Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

somethingwicked posted:

The military really love their acronyms. SFC, 1LT, and SPC are ranks, SIPR is their secure network. No idea what BBB stands for.

Better Business Bureau? :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If youre not turning incoming faxes into PDFs im gonna hit you with a brick

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I recently had to contact the local ISP on behalf of one of our clients to reset their DSL password for their static ip, because they'd forgotten it and didn't have it written down anywhere, and the password reset request had to be faxed. On company letterhead.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
We're paying like $2k a year to keep 8 faxes and their dedicated analog trunks online with our voip, it's absolutely stupid. I did a cost analysis on a hosted fax solution (~$200/year) and they still didn't bite

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
For some weird reason security auditors poo poo on your head if you send out confidential information over unencrypted email, encrypted email is :effort: to get working but sending an uncompressed bitmap over a copper cable is somehow ok.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A CFO came in...

... and asked the Help Desk guy to scan a document, email him the PDF, and return the original to him.

Twice in two days.

The Help Desk guy, being more helpful than technically skilled, is happy to do this.

Help Desk guy is happy to solve users' computer problems for free during his downtime.

How does one tell a co-worker it's OK to grow a backbone?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

A CFO came in...

... and asked the Help Desk guy to scan a document, email him the PDF, and return the original to him.

Twice in two days.

The Help Desk guy, being more helpful than technically skilled, is happy to do this.

Help Desk guy is happy to solve users' computer problems for free during his downtime.

Don't. I might come in handy sometime in the future.

Honestly though, they will have to find it out on their own and it likely won't be at that job.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
A backbone is something you can get after you upgrade from your Helpdesk job

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MJP posted:

A CFO came in...

Twice in two days.

Years ago, when I was a desktop technician, our VP of "Engagement" (in charge of catering and bus tours) came in to the IS area, dropped his keys and a $20 on the desk of our most spineless helpdesk kid, and said verbatim "Fill it, wash it, and have it back by 2. Thanks"

Ken (the HD guy) actually took his car, filled it, washed it, and had it back by 1:30.

I would have left it in the river.

At least the VP got chewed out once our CEO found out about his little stunt. And now that same VP is on the Board of the new company I'm working for. :sigh:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

Don't. I might come in handy sometime in the future.

Honestly though, they will have to find it out on their own and it likely won't be at that job.

The stink of suckerdom is already thick in his work area, he'll never shake it at that company no matter how many times he washes. MJP would probably be wise to distance himself as much as possible in case some gets on him.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

Years ago, when I was a desktop technician, our VP of "Engagement" (in charge of catering and bus tours) came in to the IS area, dropped his keys and a $20 on the desk of our most spineless helpdesk kid, and said verbatim "Fill it, wash it, and have it back by 2. Thanks"

Ken (the HD guy) actually took his car, filled it, washed it, and had it back by 1:30.

At least the VP got chewed out once our CEO found out about his little stunt. And now that same VP is on the Board of the new company I'm working for. :sigh:

I would have put diesel in it.

"I'm sorry, I haven't passed my Gas Cert yet."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"I'm sorry I don't have a license"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Does anybody have experience using an Untangle appliance as a VPN concentrator? Or a program called Viscosity which is an OpenVPN client?

I got an e-mail out of the blue from the MSP at our parent company saying that they've decided to use them to handle "VPN services to your LAN". Apparently forgetting the fact that I've been running an OS X VPN server for about three years with little issue.

Like what the gently caress, I've had a perfectly good solution in place and it was your stupid employee who couldn't figure out how to get Cisco AnyConnect set up for our Windows clients. I'm all for using this solution for our Windows clients (because it's been months with no solution on the AnyConnect front) but trying to force me to change my entire infrastructure at the drop of the hat is not cool.

Every single time I think I'm done dealing with their bullshit they pull me back in.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
spines are an uncommon upgrade in IT

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na, it starts when you get tired of peoples BS.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We have a new user. Typically, our support tickets take five to seven replies to finish. We can, however, clock up to 50 posts on a single page before having to break up the ticket thread into multiple pages.

This ticket is... Lemme check.

