Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Also the bag bans are spreading nothing the legislature can propose will survive the cities desire to clamp down on bag litter.

Actually wasnt it some rural county or town that started it? Plastic bags were causing issues with livestock and wildlife I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Communist Zombie posted:

Actually wasnt it some rural county or town that started it? Plastic bags were causing issues with livestock and wildlife I believe.

that actually sounds more disgusting and anger-inducing than just seeing bags all over the loving place because humans are poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

that actually sounds more disgusting and anger-inducing than just seeing bags all over the loving place because humans are poo poo

yeah you'll still find a lot of old populists out in the square counties. they may be just about the best salt-of-the-earth folks you can still talk to today, but they're rapidly disappearing

of the west texas/panhandle counties, ~20 went clinton in '92, ~17 in '96, with 0 blue counties recorded in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012. but they're still there :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

For people who don't care about other cities' local ordinances, the texas legislature sure has a curious number of bills targeting things like Austin's plastic bag ban.

That curious number is "one" and it didn't even get a hearing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone is interested the Texas Senate Health and Human Services committee is having an Ebola hearing. Tribune usually has the link.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Dan Patrick trying to claim ISIS is going to get into the US through the border with Mexico...

http://youtu.be/yfZ9eDA2daQ

Here's the Washington Post article I found that ad on, btw...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/10/09/the-future-of-gop-relations-with-latinos-in-one-ad/

e_angst fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

e_angst posted:

Dan Patrick trying to claim ISIS is going to get into the US through the border with Mexico...

http://youtu.be/yfZ9eDA2daQ

Someone else outside of Texas brought it up and was refuted by Homeland Security. This is the natural extension of that info.

Incidentally, on my commute, I heard a anti-Wendy Davis ad on the radio. Accusing her of having conflicts of interest. Without any evidence or examples. As though no one in the state legislature can be accused of that.

Which only strengthens my opinion that the Karl Rove school of politicking should be wiped out from the face of the Earth. I get that it is politics as usual but that was a terrible ad that people will agree with because Democrats bad!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Federal judge ruled that the Voter ID law in Texas constitutes a poll tax. Ha!

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

:woop:

I remember VDP telling the story that she was denied voting in an election shortly after the law was passed because her name on her voter registration card and her DL didn't match exactly (one included her maiden name while the other didn't). The article didn't mention it, but the law also disproportionately impacts anyone who takes their spouses name (most married women).

So glad that nonsense got thrown out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Before we all start sucking each other's dicks, remember that the abortion laws were also ruled unconstitutional but a higher court decided to let them be implemented during the appeals process. Abbott will probably argue that the whole state electoral system has been prepared to operate under the new law and will probably ask the Fifth Circuit for the same thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Before we all start sucking each other's dicks, remember that the abortion laws were also ruled unconstitutional but a higher court decided to let them be implemented during the appeals process. Abbott will probably argue that the whole state electoral system has been prepared to operate under the new law and will probably ask the Fifth Circuit for the same thing.

Yea it's good to have that ruling but this means nothing until the higher court rules. Abbott, for as much as I legitimately hate him as a human being, knows how to play the game super well, he will probably be able to spin 'yo we already started doing things that were super oppressive, we can't change them this close to the election' well and at least get the rules to stay while things advance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh speaking of things people vote on, I found some fun facts about ballot measures in Texas, from Ballotpedia:

quote:

• -Since 1990, an average of zero measures have appeared on even-numbered year ballots in Texas. Therefore, 2014 is an above-average year, based on the number of certified measures.

• However, an average of fifteen measures have appeared on odd-numbered election year ballots in Texas since 1991.

• From 1990 to 2012, the number of measures on statewide, even-year ballot has ranged from zero to one.

• Since 1990, 157 of 179, or 88 percent, of Texas ballot measures have been approved by voters.

• Conversely, 22 of 179, or 12 percent, of measures have been defeated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh you missed the best parts of the ruling. It wasn't just that it was a poll tax, the judge also found among other things that the burden placed on voters was not commiserate with the "problem" the law was claiming to fix and

quote:

This Court concludes that the evidence in the record demonstrates that proponents of SB 14 within the 82nd Texas Legislature were motivated, at the very least in part, because of and not merely in spite of the voter ID law’s detrimental effects on the African-American and Hispanic electorate. As such, SB 14 violates the VRA as well as the 14th and 15th Amendments to the Unites States Constitution.

