Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

It's very picky of me, but there are a few tiny but visible flecks of dust caught in the rubbery lining of my rMBP. Any idea on how to get them out without leaving a mark?

Try scrubbing it with alcohol wipes, maybe with some gentle pressure from a flat solid tool (that's not metal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

nexxai posted:

I do a lot of photography so I'll be installing Lightroom, and some occasional DJing so Ableton as well, but is there anything else I should know before I take the plunge? I've done a lot of research and it seems like this machine will do what I want, but I don't know what I don't know.

There's a reason that when you see laptop DJs out performing it's usually like 80% Macs, especially if you look at more successful DJs where cost is less of a factor. CoreAudio on the Mac just works without futzing with getting the right low-latency drivers and you generally see fewer application crashes on Mac (although Windows has gotten better at both). Assuming you're also producing with Ableton, just make sure that the VSTs you currently use aren't Windows-only. The vast majority are not, but there are a few out there, especially in the free ones.

Macs are also dominate in the photography/graphic artist fields, although that's probably more that Macs are usually better hardware (at a price premium) and that Apple has courted creatives ever since releasing the original LaserWriter back in the 80s than any inherit superiority.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fordan posted:

There's a reason that when you see laptop DJs out performing it's usually like 80% Macs, especially if you look at more successful DJs where cost is less of a factor. CoreAudio on the Mac just works without futzing with getting the right low-latency drivers and you generally see fewer application crashes on Mac (although Windows has gotten better at both). Assuming you're also producing with Ableton, just make sure that the VSTs you currently use aren't Windows-only. The vast majority are not, but there are a few out there, especially in the free ones.

Macs are also dominate in the photography/graphic artist fields, although that's probably more that Macs are usually better hardware (at a price premium) and that Apple has courted creatives ever since releasing the original LaserWriter back in the 80s than any inherit superiority.

All of these are true, to varying extents, but let's not pretend that fashion and aesthetics don't have at least as big an influence on this phenomenon as anything else. Not that that's a problem or anything. I like having a pretty computer.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As much as I like how nice my MBP is, I bought a green tinted Speck shell and put a whole bunch of stickers between that and the laptop so at least mine looks different. Its nice because it holds the stickers in place without you ever needing to "use" the stickers, but I essentially spent 50 dollars for a different looking MBP. :downs:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Does anyone know why terminal is always at the top of my energy used chart even when I'm not using it and just have terminals open in the background doing nothing? Kind of annoying that it's average energy impact while idle is double that of of chrome while I'm actively browsing. Tried turning off transparency on those windows which seemed to help a bit but it's still pretty high.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Does anyone know why terminal is always at the top of my energy used chart even when I'm not using it and just have terminals open in the background doing nothing? Kind of annoying that it's average energy impact while idle is double that of of chrome while I'm actively browsing. Tried turning off transparency on those windows which seemed to help a bit but it's still pretty high.

Is iTerm2 better on power use? I haven't actually used Terminal in ages.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Something is wrong with your setup, I use Terminal, with one window fullscreen on a dedicated 1080p display and another that I move around, and it's energy impact averages about the same as... Time Machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/apple-event-set-for-oct-16/

So, the Apple //gs is coming back, eh?

(or new Mac Mini)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Selling iPad Air 2 in colors.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Word on the street is that the bigphone is so disgustingly popular the new iPad(s?) got pushed back to 2015, which would make this too early for an announcement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Word on the street is that the bigphone is so disgustingly popular the new iPad(s?) got pushed back to 2015, which would make this too early for an announcement.

Unless the new iPad is so radically different it required incredible resources to develop I don't see this as credible.

Are we expecting anything radically different than faster processors and touch ID?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The rumor is that the current two iPads are getting incremental updates (TouchID, RetinaHD displays, new SOCs, maybe slightly slimmer, maybe better cameras) and rolling out at the expected time- there's no way in hell that Apple's missing the pre-holiday upgrade window to entice buyers. Personally, I hope they rejigger the memory/pricing scheme to be in line with the iPhones so I can get a 64gb one for the price of the 32gb I'd have to get otherwise.

Talk about the fabled 12" "iPad Pro" has picked up a bunch in recent months and that's the one that's been supposedly rolled back to early 2015 due to the complications of bringing in yet another new display size when demand for the iPhone 6+ has kept production so tied up.

When I saw the colors on the logo outline and the tagline, I immediately thought "Big Mac news"- though it could just as easily be a joke about last month's event (probably both?), as it's been said before.

