Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

quote:

Your other pressing question is: “When will Book 3 start?” My answer is: I’m not sure yet. Not before January 2015, I think!

Fuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

quote:

In the interim, before Book 3 begins, I will be posting some new stories in the town of Broodhollow. Please watch this space, subscribe to RSS, and follow me on Twitter or Facebook for updates

Oh.

Well I guess that's okay, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So, the first book was a self-contained story more-or-less, but I guess subsequent books might just lead into each other with cliffhangers? Jeez.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ditocoaf posted:

So, the first book was a self-contained story more-or-less, but I guess subsequent books might just lead into each other with cliffhangers? Jeez.

The first book pretty much serves as your traditional introduction and establishment of rules, so that wouldn't be surprising.

For all that I like the comic, I always forget to check on it for months at a time, so the hiatus doesn't bother me too much at least.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lance Streetman posted:

WHAT?

WHY?

NO!

STRAUB, YOU BASTARD!

Oh God I saw this and I seriously thought Wadsworth had died or something. Shame on you for scaring me like that!

It doesn't feel at all like it's time for the end of the book, but I guess I've been so wrapped up in the plot I haven't really been keeping track of pages or anything. I do wish the books had been kept self-contained, but that may simply not be possible as the plot and setting becomes more involved.

Oh, and pointing out the obvious, but I guess we know the origin of the skulls and shovels pin now. I wonder if Wadsworth will remember enough of this to make the connection.

And I wonder just what the hell is going on with the rest of that room.

And I wonder how many months I'll have to wait until I find out. :argh:

e: Just pasting an interesting comment I saw someone make about the town's name:

quote:

Johnzo · 49 minutes ago
Wait a sec (checks dictionary)...

Brood (noun)
1. a number of young produced or hatched at one time; a family of offspring or young.
2. a breed, species, group, or kind

Hollow (noun)
1. an empty space within anything; a hole, depression, or cavity.

Is this cave THE Broodhollow? The empty space where a species of giant evil bone wearing bugs are hatched? The brood's hollow?

Never thought of how the actual literal definition of the words might apply before, but makes perfect sense. Even though I doubt giant evil bone wearing bugs are the only thing that's being bread down there.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 10, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I was going to quote myself saying that the whole 'scare me' thing in the last dream sequence might mean that he's been dreaming the entire time.

But then it appears I didn't actually post that. I guess I thought "Nah, couldn't be", since whenever I would have been posting, it would have been too much happening in the dream.

Now I'm not so sure.
Edit:

Zoe posted:

Never thought of how the actual literal definition of the words might apply before, but makes perfect sense. Even though I doubt giant evil bone wearing bugs are the only thing that's being bread down there.
That only makes me think of the world's most terrifying bakery.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, is the Society in on this or just the forgetful descendants of the people involved? Are those little stick-figures tally-marks or what? I wonder if those runes actually translate to anything when you change the font? Why is Cadavre here? What is the significance of the suspended glowing rocks? What the general hell :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahaha, this is great. Wadsworth's first encounter with Cadavre. Look behind the panels.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Why is Cadavre weeping blood? Luckily for Zane, at least, he's glowing good-ghost blue.

Just why does Zane have prophetic dreams about the markings in this cave?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most of the stuff Zane saw in his dream where he "figured everything out" and here in the cave is sacred geometry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dunno, sacred geometry tends to be a lot more symmetric or patterned, this looks more informational.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 10, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Right. OK.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd hazard a guess that this geometry is the opposite of sacred :haw:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I'd hazard a guess that this geometry is the opposite of sacred :haw:

Remember, we're talking about Wadsworth Zane.

Scared Geometry.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Shouldn't he wait to tug on his air hose until it's a straight shot to the surface? Seems like A: the tug wouldn't be felt past whatever corner it's bent around and B: even if it were, you wouldn't want to start pulling him around a corner anyway.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think he's pulling on it because he's near the limit of the hose.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
each cairn represents a previous iteration of this happening.

-or-

given the busted nature of the gibbets, this room is the occult equivalent of the junk shop zane inherited.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kgummy posted:

I was going to quote myself saying that the whole 'scare me' thing in the last dream sequence might mean that he's been dreaming the entire time.

I think that's exactly what's going on here. A lot of the elements of this - the hole motif, the symbols and signs in red, the red lines, etc. - are things that have previously only appeared to Zane in dreams, and now it's topped off by the appearance of Cadavre, who also appeared and spoke to Zane in his dreams. Either Zane is still dreaming, or Zane's dreams are prophetic ties directly to this moment, and I think Cadavre speaks to it being the former, though Cadavre's eyes bleeding speak to something I don't know what the gently caress.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think he's pulling on it because he's near the limit of the hose.

