Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dongattack posted:

Came here to post this also. After my Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor addiction passes, it looks like i'm being loving dragged back into Skyrim again :v:

My Shadow of Mordor addiction passed after the game left Mordor. Like, I killed a metric shitton of captains and all the warchiefs and even the Hammer and finished all the quests and my reward was to be moved to a new map with new captains and new warchiefs and new quests and also new towers so I couldn't fast travel anymore. gently caress that, I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I noticed there is a change log out for a new version of the USKP dated 9/27, but there is no new patch to go along with it. Is it hosted somewhere else, or is the log being updated as stuff gets worked on before release?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Hahaha good luck. If you're anything like me, you'll replace every mod you take out with something else.

Since this turned out to be 100% true for my mod purge I'll post a few things I added to replace some of the stuff I got rid of.

Horses On Patrol
I love this one. For some reason I get a huge kick out of passing a patrol on the road, and it makes having a horse feel more natural when you aren't the only one riding one.

The already-mentioned Follower Goes on a Trip
I haven't played around with this one extensively yet, so unfortunately have not had the chance to rescue any of my followers yet. It seems pretty neat so far though.

Jaxonz Renamer which is an excellent companion to the Positioner. Rename all the barrels!

Solitude - The Tower of the Wolf
Started a new character so I needed a new player house. This adds a 3-floor apartment to a tower near the main gate. Externally it's pretty unobtrusive, there's a door in the stairwell and balcony up on the tower. It is also free, you just walk in and take over. It has lots of bookshelves and a fair number of weapon displays, compact crafting stations on the first floor including one of those tiny cookpot smelters, a pretty cute bathroom that isn't overly elaborate (and is a great place to drop a well bucket if you're using iNeed), and a double bed upstairs and room for one follower downstairs. I found the clutter and some of the furniture to be pretty uninspired but that has made it a great blank slate for redecorating. I'd say if you need a starter home and want to live in Solitude it would be worth checking out. It also plays well with Dawn of Solitude and Better Entrances because I'm using both of those this time and haven't had any issues.

I also added that castle player home near Solitude mentioned upthread and then promptly forgot I added it; ran across it last night and had a little WTF moment wondering where that castle came from. My character is only level 5 right now because I've been playing Skyrim Interior Decorator Sim instead of killing stuff so I haven't been inside it yet.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 11, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Squeegy posted:

My Shadow of Mordor addiction passed after the game left Mordor. Like, I killed a metric shitton of captains and all the warchiefs and even the Hammer and finished all the quests and my reward was to be moved to a new map with new captains and new warchiefs and new quests and also new towers so I couldn't fast travel anymore. gently caress that, I'm done.

Aw man the second map is where you get the ability to start dominating captains, sending death threats, and building up a brainwashed orc army who can be commanded to ambush other captains.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FadedReality posted:

Aw man the second map is where you get the ability to start dominating captains, sending death threats, and building up a brainwashed orc army who can be commanded to ambush other captains.

I could already send death threats, but I didn't see the point. I was just faced with the prospect of literally starting the map over from scratch and I was like "nah, I'm out."

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So earlier in the thread someone posted a pair of mods that looked interesting and now I can't find them. One was a new levelling system that just gave you experience points for doing stuff which you would then use to buy skill ranks, the other was a new stat system that calculated health, stamina, magicka and probably some other things based on stats which were themselves derived from various skills. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

I also love Alternate Stat System + Skyrim XP Mod. I mess with the leveling a bit though and I think I toned the default Skyrim leveling by 50% and use 200% xp gained, basically rewarding 'achievements' over 'practice'. Generally not a fan of TES leveling systems; at least by themselves.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
This post?

Tzarnal posted:

Hey guys. Lets talk about Leveling a bit. Specifically Experience Mods.

Skyrim is perhaps the first Elderscrolls game that can claim to have a perfectly fine default leveling system. Sure its flawed but its not particularly broken or counter-intuitive. Unless you stick a lot of effort into leveling up skills with minimal actual in-game power gain you won't screw yourself over by making the monsters too hard like in Oblivion. Best of all you don't need to plan out exactly what skills to train to get good levelup bonuses.

