Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I fun facts for US phone buyers I paid $760 for my 920, but at least that beats the $880 for the cheapest iPhone 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Well I thought I'd check here since I was a November 2012 Lumia 920 buyer and I couldn't find a drat thing about a flagship phone being released this fall. I guess I'm pretty lucky that my 920 is still working pretty much the same as when I bought it, but something new would be nice.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
And apparently Verizon is retiring the Icon already:
http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-reportedly-retires-lumia-icon-less-year-after-launch

Things are not going MSFT's way.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Naffer posted:

http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-reportedly-retires-lumia-icon-less-year-after-launch

I hope this is just a rumor, because this would be beyond stupid. It's their flagship Windows Phone, ffs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

scavok posted:

Well I thought I'd check here since I was a November 2012 Lumia 920 buyer and I couldn't find a drat thing about a flagship phone being released this fall. I guess I'm pretty lucky that my 920 is still working pretty much the same as when I bought it, but something new would be nice.

The lumia 930/Icon has been out for ages. As has the 1520. Complaints that there hasn't been a new flagship are completely specious.

Apparently you can now buy an unlocked lumia 930 in the US, but it doesn't support the 4g bands used by AT&T and T-mobile.

I've gotta say I thought our Telcos were scum but America is far worse. At least in Australia all 3 telcos got the 930, and there is advertising for it everywhere.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2014

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

The Lord Bude posted:

The lumia 930/Icon has been out for ages. As has the 1520. Complaints that there hasn't been a new flagship are completely specious.

Apparently you can now buy an unlocked lumia 930 in the US, but it doesn't support the 4g bands used by AT&T and T-mobile.

I've gotta say I thought our Telcos were scum but America is far worse. At least in Australia all 3 telcos got the 930, and there is advertising for it everywhere.

Even if AT&T got the 930, I highly doubt people would be clamoring to upgrade their 920s from late 2012 to the 930 from 8 months ago.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Not without glance or QI charging. :colbert:

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Naffer posted:

For gently caress's sake. They still haven't upgraded it to Cyan, either.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Naffer posted:

I call shenanigans on this until we get more than a single tweet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JayKay posted:

I call shenanigans on this until we get more than a single tweet.

If you shop phones online and filter by Windows Phone as OS, Verizon lists the HTC One with Windows, Samsung ATIV SE, HTC 8X, and Lumia 928. If you search for Lumia Icon, you find some accessories and help manuals, but no phone for sale.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

RVProfootballer posted:

If you shop phones online and filter by Windows Phone as OS, Verizon lists the HTC One with Windows, Samsung ATIV SE, HTC 8X, and Lumia 928. If you search for Lumia Icon, you find some accessories and help manuals, but no phone for sale.

I can confirm this. Oh God. Am I seriously going to be stuck on 8.0 until July 2016 when I'm able to get a new phone? If this is the case, I would have waited until the HTC One came out. At least I would have 8.1.

Edit: How would one go about installing the developer preview for 8.1?

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I can confirm this. Oh God. Am I seriously going to be stuck on 8.0 until July 2016 when I'm able to get a new phone? If this is the case, I would have waited until the HTC One came out. At least I would have 8.1.

Edit: How would one go about installing the developer preview for 8.1?

Just install this app, agree to the Terms and Conditions, sign in with your Live account, and you should receive an OTA update. While that should get you 8.1, you won't get Cyan which includes various firmware updates.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
~Incoming grain of salt ~

Went to the Microsoft store today and was talking with the manager (Xbox return). He said the 1520 will be updated as the 1528 soon.

Again, shaker full but he sounded pretty confident. Another employee asked him about it and he said you didn't see the slides last week?

Interesante.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

OldPueblo posted:

Not without glance or QI charging. :colbert:

Yeah it's hard to call the 930/Icon an "upgrade" from the 920 when it loses Glance, wireless charging, and LTE.

It even lacks the features of budget winphones, for example dual SIM support and SD card support.

It's like someone just slapped Randomize a few times on the Lumia Phone Generator and manufactured whatever came out.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I would love for some tech journalist to get intimate access with Satya and be allowed to ask, "Okay, seriously, what the HELL is wrong with you people and your stupid decisions? :psyduck:" It seems like everyone outside of Redmond sees things with a bewildered sense of clarity while MS just perpetually bumbles and disappoints.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/11/satya-nadella-bill-gates-steve-ballmer-microsoft# posted:

Embracing reality is also a huge change at Microsoft, where some joke about the “reality-distortion field.” As one explains it to me, life under Ballmer, and to some extent even Gates, was “‘Let’s get on I-90 and drive to Hawaii! We’ve got beer, we’ve got snacks, it’ll be great!’But then you say, ‘Oh, wait, you can’t get to Hawaii on I-90.’They say, ‘Yes, you can! It’ll be great! Let’s go!’” As this person says, “It can be really good but also really freakin’ draining.”