The poll tax ruling is pretty airtight, but the findings of fact in the other rulings are also exhaustive and overwhelmingly against Texas.

Including tidbits like this:

1970-2014: Redistricting 
o In every redistricting cycle since 1970, Texas has been found to have violated the VRA with racially gerrymandered districts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

o In every redistricting cycle since 1970, Texas has been found to have violated the VRA with racially gerrymandered districts.

That's not possible, racism is over in the South per SCOTUS.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

The abortion law was the Austin court and the voter law is the Corpus Christi court so there's hope there. But yeah, Abbott will get what he wants from the 5th Circuit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is it possible that higher deliberations on the law will stall its re-implementation until after the elections or can Abbott ram it through fast it enough?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

Is it possible that higher deliberations on the law will stall its re-implementation until after the elections or can Abbott ram it through fast it enough?

He will probably seek an immediate ruling and if the ultimate result of the appeal is that the VID law gets thrown out, it will likely be in effect for at least this election.

The positive news, I guess, is that it will unlikely flip any elections. The GOP is so far ahead pretty much everywhere the 1-2% of votes the law suppresses probably won't matter anyway.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Communist Zombie posted:

I don't know about whether it started nationally that way. But Fort Stockton - way the hell and gone out in West Texas - was one of the first cities in the state to pass a plastic bag ban, under the Tea Party mayor no less. Cattle were ingesting the plastic bags and suffocating. Not a peep from the Republicans in the lege about that. But when Austin does it... hoo boy.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Abbot you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever live:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-politics/2014/10/greg-abbott-texas-gay-marriage-ban-reduces-out-of-wedlock-births/

quote:

AUSTIN – Attorney General Greg Abbott says Texas’ same-sex marriage ban should remain in place because legalizing it would do little or nothing to encourage heterosexual couples to get married and have children.

Writing in a brief filed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday, Abbott said the state was not obligated to prove why gay marriage might be detrimental to the economic or social well-being of Texans. It was only required to show how opposite-sex marriage would be more beneficial for its citizens.

“The State is not required to show that recognizing same-sex marriage will undermine heterosexual marriage,” the brief read. “It is enough if one could rationally speculate that opposite-sex marriages will advance some state interest to a greater extent than same-sex marriages will.”

The new filing largely reiterated the same “responsible procreation” argument Abbott made in July, when the state first appealed a a February district court’s ruling overturning the Texas gay marriage ban. In it, Abbott argued marriage among heterosexual partners is more beneficial to society because it encourages married couples to have children and provides an example for other couples to do the same.

“First, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in encouraging couples to produce new offspring, which are needed to ensure economic growth and the survival of the human race,” Abbott wrote.

He added, “Second, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in reducing unplanned out-of-wedlock births. By channeling procreative heterosexual intercourse into marriage, Texas’s marriage laws reduce unplanned out-of-wedlock births and the costs that those births impose on society. Recognizing same-sex marriage does not advance this interest because same-sex unions do not result in pregnancy.”

In the brief, Abbott concedes that same-sex marriage might have some positive effects for society, like increasing household wealth and adoptions or providing a more stable environment for children raised by gay couples. While there might be benefits, however, he said it’s for the Legislature, not the courts, to decide whether to expand the right to marry.

Abbott, who is also the Republican nominee for governor, said parallels could not be drawn between the fight for same-sex marriage and previous cases that overturned bans on sodomy or affirmed the right for interracial couples to marry.

He denied that other courts’ decisions to overturn gay marriage bans represented salient precedent, saying these rulings simply represented the “purely subjective” beliefs of a few judges: ”That is not a government of laws, but of men.”

San Antonio-based District Judge Orlando Garcia ruled the Texas ban unconstitutional in February because it violated same-sex couples’ 14th Amendment equal protection rights. The state appealed, pushing the case to the New Orleans-based Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals that hears cases for Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.

Politicians, legal scholars, faith leaders and health care professionals have been eager to weigh in on the case.

Earlier this summer, 63 Republican lawmakers – including the frontrunners for lieutenant governor and attorney general, state Sens. Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton – signed a brief supporting the state’s ban. In it, they wrote allowing gay marriage could lead to Texas eventually legalizing pedophilia, polygamy and incest. A number of religious organizations and the attorneys general for 10 states with bans in place have also thrown their support behind Abbott.

