Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't the general D&D consensus that the main young guys with political ambitions (Castro, Booker) are still too young?

I think in terms of Booker, it's that he's been found out as a really lovely Dem.

I don't know if there's dirt on Castro, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brannock posted:

Biden looks like a lich.

Are there seriously no young 2016 Democratic challengers?

The democrats are too afraid to nominate someone born after Jimmy Carter's presidency.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't the general D&D consensus that the main young guys with political ambitions (Castro, Booker) are still too young?

Castro will be 42 if Hillary taps him for VP and 50 if they serve two terms together.

He'd be older than Obama was in 2008 if that happened.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

SedanChair posted:

Today Joe Biden visited Renton Technical College.

Biden's motorcade caused traffic delays.

VP Biden’s visit bringing Seattle-area traffic to a standstill

Wednesday is enrollment day at Renton WorkSource GED study program, which partners with RTC. Thursday is assessment day. If you miss your assessment you have to wait another week to begin the program, BIDEN VISITS TECHNICAL COLLEGE, SECRET SERVICE MOTORCADE PREVENTS JOBLESS LATINOS, HOMELESS TEENS FROM BEGINNING SCHOOL :unsmigghh:

it's not as though seattle traffic isn't a giant cluster gently caress on the best of days though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Trabisnikof posted:

The democrats are too afraid to nominate someone born after Jimmy Carter's presidency.

That person would still be considered very young for president.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

That person would still be considered very young for president.

unconstitutionally young... 35 years have not elapsed since 1981

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

I don't think we should continue on this topic without making sure that everyone sees the incredibly stupid thing Eric Schmidt said during that panel event with Rand. Here it is: “Gamify the lessons. … As jobs get automated away, the only thing we can do is have smarter people.”

And I was just reading today about how there is a huge glut of post docs in math and hard sciences who are graduating and can't find jobs.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

Like he said, afraid.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Grapeshot posted:

Call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons

Late but this is fantastic

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fried Chicken posted:

And I was just reading today about how there is a huge glut of post docs in math and hard sciences who are graduating and can't find jobs.
B-but I thought STEM jobs were a guaranteed thing!

Caros
May 14, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

Late but this is fantastic

Its also a lyric from a Lonely Island song circa 2008.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

That Salt+Straw ice cream might be hipster ice cream but it's really, really good.

Lumberjack Stack is fantastic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

B-but I thought STEM jobs were a guaranteed thing!

It is if you come from the right family, have the appropriate connections, and attend the correct university with sufficient alumni network and networking events.

Or, "it is when every other type of job is already a guaranteed thing"!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Caros posted:

Its also a lyric from a Lonely Island song circa 2008.

Well gently caress, I thought dude was just really clever!

Also technology is terrible. I say this as a tech person. Tech culture is hilariously bad and I think it's funny that people think the problem is that the stakeholders aren't going and getting their voices heard by Google, et. al.

Google, et. al. don't seek their input or when they do, it's only the voices that are predisposed to their point. If you want a great example of how top-down Ed tech fucks up go read up on inBloom, another Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation initiative.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is if you come from the right family, have the appropriate connections, and attend the correct university with sufficient alumni network and networking events.

Or, "it is when every other type of job is already a guaranteed thing"!

A guaranteed job in finance. Not in what their phd was in.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

It's also important to note that labor participation peaked around 2000 so it's not like declining labor participation is solely due to the recession.

Why has it been declining all this time exactly?

Fried Chicken posted:

Sounds like they're just being lazy.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

hobbesmaster posted:

A guaranteed job in finance. Not in what their phd was in.

After some of the poo poo I've read over the past year, all I could do was say "ouch" when I read your post.
Get rich and gently caress up the rest of the world, oh yes!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm applying to an MBA program this week and my inner leftist is feeling a little defeated.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Grapeshot posted:

Call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons

Yup.

Sorry, Shageletic, couldn't let this one go to waste.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Interweb posted:

Why has it been declining all this time exactly?

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/article/labor-force-projections-to-2022-the-labor-force-participation-rate-continues-to-fall.htm

Tl;dr - a combination of factors, including the fact that large numbers of Boomers are retiring right now, a reduced fertility rate (which means that there are fewer workers), and that 16-22 year olds are not going to work (because of increased college participation rates or just "not dropping out of high school").

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Albinator posted:

Yup.

Sorry, Shageletic, couldn't let this one go to waste.

gently caress that's cold. Is this imperialism??

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

So glad I didn't get a PhD.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

So glad I didn't get a PhD.

It gets better. From an article from a few months back, we hit equilibrium on engineering and CS professionals. Which means that those jobs will be driven to the ground in time. We didn't need to get more H1Bs to get the job done.

I find myself mixed with feelings of sympathy for the students that will hit that wall in time and disgust for those who go on about how viable and plentiful those jobs are because they will just accuse those students of laziness or making poor choices.

Can we eat the rich yet?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

gently caress that's cold. Is this imperialism??

No no, we don't do that.

Hegemonism? Well, maybe.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Edit:
sorry, this post was not about US politics.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 10, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a big thread on it already because it didn't really have anything to do with US politics

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Aliquid posted:

there's a big thread on it already because it didn't really have anything to do with US politics

How silly, everything has to do with US politics.
I'll find the thread, thanks.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Aliquid posted:

the disappearance of the leader of a nuclear armed state whose collapse could completely gently caress up some of our biggest trading partners is a pretty important thing for US politics.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

the disappearance of the leader of a nuclear armed state whose collapse could completely gently caress up some of our biggest trading partners is a pretty important thing for US politics.

