Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Didn't Skullclamp get an emergency ban as well like within a month after the set was released?

Nope, lasted until June i.e. was not banned in March when it could and should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Elyv posted:

Skullclamp didn't get banned for like 6 months, I'd link the banning article but I'm on my phone.

4 months, they basically banned it when Fifth Dawn came out, even though it was in the intro packs.

Super interesting article about how R&D can just completely miss stuff sometimes.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af17

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Not that this defends the decision to print it but the thing that turned Memory Jar from "combo piece" into "emergency ban combo piece" was probably all the artifact mana available in Urza block and in the environment generally, plus Tinker.

Another pseudo-Wheel for combo decks to use whilst going off? Eh, whatever. Being able to use some combination of Petal, Diamond, Monolith, Mana Vault and Voltaic Key to cast and/or Tinker for it and crack it turn 1 or 2, drawing into more mana/jars/tinkers/Megrims? Okay, now you're in :derp: territory.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Does Ajani Steadfast's +1 ability trigger heroic?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Xeom posted:

You have answered your own question. Re-read Heroic to find out why.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Xeom posted:

No, Heroic specifically states when you cast a spell targeting the creature.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

So it seems they're waiting until October 22 to patch Pauper. Until then, here's a list of sweet cards that weren't legal, but now are:

Strip Mine
Hymn to Tourach
Sinkhole
High Tide
Merchant Scroll
Goblin Grenade
Guerrilla Tactics
Night Soil
Sunken City
Active Volcano//Flash Flood

To be honest they could just ban High Tide, Strip Mine, Sinkhole, Hymn, and Grenade and let the others stand. Night Soil is a sweet card for the dredge deck, and nothing outside of those five would be too imbalanced. Also watch them cancel the Pauper dailies.

Night Soil was banned? Pauper is weird, I never realized there were more than three playable cards in Fallen Empires.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

Night Soil was banned? Pauper is weird, I never realized there were more than three playable cards in Fallen Empires.

It wasn't banned. It was just never printed online at Common, so you couldn't play it in Pauper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If an equipment, namely Ghostfire Blade, is enchanted by ensoul artifact, does it lose it's ability to equip to things?

It doesn't lose the ability to equip, it just falls off immediately as a state-based effect any time it becomes attached to a creature, so there's no point in trying to equip it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Entropic posted:

It doesn't lose the ability to equip, it just falls off immediately as a state-based effect any time it becomes attached to a creature, so there's no point in trying to equip it.

Will an Ensoul Artifacted Skullclamp still be on long enough to kill an X/1 creature it's attached to?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zemyla posted:

Will an Ensoul Artifacted Skullclamp still be on long enough to kill an X/1 creature it's attached to?
If it was attached to a creature before ensoul, then yes it would kill it but it would kill the x/1 before you have a chance to play ensoul. If you play ensoul on it, it can't be attached to anything for any length of time until ensoul falls off somehow.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zemyla posted:

This is the point where I defer to a judge because I'm not even sure activating the equip ability does anything. I think it might actually just be an arbitrary rule that an equipment that's also a creature can't use its equip ability. I know equipment that's a creature can't be attached to a creature, but the way the comp rules are worded I think I was wrong before and you just straight up can't activate the equip ability of an equipment that's also a creature.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yawgmoth posted:

If it was attached to a creature before ensoul, then yes it would kill it but it would kill the x/1 before you have a chance to play ensoul. If you play ensoul on it, it can't be attached to anything for any length of time until ensoul falls off somehow.

OK, so what happens if the opponent has Call to Arms in play naming white, with Skullclamp equipping a white 1/1 creature when you Ensoul the Skullclamp? Does Skullclamp become unequipped next time you check state-based effects, or does it happen before that?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 10, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm confused about this scenario you guys are discussing. How are people casting Ensoul Artifact on a Skullclamp before it has a chance to kill an x/1?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

OK, so what happens if the opponent has Call to Arms in play naming white, with Skullclamp equipping a white 1/1 creature when you Ensoul the Skullclamp? Does Skullclamp become unequipped next time you check state-based effects, or does it happen before that?

The judge punches you in the dick for using a needlessly convoluted scenario. We all applaud.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The comp rules don't call for a dick punch until Opalescence is worked in somehow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://www.twitch.tv/magic

Its begun!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My intuition is that it's on checking on SBEs, but I have to admit that I don't know for sure and don't really care.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And so begins the spike of Necropolis Fiend.

I hope.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I've got a much less convoluted question that may be relevant at tonight's FNM.

If my opponent gains control of my face-up Ashcloud Phoenix and it dies, under whose control will it return to the battlefield face down?

The reason I'm not just assuming "the owner's control" is that the latest ep of Judgecast mentioned that if you Act of Treason your opponent's Meandering Towershell and attack, when it finally returns from exile it will return under your control permanently.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Does the player who owns Ensoul Artifact have any white permanents? If not, then Call to Arms doesn't grant +1/+1 anyway and would have been sac'd already. If they do have a white permanent and white becomes tied with blue, then upon resolution, checks reveal that both Skullclamp is a creature and the white creature is 1/1 again and both state-based actions happen at the same time, killing the creature and triggering both Call to Arms and Skullclamp.

Does that sound right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PT Speculations?

