Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

:iceburn:

FinalGamer posted:

I need those to make up for having NO StreetSmash, I live in the loving sticks so StreetPass is hardly available to me :v: I'm REALLY hoping the second set of challenges doesn't have a hammer hiding under "Get five hits on StreetSmash" or I'm gonna be pissed.
I think the hammers are hidden under them :( I'm stuck now with 3 StreetPass "challenges" that stops me from completing the second challenge panel, which really sucks.

On a different subject, is there anywhere to go for advice on how to play certain characters/types of characters?. While I've had every Smash game since 64, I've never really tried to "understand" the game and how to play the different characters/types, so I generally end up using the same tactics on all characters; Pursuing with running attacks and aerial attacks, with smashes for finishing someone off. I kinda rarely use specials (except with Ganondorf) because they often seem very risky, and I have no idea how to use ranged attacks so I usually just run up and hit people in the face with those characters too.

There are so many awesome characters right now, but I think the ones I'm most interested in getting good at would be Villager, Bowser Jr., Mii Brawler, Dedede and Jigglypuff.. and most of the rest.

vvv :aaa: :aaa: :aaa: vvv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You can do every streetsmash challenge in practice mode except tag 5 real life people, you know.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I still haven't settled on who I want to git gud with, I'm hopelessly addicted to the random button. :shepface:

ZSS will be one of them for sure, she was easily my best in Brawl and she's even better now.

edit: Maybe Sheik and Greninja too, I like ninjas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

On a different subject, is there anywhere to go for advice on how to play certain characters/types of characters?. While I've had every Smash game since 64, I've never really tried to "understand" the game and how to play the different characters/types, so I generally end up using the same tactics on all characters; Pursuing with running attacks and aerial attacks, with smashes for finishing someone off. I kinda rarely use specials (except with Ganondorf) because they often seem very risky, and I have no idea how to use ranged attacks so I usually just run up and hit people in the face with those characters too.
Specials are only risky based on the move. Fox's blaster comes out and is put away super fast, and basically exists to be spammed. 50% of Samus's gameplan is missiles.

Your first mistake is putting specials in some sort of holy category. They're moves like anything else you have in your arsenal. Some of them are slow and risky and require a big commitment, some of them are really spammable, some are good in certain situations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FinalGamer posted:

Maybe someone got a little TOO deep into the dream. Also I wish Classic mode would mix stages up way more, I completely forgot there was a Gerudo Valley stage because it kept loving picking Spirit Tracks, gawd.

Oddly Spirit Tracks was a stage I only saw in SMASH Mode. I kept getting the Reset Bomb stage a lot in Classic Mode.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What's the best way to recover upon landing on the ground after being launched upwards? I know you can press shield just as you land to get up quick but all this serves to do is to make me instantly vulnerable to another attack.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

I don't think it was a sick burn. I think it was just him saying that the biggest demographic for Smash is made of kids who simply don't concern themselves with the kind of things most of us here gripe about. I do think his restaurant analogy is flawed (to put it mildly), though.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This is very important and needs to be seen by everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deepshock posted:

I do think his restaurant analogy is flawed (to put it mildly), though.
How so? If the clones weren't in the game, there'd just be nothing in their place. It fits. They're a bonus.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I just discovered Wario's bike can slam the front tire down after doing a wheelie and it's a really strong kill move. I feel like I've seen the face of God.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Endorph posted:

How so? If the clones weren't in the game, there'd just be nothing in their place. It fits. They're a bonus.

I'd say it's more like there being six different variations on a menu item in addition to a wide array of other different menu items. One could chow down on any number of the items in the menu, or just one or two. I didn't imply that the clones are replacing proper characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Endorph posted:

Specials are only risky based on the move. Fox's blaster comes out and is put away super fast, and basically exists to be spammed. 50% of Samus's gameplan is missiles.

Your first mistake is putting specials in some sort of holy category. They're moves like anything else you have in your arsenal. Some of them are slow and risky and require a big commitment, some of them are really spammable, some are good in certain situations.

For people who put a huge amount of importance on specials over normals, I'd recommend two different things to them.

1. Mega Man, Game and Watch, Villager, Zelda, Ness. These characters have specials that are either absolute poo poo, or very situational. With enough effort put into being good with them, you will break out of an insistence on specials, if only because a specials-only Game and Watch or Villager is going to get stomped by head-on characters like Little Mac and Captain Falcon.