I can't stop the potential derail if you say what I edited out of my post!
Actually, that thread is horrible and I hope it gets better because page one sucked.

Edit: page 2 sucks as well.
Edit: that whole thread sucks.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 10, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pohl posted:

I can't stop the potential derail if you say what I edited out of my post!
Actually, that thread is horrible and I hope it gets better because page one sucked.

actually yeah, i agree. vice and the daily show sure are making a fuss, but everyone else seems pretty cautious and nobody reads cautious articles :shobon:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't finished school yet. Maybe it's not too late to switch. What are the "proper useful degrees" now that CS and engineering are overpopulated? :ohdear:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

I haven't finished school yet. Maybe it's not too late to switch. What are the "proper useful degrees" now that CS and engineering are overpopulated? :ohdear:

Do what you want to do. By the time you finish, anything that sounded great will be overstaffed and outdated.
Basically, do what you like.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

Biden looks like a lich.

Are there seriously no young 2016 Democratic challengers?

No, there ain't a lot of 35-40 challengers around now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Booker's inexperience would make Obama look like LBJ and he's best known for being a nice guy. Which means he will get his rear end handed to him or he'll be so involved in the political game that you'd probably be better off with George P. Bush instead.

Jagchosis posted:

It will have been exactly 35 years in 2016. :ssh:

Ditocoaf posted:

Become an electrician or a similar hands-on job. Those seem to be in short supply in no small part due to the dumb "if you don't get a college degree gently caress you you worthless scum" mentality that gets pushed.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pohl posted:

Do what you want to do. By the time you finish, anything that sounded great will be overstaffed and outdated.
Basically, do what you like.

This is still horrible advice if "what you like" is dancing or playing music. Just saying. And for the record, this is coming from a person with a music performance degree who actually made an above poverty level wage with it for awhile before retraining.

If you love that stuff, secure a day job first, then pursue it as an avocation that might make money...unless you're gifted at marketing and have good connections of course!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Okay, so stupid hypothetical. Which candidates for either party would make for a truly generational election? And would the candidates chosen by both parties, no matter their age, represent a generational politics? Clinton vs. Paul jumps out at me in this scenario, as Gen X citizens are fairly likely to vote and skew conservative/libertarian. Who could run that could turn out Millennials in greater-than-Obama numbers?

What are the chances the Democratic candidate is older than the Republican candidate? What are the chances that candidate is older by a whole generation than the opponent? Correct me please, but I believe Romney is the only viable boomer Republican candidate, which signals a major coming shift in generational politics. I'm probably leaving out the B-team, I actually don't know how old Kasich and folk are. I'm not considering Christie a viable national candidate because he's not.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 10, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Become an electrician or a similar hands-on job. Those seem to be in short supply in no small part due to the dumb "if you don't get a college degree gently caress you you worthless scum" mentality that gets pushed.

I had a plumber today telling me that everyone is a goddamn plumber now, which happened while he was looking right at the maintenance guy from my apartment. This is a long story so I won't bore you, but the plumber straight up told the maintenance guy that he was poo poo, and then insulted him further by saying he did it for $10 an hour or whatever he makes. It was really loving brutal.

He did that because maintenance people had been in in my apartment for two days and had been unable to fix the problem. Luckily I'm moving in a few weeks, because they cut the loving wall apart and cut a bunch of pipes and just holy poo poo. I have an incredible mess.

The point I'm trying to make is, even being qualified in a particular field like plumbing isn't a guarantee of a job. Everyone is hiring the cheapest person available, and that is often the 'handyman'.

Everyone is a goddamn plumber now. Today was a really bizarre day.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Okay, so stupid hypothetical. Which candidates for either party would make for a truly generational election? And would the candidates chosen by both parties, no matter their age, represent a generational politics? Clinton vs. Paul jumps out at me in this scenario, as Gen X citizens are fairly likely to vote and skew conservative/libertarian. Who could run that could turn out Millennials in greater-than-Obama numbers?

What are the chances the Democratic candidate is older than the Republican candidate? What are the chances that candidate is older by a whole generation than the opponent? Correct me please, but I believe Romney is the only viable boomer Republican candidate, which signals a major coming shift in generational politics.

Irrelevant, no matter how many twenty-year olds vote republican it won't make up for their grandparents being dead.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bear in mind though, that because of how strenuous the job can be, that you will not work as long as a desk job would allow depending on what you are doing. Be smart, invest wisely and you will have something to retire on when you can't do it anymore assuming the economy doesn't implode again because of jackass investors.

Not trying to discourage you but a lot of career advice and educational advice, while well meaning, doesn't quite grasp how stupid the job market is like. Some degrees are hazardous to future employment but even high demand degrees are not sure bets. Especially with a lack of connections. Research well and keep at it until you have a job or the revolution comes. Whichever comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Irrelevant, no matter how many twenty-year olds vote republican it won't make up for their grandparents being dead.

i just spent the evening with a room full of my chronological peers but the average family size was like seven and i'm still hyperventilating

• Locked thread