Yeah. So that's nearly 350 posts. And the "mailserver issue" was the start of it. Our support TOS states that we only support problems directly with our software - Issues with the rest of the software on the server, user-installed scripts, and client software are things we can't help you with. The following is a summary of a single ticket, submitted as "URGENT - Physical danger to equipment or business losing money".

• "Mail server issue", also known as "how do I configure my client?" Fifteen replies of "I'm sorry, we can't help with that" and the user responding with his OP again.
• "I can't get email". The email address he was using didn't exist as a box on that domain. "Sure, here it is." Screenshot of unsubmitted add box.
• "Hello?" "Hello?" "Hello?" "Hello?" Our hours are M-Th 0700-1700 EST, F and Su 0900-1700 EST. That's written on the helpdesk site. C'mon, man. "OK can I get you to change that to be 0900-1700 GMT?"
• "I can't get email." (Different address) That email address doesn't appear to exist on the server. "But I added that other one. It should do what I mean."
• "I can't send email." Authentication errors. "I forgot my password." Here's the reset procedure.
• "OK. I want to make a feature request so that if you type 'password' in any password box it lets you in, so if you forget your password you can reset it."
• "My DNS doesn't work." Looks fine to me. "It doesn't let me set up a different address for google."
• "Here's a screenshot of what I want to do." It's a picture of dude's monitor. Like, from a cell phone camera.
• "For some reason your software didn't install right and I reinstalled it. Now everything works."
• "Hello?"
• "Hello?"
• "SSL doesn't work. See? It gives me this thing about an .htaccess password." You installed a .htpasswd file on that domain. You can open it in your favorite text editor to see what the password is. "I don't know how that got there."
• "All my websites are completely inaccessible." Ethernet cable disconnected. SERIOUSLY?
• "Can I edit your software's source code?" No. Encrypted. "OK but [COMPETITOR] lets me do that." Nope.
• "How do I upload to FTP via root?" Uh, that's a bad idea, but your root password should work fine for that. "It doesn't. WHY DID YOU LOCK ME OUT OF MY COMPUTER" We didn't.
• "I demand to speak to your boss." The only person above me - technical support lead - is the CEO. He's in Michigan for a week, and won't be able to get back to you until then. "I'll sue you for locking me out of root."
• "It turns out that I threw the post-it with my root password away and forgot. If I open up the remote-assistance tunnel, can you reset it for me?" Whoops, sorry, dude. You've got to talk to our legal department now. Also, security, no.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m.hache posted:

I would have put diesel in it.

"I'm sorry, I haven't passed my Gas Cert yet."

Wouldn't touch the car, but I might open up the key fob and fill it with solder.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

• "Can I edit your software's source code?" No. Encrypted. "OK but [COMPETITOR] lets me do that." Nope.

This one is my favorite. Based on everything else I can only imagine what he thought he might accomplish.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Antioch posted:

I'd have seen how far and fast I could go and still be back by 2.

Down potholed roads.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Exit Strategy posted:

Whoops, sorry, dude. You've got to talk to our legal department now. Also, security, no.

This is my favorite part of these stories. Any legal threats and it's, "Sorry, per ironclad policy I'm no longer allowed to talk to you since you made a legal threat. No, doesn't matter if you apologize and say you didn't mean it. I now have the perfect excuse to never deal with you again."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Che Delilas posted:

This is my favorite part of these stories. Any legal threats and it's, "Sorry, per ironclad policy I'm no longer allowed to talk to you since you made a legal threat. No, doesn't matter if you apologize and say you didn't mean it. I now have the perfect excuse to never deal with you again."

Yeah. I love these. Mention legal action? It's out of my hands. Nice knowing you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

spog posted:

Down potholed roads.

Hope it's a manual transmission. "Your car's engine really screams man, it was exhilarating. By the way, what's that third pedal for?"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GreenNight posted:

Na, it starts when you get tired of peoples BS.

This.

I replied back to the VPN demand e-mail and pretty much said that my current solution works fine but hey let's implement this for the Windows users! I haven't gotten a reply back and previous experience says they won't care but gently caress it, it's bullshit.

Granted I'll probably get another talking to about "not being a team player"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

Hope it's a manual transmission. "Your car's engine really screams man, it was exhilarating. By the way, what's that third pedal for?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJItQYPXQc

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

The stink of suckerdom is already thick in his work area, he'll never shake it at that company no matter how many times he washes. MJP would probably be wise to distance himself as much as possible in case some gets on him.