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh Verizon :psyduck:

I wonder what this means for Cyan and any other updates. Talk about leaving those who renewed their contract for the Icon high and dry.

Edit: I wonder if this is purely a VZW decision or did MS have a part.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 10, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Edward IV posted:

Just install this app, agree to the Terms and Conditions, sign in with your Live account, and you should receive an OTA update. While that should get you 8.1, you won't get Cyan which includes various firmware updates.

Thanks for this. It's finally fully updated and backed up now. Man, this is slick compared to 8.0, which makes the absence of an official release of 8.1/Cyan on the Icon even more baffling. It's nice to finally have Cortana, Swype, the notification center, Awful Forums Reader, quiet time, etc. although having the Facebook integration stripped out is odd.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Edward IV posted:

I'm contemplating doing this. Has anyone had any problems with these early updates? is there a way to revert back if need be?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm contemplating doing this. Has anyone had any problems with these early updates? is there a way to revert back if need be?

Need the Nokia recovery program to revert I believe. It has been flawless for me, and I have not heard of anyone having any issues beyond new patches of course occasionally having teething issues.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That Vanity Fair article is very good, thanks for the link LentThem.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Does anybody have an alternative for the horrible Audible app?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay that's a cute detail I never saw before. If an SMS fails sending the tile for messaging gets a sad smiley instead of the usual happy one.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a 920 and 1520 both on Developer Preview, and haven't had any issues. I personally think everyone should be on it, just for the early access to WP's catchup features. That way you're not waiting on your carrier to make your 2014 OS nearly as feature-rich as iOS and Android from 2012.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I have a 920 and 1520 both on Developer Preview, and haven't had any issues. I personally think everyone should be on it, just for the early access to WP's catchup features. That way you're not waiting on your carrier to make your 2014 OS nearly as feature-rich as iOS and Android from 2012.

So what is happening on the DP that someone with 8.1 is missing because I feel like I'm still in 2012.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

So what is happening on the DP that someone with 8.1 is missing because I feel like I'm still in 2012.

Well, 8.1 was the big one for sure. DP users had the notification center a few months before everyone else. Otherwise...hmm, I'll have to get back to you. I feel like I'm somewhere around February 2013, personally.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Not much really, but there is a new folders option for the start screen as well as a new bluetooth ability to call cortana using your car head unit buttons, etc. Here is a random video I have not watched yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gph8wzFf35Y

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

nielsm posted:

Okay that's a cute detail I never saw before. If an SMS fails sending the tile for messaging gets a sad smiley instead of the usual happy one.

This's been around since at least 7.5.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Bought one of those cheap unlocked BLU Win Jr phones today. I'm on Telus, no contract, own my old broken iPhone 4S outright. Switched the sim over using an adapter and the win phone detects it, but it says that it can't register on the network.

Is there something quick I can check/try before I phone Telus tomorrow? Removing the sim altogether gives a different error saying that no sim is detected, as expected.

Additional weird bit: The date/time keeps resetting to something wrong whenever I reboot the phone, even if I turn off setting the date/time automatically. I tried turning off the sim in the settings menu, setting the date/time correctly and re-enabling the sim and there was no change in being able to register on the network.

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 11, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Odd thought, but have you tried the other SIM slot? Wonder if it's something crazy like different slots use different bands?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

OldPueblo posted:

Odd thought, but have you tried the other SIM slot? Wonder if it's something crazy like different slots use different bands?

Yep, tried both SIM slots - no change except that slot 1 was detected as empty and slot 2 couldn't register on the network. Good idea though.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Since I upgraded my 920 to 8.1 on AT&T, I've had serious issues with my wifi. It seems to disconnect randomly, and stay disconnected until I turn wifi off and back on, or go out of range and back into range of my wifi adapter. Usually it will show it is connected to wifi in the status bar at the top, but when I bring down the notification menu it'll show it is "Limited". Even after disconnecting and reconnecting to my wifi and it says it's connected, if I go to update an app or something, it'll usually download it from my cellular network. Needless to say my data limit is getting destroyed, and I'm pretty much afraid to try to update any apps or stream any video even when I'm in my house. I know my wifi router is fine because I have plenty of other devices that use it, and this started happening immediately after upgrading. Does anyone have any ideas?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

scavok posted:

Since I upgraded my 920 to 8.1 on AT&T, I've had serious issues with my wifi. It seems to disconnect randomly, and stay disconnected until I turn wifi off and back on, or go out of range and back into range of my wifi adapter. Usually it will show it is connected to wifi in the status bar at the top, but when I bring down the notification menu it'll show it is "Limited". Even after disconnecting and reconnecting to my wifi and it says it's connected, if I go to update an app or something, it'll usually download it from my cellular network. Needless to say my data limit is getting destroyed, and I'm pretty much afraid to try to update any apps or stream any video even when I'm in my house. I know my wifi router is fine because I have plenty of other devices that use it, and this started happening immediately after upgrading. Does anyone have any ideas?

