Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That interview was from a year ago. Do people reading Eternal consider it the core Batman title these days? Was it actually ever in the first place? Honestly curious.

My points about the actual comic named Batman still apply as it is very self-contained, and always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doing a "last Batman and Joker story" is incredibly dumb even in concept unless you're doing an Elseworld because in a few years another writer is going to just do another Batman and Joker story.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

TheJoker138 posted:

Doing a "last Batman and Joker story" is incredibly dumb even in concept unless you're doing an Elseworld because in a few years another writer is going to just do another Batman and Joker story.
Well I assume Snyder means the last one he'll write, at least for the long haul.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lotus circle posted:

Well I assume Snyder means the last one he'll write, at least for the long haul.

Pre new 52 how often was Joker off the table?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nomura's take on Catwoman. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
To be honest I'm don't mind Joker being competent. He's been competent for some time, from the video games to the cartoons to the comics (I mean Morrison didn't exactly write him as a chump, you know). The only thing that bothers me is that it just feels like it's coming too close off the end of DOTF. Like, I guess Snyder just decided a year of Riddler plus cramming like every other character ever in the Bat-mythos over in Eternal equaled enough cool-off time for people to not want other villains?

I'm a big DOTF apologist even though a lot of people think it's easily the weakest of his stories, and I know he kinda teased another Joker story at the end of that one, but drat man, there's so many other stories you could go with before blowing your load on another Joker story.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Honestly thought it was his take on an Alien at first.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well Eternal is what it sets the tone of the whole line and is penned by Snyder so it should count as a main title.

Don't Eternal and Endgame finish at the same time? March 2015 is it? And after that Snyder's leaving Batman so the next writer, assuming it's someone big enough to influence the direction of the line, might just come in with a "nah, gently caress that poo poo".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought Snyder and Capullo had both said they were sticking around longer than the end of Endgame?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

They're sticking around until 50ish.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought Snyder and Capullo had both said they were sticking around longer than the end of Endgame?

Yeah, just looked it up and you're right, in September Capullo said 16 more issues. No idea where I got the idea but I was convinced they were off after Endgame. Gives me a few more years of completely ignoring Batman then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

To be honest I'm don't mind Joker being competent. He's been competent for some time, from the video games to the cartoons to the comics (I mean Morrison didn't exactly write him as a chump, you know). The only thing that bothers me is that it just feels like it's coming too close off the end of DOTF. Like, I guess Snyder just decided a year of Riddler plus cramming like every other character ever in the Bat-mythos over in Eternal equaled enough cool-off time for people to not want other villains?

I'm a big DOTF apologist even though a lot of people think it's easily the weakest of his stories, and I know he kinda teased another Joker story at the end of that one, but drat man, there's so many other stories you could go with before blowing your load on another Joker story.

My issue with Joker and the way he is written in general (and not just by Snyder) is that his mere existence now makes Batman seem like the worst hero ever. It seems that every time Joker shows up, scores of people die, Batman might barely beat him and send him to prison where he outsmarts everyone again, escapes, and kills scores of more people. Meanwhile he constantly outthinks Batman and ramps up the violence to levels that would probably make Gotham rethink its "not guilty due to mental incapacity" rule, Batman is chasing his tale for most of the storyarc and then Joker tells Batman something something and Batman says "off to Arkham again for you, let's see if it works this time you unapologetic madman you". It just gets so stupid and tedious after awhile.
I'm not saying Batman should go against his no kill rule or anything, but I just wish writers would write a Joker story where Batman actually wins against the Joker for once instead of Joker getting some kind of "moral victory" over the Batman repeatedly.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I definitely enjoyed the new Batgirl. I got massively turned off by a lot of DC shenanigans over the last couple of years so this was the first DC I've read in a long time, and I really really loved how tonally different it was from a lot of the other books. In a way it reminded me a lot of the early New 52 Supergirl before that title turned to poo poo, hopefully this one will last a while longer.

There were a couple of things I didn't like though, mostly involving Barbara being a loving idiot. Why would a supposed computer genius not have proper backups of her research? And why would a veteran superhero try to entrap someone by using her real name and photo on a dating site and then confronting the creep in a mask that barely covers her face? And then she's surprised that someone knows who she is? I know, I know, suspension of disbelief etc, but those little bits of stupidity stood out in what was otherwise a pretty great issue.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Zandatsu! Take it all!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kind of looks like a cross between Catwoman from DC One Million and the outfit from #50:

\

bow before my '90s catwoman knowledge

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 10, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From the NYCC:

Snyder posted:

"I try to write little escape hatches into Batman in case you don't like us. But if you want us, we want to stay around. #50 is where Greg's contract ends, and it's literally in our contracts for us to work together on this book, but we could extend. So after Endgame, we're changing the status and doing these small mysteries. If you guys like those small mysteries, there's a subplot in all that that will build to 50, and would make it all "someone is behind that" and there's a big epic there. I have a ton of ideas on the book, and I'd love to stay on, but the character means too much to us for us to ever just be going through the motions."

I really hope he's joking there, I couldn't handle another twist of those.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nope. That's what I want. A bunch of small stories that are somehow linked together sounds perfect.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was talking about the "have everything since the beginning was planned by a mastermind from the shadows" aspect, small stories linked together would be perfect.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The way he says it sounds like he's just talking about after Endgame, not his entire run on the book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

The way he says it sounds like he's just talking about after Endgame, not his entire run on the book.

On a second read, you're right. Still is getting old with Snyder, so far all his stories have included that plot twist: James Jr. on the Black Mirror, Lincoln March for Court of Owls, the Joker for DOTF, Riddler for Zero Year, Hush on Eternal.

