Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...
Has anyone figured out why during the life on mars scene it cut to Lange watching the performance in a completely different costume, hair, and make up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Kennedy posted:

Has anyone figured out why during the life on mars scene it cut to Lange watching the performance in a completely different costume, hair, and make up?

I assumed it was hinting about how Elsa really felt inside. All her insecurities and all that. It's one of those things that would usually be cut because audiences hate being confused, so I'm really happy they had it in there.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
This probably goes without saying, but you can easily correlate the actual lyrics to "Life on Mars?" with Elsa during that scene. The idea of being stuck in reality, knowing there's a better existence out there, yet it's just beyond reach.

quote:

And she's hooked to the silver screen
But the film is a saddening bore
For she's lived it ten times or more

Which is essentially what Elsa is doing, presumably watching her own performances on film in a saddened gaze.

Also, she effectively admitted to Ethel that the only reason she maintains the freak show (not just the acqusition of Bette & Dot,) is to have a place for people to come see her. You could argue the revelation that she herself is without legs, suggests that in the back of her mind, she knows that no amount of attraction or fame or good fortune is going to change her life. For she is forever, a "freak."

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i hope we hear twisty talk

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

John Romero posted:

i hope we hear twisty talk

I hope he has the same accent as Kathy Bates' character, she sounds like Philly Boy Roy

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Emma Roberts had a terrible wig in that preview.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Feenix posted:

How old is your daughter you loving monster?

6, but she's very mature for her age.

Kinda funny that it was the balloon animals that freaked her out. My wife wouldn't even come into the room while the clown was on. Thankfully they both missed the lobster hand entertaining young women and freak orgy because my wife would probably have thrown something through the television.

Just kidding, my daughter is 18

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
Am I the only one who was a little disappointed with this episode? I love a good evil clown, but I didn't think he was very scary. And the rest of the show was definitely more freak show than horror show.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wormil posted:

Just kidding, my daughter is 18

Ok, ok... you're fine then.

PIcs?

I'm kidding... she's too old for me.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

SomethingLiz posted:

Am I the only one who was a little disappointed with this episode? I love a good evil clown, but I didn't think he was very scary. And the rest of the show was definitely more freak show than horror show.

Theres something wrong with your brain meat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twisty better have some hosed up poo poo under his makeup. There's a mask over his mouth and I will not accept Joker scars, Murphy.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

SomethingLiz posted:

I went in assuming it was going to be a setup episode, which is was, as I'm sure the first few will be. AHS doesn't do anything in a hurry, so I'm going to wait until a couple episodes in before really weighing in on it.

At least it's taking itself more seriously than Coven, so far :shobon:

Also you're just wrong about Twisty, sorry.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 10, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SomethingLiz posted:

I don't think you're wrong to say that. I'm still kind of ambivalent on everything besides the clown which is why I decided to give it one more week to see if some plot develops or if it's just going to spin wheels for another season.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Twisty better have some hosed up poo poo under his makeup. There's a mask over his mouth and I will not accept Joker scars, Murphy.

I like to think he did something to himself to melt his face and the mask together.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SomethingLiz posted:

I thought it was a good episode but it probably didn't need 90 minutes, especially since Chiklis and Bassett somehow didn't make it into this one. Those were the characters, along with Bates, that I was most looking forward to seeing.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like the premiere. I got scared, sad and excited for the rest of the season. I hope it delivers.

Also, can anyone spoil Coven for me? I dropped it after they took a break and didn't watch the last episodes since I wasn't enjoying the season.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

radlum posted:

I like the premiere. I got scared, sad and excited for the rest of the season. I hope it delivers.

Also, can anyone spoil Coven for me? I dropped it after they took a break and didn't watch the last episodes since I wasn't enjoying the season.

It's not even worth knowing how it ends, just that it was very unfulfilling and none of the plots that the audience actually cared about got satisfying resolutions.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

radlum posted:

Imagine the writing had no direction and a bunch of random poo poo happened because that's what happened. Actually I don't remember or I would tell you but I think someone finally became Supreme, probably blind herbalist daughter witch, but I've purged it from my mind.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I prefer to think as Coven as a vehicle for Steven Nicks' incredibly embarrassing, multi-episode, product-placement cameo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

radlum posted:

The daughter of the Supreme, I think, became the next Supreme. The girl who was loving Zombie Tate got choked out for being mean and then they went to Disneyworld to celebrate (that's not a joke). Kathy Bates ended up being really racist even though she watched an hour of Roots so she was sent to hell for all eternity. Her version of hell is watching her daughters that were introduced once getting tortured.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

radlum posted:

Steve Nicks showed up.
Papa Legba showed up and became the most important character.
Nan got drowned by Fiona and Leveau; no one cared (not even Nan).
Queenie self-rez'd off-screen.
Misty got stuck in hell and died.
Madison got choked out by ZombieTate.
Zoe teleported onto a spike and died, then resurrected by Cordelia.
Cordelia's the new supreme.
Myrtle got burned at the stake a second time.
Lalaurie chopped Leveau into tiny pieces and scattered them around New Orleans.
Queenie did something or other that effectively 'killed' Lalaurie.
Lalaurie's hell is watching her daughters tortured by Leveau (whose hell is torturing Lalaurie's daughters).
Fiona dies from cancer.
Fiona's hell is Knotty Pines with Axeman.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Misty and by association Stevie were the best part about Coven :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Misty and by association Stevie were the best part about Coven :colbert:

The Axeman was pretty great, too. In fact the whole season had some great performances and it was a shame that they were all wasted on such a big loving barely-watchable mess.