Some complexity was lost along the way, there are less skills and attributes are gone. In return we've got Perks now. A fair trade in my mind. And we've seen many mods that change the Perk system. Some just rebalanced them, some completely overhaul. Mods like SkyRe and Requiem don't simply change Perks but also tie those changes into many other game wide changes. Over the years people have invented quite a few ways to improve leveling systems. In Morrowind those all still took the shape of the original idea behind TES leveling. Doing A thing made you better at Doing That Thing. In Oblivion we saw the same efforts, in fact a few of the popular Morrowind mods simply had their basic ideas behind how leveling should work ported over.

However there was also another approach, ye olde venerable XP system. Oblivion XP. There is nothing wrong with the TES idea, in fact I quite enjoy it. But I also like the XP system, mostly because it rewards Accomplishment more than it rewards Repetition. Obllvion XP was fairly popular, its still 44th on the Nexus Most Endorsed files of all time for Oblivion. It spawned quite a few plugins for many of the bigger overhauls and quest mods.

The basic idea behind Oblivion XP was that as you did things like finish quests, closing Oblivion gates, getting Deadric Artifacts and naturally killing people. Doing so gave you XP, get enough XP and you can level up, as you levelup you can increase skill and attributes. This should be very familiar, it works like this in basically any game with an XP system ever.

There was an early attempt to add an XP system to Skyrim, SkyXP by weimer. It works well enough but suffers a few issues, it was made before SkyUI created the ability for mods to have their own UI panels. In an attempt to work around that it used a special inventory where taking out a specific item increased up a corresponding skill. Its not been updated and this clumsiness makes it rather user unfriendly.

A second attempt was DFB - XP Mod Redone by Darkfirebird. This mod tries to support both users with SKSE and SkyUI and those without. By default it uses an inventory system similar to SkyXP but it has optional support for a SkyUI menu. Which certainly makes it a loss let awkward to use when installed with that.

However XP Mod Redone's XP mechanics leave something to be desired. Skyrim and its level system add some complexity to leveling up that you did not encounter in Morrowind or Oblivion. Selecting Perks, Selecting which one of Health, Stamina and Magicka and most importantly Adding Perk points to the player require going through the default levelup menu. Especially when working without SKSE.

SkyXP fixed this by turning its experience into a point buy system. Everything you did got you XP, and you bought skill increases directly with that XP, the higher a skill the more XP it would cost. Leveling up a skill counted towards a normal character level just as normal in Skyrim. Which took care of the actual character leveling neatly.

XP Mod Redone doesn't do this exactly. It chooses to have its own internal level system, and leveling up gives you a number of points to spend on skills, skill that still have a scaling cost. Ultimately this to me is its greatest weak point, its too convoluted. I used it for about a day but quickly gave up on it for that reason.

About a week ago I spotted SXP - Skyrim Experience Mod by eins on the nexus. SXP is a "Modern" mod, it works purely through a nice SkyUI mod interface and its experience system works like SkyXP in that you buy skill increases directly from your earned xp leaving the actual Level completely up to Skyrim.

Using it is probably about as simple as you can make this sort of mod. Its Nexus description page is full of awkward English from an obviously Japanese author but don't let that fool you, it is perfectly clear in game. It also has the ability to turn some of your XP into Perk points and I'm hoping it will add something that lets me buy Health, Magicka and Stamina with XP so I can try it without using the normal skyrim levelup process. Its going to be tricky to convert what you've bought to an actual level though. I've been using it these past few days and I really enjoy it. So if you want to try an XP mod for Skyrim I recommend this one.

It was quoted in the second post of the thread, if so.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Mr. Crow's post quoting himself is the one I was thinking of. Also, has anyone tried 28 Days Later? It looks.. interesting.

Edit: The alternate stat system is currently hidden. Boo :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are the recommended combat mods for skyrim these days?
Either as combat overhauls, or little extra things you and enemies can do, or just pure visuals?

I know there was one that just tried to add some visuals when you hit something to give it some impact, but I forgot the name of it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Visual impact sounds like TK Hitstop. Combat evolved, ultimate combat overhaul, SkyRe's combat overhaul and Duel are all possible combat mods. Combat evolved supposedly works with any of the others and enhances them, but I haven't tried it myself. As far as extra things, TK Combat is interesting if you want magic powers that you can use on-the-fly with a weapon out. It's script-based (bleh) but it works by an action key. The direction you're moving plus the action key use different powers, kind of like power attacks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Buried alive posted:

Mr. Crow's post quoting himself is the one I was thinking of. Also, has anyone tried 28 Days Later? It looks.. interesting.

