Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strangely, I'm actually feeling conflicted about stopping the massacre. Besides losing out on chances to save the nonhumans directly, I'm also not sure it'd be what Geralt would actually choose to do at that point. At least, the Geralt I've built up through the game. Not to mention the good person that actually does die from that choice.

Might even try going back to an earlier save and throwing Iorveth the sword this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hit Iorveth the first time I played, I reasoned it with: "Yeah, Roche made the plan fall apart, but giving Iorveth a sword is just gonna make a bad situation worse if he just goes after Roche, when we should be focusing on the kingslayer." Then I did Iorveth's Path because I felt bad about getting Iorveth captured while he was helping me, and I wanted to rescue him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That guy is shockingly amateurish and ineloquent even for an LPer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

It gets so, so much worse.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I beat the game. I don't remember that final ending video though, was that added in a later version? The one with Nilfgaards invasion . All I remember is a video where Geralt saw a butterfly zoom off.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Well, I beat the game. I don't remember that final ending video though, was that added in a later version? The one with Nilfgaards invasion . All I remember is a video where Geralt saw a butterfly zoom off.

As far as I know, it's been in since launch, but that one happens after the credits, so if you didn't stick around, that's probably why.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No, it was added with the Enhanced Edition.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lycus posted:

No, it was added with the Enhanced Edition.

Yeah, thought as much. I guess to prepare for Witcher 3 once they had an idea of where they were taking it.

Anywhere I can watch the various ending slides for Iorveths path? I'm happy with the results I've gotten, and I'm not going to replay the game again to get a new set for the next game, but still.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
edit: ^...beaten?

Beat the game last night, was checking on a wiki and I saw there is another "path" you can take (with Iorveth). Is this worthwhile to do? I feel like I could bang it out pretty quick now that I know how the game works. The game itself was also much shorter than I expected it to be so maybe they're hiding another few hours of content on this other path?

Also Footwork x2 is baller.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Beat the game last night, was checking on a wiki and I saw there is another "path" you can take (with Iorveth). Is this worthwhile to do? I feel like I could bang it out pretty quick now that I know how the game works. The game itself was also much shorter than I expected it to be so maybe they're hiding another few hours of content on this other path?

Yes. Think back to how long chapter 2 was when you're slumming around an army camp with Broche. You get another chapter 2 of similar length that's in my opinion better.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you really like the game, it's worth playing at least 3 times, so you can do the different Act 3 forks too. But yeah, definitely play both Roche and Iorveth's Paths.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Secondary weapons were so weird, I think i only ever used a torch. You already have two specialized swords for all enemies but you can also use this other axe/club with worse stats!

I've started playing this because I don't like playing Witcher 2 with a GTX560 (+i5-4670k) until I get a GTX970. I like it so far, but I've never used a sub-weapon yet and I guess I never well it seems.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, the sub-weapons are useless, just equip whatever looks the coolest.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Iorveth's path is OK but has a lot of filler. Plus the Act 2 boss is exactly the same.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Does anyone happen to know if the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition on Steam uses the same files etc as the GOG version? I'd prefer to be able to copy the files over to my Steam install rather than downloading 22 gigs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That sadly almost never works anymore due to steam encrypting files differently.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

You could copy the files over and then verify integrity of game cache. It should at least reduce the number of files it needs to fetch from Steam servers.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Unless the folder name is something different to The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition it doesn't look like it will recognise the files sadly.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

It's the witcher 2.

You can try just starting the Steam install, close Steam when it starts up, copy the files over and then check the cache.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Iorveth's path is OK but has a lot of filler. Plus the Act 2 boss is exactly the same.

I agree, Iorveth Act 2 felt kinda rushed and disconnected to me overall (and you can miss the sidequest for the Operator way too easily) and Act 3 is just horrible with not being allowed to move freely through the city.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've only ever done Iorveth's path. Does going with Roche mean that you can move through the Temerian and Redonian areas in act 3 without being attacked?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I've only ever done Iorveth's path. Does going with Roche mean that you can move through the Temerian and Redonian areas in act 3 without being attacked?

Yes. All that act occurs doing quests on that area, in fact.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It's the witcher 2.

This worked thanks.

