Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

I think Serious Sam 3 is pretty good, and I strongly suggest you spend the extra $1 for the DLC so you can play the Workshop campaigns and survival maps that are basically all the parts you liked about the middle without the boring intro or bad final levels.

What campaigns do you recommend? Also why do you need the DLC to play them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cerepol posted:

Better than Painkiller?I tried to get into painkiller and found it somewhat boring.

It kind of depends on what you're after. The 'Sams always had excellent co-op (even if it effectively made the game impossible to lose) and good enemy wave design (numbers, tempo, dynamics etc), with 3 being slightly less busy by virtue of being a new game that simply can't throw as much crap on the screen while still presenting a modern environment for you to fight in.

Painkiller had, above all, variety in everything and is really designed to run through solo.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Convex posted:

What campaigns do you recommend? Also why do you need the DLC to play them?

Most of them use monsters from the DLC, also the Laser and Sniper rifle were only in the DLC for whatever reason.

I like the Saving Private Pesko campaign, and the BFE Extended mod does a decent job of rebalancing and redesigning the levels so that it flows better at the start/end of the game. There's also a neat Chex Quest style mod, though the levels in it are a bit under-decorated.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Amazing.

Getting fragged is often much harder on the victim than the fragger. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of the match. People move past it, and find a medikit.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo. Fantastic. Took me a second, but I'm getting better at realising what I'm looking at when there are 4 panels and no dialogue.

Should be called "soul_loss.jpg".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Should be called "soul_loss.jpg".
Should be called "loss.wad".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I finally got it and holy poo poo

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I don't get it

(everyone else was waiting for someone to say it right?)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Recently, for some reason, I was reminded of a game I played 9 years ago that seems to have been completely forgotten: Tribes: Vengeance.

Made by Irrational Games before they struck gold with Bioshock, it's a single player Tribes released in 2004. Reception seems to have been mixed, but I remember it being pretty fun. While the maps were never as big as the first two games, they were still pretty big for single player maps at the time, and the campagne saw you playing different characters and classes. Also, most importantly: you could ski. Skiing is pretty much the best thing about Tribes, and being able to do so in a single player game is still pretty awesome.And the story is pure space opera in the most bombastic sense, with traces of Dune running through it. Plus, it has a level where you witness an attack on the Emperor's spaceship/palace through the eyes of his daughter, who is still a child. That is something you don't see everyday.

If you can find it, it is definitely worth checking out, and probably dirt cheap. Shame I can't seem to find any retailer who still carries it, though.

It's on Amazon for relatively cheap. Wish it was on GOG but I'm guessing Dynamix games have rights issues unless Hi-Rez bought the IP or the "new" Sierra has it still.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think you're ready for Doom yet friend, maybe consider Super Noah's Ark 3D instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

It's on Amazon for relatively cheap. Wish it was on GOG but I'm guessing Dynamix games have rights issues unless Hi-Rez bought the IP or the "new" Sierra has it still.

Dynamix :smith:

Like Looking Glass, they were too beautiful for this world.

(And speaking of Tribes and Looking Glass, let's take a moment and remember the game that started it all: Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, LGS's singleplayer precursor to Tribes.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Also poor Earth/Starseige, though they belong more in the Mech Simulator thread we don't have.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Like Looking Glass, they were too beautiful for this world.
Do "Looking Glass" and "Beautiful" belong in the same paragraph?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I dunno, when it comes to "horrifyingly ugly sci-fi mutant that I wanna shoot", that loving nails it 100%.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Guillermus posted:

SS3 is a game that has a boring start, a nice mid and a tedious and borderline terrible ending part. Best thing you can do is to play it coop with respawns and infinite ammo and breeze through it at a very high difficulty so you don't care about wasting ammo or get frustrated by the huge amount of hitscan enemies. The DLC for it is garbage but if the discount applies, just play it the same.

This seems like a pretty surefire way to turn the game into a boring slog, really.

I agree that the hitscan enemies aren't very interesting, but at least the zombies are weak and don't appear at all in the last level. No defending the helicopters or the witches though, they were a mistake - but at least the helicopters are rare.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

I just saw you post almost the same thing over in the roguelikes thread, what the hell, guy?

If this is the reaction you wanted, uhh... congrats, I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I just saw you post almost the same thing over in the roguelikes thread, what the hell, guy?

He saw the bits about vanquishing demons and jumped to conclusions.

In other news, some new Demonsteele stuff is out in the ZDoom thread that Term forgot to mention here like a goof. There's a bugfix release, a music randomizer loaded with MIDI versions of all the cliche metal songs, and an adaption of Wildweasel's NAZIS! mod for Demonsteele.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Also the TF2 thread.