Edit: The alternate stat system is currently hidden. Boo :(

Looks awesome, but I can't be hosed to try it out. Someone LP it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Is there a way to export the modlist from mod organizer?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hi guys. I recently got back into Skyrim after discovering the Requiem mod to make it a bit more of a old school TES game. I downloaded Frostfall-RND-Hunterborn to go with it and was having a blast until I noticed I was unable to make the Stone Axes or repair broken axes that Frostfall introduced. Annnnd then I noticed that some of my Hunterborn items were not appearing on the crafting list either. So I changed my load order around a bit and suddenly it was working again; then this morning I found out I had the Requiem Survival Experience esp loading too early so I moved that and found that my potions had been fixed to the requiem style of potion but that I lost a large chunk of the craft from Hunterborn and Frostfall again. I also acquired Even Better Quest objectives but have not managed to get them working at all.

I am now very lost and confused about what order I need to load my stuff in and I can't make head nor tail of the load order FAQs for each mod because they all say different things and I am very stupid. A friend told me to use the Mod Organisers sort function but it doesn't appear to help.

Can someone please tell me where I have gone wrong and what order these should go in? Here is a link to the order they are currently in after running Skyrim Mod Organisers LOOT thingy: http://i.imgur.com/RhVsLHc.jpg

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Shanakin posted:

Is there a way to export the modlist from mod organizer?

You can go to the folder for the profile you're using in the Mod Organizer directory and there will be a loadorder.txt in there. Don't edit them as Mod Organizer uses them but you can get the list from there.

Gridlocked posted:

Hi guys. I recently got back into Skyrim after discovering the Requiem mod to make it a bit more of a old school TES game. I downloaded Frostfall-RND-Hunterborn to go with it and was having a blast until I noticed I was unable to make the Stone Axes or repair broken axes that Frostfall introduced. Annnnd then I noticed that some of my Hunterborn items were not appearing on the crafting list either. So I changed my load order around a bit and suddenly it was working again; then this morning I found out I had the Requiem Survival Experience esp loading too early so I moved that and found that my potions had been fixed to the requiem style of potion but that I lost a large chunk of the craft from Hunterborn and Frostfall again. I also acquired Even Better Quest objectives but have not managed to get them working at all.

I am now very lost and confused about what order I need to load my stuff in and I can't make head nor tail of the load order FAQs for each mod because they all say different things and I am very stupid. A friend told me to use the Mod Organisers sort function but it doesn't appear to help.

Can someone please tell me where I have gone wrong and what order these should go in? Here is a link to the order they are currently in after running Skyrim Mod Organisers LOOT thingy: http://i.imgur.com/RhVsLHc.jpg

After you run Sort you might have a problem notification in the top right. If you do, check to see if it needs to move things around more in there. Don't lock the load order of mods like that, though. From my understanding, LOOT knows which order the mods should go in and will put things in the right order in almost all cases.

I also see you don't have a bashed patch at the bottom there. That might be why you're having conflicts.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

All of those RND/Hunterborn/Frostfall patches are supplanted by the Requiem Survival Experience(All you need are the three main mods themselves and then that one patch) which is probably causing the current problem you are facing, which is why reading the mod pages is important.

Other things I've noticed, Requiem was updated to 1.8(.1) recently and most of the compatibility patches for it haven't been updated to that yet so you should probably disable those because I know that guys patches have yet to be updated. These are some unofficial ones that have been updated to 1.8, they should work. Any other you'll have to check and make sure they've been updated in the last month or so. And yeah there are a few missing, unfortunately you either have to play without those mods or downgrade to Requiem 1.7.3. I believe Requiem also already includes the stuff that Convenient Crossbows does, as well as a Brawl Bugs fix, I don't believe that sorting mods are compatible with Requiem due to their sheer amount of item editing(and that ones compatibility patches haven't been updated in a year), and the main Requiem file should really be near the end of your load order with the comp patches(that are updated to the patch) only after it(LOOT gets this one wrong).

Edit: Also did you rerun the Requiem SkyProc patch after messing with your load order? You should always update it after messing with your mods(remember to run it in admin mode).

Zeron fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 11, 2014

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks for the help so far guys. I will try it out when I get home.