I'm guessing Broadwell rMBPs, maybe Broadwell MBAs (rumored fanless 12" got pushed back to 2015, apparently?), refreshed iMacs, possibly a retina iMac, refreshed Mac Pro, and maybe a brand new Mini and retina Thunderbolt Display.

I personally would love to see what a Broadwell CPU could allow Apple to do in terms of designing a truly "Mini" Mac, but I doubt it's gonna happen- assuming the Mini gets updated at all this go-around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Broadwell is not this year but maybe Apple can prove me wrong.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's what everyone says but then today I read about this Lenovo which is releasing at the end of this month and has Broadwell? So maybe there's a chance!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I hope the color thing is just about offering MacBooks in white snd "Space Gray" so I can read more blogs about Tim killing Apple.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

FCKGW posted:

Unless the new iPad is so radically different it required incredible resources to develop I don't see this as credible.

It's the manufacturing, as it stands Foxxcon can't keep up with bigphone orders alone and probably won't catch up for a while, dropping a new iPad on the 16th would just gently caress things up further. That's not a guess, it's inside industry info that invariably got leaked. Even Apple can't get their suppliers to shut up, if they're delaying products a lot of people down the chain are gonna know about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Didn't Intel officially promise at least some Broadwell-equipped stuff on store shelves for the holidays?

eddiewalker posted:

I hope the color thing is just about offering MacBooks in white snd "Space Gray" so I can read more blogs about Tim killing Apple.

No lie, I would be ALL OVER a space gray Son-of-BlackBook. I still have the 2007 model that I started undergrad with (one day I'll do something useful with it). I really don't need an Air to complement the rMBP (especially since I have yet to get around to actually selling the old Air), but I'd just have to pick one up eventually.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Didn't Intel officially promise at least some Broadwell-equipped stuff on store shelves for the holidays?

Last I heard only 4.5W Core M Broadwells are firm for a 2014 launch. The announced Core M processors are 2 cores / 4 threads, low end version is 800MHz base 2.0GHz max turbo and the high end is 1.1GHz/2.6GHz.

It's a processor intended for fanless ultralight notebooks and tablets. Will Apple want to make a lighter, thinner Air based on this chip? Who knows. It's probably a step back in performance, especially on the graphics side. However, they're using a 15W CPU right now. They could make a really crazy thin Mac with Core M. They probably will.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I've been looking at the Thunderbolt monitor for a while now, and as a local store is selling it $200 cheaper than the Apple store, I finally wanted to pull the trigger. But then I saw the fat "Don't buy!" sticker on the Mac Buyer's Guide. I guess I'll wait for the Apple announcements next week.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FCKGW posted:

faster processors and touch ID?

Hell, this alone will make me happy. Touch ID is the one thing that I can see as becoming an important feature down the road that current mac tablets don't have, and it's the thing I'm waiting for before I upgrade.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BobHoward posted:

They could make a really crazy thin Mac with Core M. They probably will.

Ultimately we can't know until a product does/doesn't launch, but the rumor mill's been pretty consistent and emphatic about the existence of an upcoming 12" fanless retina MacBook Air that's noticeably thinner than the current models and may or may not be coming with a space gray variant. So maybe?

Cyrano4747 posted:

mac tablets

I didn't know Apple made those. :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I didn't know Apple made those. :)

You know what I mean. It's what I get for posting at 5 am. :downs:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mac tablets are what you take if you have insufficient levels of mac in your diet.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

withak posted:

Mac tablets are what you take if you have insufficient levels of mac in your diet.

What about the Mac suppositories?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

My MBPr mid 2012 is exhibiting slight burn-in. Most noticeably when I go from bright websites (Something Awful) to screens with a darker background (Tumblr, Dashboard, etc). It goes away after spending some time on other screens but this is something that none of my PC Monitors have ever exhibited and it kind of has me worried about the longevity of my display. Should I be worried? The only thing I do to "mess" with the screen is have flux enabled.

What do?

e: To clarify - it's very prominent on the bottom of the screen and nearly nonexistent as you get further than 2 or 3 inches up from the bottom.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 10, 2014

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

ShoogaSlim posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

My MBPr mid 2012 is exhibiting slight burn-in. Most noticeably when I go from bright websites (Something Awful) to screens with a darker background (Tumblr, Dashboard, etc). It goes away after spending some time on other screens but this is something that none of my PC Monitors have ever exhibited and it kind of has me worried about the longevity of my display. Should I be worried? The only thing I do to "mess" with the screen is have flux enabled.

What do?

e: To clarify - it's very prominent on the bottom of the screen and nearly nonexistent as you get further than 2 or 3 inches up from the bottom.

Do you have Applecare?

