nobody believes you, and it wouldn't matter anyway.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jagermonster posted:

False. Cyberpunk is the worst.

WHAT TH oh right you are correct cyberpunk is the worst

I have written basically nothing outside tdome apart from recaps for my role-playing group so I guess I can post those if we are doing a schadenfreude challenge?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't know if this is more fiction advice or just life advice, but I've been having some heavy motivation issues lately, and I'm just wondering what people use to focus and get their writing done. I think last time, you guys had suggested setting aside a certain amount of time each day, which I've thought about but never managed to put into practice. Do people have anything else they've found to motivate themselves (in general, or in specific for writing)? I feel like I should note it's not that I don't like writing, it's just that it ends up being a lot lower-effort to browse forums and play Dark Souls.

I deleted Dark Souls from my hard drive today, at least.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
*sitting here looks frantically around for a change of topic*

Um

UM

Hey guys I think that Straight White Americans write the very best PoC/LGBTQ characters how bout you

^_^;

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Djeser posted:

I don't know if this is more fiction advice or just life advice, but I've been having some heavy motivation issues lately, and I'm just wondering what people use to focus and get their writing done. I think last time, you guys had suggested setting aside a certain amount of time each day, which I've thought about but never managed to put into practice. Do people have anything else they've found to motivate themselves (in general, or in specific for writing)? I feel like I should note it's not that I don't like writing, it's just that it ends up being a lot lower-effort to browse forums and play Dark Souls.

always x time, go into a separate PLACE (coffee shop, porch, kitchen etc) from where you do dumb stuff, remove distractions the moment you do.

this forces you to write, and eventually you associate the time/place with writing.

the place thing really helped me a lot. i think it just eventually sent a division in my brain that goes "its writin time"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Djeser posted:

Kind of in the same vein as setting aside time, but creating "deadlines" helps me, even if there aren't any actual stakes. Often reading a great story or seeing the work of another creative person inspires me, whether they are a writer or not. Seeing people chase their dreams, and in some cases succeed, kind of gets me pumped. Sometimes I feel like I am more afraid of succeeding at something I enjoy doing than failing, for whatever reason, so a little external pressure can go a long ways.

I don't think it's uncommon to have fallow periods, though. I know everyone tosses around some daily number of words you must write to be a "writer," but there are tons of great authors that don't, and I think the pressure of trying to adhere to that can be detrimental to some people. Once you feel like you are behind, it's a lot easier to rationalize giving up or putting it off.

Steven King has a funny little apocryphal story about Joyce:

quote:

“A friend came to visit James Joyce one day and found the great man sprawled across his writing desk in a posture of utter despair.
James, what’s wrong?' the friend asked. 'Is it the work?'
Joyce indicated assent without even raising his head to look at his friend. Of course it was the work; isn’t it always?
How many words did you get today?' the friend pursued.
Joyce (still in despair, still sprawled facedown on his desk): 'Seven.'
Seven? But James… that’s good, at least for you.'
Yes,' Joyce said, finally looking up. 'I suppose it is… but I don’t know what order they go in!”

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

always x time, go into a separate PLACE (coffee shop, porch, kitchen etc) from where you do dumb stuff, remove distractions the moment you do.

this forces you to write, and eventually you associate the time/place with writing.

the place thing really helped me a lot. i think it just eventually sent a division in my brain that goes "its writin time"

This is 100% essential for me. I cannot write at home. It also creates this feeling of "going to work" in that you have to become presentable, gather your things, travel there, and if you end up opening google docs or whatever and can't think of a single thing to write, you won't just say "hmm gently caress it" and play League of Legends, you'll think, "I came all this way..." and you generally end up sitting there and staying focused on the writing.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I heard one about P.G. Wodehouse. A friend visits him in his study and asks "so what have you managed today?"

Wodehouse says "I added a comma to this one sentence." His friend snorts and leaves.

The friend visits again the next day. "So, friend, what's today's progress? Another comma?"

"No," says Wodehouse, "I took the first one back out."

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I saw 95 unread posts in this thread and clicked, hoping to see delightful chatter about fiction writing.

My novel has been stuck at 4,800 words for the past two weeks and I don't know why.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Liam Emsa posted:

I saw 95 unread posts in this thread and clicked, hoping to see delightful chatter about fiction writing.

