Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oxyclean posted:

Two-enemy faction missions are seriously lame from a mechanics perspective: they get moral boosts when you kick one faction's rear end, but never seem to actually fight the other faction. Nor do they ever seem to lose the morale boost even when you start whooping them.

They do fight each other, but since raid leaders and such take set routes it's a puzzle of making the most of them. For example, strategies for Zelda's Lv2 baton quest tend to revolve around figuring out how to delay Volga so that the renegade Airalfos leader runs into him before either one reaches your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone know of a way to goad king dodongos into inhaling? Because I swear the most annoying thing is getting one that insists on just doing the single paw stomp or roll for 3 minutes straight.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

chumbler posted:

Does anyone know of a way to goad king dodongos into inhaling? Because I swear the most annoying thing is getting one that insists on just doing the single paw stomp or roll for 3 minutes straight.

There's really no way to goad the giant bosses into doing anything that'll open up their weak spots. I just stand in front of them holding block, side step most attacks, and just hope they decide to be nice and let me kill them. Dodongo and Manhandla seem to be the worst about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chumbler posted:

For Dodongo sometimes he just decides to stomp, but I've found standing in front of him at about firebreath distance usually makes him do the firebreath. If you back up just out of range of that and stand still he should always follow up with the big fireball of weakpoint exposure.

Manhandlas are my bane. Their seed spit is absolutely nasty and I haven't figured out how to dodge it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wish Argorok showed up more often. As rare as he is, it seems like they figured he was one of the harder ones for whatever reason.

^^edit: Just block it. Manhandala, is the only boss where it's usually better to block than dodge.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I constantly forget that blocking even exists in this game. Every time I remember, I try to block an attack and it just breaks my guard in one hit anyway. I just dodge around everything all the time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There's... a block button?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's more useful for recentering the camera and keeping locked on enemies on screen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

From the creator of the true canonical story of Cia:

Kinda want a green costume unlock for Cia now.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 10, 2014

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So quick poll, how many adventure stages have you had to redo because you forgot to use Search Jesus Christ not again

I did that on Midna's rank 2 weapon. Twice. First time I got B rank in Damage so I didn't notice, second time I A ranked it and didn't realize I didn't search for it yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I constantly forget that blocking even exists in this game. Every time I remember, I try to block an attack and it just breaks my guard in one hit anyway. I just dodge around everything all the time.

The Block button completely nullifies Manhandla's seed attack so it's good for that at least.

e: oh, that was already said. Well I can confirm it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Actually the two-faction missions are the best because they're the only ones that actually make you pay attention to your captains and keeps and all the strategy aspects behind the game.

Yeah, they're really fun. They've definitely kicked my rear end every once in awhile because you have to watch to make sure your base doesn't get seized, but like, you don't even mind. You just feel like you should have been paying more attention.

My routine right now for this game is to play one hard mission in Legend to grab a Skulltula, play through the rewards map with my lowest level character to rack up about 1500-1700 kills and some EXP/material/weapons/rupees, then play Adventure Mode until I reach a moment of despair. I'm 2-3 missions away from unlocking Ghiranim and 4 missions away from Agitha and I'm finally starting to get a few level 2 weapons. So far I have the Fire Rod and one or two others.

Bombchus and summoners are currently the bane of my existence. Bombchus because they take so much time to kill that I could be using to rack up kills and summoners because the map doesn't always tell you where they are and until you can find them, you're pretty much stuck in your base clearing out the hordes they dump in it.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

chumbler posted:

Well, lucky you.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

So quick poll, how many adventure stages have you had to redo because you forgot to use Search Jesus Christ not again

I think that only happened once to me. What does keep happening is that I keep selecting those army missions that end in giant monsters, get done with all A-rank requirements about 8 minutes in that figure, hey, I got time to burn and take more bases/mow down more mooks, then take out the enemy commander at the 14 minute mark only to realise I completely forgot about the giant monster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every single time I turn on the game I tell myself I am going to check out my alternate costumes and every single time I completely forget to do so.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
I gave Fi's lv. 3 sword stage a try. Shield Moblins everywhere. My no-star lv. 2 sword barely scratches them too. So, time to try and luck into a good weapon.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

I think that only happened once to me. What does keep happening is that I keep selecting those army missions that end in giant monsters, get done with all A-rank requirements about 8 minutes in that figure, hey, I got time to burn and take more bases/mow down more mooks, then take out the enemy commander at the 14 minute mark only to realise I completely forgot about the giant monster.

Almost got screwed by that on Links Lv. 3 Gauntlet mission the other day. I was using a 5 star lv 2 gauntlet so I tore through poo poo relatively quickly, got the skulltula (which I just ignore half the time), and then ended up getting to Zelda around 8 minutes. I figured I could take my time with her and make sure I didn't lose too much HP, so I finished her off around 12 minutes. Then Argorok showed up. :stare: I had no idea he was in the mission at all. It's a good thing his weakpoint is so easy to get, I finished him with like 20 seconds to spare. If I hadn't just gotten that 5 star from a run through the reward map, there's no way I would have been fast enough.

Chain Chomp is sweet btw

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zertoss posted:

I gave Fi's lv. 3 sword stage a try. Shield Moblins everywhere. My no-star lv. 2 sword barely scratches them too. So, time to try and luck into a good weapon.

Remember that the apothecary exists. Lord knows I would have saved a lot of time if I did.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Once you unlock level 2s, do those show up exclusively in drops or can you still get level 1s?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Once you unlock level 2s, do those show up exclusively in drops or can you still get level 1s?