Although to be fair Joker and Riddler were expected so it wasn't a bad use of the twist.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Batgirl was pretty fun, it looked really great too. It's nice that DC are allowing more books outside of the House Style these days.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'm on vacation and catching up on a month of missed comics.

Gotham Academy: clearly setting things up, but I loved it. I hope we get more characters to be honest, because I'm going to be less enchanted if Eeyore Silverhair is the dominant voice, but I loving loved the art and the premise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Batgirl was fun, but I find some of the dialogue irksome. There is some teenage valley-girlness in the dialogue that is not really evocative of the young 20 somethings in 2014 that the book is supposedly about.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batgirl was fun, but I find some of the dialogue irksome. There is some teenage valley-girlness in the dialogue that is not really evocative of the young 20 somethings in 2014 that the book is supposedly about.

But learning young twenty-something 2014 lingo means interacting with them. :v:

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Simone's Batgirl dialogue was very matronly and read like she was in her 50's. I think she comforted someone with "Oh, honey.." once per issue. I'm surprised there wasn't a B-plot about soup recipes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I don't think it helped that Simone has been use to writing Barbara Gordon as Oracle for the past decade and not as Batgirl, where she's supposed to be younger. Not less mature mind you, but there will be major differences without experience in mind.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman and Robin was worth it if only for Gleason's great pecills

The story was also entertaining but nothing that left me in awe (like it was with RHATO) while Eternal keeps being really mediocre, I did enjoy Croc's plot this time though but the thing between Barbara and Jason keeps bothering me to no end. I'm gonna quote myself from the RHATO thread:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since I'm talking abot Jason's appearances this week, I'm gonna say that Eternal is terrible.

The way they shill to Barbara like being the best (I can believe she's better than Jason but superior to Dick? no way) is really grating but is nothing compared to how thick and forced they're write Jason and Barbara crushing on each other, frankly it seems like something out of Tumblr or Fanfiction.

It feels damaging to both characters since only reinforces the misguided impression of Jason being a second rate Dick Grayson on the N52 and takes a lot of agency to Barbara since it seems that she's crushin on Jason not for who is but because he's a replacement for Grayson.

Seeley seems to be aware of this with the last page though:

With any luck Jason will never return to Eternal and since both RHATO and Batgirl are doing its own thing now, these relationship is never brought back again.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Tim should honestly keep that costume after this is over. Far better than his current get-up and combines elements on his original Robin costume with his current new-52 one fluidly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The green cowl throws Barbara's off, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

Tim should honestly keep that costume after this is over. Far better than his current get-up and combines elements on his original Robin costume with his current new-52 one fluidly.
Those wings are something straight from a Rio Carnival parade, and I hate them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

redbackground posted:

Those wings are something straight from a Rio Carnival parade, and I hate them.

OYL scalloped cape supremacy

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just binge-read Cassandra Cain's solo series. It was pretty great, you guys.

It's weird to think she was the first Batgirl to actually get her own series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barbara did get a regular solo backup slot in Detective Comics in the late 60s-early 70s. I have a Showcase Presents of that stuff and it's pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 15, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Barbara did get a regular solo backup slot in Detective Comics in the late 60s-early 70s. I have a Showcase Presents of that stuff and it's pretty good.

Really? Well Cass was still the first to get her own solo book that was all Batgirl, all the time. Suck it, Didio! :colbert:

I'd kind of like to see her and Tim get some closure, they made a cute couple, even if they never quite figured it out. :unsmith:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
There are some Red Robin issues where Cassandra shows up, but I can't recall which ones. But yeah for DC's love of Barbara, Cassandra and Stephanie historically got solo series before her.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

lotus circle posted:

There are some Red Robin issues where Cassandra shows up, but I can't recall which ones. But yeah for DC's love of Barbara, Cassandra and Stephanie historically got solo series before her.

Red Robin #25, as Black Bat

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just binge-read Cassandra Cain's solo series. It was pretty great, you guys.
Did you read it to the bitter end, where Nora Fries becomes LAZARA?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Too bad for Cassandra and Stephanie that they're not the one that DC editorial grew up with.

Oh, and the hilarity about those B&R (though I agree, like the pencils*) panels for me is that for some inexplicable reason, it seems like "writer's instructions" specifically had Gleason do Jason Todd as "the heavy", not just in depicted proportions/build but also his poses, like "Tim and Barbara have to look svelte and all but I want a bruiser Jason Todd who bodyslams people."

* The pencils as of right now, that is -- I'm still not sure what the hell was SUPPOSED to be going on when he did Batman & Wonder Woman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

redbackground posted:

Did you read it to the bitter end, where Nora Fries becomes LAZARA?

I did. I didn't really like the direction they took there, especially with Cass' character, but luckily the ending of her solo series allows me to skip all the awful stuff between that and her showing up in Steph's series/Red Robin while still remaining consistent as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Chortles posted:

Too bad for Cassandra and Stephanie that they're not the one that DC editorial grew up with.

Oh, and the hilarity about those B&R (though I agree, like the pencils*) panels for me is that for some inexplicable reason, it seems like "writer's instructions" specifically had Gleason do Jason Todd as "the heavy", not just in depicted proportions/build but also his poses, like "Tim and Barbara have to look svelte and all but I want a bruiser Jason Todd who bodyslams people."

* The pencils as of right now, that is -- I'm still not sure what the hell was SUPPOSED to be going on when he did Batman & Wonder Woman.

Jason's on or was on Venom in his solo title, maybe the timelines match up.

• Locked thread