Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fingerling posted:

Never get into hospitality. It eats YOUR SOUL. Seriously though, gently caress hospitality.

e: EVER

Depends where you are really. On the Gulf Coast of Florida it's where the money is.

I've been at it for awhile and I don't hate my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

Depends where you are really. On the Gulf Coast of Florida it's where the money is.

This. Friend of mine has a felony and can't really get much outside of hospitality or food service, so he's mostly been working for resorts in Miami.

His reported income this year will easily be at least triple (likely more) than mine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know I know. Its just I have hit a stale point in life.

But the real question is... More train snap chats?

More train snap chats.

I should take more airplane snaps, but I'm usually too busy to be doing that stuff when I'm out there, plus snap chatting from the airplane is, well, frowned upon...:v:

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

More train snap chats y/n?

I'm struggling with my own life right now. Feel like I need to do something.... Bigger but I don't know what

More train snap chats.

Also, CharlesM, more dog snapchats, please.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Someone went to view the house, didn't want it because all the rooms were too small. It's a 13 foot wide 2 bed terraced house, what were you expecting?

Also is nearly 6am, I'm getting ready for work and the loudest thing in the house are the farts coming from the kids room :3:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I don't know how to into snapchat but I'd love to snapchat with you nerds.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Absolutely, I love seeing snaps from other peoples jobs. And sharing an unreasonable amount of snaps from mine. Seriously I feel like send out too much and will annoy people.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

N is for Nipples posted:

I don't know how to into snapchat but I'd love to snapchat with you nerds.

Brokenknucklez on snapchat. I'll send snap chats at strange rear end hours. Because you know... Trains run 24x7

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cakefool posted:

the loudest thing in the house are the farts coming from the kids room :3:

I managed to wake myself up today with one of the most satisfying farts I've ever had.

It was nearly 10 seconds of pbbbbbbtttttBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, followed by a very loud "ahhhhh" (and maybe a bit of checking to make sure I didn't poo poo myself). My stomach felt absolutely amazing afterwards, and I'm pretty sure I'll never feel the same thing again.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 10, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I managed to wake myself up today with one of the most satisfying farts I've ever had.

It was nearly 10 seconds of pbbbbbbtttttBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, followed by a very loud "ahhhhh" (and maybe a bit of checking to make sure I didn't poo poo myself). My stomach felt absolutely amazing afterwards, and I'm pretty sure I'll never feel the same thing again.

See? Perfect role model. I love you, STR, marry and/or adopt me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you don't want to disappoint your parents you could just drop off the face of the earth like I did, the only mistake I made was letting my grandma tell my dad I was still alive

That way he could choke on not knowing if his kid was dead in a ditch somewhere instead of merely choking on knowing your kid doesn't ever want to talk to you again

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bg586-wl38

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know I know. Its just I have hit a stale point in life.

More train snaps you gently caress.

I was at a stale point for a good year or so. Over working on really expensive poo poo for nearly a decade. (then really once expensive poo poo).

Now I have the insane idea of robotics in my head, because, gently caress it. why not? I need a new spine anyway.

and liver.

and stomach.
and 68.37 meters of intestine.

oh. and a left knee.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

N is for Nipples posted:

At 19-1/4 years I'm swinging for youngest, but I'm sure there's someone who took my 18-year-old AI nerd spot.

I'm 18, so I'm almost certainly the youngest AIer.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Snapchat my balls off @ solarNativity

Sinestro posted:

Congratulations on taking up the banner I thought I so proudly held!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Absolutely, I love seeing snaps from other peoples jobs. And sharing an unreasonable amount of snaps from mine. Seriously I feel like send out too much and will annoy people.

Not allowed to take pictures at work, so unfortunately you'll all have to miss out on pics of a computer... ON A DESK

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fingerling posted:

Never get into hospitality. It eats YOUR SOUL. Seriously though, gently caress hospitality.

e: EVER

Ask me about why I'm 33 years old with two knee surgeries and an aching lower back. Don't do it. Not even once.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

slip proof stairs posted:

More train snap chats.

Also, CharlesM, more dog snapchats, please.

I was afraid I was overdoing it, to be honest.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sinestro posted:

Not even half my age :)

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Ask me about why I'm 33 years old with two knee surgeries and an aching lower back. Don't do it. Not even once.

I'm pretty sure you and I work in the same industry. While not exactly hospitality, it's effectively the same 95% of the time, with the added benefit (in Australia, at least) of having a bullshit amount of screening to get, and ridiculous duties of care.

I'm 22, been doing it since I was 18 and am absolutely burned out. I feel 60, although that'a for different reasons.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This thread just took a turn for the depressing!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, it's one test, I know, and this professor does 1 makeup exam per semester so I can re-do it later. Just... I seem to get chains of "poo poo going well" going, and then when they break I just get pissed off to an unhealthy degree, like all the good didn't count. It's a loving head problem, I've been dealing with it all my life.

Plus, y'know, I'm 26 and still 3 years away from a bachelor's, still unemployed, still don't have my own place (for gently caress's sake, even the car is still in my mom's name, if only because insurance is cheaper that way) and it loving gets to me, and no amount of "poo poo's that bad for everyone you're not alone" ever seems to penetrate and I just end up pissed off that I'm doing so poorly.

gently caress what I wouldn't give for about an ounce of pot right now if I hadn't quite forever six years ago.

Edit: ignore me i'm just venting some pent-up frustration. I'll be better once i eat. and get some sleep.