Good to see that the show seems to be back on-track this season though. It felt like I was watching something at least comparable to Asylum with that premier, but we'll see where it goes.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Coven did have a lot of good stuff. If you distilled the whole season down to a 3-4 episode supercut (and took liberties fixing the story) it might actually be salvageable.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The whole season without Death meaning nothing and Madison would have made it a lot better for me. Mytle Snow was so loving great, and Beverly Leslie making a cameo made my night when I first saw that episode.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

SomethingLiz posted:

I'm with you on all of this, though I will add I think it was because of the extra 30 minutes, an the fact we were all used to the weird sex stuff now.

If this was the second season, lobster clawing vaginas and opium den gang rape would have been terrifying but we've seen it all before so it has no impact (for me last least).

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I'm liking the slow start to this season. One of my complaints about Asylum is that they threw too many supernatural elements at us too quickly and in a way that made it obvious is was real. It ruined the tension for me.

As of right now there's nothing explicitly magical happening. I'm hoping it will make the inevitable demons or cryptoids or whatever that much better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I honestly have no idea what to think of that first episode. I kind of wish Jessica Lange wasn't once again "the person in charge" and I really don't like her or Bates' fluctuating accents. Twisty is pretty rad and the Irish (?) skeleton tattoo guy owns but I'm honestly ambivalent about the rest. I really hope musical numbers don't become a regular thing and I hope to hell they cement what freaks actually work at the show instead of discarding old ones and having new ones pop up in the background willy nilly.

I just really don't know. Coven was terrible and there were equally good and bad parts about this premiere but I guess I mostly just don't think Ryan Murphy can churn out another even half-decent season.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

You're wrong about the musical numbers. Bring on American Horror Picture Show

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I won't be surprised if there's nothing at all unusual behind Twisty's mask. "The real freaks are normal people" etc etc.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Twisty is nothing. The real freak is that manchild who came to see the show. Something's loving wrong there.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

TrekBek posted:

Twisty is nothing. The real freak is that manchild who came to see the show. Something's loving wrong there.

I predict he kills Twisty in like the third or fourth episode and takes over as the main villain. What a twist!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TrekBek posted:

Mother kept your seat all nice and toasty for you!

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Finally had time to watch the first episode.

I'm pretty pleased with it.

Tod Browning's classic film "Freaks" from 1932 should be required viewing along with this season, by the way. It's a good watch to this day, and surely is the great great granddaddy of this whole season of AHS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Mother kept your seat all nice and toasty for you!

Between Twisty and the manchild, there was a lot of unsettling innocence/childishness in this premiere and I'm wondering if that's going to be a recurring thing this season.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Periodiko posted:

It may not be intentional, but the juxtaposition of aw shucks 50's America, stages and red curtains, dark sexuality, physical deformities, and surreal spurts of violence gave me a real David Lynch vibe. Like, he'd never make something exactly like this, but during the song it just hit me like a wave, that same sense of intensely emotional weirdness. The sense of humor and sense of horror. I dunno.

One thing that really hit me with these juxtapositions is that perfect mid-century suburban interior (so spot on it took my breath away) versus the red/black freakshow baroque.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Also, while I was disappointed that filming wouldn't happen in the actual Jupiter, Florida (and thus putting me within stalking distance of Emma Roberts), I can see why he didn't do it. The desolate swampland aesthetic would be hard to find in modern Jupiter, which is a bunch of soulless upscale condos for snowbirds.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

xeria posted:

Steve Nicks showed up.
Papa Legba showed up and became the most important character.
Nan got drowned by Fiona and Leveau; no one cared (not even Nan).
Queenie self-rez'd off-screen.
Misty got stuck in hell and died.
Madison got choked out by ZombieTate.
Zoe teleported onto a spike and died, then resurrected by Cordelia.
Cordelia's the new supreme.
Myrtle got burned at the stake a second time.
Lalaurie chopped Leveau into tiny pieces and scattered them around New Orleans.
Queenie did something or other that effectively 'killed' Lalaurie.
Lalaurie's hell is watching her daughters tortured by Leveau (whose hell is torturing Lalaurie's daughters).
Fiona dies from cancer.
Fiona's hell is Knotty Pines with Axeman.

For some reason I'm not remembering the bolded one, but I was tuning out a lot past episode 5. Why was that Leveau's hell? Was it because she's just a prop in LaLaurie's hell?

DBlue135
Dec 21, 2005
All I could hear during the musical number was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIb5872TLXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I want to say it was to prove a point that Laveau was as bad as Lalaurie? I don't know honestly, I was half tuned out through the end of that season and that finale, Jesus tap dancing Christ was a poo poo show that was.

Really enjoyed this premier, feels more focused than last year, and it didn't feel like they were just throwing everything at us all at once.

Also I love Sarah Paulson's characters, holy poo poo that's going to be really entertaining this season.

Twisty is awesome and they better not gently caress him up. I hated the latex man from Murder House, Bloody Face was amazing and Axe Man was meh, but Twisty already has my attention. He's doing all his acting through his eyes and body language and that scene in the murder bus when he goes apeshit, I was genuinely creeped out.

Bates accent gives me the giggles, it's so bad. I'm interested to see if Pepper plays a bigger role this season seeing as this is sort of her prequel story, which I know some people are against tying this season to Asylum but I'm actually okay with that idea. I don't need the whole franchise to be tied together in some big dumb way, but I always assumed that the seasons took place in at least the same general universe of "American Horror Story", however tying these two seasons together could be interesting, unless they gently caress it up, which I could easily see them do.

• Locked thread