My novel has been stuck at 4,800 words for the past two weeks and I don't know why.

Are you stuck on one particular scene? If so, it might help to "fast forward" a bit and start fleshing out a future plot element. I've definitely had times where I can't think of a good way to get from Point A to B, and sometimes just picking up at Point C can help create that bridge.

That being said, I think everyone has a few moments during the process of writing a longer piece where they start questioning everything, which can definitely lead to stagnation. Some people can force their way through the plateau by sheer will, others need to take a break and work on something else, or get a fresh pair of eyes to give their impression, etc.

Is there anything in specific you find yourself struggling with?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In the middle of a scene where a man abandons his dying wife so he can save the lives of his children, you chose to intentionally mis-spell the word 'Hollywood' why exactly? What is the humorous intent here?

Dammit Muffin I know this post was from a page or so ago but how can you not see the joke Cache Cab was making. You wrote 'spell mistakes' instead of 'spelling mistakes' and Cache Cab was making a joke about how you couldn't possibly tell whether he had made mistakes with his spells, GOSH.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

PYF Terrible Writer confession.

I once wrote a poem called an essay in poetical form about why -being a young angry middle class white man- my opinions are correct and yours are not.

It was self-aware but not very self-aware.

edit: all of my poems had really long titles because it was subversive man, you just don't get it. That's how I ended up with titles like I'm writing this poem about Calvin and Hobbes but since Bill Waterman doesn't want me to use his copyrighted characters I will have to indirectly talk about a boy and his toy tiger which is in-and-of-itself an act of rebellion. This shows up in some of my earlier TD pieces as well.

You are the Fall Out Boy of poetry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Djeser posted:

Do people have anything else they've found to motivate themselves (in general, or in specific for writing)?
I am going through the process of fighting depression, the great unmotivator, and most of the advice I read seems to say don't beat yourself up.

I advocated writing 2,000 words a day a few pages back, and while that's a worthy eventual goal if you want it to be a profession, 1k a day is probably more reasonable progress. Even if you have to open up a separate word document & write complete crap that has nothing to do with the story, the act of writing strengthens the neural pathways involved in producing prose and will make it easier the next day, and the next. Get yourself into a rhythm.

Also don't beat yourself up about video games. If you make your entire life work with no play... Well, we've all seen The Shining haven't we. Reward yourself with a bit of gaming if you meet your target.

Disclaimer: I have never thunderdomed and am not making any money yet. I am however finding the above advice useful in breaking my own mental deadlocks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I find deadlines are absolutely necessary, because I am a hideous procrastinator. On the other hand I once wrote and turned in for English class a self-insert story about New Kids on the Block, so it's all relative.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

PYF Terrible Writer confession.

I once wrote a poem called an essay in poetical form about why -being a young angry middle class white man- my opinions are correct and yours are not.

It was self-aware but not very self-aware.

edit: all of my poems had really long titles because it was subversive man, you just don't get it. That's how I ended up with titles like I'm writing this poem about Calvin and Hobbes but since Bill Waterman doesn't want me to use his copyrighted characters I will have to indirectly talk about a boy and his toy tiger which is in-and-of-itself an act of rebellion. This shows up in some of my earlier TD pieces as well.

It's Bill Watterson you idiot bitch misspeller

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ooh, crimes against writing. Let's see.

I once wrote Blackadder fanfiction for an essay question on the final exam for a college humanities class. Then there were the comedy gangland reinterpretations of certain stories from the Gospels that I did at my very religious high school. (They at least went over well)

Then there was the horrible poo poo I was writing in Thunderdome a year ago. (And rather less than a year ago)

I am of course ashamed of exactly none of this.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Confession: I got suckered in by Forward Press as a teenager with 'poetry' based heavily on Manic Street Preachers lyrics.

The most embarrassing thing is that my mum still to this day tells people that I was one of the "top 100 poets*" in the country, and has kept all the books.

* They released a 'best of' compilation called this. I won £200. I bought a long black coat with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

:drat:

Dude trying to avoid the criticism by flexing your "muscles" is the most hilariously dumb thing. Nobody believes you, and it wouldn't matter anyway.

That was the joke. Good news, apparently my computer might be fixed without wiping the data. I'll know tomorrow. I'll leave because of the hostility.

• Locked thread