2. Marth/Lucina, Ike, Captain Falcon. Breaking out of a habit like this is hard, so these characters might help in the meantime; with only their specials, they do at least manage to stand. The Blue-Haired Anime Swordsmen have defenses, recovery, a bit of aerial play, and both a way to dish out damage and land the killing blow; you're severely weakened if you never hit the A button, buttheir specials have all the tools you need. Falcon has less methods to rack up damage, but makes up for it with stronger aerial game and even more knockback, so he can pursue plenty.

EDIT: vv Welp, I can't read. In that case he should learn the majesty of Monado Arts, Thunder, and pretty much all of DK's specials. Kirby might be a decent challenge, too; steal their neutral B, and don't give yourself a pass until you can learn how to leverage it against them. In the meantime, enjoy Stone.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 10, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deepshock posted:

I'd say it's more like there being six different variations on a menu item. One could chow down on any number of the items in the menu, or just one or two. I didn't imply that the clones are replacing proper characters.
youre really bad at metaphors

Cleretic posted:

For people who put a huge amount of importance on specials over normals, I'd recommend two different things to them.

1. Mega Man, Game and Watch, Villager, Zelda, Ness. These characters have specials that are either absolute poo poo, or very situational. With enough effort put into being good with them, you will break out of an insistence on specials, if only because a specials-only Game and Watch or Villager is going to get stomped by head-on characters like Little Mac and Captain Falcon.

2. Marth/Lucina, Ike, Captain Falcon. Breaking out of a habit like this is hard, so these characters might help in the meantime; with only their specials, they do at least manage to stand. The Blue-Haired anime Swordsmen have defenses, recovery, a bit of aerial play, and both a way to dish out damage and land the killing blow; you're severely weakened if you never hit the A button, buttheir specials have all the tools you need. Falcon has less methods to rack up damage, but makes up for it with stronger aerial game and even more knockback, so he can pursue plenty.

This dude's problem is the opposite. Instead of using nothing but specials, they never use their specials.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've had more instant quits/suicides whenever I play as Rosalina. People really don't like facing her.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I still don't really know when to grab? It seems pretty useless, since it's so hard to land. I always just end up whiffing and getting killed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Suspicious Cook posted:

I just discovered Wario's bike can slam the front tire down after doing a wheelie and it's a really strong kill move. I feel like I've seen the face of God.

I should try that. I tried Wario out in "For Glory" and actually got second in a four man brawl. The bike is just so fun to use in that mode due to the flat surface.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Computer posted:

I think the hammers are hidden under them :( I'm stuck now with 3 StreetPass "challenges" that stops me from completing the second challenge panel, which really sucks.

You can tell which panels hide hammers, you know. They're the lighter colored blocks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's vital that I learn how to do this.

Honestly I don't even really know how to control wario's bike, I just drive it around the stage a few times before jumping off

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Your first mistake is putting specials in some sort of holy category ...some are good in certain situations.

It's more like the second. A lot of them seem so situational as to be useless, while I know they aren't. When do I use Dedede's Gordo Throw for example? Why use Jigglypuff's Pound at all instead of a normal attack?

I also hear words like zoning/spacing thrown around, at what range certain characters want their opponent etc. and I literally have no idea where to even start with that one.

Austrian mook posted:

I still don't really know when to grab?

I still don't know why to grab :downs:

Strange Quark posted:

You can tell which panels hide hammers, you know. They're the lighter colored blocks.

:aaa: I was wondering why some where a different color! I figured it was an indication of progress or something.

On an unrelated note, I wish Mii's were usable online :( Toad needs revenge on all those who have wronged him:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Why use Jigglypuff's Pound at all instead of a normal attack?

Pound has mad priority (and damages shields I think)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You grab when you expect someone to be shielding, or to interrupt an attack with a long windup like Falcon Punch.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

mabels big day posted:

It's vital that I learn how to do this.

Honestly I don't even really know how to control wario's bike, I just drive it around the stage a few times before jumping off

You press up for a wheelie then down to slam the tire. In For Glory with nowhere to run you're just making roadkill out of the competition. :black101:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm looking at records and gotta ask, wtf is Disconnects: Griefing. It's "Number of times you've been disconnected due to picking on a particular player too much." :psyduck:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

mabels big day posted:

and now we have all of them! Except pichu

With all the hate he got, I have no idea how Pichu evolved.

So, I'm doing classic as all characters, and I just do not get Robin.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If Pikachu gets a clone some time down the line, I hope it's Raichu.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Travis343 posted:

Dr Mario is the poo poo especially since Mario still has his bullshit Down B move from Brawl.

Naw his F-Air isn't a really satisfying Meteor Smash so therefore he is worse then Mario in everyway.