Corporations and mental health organizations have argued against the ban, including 32 companies such as Amazon.com, Google, Starbucks and Target, as well as the American Psychological and American Psychiatric Associations. In September, 16 attorneys general from states with gay marriage already in place filed an amicus brief arguing their own experiences show only positive effects from allowing gays and lesbians to marry.

Last week, the court agreed to fast-track the Texas case. The request for expedited hearing came from Nicole Dimetman, a plaintiff in the case who is due to give birth to the second child with her wife, Cleopatra DeLeon, in March. The two were married in Massachusetts.

DeLeon bore the couple’s first child, now 2, and Dimetman quickly adopted the boy so she would have parental rights. The couple told the Express-News last week they hoped a victory in the courts would help them avoid another round of costly and stressful adoption requirements.

Victor Holmes and Mark Phariss, another gay couple living in Texas, are also appellees on the case.

Also this month, the court agreed to a request from Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell to have the same three-judge panel that hears the Texas case hear his argument in favor of that state’s gay marriage ban. The final briefs in the Louisiana case are due Nov. 7. Hearing dates will likely be set before the end of the year.

Same-sex marriage advocates have celebrated multiple victories lately. Recent decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court and federal judges have cleared the way for gay marriage in 29 states, with six more likely to follow suit soon. Proponents of gay marriage have netted one major loss, however, when a federal judge in Louisiana upheld that state’s ban earlier last month.

The Fifth and Sixth Circuit Courts are widely seen as two of the most conservative federal appeals courts in the country, and therefore the most likely to uphold a state ban on same-sex marriage. If either one breaks with precedent, becoming the first federal appeals court to uphold a ban, the issue will be kicked up to the Supreme Court for a final decision.
gently caress you

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Abbot you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever live:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-politics/2014/10/greg-abbott-texas-gay-marriage-ban-reduces-out-of-wedlock-births/

Writing in a brief filed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday, Abbott said the state was not obligated to prove why gay marriage might be detrimental to the economic or social well-being of Texans. It was only required to show how opposite-sex marriage would be more beneficial for its citizens.

gently caress you

Does this mean he thinks every gay marriage means two lost heterosexual marriages?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

The Next Governor of Texas posted:

Abbott, who is also the Republican nominee for governor, said parallels could not be drawn between the fight for same-sex marriage and previous cases that overturned bans on sodomy or affirmed the right for interracial couples to marry.

He denied that other courts’ decisions to overturn gay marriage bans represented salient precedent, saying these rulings simply represented the “purely subjective” beliefs of a few judges: ”That is not a government of laws, but of men.”

Even a really dismissive handwave makes for a pretty lovely counterargument, Greg, drat. I hate that we're going to elect another full slate of Republicans statewide.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Winter Stormer posted:

Even a really dismissive handwave makes for a pretty lovely counterargument, Greg, drat. I hate that we're going to elect another full slate of Republicans statewide.

There's still time to pray for a miracle, and get every single person you know to vote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy...

quote:

"My reaction is if she wants to attack a guy in a wheelchair, that's her prerogative," said Abbott on Fox News Channel's "Hannity." "As for me, I'm running a different type of campaign."

I do agree that Abbott is a huge hypocrite with respect to disabled rights (uh and, everything else) but even I know you don't say that poo poo in a campaign. Kill the idiot in charge of that call. Never give your opponent the chance to take the noble, moral high ground.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy...

I do agree that Abbott is a huge hypocrite with respect to disabled rights (uh and, everything else) but even I know you don't say that poo poo in a campaign. Kill the idiot in charge of that call. Never give your opponent the chance to take the noble, moral high ground.

I see more anti-wendy commercials than I do anti-abbott. The hypocrisy and fact-spinning that goes on in politics and news in general is a pretty big letdown of our society.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy...

He doesn't come off as noble, nor moral at all, he's coming off as playing the victim, and that's not held in high regard in every person's mind, rightwing or not. He did some rolling down a highway, complaining about traffic blaming it on Davis and saying EVEN ME A GUY IN A WHEELCHAIR IS FASTER. He's scum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

He doesn't come off as noble, nor moral at all, he's coming off as playing the victim, and that's not held in high regard in every person's mind, rightwing or not. He did some rolling down a highway, complaining about traffic blaming it on Davis and saying EVEN ME A GUY IN A WHEELCHAIR IS FASTER. He's scum.