Honestly though do you think it would be less frustrating and easier to manage if I just scraped everything and rebuilt my list from the ground up?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Gridlocked posted:

Thanks for the help so far guys. I will try it out when I get home.

Honestly though do you think it would be less frustrating and easier to manage if I just scraped everything and rebuilt my list from the ground up?

Nah, at most it sounds like you've got some tidying up to do with Requiem but not much else. Do the stuff Zeron said, hit that Sort button, check for problems up yop, then run Wyre Bash through Mod Organizer and make a bashed patch. If that doesn't sort you out, come on back :tipshat:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

FadedReality posted:

Nah, at most it sounds like you've got some tidying up to do with Requiem but not much else. Do the stuff Zeron said, hit that Sort button, check for problems up yop, then run Wyre Bash through Mod Organizer and make a bashed patch. If that doesn't sort you out, come on back :tipshat:

Thank ye kindly sir.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Is there a way to get rid of tutorial messages? I keep getting a "press z to shout" pop up whenever I quickload from a quicksave.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Is anyone successfully using Combat Evolved? I've been pleased with the combination of Ultimate Combat and Revenge of the Enemies so far, but wanted to try adding Combat Evolved after watching a Brodual video on it.

It behaves strangely for me, though. When I activate Combat Evolved and load up a saved game I get the "mods from this save have been removed" message even though all I've done is activate the one new ESP for Combat Evolved. And then when I load into the game, all of my other mods' initialization scripts start running as if they've been installed for the first time.

It's really strange, and I am going without Combat Evolved for now, but wondering why it would be conflicting with all of my other mods in this way. I am using the recommended load order for combat mods as listed on the Combat Evolved page, too.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is there a way to get rid of tutorial messages? I keep getting a "press z to shout" pop up whenever I quickload from a quicksave.

In your ini file (if you use MO change it through its ini editor) set
code:
[Interface]
bShowTutorials = 0

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Is there an "essentials" mod list for an improved Skyrim experience?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Kikka posted:

This varies from person to person so much that it's best to just peruse the OP and pick what sounds best to you. You'll have your people saying SPERG, some saying Requiem, and some saying Skyrim Redone. Some people will say combat should be fast and brutal to the point that dual wielding is a bad idea because you NEED blocking to survive a fight.

If you absolutely must have an "essentials" list, check the second post of the thread and start with that "first time playthrough" list of mods. From there, you could go to STEP and see if STEP Core is the sort of thing you're looking for.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Thanks!

I would like to play Skyrim more, but it's such a pain in the rear end to keep it modded while being stable. Last time I quit playing because all of my equipment disappeared randomly at some Dwemer ruins :/

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'd definitely recommend Mod Organizer if you've not used it before. It looks a little obtuse at first glance but really helps with keeping everything organized, which for me means easier to keep things stable.

Also make sure you're running the SKSE.ini fix:

FadedReality posted:

As long as you're using the most current version of SKSE, just add this to your skse.ini:

code:
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
If you don't have a skse.ini, make one in %gamepath%/Skyrim/Data/SKSE

Well, basically, do everything in this guide here.

I'd also recommend getting this mod even if you don't mess with the amount of cells that load in. I was having crashes and/or slowdown when just running around outside and after I got that mod I don't anymore. Not necessary

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 11, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

LtSmash posted:

In your ini file (if you use MO change it through its ini editor) set
code:
[Interface]
bShowTutorials = 0

Thanks!

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

FadedReality posted:

I'd also recommend getting this mod even if you don't mess with the amount of cells that load in. I was having crashes and/or slowdown when just running around outside and after I got that mod I don't anymore.
If one plans to use this mod, I highly suggest testing it before starting a serious run with it. This mod made every new save take 30 seconds to load, up from 3-5 seconds (on an SSD). This applies to saves made after loading an affected save even after uninstalling. Old saves worked just fine, I always used the default number of cells indoors and outdoors, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with this game sometimes. Always test mods with DLL files before extensive use, and hard-save often.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Positronic Spleen posted:

If one plans to use this mod, I highly suggest testing it before starting a serious run with it. This mod made every new save take 30 seconds to load, up from 3-5 seconds (on an SSD). This applies to saves made after loading an affected save even after uninstalling. Old saves worked just fine, I always used the default number of cells indoors and outdoors, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with this game sometimes. Always test mods with DLL files before extensive use, and hard-save often.