Also he jumps like someone kneecapped him. Which is bullshit, he still Mario he should be able to jump like a hyper pogo stick

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Level Slide posted:

If Pikachu gets a clone some time down the line, I hope it's Raichu.

He had one. It was Pichu.

Then Smash 64/Melee Pikachu retired and Melee Pichu evolved into Brawl/Smash4 Pikachu. (You can tell because of the goggles.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEC8m-ckNfI

More unused announcer clips. Amiibo, Smash World (?) and a few other interesting things.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Pound has mad priority (and damages shields I think)

I don't know about it having some kind of special priority or not but Pound wrecks shields if they don't perfect shield it. If I'm not mistaken two Pounds should be good enough to break a shield. So, you wanna play a guessing game with them when you're approaching. You've conditioned them to expect fair because, seriously, what else are you going to do? So they've started to block pretty often. Throw in a Pound on the next approach and it really pressures their shield. Now if you're able to attack them again before they can regenerate a bit of shield and they want to block they're put into a dilemma: do they risk the block? If it's Pound again they'll be dizzy and you get a free attack.

Of course, it doesn't go NEARLY as smoothly as I've described it. Pound is also great for stopping your momentum. If you're jumping forward and you want to go backwards instantly it'll do that for you. It just has a lot of lag afterwards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey join the Steam chat and Smash it up with Goons:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SuperSmashGoons

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Holy poo poo Dedede's gordos loving obliterate Master Core.

e: Dedede's gordo lob is like a top 4 move along with the Ganondorf choke and Wario bike and Falcon knee.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Your Computer posted:

It's more like the second. A lot of them seem so situational as to be useless, while I know they aren't. When do I use Dedede's Gordo Throw for example? Why use Jigglypuff's Pound at all instead of a normal attack?

Oh man I wanna write a whole essay on the gordo throw for you. seriously, that move alone turned DeDeDe into my favorite character. Basically, having access to a move like that (unless you're facing a character like, say, Samus, who can inflict some serious damage and knockback at range) means you can force THEM to approach YOU and have control over how they do so. DeDeDe is actually a great example of a character who doesn't play well with the rushdown tactics you're describing -- you have very strong attacks with high priority (meaning, if you and your opponent swing into each other at the same time, they'll get hurt and you won't) but most of them have significant start-up time and if you're the one on the approach, the enemy can usually get their hits in before you have a chance to attack. The Gordo Throw is great because, even though it's slow and not too tricky for a skilled player to block or dodge, when it hits it hits hard so they HAVE to avoid it. It's not like Fox's laser or something where it's fine to take a few hits from it as you rush in. So-- you know how you can push a direction on the circle pad to control the spin of the Gordo, right? well, if you hit it forward, your opponent is either (A) going to have to shield it or dodge through it or (B) jump over it. if A happens, you've slowed them down and hopefully get an opportunity to get the first hit in. if B happens, you have some great options in the form of your neutral air attack or your forward air attack, which have awesome speed and range, respectively. this isn't really scratching the surface of all the tricks you can pull off with that thing, and a better player could probably get into it much more thoroughly than I can, but that move is a really powerful toolbox in and of itself. A lot of the game's big heavy hitters like Donkey Kong and Bowser don't have a lot of options at range and need to make themselves vulnerable while going in for the kill -- with DeDeDe, you can make hanging out on the other side of the stage a very risky proposition for your opponent, which forces them closer to you which is actually right where you want them.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gordos are really good fuel for Shulk's counter.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Gordos are absolutely incredible. Remember you can hold up on activation to make them bounce high and close to you. You can also use this to drop them off ledges like Villager's bowling ball.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Gordos are really good fuel for Shulk's counter.

Powerful, versatile, and extremely easy to backfire hilariously and hurt yourself. It's the perfect move.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every match where both my 1v1 deaths are to my own gordos is a good match.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Austrian mook posted:

Wow Palutena is garbage. I literally can't beat this team of Pikachu's in classic mode and I'm trying my hardest. Although, I keep dying to item spawns instead of the actual enemies.

I play a lot of Palutena and she's not bad if you play her right, she's far from garbage.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I had the best random fight in for glory. I was Robin, they were Link, and whenever I ran out of thunder/elfire to spam at each other, we just taunted each other from across the stage. Makes me wish we could add someone's friend code after the game.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You know if you attack a Gordo, it reflects back at Dedede, right? Even Mario's fireball is enough for it to switch allegiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
For glory 1v1 is the best because when you beat someone and they stick around they will pick their main (usually Little Mac) and then you school them and they rage quit out.

So good. ZERO SUIT 4 LIFE

• Locked thread