I had this problem until the most recent Dev Preview update (14176 I think). It doesn't seem like they "fixed" it exactly, so much as removed the Limited / No Internet status completely. Since that update, I've never seen the status appear, even in situations where it probably should have.

Also, the fact that the connection can creep over to using Mobile Data instead of WiFi makes it incredibly frustrating that they have been dragging their feet on adding a Mobile Data toggle to the notification bar. This poo poo has been discussed since 8.1 came out in April.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Edward IV posted:

Tried it but got a message I need a Developer account. I'll look more into it later.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

wormil posted:

Tried it but got a message I need a Developer account. I'll look more into it later.

I made an account here, then downloaded the app, and finally got the latest version of 8.1 after a few updates. Been using it for the past couple days on my Icon/929 and haven't had any issues. Battery life is about the same.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 14, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone using an ELM327, Bluetooth OBD code reader, with a Windows phone? I have an old phone if I have to use Android but I'd rather use my current phone.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
As someone who is looking to try something other than an iPhone in the next couple of months, this thread is kind of scary :stare:

We're going to be switching to AT&T because I get a corporate discount and $50 toward my bill, and I'm really getting bored of Apple's bullshit so I thought I would catch up on what was going on with Windows Phone and Android. Android is just a confusing mess, as soon as I think I've found a phone it turns out that it is missing a feature or is loaded with bloat, bleh. I was really hoping that WP was going to be the perfect middleground. I love the look of the UI and the possibility of having removable memory (seriously Apple :fuckoff:) but drat, between Microsoft potentially gating with Windows 10 and AT&T's selection, I just don't know. How can AT&T have fewer options for WP than for iOS? And only one (635) is compatible with 8.1? That's crazy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Arclyte posted:

As someone who is looking to try something other than an iPhone in the next couple of months, this thread is kind of scary :stare:

We're going to be switching to AT&T because I get a corporate discount and $50 toward my bill, and I'm really getting bored of Apple's bullshit so I thought I would catch up on what was going on with Windows Phone and Android. Android is just a confusing mess, as soon as I think I've found a phone it turns out that it is missing a feature or is loaded with bloat, bleh. I was really hoping that WP was going to be the perfect middleground. I love the look of the UI and the possibility of having removable memory (seriously Apple :fuckoff:) but drat, between Microsoft potentially gating with Windows 10 and AT&T's selection, I just don't know. How can AT&T have fewer options for WP than for iOS? And only one (635) is compatible with 8.1? That's crazy.

This thread makes the situation seem a lot more dire than it really is. For the most part I still find my phone (Lumia 920 on AT&T) a pleasure to use.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

All Windows Phone 8 devices are compatible with 8.1, it's just a matter of AT&T pushing it to all devices. I have 8.1 and cyan on my Lumia 1020 for example.

You might be confused because the 635 is the only att phone that launches with 8.1.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
OK, that is reassuring. So are you able to jailbreak and install 8.1 ahead of AT&T deciding you can have it?

I'm on the mailing list to get notified when the HTC One M8 becomes available. We're looking at moving over around Christmas time, I've gotta think they'll be available by then.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, Microsoft is definitely not going to gate with Windows 10, that's just people being paranoid.

Arclyte posted:

OK, that is reassuring. So are you able to jailbreak and install 8.1 ahead of AT&T deciding you can have it?

There's an officially-sanctioned (by MS) method of peeking ahead called the Preview For Developers (where "developer" actually means "enthusiast". It is a lifesaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Arclyte posted:

I'm on the mailing list to get notified when the HTC One M8 becomes available. We're looking at moving over around Christmas time, I've gotta think they'll be available by then.

Sort of, you can install a "developer preview" version of the OS by signing up for a free developer account. Some of the new features require accompanying firmware updates on the handset maker side.

Arclyte posted:

I'm likely doing the opposite (Windows Phone -> iOS) here shortly. For my use cases Windows Phone has been making increasingly less sense, and after playing around with Android I've arrived at the same conclusion you did.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2014