Hey can anyone remember that crazy super graphical mod teaser vid on youtube that started of with a guy wandering around some part of a city and ended with these weird shadowy things coming towards him from the mist? It was a doom mod but looked almost photo realistic.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QwertySanchez posted:

Also the TF2 thread.

Hey can anyone remember that crazy super graphical mod teaser vid on youtube that started of with a guy wandering around some part of a city and ended with these weird shadowy things coming towards him from the mist? It was a doom mod but looked almost photo realistic.

this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ ?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is the most dramatic trailer I've seen for a minor bugfix/QoL improvement tweak I've ever seen, but man if they don't sell the gently caress out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTdIBctOjA

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Also the... Destiny thread? I think. I've seen him post it somewhere not TF2 or roguelikes.

Either a really bad joke or a bot or something :confused: Figured it was a dumb meme but I couldn't find it on google.

Bouchacha posted:

I don't get it

(everyone else was waiting for someone to say it right?)

I don't get it either :shobon: could somebody explain?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't get it either :shobon: could somebody explain?

it's loss.jpg in doom version

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

unpacked robinhood posted:

it's loss.jpg in doom version

Loss.jpg?

OOOOH that lovely CTRL+ALT+DEL panel. Yeah I tried to forget all about that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

This is the most dramatic trailer I've seen for a minor bugfix/QoL improvement tweak I've ever seen, but man if they don't sell the gently caress out of it.

Half Life Source doesn't have this?

I'm guessing this mod is for GoldSrc

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also the... Destiny thread? I think. I've seen him post it somewhere not TF2 or roguelikes.

Either a really bad joke or a bot or something :confused: Figured it was a dumb meme but I couldn't find it on google.

Smash thread too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

McDowell posted:

Half Life Source doesn't have this?

I'm guessing this mod is for GoldSrc

People play Half-Life Source?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

People play Half-Life Source?

I did for the hell of it. Let me just say that 2004-era effects and lighting really, really do not mix well with art assets made in 1997 and 1998.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

closeted republican posted:

I did for the hell of it. Let me just say that 2004-era effects and lighting really, really do not mix well with art assets made in 1997 and 1998.

No kidding, I played HL Source because I figured "why not?" and I don't think I got far past the intro tram ride because I figured I'd just play the original again and get the nostalgic charm instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I owned and played through HL:Source and liked it well enough, but the other thing is that most of the classic singeplayer HL mods obviously don't work for it, so you'll miss out on those if all you use is HL:Source.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

closeted republican posted:

I played it in 2005 expecting, in my complete ignorance, something more akin to Black Mesa (ooh, HL1 remade in the Half-Life 2 engine!). And not only was it just a straight port, it was just a straight port without the Blue Shift HD pack, the expansions, or mod support, making it worse in every way than the original Half-Life.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Cept dat water

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall the physics breaking something fierce my first attempt at running through it, too. Like, in an early chapter, you're expected to go up the ceiling of an office complex (not far from a break room) by pushing some steel crates and climbing up. Instead, one of the steel crates had decided to start slowly rotating on an axis perpendicular to the wall, floating forward in mid-air in the complete absence of any semblance of proper physics.

Also recall one of the first Barneys to die, one I believe you get a gun from... I was pressing the E button as he was playing his dying animation, to which he responded by standing up in the blink of an eye, staring at me as he expected me to go somewhere or give him orders, and then, just as suddenly, slouching back onto the floor and kicking the bucket.

Half-Life: Source is a well-coded port.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 10, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They added the Blue Shift HD pack to HL: Source recently, I believe. I think it might have been when they were doing the Linux stuff.

It's still not a very good port.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the physics will break a lot of jumping puzzles, and unless they patched it, the crossbow is completely different and worse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Do barrels still move SUPER fast when you try and shuffle them around? That and the insane crowbar-on-wood speed always made me think "man, when Gordon sets his mind on something..."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yay done TnT Evilution! Time to make myself hate Doom forever by playing Plutonia. GONNA SUCK.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Can you turn off texture filtering in Half-Life? I imagine I might like the game a lot more without muddy textures. Half-Life was great fun but not great to look at. This mod and maybe some graphics tweaks might be nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Do barrels still move SUPER fast when you try and shuffle them around? That and the insane crowbar-on-wood speed always made me think "man, when Gordon sets his mind on something..."

Gordon swings the crowbar ridiculously fast if you're right in front of something, whether it be a wall, enemy, or object, in GoldSrc HL1. It's awesome watching Gordon suddenly turn into a whirlwind of crowbar swings when you get within range of something like a zombie.