30, been at university since 2004, STILL got 6 courses to go before I can graduate with a bachelors. Life justs gets in the way. I'll get it done one day. once the house is finished.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

No poo poo. I got up, saw a bunch of new posts and hoped something big had blown up... nope, just a collective sadness boner.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

To cheer things up, theres always the fact that theres a new Pink Floyd album coming out, and a new song streaming!

http://www.guitarworld.com/new-pink-floyd-song-streaming-now-louder-words-listen

I'd have given my left nut to have seen pink floyd live in concert, Thats not gonna happen any more.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What a morning... Get in around 8am, poo poo load of emails asking what's broken and why the machine is running slow. Bad part, no problem except the replacements that were supposed to arrive here yesterday arrived in Hannover. Colleague agrees to meet me half way but we have to do it as fast as possible because he has meetings at noon. Haul rear end there, get parts and haul rear end back. Replace part and get system back just in time for next round of performance tests.

So for work I had to drive as fast as possible. To bad the rental tops out around 200kph and won't let you set the cruise above 180. Customer wouldn't let me take his RS5 :(

Got back to Berlin and ended up next to an black BMW i8 going through the city. Holy poo poo that is a beautiful car and it sounded pretty good when he opened it up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 10, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, it's one test, I know, and this professor does 1 makeup exam per semester so I can re-do it later. Just... I seem to get chains of "poo poo going well" going, and then when they break I just get pissed off to an unhealthy degree, like all the good didn't count. It's a loving head problem, I've been dealing with it all my life.

Plus, y'know, I'm 26 and still 3 years away from a bachelor's, still unemployed, still don't have my own place (for gently caress's sake, even the car is still in my mom's name, if only because insurance is cheaper that way) and it loving gets to me, and no amount of "poo poo's that bad for everyone you're not alone" ever seems to penetrate and I just end up pissed off that I'm doing so poorly.

gently caress what I wouldn't give for about an ounce of pot right now if I hadn't quite forever six years ago.

Edit: ignore me i'm just venting some pent-up frustration. I'll be better once i eat. and get some sleep.

Yeah but you're winning Sheep Game, so at least you've got that going for you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tomarse posted:

Its this time of year. Days getting shorter, colder weather, etc. I known I have been feeling kinda sad lately. Just need to readjust.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its this time of year. Days getting shorter, colder weather, etc. I known I have been feeling kinda sad lately. Just need to readjust.

All of my cars are broken, everybody has been sick all week, I'm pretty broke after paying for a new fence, and we're all marching ever onwards towards our inevitable death.

On the other hand, the Smore's poptart I'm eating for breakfast is pretty rockin'.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is an advantage I have found to working 2nd shift. I just started it a couple months ago. I don't really get to see my wife during the week which sucks, but I get full advantage of daylight hours.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
It's kinda a stupid tag line from the Nerdist podcast I used to listen to, but hell, it's true:
"Enjoy your burrito." (aka enjoy the moment and don't get caught up in everything else).

Yeah, money troubles, car troubles, family troubles - but gently caress it. I'm going to take my son to his little yoga class and laugh my rear end off because I can (and a bunch of toddlers running around doing mini-yoga and just being toddlers is hysterical and cute). The rest will be here when I get back.

Also, more train snaps BK.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I love my jackass dogs. They're adorable and one of them is criminally stupid.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Y'all need to relax up in here.

Like this catte

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I actually like my job for the most part :)

I'm paid pretty well and my life is going solidly. I have a woman I usually wake up next to and a good relationship with my parents who are supportive.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
My life is really super decent. Horrible stuff doesn't happen too often and I usually find a way to trudge through it. But to add to the depression here I bought a 98 Integra LS for my girlfriend and acted a fool when I went to inspect. Broke all the rules on how to buy a used car and am paying for it now. The point of the story is now the car is running ok, new tires have been purchased but the alignment is so bad I'm really worried something is damaged beyond a reasonable amount of repair and we are approaching our limit on how much more to put into this car. Tell me it will be ok AI

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Maksimus54 posted:

My life is really super decent. Horrible stuff doesn't happen too often and I usually find a way to trudge through it. But to add to the depression here I bought a 98 Integra LS for my girlfriend and acted a fool when I went to inspect. Broke all the rules on how to buy a used car and am paying for it now. The point of the story is now the car is running ok, new tires have been purchased but the alignment is so bad I'm really worried something is damaged beyond a reasonable amount of repair and we are approaching our limit on how much more to put into this car. Tell me it will be ok AI
Im at the same point. Didnt take a long enough test drive for the overdrive light to start flashing, now I get to replace the transmission. I was trying to find the cheapest option, finding a used trans on craigslist and swapping it out. I finally decided "gently caress it" and Im just gonna get it replaced and hope that it lasts me for a few years. Ill take a huge loss if I sell it so I might as well keep it and try to keep it running.

Good luck with yours.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah the last page or so is pretty depressing.

My job is awesome, coworkers are awesome, and pay is good but trending towards awesome. I'm on track to be able to buy a nice house in about 8 months (with 20% down). Sooner if the state decides to do its first time home buyer thing again.

Also, no significant other or children so my life is pretty stress free and most of my income is disposable.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, my job is pretty awesome. There are probably about 100 V10 engines sitting in the building I'm in. I'm paid pretty well and my projects are always interesting and high-margin. And our company is doing very well at the moment.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't see myself being able to buy a house within the next 2 decades.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ferremit posted:

To cheer things up, theres always the fact that theres a new Pink Floyd album coming out, and a new song streaming!

http://www.guitarworld.com/new-pink-floyd-song-streaming-now-louder-words-listen

I'd have given my left nut to have seen pink floyd live in concert, Thats not gonna happen any more.

It's not terrible, but that song just doesn't seem quite right. It feels a little rushed, like it's always pushing on to the next bit, and some parts feel more like someone said "let's write a Pink Floyd style song" if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Talk about an easy day at work. Go in for an hour and a half, take chlorine samples, get readings off the wells, and now i'm home for the day eating lovely fast food and listening to the rain. Sometimes, life is good.

• Locked thread