I added that mod to my game at the same time that I did every other performance and stability related fix so I assumed it was that mod making my game more stable. I just did some A/B testing and yeah, my load times are way better without that mod. I loaded from an interior cell to the first exterior cell of the session in under 10 seconds, when with that mod it was closer to 20-30. I just assumed I was running so many scripts that it took a while. I'll play more later and see if I stay stable running around outside.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So I recently gave SkyRe a try and loved it, it has it's problems but it's the most fun I've had in Skyrim in ages. So then I decided to give Requiem a try and yeah, it's the worst experience I've ever had in Skyrim. The font is incredibly annoying, combat is a boring slog, perks are pretty much the same as vanilla except with vague and useless writing, and it has a load of "roleplaying" features that do nothing but make the game awful to actually play. Running(as in not holding the walk button) drains your stamina, no fast travel, you can't wear a single piece of armor without making your spells prohibitively expensive unless you delve deep into the armor perk trees, there's no default health regen at all for most races and your stamina/magicka regen incredibly slowly which means that a mage can only cast a spell for like 3 seconds max at the start and it does almost no damage and then you have to wait 10 minutes to recharge, and did I mention that the font is incredibly awful? SkyRe combat feels dangerous and fair, Requiem combat feels like your weapons are made of silly string and your enemies are wearing plate armor.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Requiem sounds a lot like they tried to emulate Morrowind. Which, the old goat has a special place in my heart but god drat trying to go back to poo poo like whiffing 4 out of 5 sword hits because ~dice rolls~ and having someone start to hate you because you won't stop asking for 55 gold instead of 54? Can't do it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

THEY HAVE A METAL GEAR? HERE?!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Capn Beeb posted:

What is happening with that axe arm :stare:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Gamebryo :haw:

This isn't a bowl full of moon sugar god dammit

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

FadedReality posted:

I added that mod to my game at the same time that I did every other performance and stability related fix so I assumed it was that mod making my game more stable. I just did some A/B testing and yeah, my load times are way better without that mod. I loaded from an interior cell to the first exterior cell of the session in under 10 seconds, when with that mod it was closer to 20-30. I just assumed I was running so many scripts that it took a while. I'll play more later and see if I stay stable running around outside.
I may have spoken too soon, my actual problem is way weirder than I originally stated. My load times are fine, but each save I make is becoming gradually slower to load. Like I have a file from yesterday that loads in a few seconds, and quickloads are almost instant. But as I play over about an hour the save loading gets worse, while normal cell transition loading is still perfectly fine. And the problem is tied to the actual save files, because older saves still work perfectly. The files aren't even getting bloated or anything, I don't know what the deal is. The mod isn't even there anymore!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Capn Beeb posted:

METAL GEAR?! [/hayter voice]

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Kikka posted:

Mod Organizer + Wrye Bash are essential for making mods actually function together. Use Mod Organizer's sort function + create bashed patches with Wyre bash to combine lists. It's really easy to find guides on it.

SPERG makes fewer changes than Requiem but it's very modular and doesn't conflict with much so if you plan on using a lot of mods I'd say SPERG. Requiem also does poo poo like delevel enemies so that the game is prohibitively difficult when you're first starting but then once you're into it everything is really weak, and change combat in ways like Zeron mentioned to make it not fun. Combat mods are all just personal preference. I use Ultimate Combat but it can be very punishing for people who use light armor and don't block.

For absolute essentials get the unofficial patches for the base game and any DLC that you have. If you're using a mouse + keyboard SkyUI is basically essential too. If you plan on using followers, vanilla or not, Extensible Follower Framework makes them less terrible and lets you customize a ton of things about them without really having any downsides.

For less essential things but things that you are better off having, there are a lot that I just can't play without anymore. For more monsters download Immersive Creatures, none of the monsters look out of place and you don't get poo poo like Khajit heads pasted onto cat bodies for enemies like you do in MoMod. If you're into killmoves download VioLens, it's replaced A Dance of Death as the "good killmove mod". Dragon Soul Relinquishment is a very good mod late game because dragon souls end up becoming absolutely pointless without it. If you plan as playing as a vampire, Better Vampires, for werewolves Moonlight Tales.