I've perfected the delicate balance of projects and escalated work to the point where I can always claim X, Y, and Z as needing my immediate attention. The resting busy face, I suppose. "Joe-bob, can I take care of that for you in about 10 minutes? vCenter's giving me some issues spinning up desktops again."

I'm not even touching on the deficiency of Helpdesk Fred's technical skill set. I'm not so jaded as to not try to teach the guy wherever possible - I got the idea in his head to get his certs, and he's slogging through the 70-640 book right now, so I'm helping him through a lot of DNS stuff - and to help him out if he's feeding users incorrect info. But to be honest, despite his background at a Linux-based networking role, he doesn't really have the best technical instinct.

I want him to be successful; I had a sysadmin at a previous job who treated me like poo poo whenever I proposed a technical solution to an onerous repetetive task, and him being a jerk led me to bust my rear end to cert up and get into sysadmin so I'd never treat someone like that. But on the spectrum of technical skill and service skill, he's way skewed on the service side. Amazing with people, just not of the "solve it and move on" mentality that's been how I always had a brain.

I let him ask me for help these days before I answer questions with a teach-to-fish approach. Still, though, this CFO is a highly paid consultant who has multiple other side gigs and got shouted down by our accounting manager when he tried to have her get bottles of water for him.

tl;dr the guy's too nice to be jaded like us and I can't fathom why, it's probably my goon side rising up.

Edit: the job is actually pretty good to and for me, I have more or less free reign to delegate to the help desk guy as I need/his skill set allows. My boss and I are on great terms, commute is reasonable. Downsides: fairly frequent on-call, I gotta cover the helpdesk if Fred is out or on lunch, health plan is just OK. But hey, remote work instead of taking a sick day isn't bad at all.

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MJP posted:

Edit: the job is actually pretty good to and for me, I have more or less free reign to delegate to the help desk guy as I need/his skill set allows. My boss and I are on great terms, commute is reasonable. Downsides: fairly frequent on-call, I gotta cover the helpdesk if Fred is out or on lunch, health plan is just OK. But hey, remote work instead of taking a sick day isn't bad at all.

Don't forget, you're teaching this guy things. Teaching someone else is probably the best way to cement and internalize your own knowledge of a thing, so unless you're already a guru, you're benefiting significantly from that as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ahdinko posted:

But surely a hard drive carrying that kind of data is locked down tighter than a ducks arse anyway, so data couldn't have been written/read outside of the fancy secure network?

Haha, this is really hilarious. Good joke.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Exit Strategy posted:

We have a new user. Typically, our support tickets take five to seven replies to finish. We can, however, clock up to 50 posts on a single page before having to break up the ticket thread into multiple pages.

This ticket is... Lemme check.

Yeah. So that's nearly 350 posts. And the "mailserver issue" was the start of it. Our support TOS states that we only support problems directly with our software - Issues with the rest of the software on the server, user-installed scripts, and client software are things we can't help you with. The following is a summary of a single ticket, submitted as "URGENT - Physical danger to equipment or business losing money".

• "Mail server issue", also known as "how do I configure my client?" Fifteen replies of "I'm sorry, we can't help with that" and the user responding with his OP again.
• "I can't get email". The email address he was using didn't exist as a box on that domain. "Sure, here it is." Screenshot of unsubmitted add box.
• "Hello?" "Hello?" "Hello?" "Hello?" Our hours are M-Th 0700-1700 EST, F and Su 0900-1700 EST. That's written on the helpdesk site. C'mon, man. "OK can I get you to change that to be 0900-1700 GMT?"
• "I can't get email." (Different address) That email address doesn't appear to exist on the server. "But I added that other one. It should do what I mean."
• "I can't send email." Authentication errors. "I forgot my password." Here's the reset procedure.
• "OK. I want to make a feature request so that if you type 'password' in any password box it lets you in, so if you forget your password you can reset it."
• "My DNS doesn't work." Looks fine to me. "It doesn't let me set up a different address for google."
• "Here's a screenshot of what I want to do." It's a picture of dude's monitor. Like, from a cell phone camera.
• "For some reason your software didn't install right and I reinstalled it. Now everything works."
• "Hello?"
• "Hello?"
• "SSL doesn't work. See? It gives me this thing about an .htaccess password." You installed a .htpasswd file on that domain. You can open it in your favorite text editor to see what the password is. "I don't know how that got there."
• "All my websites are completely inaccessible." Ethernet cable disconnected. SERIOUSLY?
• "How do I upload to FTP via root?" Uh, that's a bad idea, but your root password should work fine for that. "It doesn't. WHY DID YOU LOCK ME OUT OF MY COMPUTER" We didn't.
• "I demand to speak to your boss." The only person above me - technical support lead - is the CEO. He's in Michigan for a week, and won't be able to get back to you until then. "I'll sue you for locking me out of root."
• "It turns out that I threw the post-it with my root password away and forgot. If I open up the remote-assistance tunnel, can you reset it for me?" Whoops, sorry, dude. You've got to talk to our legal department now. Also, security, no.