1: U/W control is going to be better than most thought. Elspeth in turn jumps 10 bucks.
2: Winning deck is going to have blue in it somewhere.
3: There isn't going to be a deck in the top 8 that hasn't shown up in SCG events.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

If my opponent gains control of my face-up Ashcloud Phoenix and it dies, under whose control will it return to the battlefield face down?

The reason I'm not just assuming "the owner's control" is that the latest ep of Judgecast mentioned that if you Act of Treason your opponent's Meandering Towershell and attack, when it finally returns from exile it will return under your control permanently.

I'm pretty sure that when it dies, it returns to the battlefield of the person whose graveyard it enters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

Anything that just says "return to the battlefield" is assumed to do so under its owner's control unless otherwise stated. Meandering Towershell works differently because it specifically says "under your control", and "your" on a card means the controller, not the owner.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So the first pack opened in the draft has a sorin... jesus.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Reid Duke with the p1p1 Sorin :laffo:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Reid Duke passing a p1p3 Ghostfire Blade for a Chief of the Edge. I mean, I like Chief of the Edge, but.. over Ghostfire Blade?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

qbert posted:

Not sure if this is 100% reliable, but Cranial Insertion had this answer:

http://www.cranialinsertion.com/article/1410 posted:

Q: If I use Act of Treason to take my opponent's (face-up) Ashcloud Phoenix, and then I sacrifice it to Butcher of the Horde, who gets the Phoenix?

A: You do! Whenever an effect instructs a player to put a permanent on the battlefield, the player who's being instructed to put the permanent on the battlefield will end up being the permanent's controller (unless the effect itself says otherwise). The player being instructed to put Ashcloud Phoenix onto the battlefield is you in this case, since you're the controller of its triggered ability (because you were the controller of the Phoenix when it died). So the Phoenix is put onto the battlefield face-down under your control.

And my own Phoenix question, about the following ruling on Gatherer:
If Ashcloud Phoenix leaves the graveyard before its “dies” ability resolves, it won’t return to the battlefield.

This is pretty intuitive and how most effects like this have been, but why does this work this way? It doesn't say "return it to the battlefield from the graveyard", just "return it to the battlefield", so why does it care which non-battlefield zone the Phoenix is in at all?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nibble posted:

This is pretty intuitive and how most effects like this have been, but why does this work this way? It doesn't say "return it to the battlefield from the graveyard", just "return it to the battlefield", so why does it care which non-battlefield zone the Phoenix is in at all?

Because cards that move between zones generally do not have card memory unless an effect specifically overrides it.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
They picked the perfect camera angle to capture the glare on the cards so you can't see any of the cards :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nibble posted:

If Ashcloud Phoenix leaves the graveyard before its “dies” ability resolves, it won’t return to the battlefield.

"Dies" is a shortcut that means "enters the graveyard from the battlefield", so the ability implies that it triggers from the graveyard. What Toshimo said is also correct.

Emerson Cod posted:

Does the player who owns Ensoul Artifact have any white permanents? If not, then Call to Arms doesn't grant +1/+1 anyway and would have been sac'd already. If they do have a white permanent and white becomes tied with blue, then upon resolution, checks reveal that both Skullclamp is a creature and the white creature is 1/1 again and both state-based actions happen at the same time, killing the creature and triggering both Call to Arms and Skullclamp.

Does that sound right?

The player who owns Ensoul Artifact is the one who owns Skullclamp and Eager Cadet as well. As for whether you got the right answer, I have no idea, but that's plausible. I like how the creature is a 1/1 when it dies to a state-based effect.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Zemyla posted:

An Equipment that's a creature can't become attached at all. It won't kill a thing.

701.3b If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object it can’t be attached to, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification doesn’t move.

For Ashcloud Phoenix:

110.2a If an effect instructs a player to put an object onto the battlefield, that object enters the battlefield under that player’s control unless the effect states otherwise.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nibble posted:

Thanks, although with two other responses above yours saying the opposite, I'm still as confused as ever!

As to your question, by definition a creature "dying/dies" means it's entering the graveyard from the battlefield, so that's why the gatherer ruling is worded that way. The ruling is just saying that if an effect like Rest in Peace is active when the Phoenix dies, it won't return to the battlefield.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Is that some silky smooth 15FPS? It looks better than other Wizards broadcasts.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Reid trolling on camera taking the Mind Rot over Rush of Battle when he has two Warrior lords.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Reid trolling on camera taking the Mind Rot over Rush of Battle when he has two Warrior lords.

makes sense, rush of battle tables super loving late.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

neetengie posted:

Is that some silky smooth 15FPS? It looks better than other Wizards broadcasts.

I'm a fan of the 2 seconds of audio video desync.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
This is the first draft coverage I've watched so this may be a stupid question. What are the marks on the cards? It looked like some pen marks on the rules text.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DarkRider09 posted:

This is the first draft coverage I've watched so this may be a stupid question. What are the marks on the cards? It looked like some pen marks on the rules text.

In major events, any sealed or draft cards are marked to prevent cheating.

Example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Toshimo posted:

In major events, any sealed or draft cards are marked to prevent cheating.

Example:

Makes sense, thanks. Also explains the mark on the mizzium mortars I got out of my local stores binder.

• Locked thread