For absolutely non-essential but still nice to have armors/weapons, immersive armors and immersive weapons are both very very nice. Unique Uniques also goes through and changes the models for most of the unique weapons in the game so that they actually look different and special. It's a nice touch. The Bandoliers mod adds a ton of craftable pouches that you can wear together to raise your max carry weight without feeling like you're cheating. Cloaks of Skyrim + Winter Is Coming are both good mods that add cloaks that play nicely together.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zeron posted:

So I recently gave SkyRe a try and loved it, it has it's problems but it's the most fun I've had in Skyrim in ages. So then I decided to give Requiem a try and yeah, it's the worst experience I've ever had in Skyrim. The font is incredibly annoying, combat is a boring slog, perks are pretty much the same as vanilla except with vague and useless writing, and it has a load of "roleplaying" features that do nothing but make the game awful to actually play. Running(as in not holding the walk button) drains your stamina, no fast travel, you can't wear a single piece of armor without making your spells prohibitively expensive unless you delve deep into the armor perk trees, there's no default health regen at all for most races and your stamina/magicka regen incredibly slowly which means that a mage can only cast a spell for like 3 seconds max at the start and it does almost no damage and then you have to wait 10 minutes to recharge, and did I mention that the font is incredibly awful? SkyRe combat feels dangerous and fair, Requiem combat feels like your weapons are made of silly string and your enemies are wearing plate armor.

For requiem I used the optional mod configuration to remove the stamina drain on running and adjusted the damage dealt/taken sliders to a level that felt *good* to me along with adjusting a couple other toggles since they have tons of stuff to change, but yeah, I've found it is very unfriendly to mages early, especially with higher costs for lower stamina.

No fast travel I've actually gotten used to with faster horses, so long as my mods are setup right so I don't crash often.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 11, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Mod Organizer + Wrye Bash are essential for making mods actually function together. Use Mod Organizer's sort function + create bashed patches with Wyre bash to combine lists. It's really easy to find guides on it.

SPERG makes fewer changes than Requiem but it's very modular and doesn't conflict with much so if you plan on using a lot of mods I'd say SPERG. Requiem also does poo poo like delevel enemies so that the game is prohibitively difficult when you're first starting but then once you're into it everything is really weak, and change combat in ways like Zeron mentioned to make it not fun. Combat mods are all just personal preference. I use Ultimate Combat but it can be very punishing for people who use light armor and don't block.

For absolute essentials get the unofficial patches for the base game and any DLC that you have. If you're using a mouse + keyboard SkyUI is basically essential too. If you plan on using followers, vanilla or not, Extensible Follower Framework makes them less terrible and lets you customize a ton of things about them without really having any downsides.

For less essential things but things that you are better off having, there are a lot that I just can't play without anymore. For more monsters download Immersive Creatures, none of the monsters look out of place and you don't get poo poo like Khajit heads pasted onto cat bodies for enemies like you do in MoMod. If you're into killmoves download VioLens, it's replaced A Dance of Death as the "good killmove mod". Dragon Soul Relinquishment is a very good mod late game because dragon souls end up becoming absolutely pointless without it. If you plan as playing as a vampire, Better Vampires, for werewolves Moonlight Tales.

For absolutely non-essential but still nice to have armors/weapons, immersive armors and immersive weapons are both very very nice. Unique Uniques also goes through and changes the models for most of the unique weapons in the game so that they actually look different and special. It's a nice touch. The Bandoliers mod adds a ton of craftable pouches that you can wear together to raise your max carry weight without feeling like you're cheating. Cloaks of Skyrim + Winter Is Coming are both good mods that add cloaks that play nicely together.

Added links for convenience since this is a really good list.

Other things I'd add, you need SKSE to get most of those mods to work, OneTweak lets you set up borderless windowed mode, Forgotten Magic Redone has a bunch of spells that are both unique and that level up as you use them to allow you to customize them to a great extent, and of course Autosave Manager which is essential to the saving and loading experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

FadedReality posted:

SKSE.ini fix

do everything in this guide here.

I was going to ask about what seems to be a weird memory leak where I start to see some objects as all blue; normally NPC weapons and armor and then the game crashes soon after. I've LOOT sorted, Bashed and cleaned everything LOOT yelled at me about with TES5Edit without fixing it but when I get home I'll try the above .ini fix and go through the steps in the stability guide and see if that helps.

Hopefully I don't need to start a new game again, though I am getting really good at getting back to level 10 quickly.

• Locked thread