Now to decide what ending to shoot for to get ready for Wild Hunt.. I'm thinking the most Witcher-y path is probably sticking with Iorveth and staying away from politics, but would Geralt save the dragon or Triss? *strokes neckbeard*

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Save Triss to avoid a bloody massacre and get the spell breaking dagger from the guard who stole from Ioverth so you can save the dragon in Wild Hunt.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You could argue that going with Iorveth doesn't keep you out of politics because you actively participate in a revolution.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah but the choice you make is whether to chase the guy who killed the King or try to rescue your friend/lover. Geralt just gets drawn into things along the way. Again *sad trombone*

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah but the choice you make is whether to chase the guy who killed the King or try to rescue your friend/lover.
There's a bit of it being presented that way afterwards in Act 2, particularly by Dandelion if I recall, but I don't think the game does anything to present it that way during At the Crossroads (and I don't think it makes any sense anyway, personally). At the time, I felt like you're going after Triss and the kingslayer simultaneously, you're just choosing which people to do a favor for in exchange for their help.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 8, 2014

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I'd really like for CDPR to come out with a separate app (or even a newgame+ unlock, that'd be better) that would allow you to create w2 saves with all the applicable flags that change dialogue/characters/whatever in w3. Ideally it'd allow you to choose flags from w1 -> w2, and then from w2 -> w3 (dependant on the former, to avoid the sort of siegfried is dead/siegfried is miraculously returned to life).

I really enjoyed w1 and w2, but I'm not about to go back and play through each of them x times to exhaust all the possible options. I appreciate some of the choices that follow through make only extremely small changes, but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult for them to implement. It'd also give console owners an option they wouldn't otherwise have had (at least I assume there's no way to carry saves over from previous gen consoles).

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I agree. Dragon Age 3 has Keep app/webpage that allows you do just that, if previous entries matter in Wild Hunt storyline CDP should also give us that possibility.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I imagine if any choices have a big impact on the game, they will do what BioWare did and let you pick your choices before starting a new game.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is this game worth it if I can pick up a 360 copy for 5-10ish bucks?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Absolutely. And the 360 version is a port that had a lot of love poured in to it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

Quoting myself to say Iorveth's Act 2 is definitely a lot more fun. I completed everything in Act 2, but I skipped most stuff besides the main storyline in Act 3 because I didn't enjoy every guard being aggressive. I think my interest in all those quests is fairly low anyway.

Good stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Quoting myself to say Iorveth's Act 2 is definitely a lot more fun. I completed everything in Act 2, but I skipped most stuff besides the main storyline in Act 3 because I didn't enjoy every guard being aggressive. I think my interest in all those quests is fairly low anyway.

Good stuff.

Just so you know (unless you did that one), there is a side quest in Act 3 of Iorveth's Path that is unavailable in Roche's Path. A puzzle-y archaeological expedition with Nilfgaardian spies.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Just so you know (unless you did that one), there is a side quest in Act 3 of Iorveth's Path that is unavailable in Roche's Path. A puzzle-y archaeological expedition with Nilfgaardian spies.

AW gently caress, I found that quest but then completely forgot to actually play it. Just ran straight from the Operator to the meeting. Does anyone happen to have a savegame where I can play it?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I dropped $6 on the downloadable version that xbox has on sale right now, cause someone bought the copy I was looking at.
Here's hoping I find it as fun as you lot make it sound :v:.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, I just found my old Enhanced Edition copy of Witcher 1, with the manual and CD-key, lying around. Why damnit? Because I'd already pre-ordered Witcher 3 and lost out on the savings I could've gotten by having that in my games list on GoG :(

Not that I mind giving the developers more money, they deserve it.

Edit: VVVV I don't know, sounds like a bunch of work just for five bucks or whatever it was. I'll think about it once I'm rested up from my job.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 19, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Damnit, I just found my old Enhanced Edition copy of Witcher 1, with the manual and CD-key, lying around. Why damnit? Because I'd already pre-ordered Witcher 3 and lost out on the savings I could've gotten by having that in my games list on GoG :(

Not that I mind giving the developers more money, they deserve it.

Just cancel your preorder?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I installed the Linux version of The Witcher 2 from Steam and got this:

I have an nVidia GTX 770, and my drivers are up to date. How can I fix this?

EDIT: solved it. Turns out my drivers were not up-to-date. Never trust apt-get to give you the latest versions of your software.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 20, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I installed the Linux version of The Witcher 2 from Steam and got this:

I have an nVidia GTX 770, and my drivers are up to date. How can I fix this?

I don't see the problem, that's just the logical end point for the exaggerated bloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I saw we had some bookchat going on before, so does anyone know of any good options to get the books that haven't been officially translated in English, preferably as an epub? I'm not trying to :filez: them, I just don't know where they'd actually be available to buy.

• Locked thread