LV1's still drop, annoyingly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think Network Link missions are the only way to guarantee a specific weapon/level drop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can use the weapon rank mixture and a stars+ skill to give a better chance of a high stars weapon of a better rank. It's not guaranteed though. The weapon drop system is kinda dumb.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Flytrap posted:

I still don't have a clue how to do that mission. It starts off and you're flooded with like 30 loving Poe's and dinos, and they all have hundreds of thousands of health. It takes around 10-15 weak breaks to kill a single one, and you're catching so many things in each break that you're getting about 10 frames per minute and what the gently caress is even going on anymore.

YYYYYX fills half of your water meter, so do that twice ona crowd of scrubs (or even on nothing at all) and fire X attacks into the crowd of poes and aeralfos using a weapon with Strong Attack + on it.

Oxyclean posted:

Man, Lana's level 2 summon circle mission is pissing me off. No matter what I do the home base ends up absolutely mobbed by both forces so hard I can barely leave base. If I can manage to not lose the home base, I either end up taking enough chip damage from the million poes and stalmasters or take more then 15 minutes.

Two-enemy faction missions are seriously lame from a mechanics perspective: they get moral boosts when you kick one faction's rear end, but never seem to actually fight the other faction. Nor do they ever seem to lose the morale boost even when you start whooping them.

Don't kill either of the marked enemies it tells you to until the furore has died down. Spam X until you get Argorok; then follow up with YYYYX and ride that thing like the murder machine it is. With a Strength V weapon you'll shred even the commanders. Once you've stopped getting mobbed go and kill one of the marked captains.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dastardly posted:

Well, lucky you.

Wonderful. Perhaps now Link-senpai will finally notice her.

Edit: In fact that palette swap existing is probably what actually motivated the comic, now that I think about it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 10, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

chumbler posted:

From the creator of the true canonical story of Cia:

The first is...I'm reminded of the Zhou Tai ending in DW5 where he drinks Sun Quan under the table.

The second is asking for a 5th page where Liu Bei or Guan Yu or even Sun Shang Xiang shows up. "WELCOME TO SHU!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I like that it seems most of the internet considers Cia to be a complete laughingstock of a villain.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
The guy's pretty good.
http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/99554966452/hurl-warriors-comics

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
You know, I was palying Link Between Worlds last night and thought of something...Hyrule Warriors needs more Sahasrahla.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I like that it seems most of the internet considers Cia to be a complete laughingstock of a villain.

She's an effective villain. But it's so damm easy to mock her premise-it's a good and effective knock on the more crazy fan-types. The Internet realises this(I would think), and laughs both with it and at it.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
If you're really looking to farm a specific weapon, you can replay the stage you unlocked that weapon from. You still need to A-rank it to get the chest, but I think your bonus skills affect it instead of getting the default blank version.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dastardly posted:

The guy's pretty good.

hyrulewarriors.jpg right there.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

These are pretty good, this guy is pretty cool.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

warriors.jpg right there.

Fixed. It's ALWAYS been ridiculous just how ineffective your allies are. They make you want to rant oh so very much.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think its laughingstock, its just appreciation for the fact she is crazy and her motivations are crazy. For my money I think Cia is one of the better characters in the franchise already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bloodly posted:

She's an effective villain. But it's so damm easy to mock her premise-it's a good and effective knock on the more crazy fan-types. The Internet realises this(I would think), and laughs both with it and at it.

Her premise being what it is ends up being kind of endearing, at least for me. Though those comics' interpretation of her and her being the underdog certainly helps.

Probably also helps that her counterpart is boring and dumb. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that people generally like Cia more than Lana.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

You can use the weapon rank mixture and a stars+ skill to give a better chance of a high stars weapon of a better rank. It's not guaranteed though. The weapon drop system is kinda dumb.

Yeah, the potions are kind of infuriating, in my opinion. I never like spending the materials on them because it often barely feels like they're working.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Cia would fit well in an actual Zelda game with a few minor tweaks. It might even be kind of interesting if she just went obsessively after Zelda and refused to actually harm Link, then was conflicted when he raised his sword against her and went totally nuts.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

chumbler posted:

Her premise being what it is ends up being kind of endearing, at least for me. Though those comics' interpretation of her and her being the underdog certainly helps.

Probably also helps that her counterpart is boring and dumb. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that people generally like Cia more than Lana.

I know I do, and it doesn't have anything to do with boobs or anything no really guys I swear

No seriously, Lana is about as interesting as a field of grass. Doesn't help that her voice is super annoying and she keeps striking those stupid poses. She has like the least personality in the game, which is something when you are in the same game as Link of all people.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 10, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

chumbler posted:

Lana's probably about as crazy, but it's more muted(Being 'the good half' and all) till you get the Summon Gate and she lets her inner fangirl out. Then again, most of her attacks have her giggling.

But then again, a lot of people act...weird. Ruto worries me, for instance. But then I remeber it's a Warriors game, they're all loving god-kings of pain, so of course they're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, the potions are kind of infuriating, in my opinion. I never like spending the materials on them because it often barely feels like they're working.

It would be a lot better if the star system didn't exist so that beating a weapon stage was just a permanent damage upgrade and all grinding for weapon drops was limited to slots and skills. There are a ton of rare skills I've never seen because it makes no sense to use the other mixtures when I'm still trying to get higher damage weapons!

• Locked thread