I brought my 2012 Retina MBP into an Apple Store for the exact same thing, they replaced it under my Applecare warranty, no problems.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tarzanspuma posted:

Do you have Applecare?

I brought my 2012 Retina MBP into an Apple Store for the exact same thing, they replaced it under my Applecare warranty, no problems.

I know this is probably an even stupider question but how do I check to see if I have AppleCare? I am pretty sure the guy sold me on it by offering me a student discount or something but I don't remember.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

ShoogaSlim posted:

I know this is probably an even stupider question but how do I check to see if I have AppleCare? I am pretty sure the guy sold me on it by offering me a student discount or something but I don't remember.

http://selfsolve.apple.com

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
So hey, when does TouchID get integrated into the wireless keyboard?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you have applecare, Apple has a specific test for this issue and will resolve it for you.

If you do not have AppleCare, they will still resolve it at a cost.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So hey, when does TouchID get integrated into the wireless keyboard?

Never. You will probably be able to use the TouchID sensor on your phone to do stuff on your computer.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Turns out I'm covered all the way through Jan 2016. That rules. Thanks guys. My only concern is I have no external hard drive or anything to save my poo poo before I give it up to Apple. Will have to invest in one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Turns out I'm covered all the way through Jan 2016. That rules. Thanks guys. My only concern is I have no external hard drive or anything to save my poo poo before I give it up to Apple. Will have to invest in one.

You should have one anyway incase something unexpected does happen and you can't get at the data.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm probably the only one out of my friends who doesn't have one. I've honestly never really needed one. Most of my poo poo is backed up to one cloud service or another. But yeah, gotta get one.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always back up. First thing I ask when anyone I know has computer trouble. "Do you have backups?"

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

So my 2009 17" MBP has a bulging battery, I went to the Apple store to get it replaced today and was told that they couldn't replace the battery because the laptop is "vintage." The 2010 MBP uses the same battery, so they must have the ability to obtain them still, but apparently they are not allowed to "mix and match like that". Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. I could try to find an official Apple Battery somewhere, or I could go 3rd party. Does anyone have any recent experience with third party batteries? In my experience they aren't very good, but the last time I used one was like in 2007 or so. I'd rather not go super cheap or anything on it, I do want the battery to last 3 years or so still.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, will they not even let you pay to replace the battery?

I think Apple stores are too aggressive about declaring things vintage. Lots of people want to use a computer for more than five years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fleshweasel posted:

I think Apple stores are too aggressive about declaring things vintage. Lots of people want to use a computer for more than five years.

I think it's more about how much they sold an how parts are shared, because I know for a fact that 2009 Macbook non-pros are certainly not vintage. I can see the high-end stuff being on a shorter lifecycle though.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Twerk from Home posted:

I think it's more about how much they sold an how parts are shared, because I know for a fact that 2009 Macbook non-pros are certainly not vintage. I can see the high-end stuff being on a shorter lifecycle though.

Current list of vintage portable machines:

MacBook (13-inch)
MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2007)
MacBook (13-inch, Late 2007)
MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008)
MacBook (13-inch, Late 2008)
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009)
MacBook Air (original)
MacBook Air (Late 2008)
MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago.

Some of theme are, not all of them. That still leaves the Mid and Late 2009 and Mid 2010 MacBooks.

fleshweasel posted:

Wait, will they not even let you pay to replace the battery?

Yeah, you can't get the battery replaced on a vintage 2009 machine at all. However you could walk over to a shelf in that same store and buy a battery for an eight year old Macbook that is user replaceable with no problem. It's pretty lame.

1997 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ShadeofBlue posted:

So my 2009 17" MBP has a bulging battery, I went to the Apple store to get it replaced today and was told that they couldn't replace the battery because the laptop is "vintage." The 2010 MBP uses the same battery, so they must have the ability to obtain them still, but apparently they are not allowed to "mix and match like that". Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. I could try to find an official Apple Battery somewhere, or I could go 3rd party. Does anyone have any recent experience with third party batteries? In my experience they aren't very good, but the last time I used one was like in 2007 or so. I'd rather not go super cheap or anything on it, I do want the battery to last 3 years or so still.

iFixit lists a new Apple OEM 2009/2010 17" battery at $150, but they're out of stock. It might be hard to find new old stock for a 2009/2010 battery in 2014 going on 2015, and with batteries NOS isn't as good as truly new. (Lithium ion chemistry batteries tend to lose capacity just sitting on the shelf.)

OWC has new "Newer Technology" (OWC house brand) 3rd party batteries for your computer for $110. Mileage varies on OWC stuff, but I think I've heard good things about the batteries. No personal experience with them, though.