How did it get this far without turning into a "fire the client" situation?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Dear remote network engineer,

The answer to a request to block an IP address in the firewall because Spiceworks popped up a suspicious address alert is not "Do you have Spiceworks loaded on that machine".

Christ, it's like pulling teeth.

I'd say the same log entry repeated over and over again is a pretty good indication that there was an attack.
code:
Oct  9 11:49:57 $SERVER sshd[2762]: Did not receive identification string from 222.186.34.115

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 10, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pr0digal posted:

I'd say the same log entry repeated over and over again is a pretty good indication that there was an attack.

Sometimes I let stuff like that go. At an old job our ftp server would get 50 connection attempts a day from a random European IP address for the account "Administrateur". Since it was a 10 year old PowerMac G4 running a commercial FTP server I didn't give a drat, even the NSA would have to dig for an exploit that'd run on that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spog posted:

Down potholed roads.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

mllaneza posted:

Sometimes I let stuff like that go. At an old job our ftp server would get 50 connection attempts a day from a random European IP address for the account "Administrateur". Since it was a 10 year old PowerMac G4 running a commercial FTP server I didn't give a drat, even the NSA would have to dig for an exploit that'd run on that.

In looking at the logs this has been going on for ages without an issue and since they're just guessing usernames that don't exist I'm not that worried. From about a zillion Chinese IPs, all of which are failing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

In looking at the logs this has been going on for ages without an issue and since they're just guessing usernames that don't exist I'm not that worried. From about a zillion Chinese IPs, all of which are failing.

Not sure if you can do this with your business but I've just geo-blocked entire countries that I know we'll never deal with.

Made my firewall logs much quieter.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

How did it get this far without turning into a "fire the client" situation?

Dude's an utter noob, to the point where he subsequently asked for simple things like how to chown files. I kicked it back down to a tech at that point, who responded with canned "Sorry, that's outside the scope of our support. Please contact your system administration team for assistance with your issue" mails. This generally makes the nuisance client go away, because they don't want to stop pretending that they are a Serious Company with Serious Investors who Take Things Seriously.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

m.hache posted:

Not sure if you can do this with your business but I've just geo-blocked entire countries that I know we'll never deal with.

Alas I don't have access to the ASA box. That's our wonderfully dense remote network engineer who is giving me trouble when I try to block one IP.

Also I got a literal "I went to Playboy.com for the articles and it was blocked" e-mail. Never thought I'd see that one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

m.hache posted:

Protip: don't block everything northeast of Warsaw if your biggest client is in Finland.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Protip: don't block everything northeast of Warsaw if your biggest client is in Finland.

We're a local Courier company that deals within North America. I pretty much just block countries as soon as a bogus IP starts hitting us.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

mllaneza posted:

I believe this is the McCarthy method of firewall rules.

Works every time and roots out them commie IPs.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh, god.

Not the same client as yesterday, but holy gently caress.

"I got this error while configuring the alias on my server. My mistake was i made an amendment on the mysql table using text editor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh, god.

Not the same client as yesterday, but holy gently caress.

"I got this error while configuring the alias on my server. My mistake was i made an amendment on the mysql table using text editor."

You need to do what that little green man is doing in your avatar.

• Locked thread