Or it's a "gently caress gently caress gently caress pull me up RIGHT NOW" panic tug.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think he tugged on it yet. He certainly got ready to, and his hands were shaking, but not actually pulling.

Cadavre putting his hand on Zane's shoulder freaked him out enough to not hold on, though. I'd say he might not even remember that tugging is safety at the moment.

Eschers Basement posted:

I think that's exactly what's going on here. A lot of the elements of this - the hole motif, the symbols and signs in red, the red lines, etc. - are things that have previously only appeared to Zane in dreams, and now it's topped off by the appearance of Cadavre, who also appeared and spoke to Zane in his dreams. Either Zane is still dreaming, or Zane's dreams are prophetic ties directly to this moment, and I think Cadavre speaks to it being the former, though Cadavre's eyes bleeding speak to something I don't know what the gently caress.
Yeah, it seems to be the explanation that makes the most sense at the moment. I just meant that I can't quote the post that I didn't make, but thought I did. There's probably a joke in there about Broodhollow and memory, but I can't think of it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yeah okay as a big reveal i need a litttttle more context to go on. as it is this is less shocking and more vaguely confusing

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Eschers Basement posted:

It might not be prophetic as much as an indication he's already found this before. Also, Cadavre explained that "just because it's a dream doesn't mean it's not real" applies, which suggests that rather than being a manifestation of Zane's subconscious, he's a real entity.

But more importantly "he was asleep the whole time, it was a dream within a dream" would be boring.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Carrasco posted:

But more importantly "he was asleep the whole time, it was a dream within a dream" would be boring.

Book 3 will start with Zane waking up on a train arriving in Broodhollow, looking to cash in on his inheritance. Then he discovers a dream diary and the next horror story is told through flash backs.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nimby posted:

Book 3 will start with Zane waking up on a train arriving in Broodhollow, looking to cash in on his inheritance. Then he discovers a dream diary and the next horror story is told through flash backs.

If Straub comes up with a new way for Zane to need to completely rediscover everything the audience already knows every book I wouldn't even be mad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had comparatively cheap and easy cameras in the 1930s, didn't they? Seems to me that Broodhollow could really use some.

Especially for when you find yourself in a situation like this.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MikeJF posted:

They had comparatively cheap and easy cameras in the 1930s, didn't they? Seems to me that Broodhollow could really use some.

You're assuming a camera would work, but they're notoriously unreliable in horror stories.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You're assuming a camera would work, but they're notoriously unreliable in horror stories.

Well, except when they're not:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MikeJF posted:

Zane finds this in the back of his shop:

:unsmigghh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A camera would be good, but undeveloped film would be even better (assuming they used film back then).

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
But how would Zane take a picture of this with undeveloped film?

The purpose of a camera is to let you take pictures, after all. :v:

(I'm just imagining Zane throwing film at monsters, and it somehow working.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Well, except when they're not:

yeah i'm going to need source on this.

poo poo looks like my jam

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah i'm going to need source on this.

poo poo looks like my jam

junji ito, mimi's ghost stories, the seashore

http://openawesome.com/junji-ito-horror-manga/theseashore.html

desshar
Jun 4, 2011

Tollymain posted:

So, is the Society in on this or just the forgetful descendants of the people involved? Are those little stick-figures tally-marks or what? I wonder if those runes actually translate to anything when you change the font? Why is Cadavre here? What is the significance of the suspended glowing rocks? What the general hell :stare:

The really old lady that's apart of Iris's club seems to know that the people in the town forgets things, and she kind of hinted knowing a bit more than that.

Man, I think this the first time I've actually been genuinely excited at a cliffhanger.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So the title of book 3 has been revealed. It's, uh, sorta ominous?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually that whole card game thing is (even more) ominous in light of what Zane just found, now that I think of it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tollymain posted:

Actually that whole card game thing is (even more) ominous in light of what Zane just found, now that I think of it

I still want rules to that game so bad.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Crain posted:

I still want rules to that game so bad.

You'd forget them in a week.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nimby posted:

You'd forget them in a week.

i mean, you already did the first time

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Guest strip for Halloween.

Wow, that's certainly something. Love the more-detailed interpretation of Zane and Iris.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That holiday ties into an Ichor Falls story, right? (I know it does but I'm all Halloween'd out and too tired to look it up...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
So, what is everyone reading while they wait for Broodhollow book 3 to start? I've been following it regularly since somewhere in the middle of book 1, and now I'm just twiddling my thumbs. Anyone have a good webcomic recommendation?

• Locked thread