Maybe to you but the Mythical Undecided Voter will see it as a cheap shot.

Calling attention to the wheelchair was a bad idea. I mean, it doesn't matter since she'll lose by 12 instead of 9 points but it's just an example of how tone deaf and ineffective her campaign has been.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Maybe to you but the Mythical Undecided Voter will see it as a cheap shot.

Calling attention to the wheelchair was a bad idea. I mean, it doesn't matter since she'll lose by 12 instead of 9 points but it's just an example of how tone deaf and ineffective her campaign has been.

Its pretty sweet deal that Abbott got, immunity from personal hypocrisy along with his cash payout.

There's nothing Wendy's campaign could have done that would have made this election winnable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe not but they could've made it close.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Maybe not but they could've made it close.

Which would have been enough to get the Republicans to be sane and logical because "poo poo, we lost by a much closer margin than we would like, let's not go full pants on head stupid so that we don't risk losing the next election cycle."

With enough of a margin between them, the message would be "hey, the people must like our ideas or they wouldn't have voted for us, let's burn this state to the ground."

I would like to hope that Republicans are more rational than that. I would also hope the Republicans would lose enough to actually take a hard look at themselves. But past experience shows that neither is going to happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no, Abbott could win by one vote and the state GOP will go loving balls rear end nuts next session. They've got two, maybe three more sessions before one of the houses flips and then they are done for generations. They know it and they have to live it large while they hold the reins, and they are going to hold them as well as they ever have in 2015.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh no, Abbott could win by one vote and the state GOP will go loving balls rear end nuts next session. They've got two, maybe three more sessions before one of the houses flips and then they are done for generations. They know it and they have to live it large while they hold the reins, and they are going to hold them as well as they ever have in 2015.

I don't know. 2018 is the absolute earliest we could see any democratic gains in Texas, and it would be a stretch to get a statewide. Maybe 2020-2024 would be a realistic time to gain statewide offices and maybe flip one of the houses, but who knows what the 2020 redistricting maps will look like.

How do Democrats get 100% more latinos to vote, have them vote at least as considently D as now, and not lose any more of the white vote?

That's what Democrats need to win before 2024.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As we predicted, the Fifth issued a stay that means the Voter ID requirements will be in place for the November elections.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The laws that are being overturned by courts in TX and WI, are these capable of being brought back up as legislation later or are these rulings solid?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The laws that are being overturned by courts in TX and WI, are these capable of being brought back up as legislation later or are these rulings solid?

Well, as it stands, the laws are in effect in Texas. Its a long time until we know how far these challenges get. For all we know the Supreme Court could just rule the laws valid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

As we predicted, the Fifth issued a stay that means the Voter ID requirements will be in place for the November elections.

Any chance of the Supreme Court revoking the 5th's stay?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Any chance of the Supreme Court revoking the 5th's stay?

No way.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If God were real those judges would have caught ebola and not the nurse.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cross posting from the SCOTUS thread:

Thank the various gods...

quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday barred Texas from enforcing an abortion regulation that left only seven clinics open in the state.

The regulation, requiring clinics to meet the same standards as ambulatory surgical centers, was declared unconstitutional in August by U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel, who ruled that the requirement was designed to limit access to abortion by shutting down clinics, not improve women’s health as legislators had argued.

After Texas appealed, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Oct. 9 that the state could enforce the regulation while its appeal continued.

Late Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the lower appeals court — barring Texas from enforcing the surgical-center regulation — in a 6-3 order that did not elaborate on the court’s reasons. The order added that Justices Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas would have denied the request to overturn the 5th Circuit Court, filed last week in an emergency motion by abortion providers.

gently caress you Scalia, Alito, and Thomas.

Abbot and Perry have got to be livid that their pet women punishment protecting bill won't go into effect while Davis is probably ecstatic for the chance to talk about something other than that awful ad.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That's really good news for a change. I'm not holding my breath they will step into the Voter ID rulings, the election is close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The thing I don't get about the stay is that their argument is that it's too close to the election to change the rules. That's only a problem if it's MORE restrictive. Even theoretically if someone went out of the way to get an ID then they're not going to get turned away because they had it.

And by "don't get" I mean it's extremely transparently partisan.