Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I've been gathering a list of modern games with satisfying gunplay

List so far:
spec ops the line
wolfenstein
alien isolation (Willing to bet the gunplay in this game is going to be sweet)
sniper elite 3

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for games with big fuckoff gunplay. The kind like Max Payne 3 where the weapons are really satisfying and responsive to use and the enemy's overall dynamics during gameplay. As in hit/death animations, AI and all that other good stuff.

List so far:
spec ops the line
wolfenstein
sniper elite 3

I've also been playing a lot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. While the game itself is incredible its age shows (it's a game that should have multi core support but doesn't). Are there any other incredibly dynamic freeroaming FPSes out there?

Get Bulletstorm, aka Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I had a game on the tip of my tongue, but it slipped my mind. It's gritty, gory, brutal in your face combat with melee combat as responsive as gunplay (even if it's simply a melee button with contextual finishers and what have you). It's not Dead Space, but it is a third person shooter.

If not, off the top of their head, does anyone have suggestions for a third person shooter in the same vein as Gears? Or at least the kind of game I'm describing. Really brutal, responsive and in your face combat. It may have been a microsoft exclusive, It may even be a console exclusive. In fact the reason why I'm going crazy finding it is because I was trying to determine if it was even released on the PC.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeoSeeker posted:

I had a game on the tip of my tongue that was kinda like Gears of War.. but it slipped my mind. Gritty, gory, brutal in your face combat with melee combat as responsive as gunplay (even if it's simply a melee button with contextual finishers and what have you). All I know is that it has that same kind of way Gears does. Really visceral, vivid and downright brutal in third person. It's not dead space.

Can anyone think of third person shooters in the same vein as Gears? Really brutal, responsive and in your face combat. It's driving me nuts a little. It may have been a microsoft exclusive, It may even be a console exclusive. In fact the reason why I'm going crazy finding it is because I was trying to determine if it was even released on the PC.

It also may have been an "answer" to Gears.

Hunted: The Demon Forge?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It really doesn't matter.

I guess I'd like some recommendations for really gritty yet incredibly satisfying third person shooters. Giblets and up close and personal combat. Also guns, I'd rather go for a machine gun with a chainsaw on it than a longsword, FLAME ON and bow.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 7, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Space Marine? Play Space Marine, it's pretty good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Condemned? Well, that isn't third person, but still.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm interested in games with robust crafting systems, but as a supplementary feature. That is, not a game like Minecraft or Starbound where crafting is the point.

More like Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas or Neverwinter Nights 2.

In particular, I'm interested in games that have good crafting systems that go beyond weapons or armor(but good weapons or armor crafting is good too). For instance, I really enjoyed cooking in Fallout: New Vegas and think it could have been awesome in Skyrim if better implemented.

Along the same lines, I'm interested in games where you can extensively customize your equipment. I'm guessing these will be mainly RPGs and 4x's. I don't care about cosmetic customization.

So more along the lines of Alpha Centauri or Master of Orion; less along the lines of Galactic Civilizations II.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

NeoSeeker posted:

List so far:
spec ops the line
wolfenstein
sniper elite 3

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Condemned? Well, that isn't third person, but still.

Yeah that would still count. I have played the crap out of it though, probably more than I've beaten the crap out of crazed squatting lunatics (in game of course...). It doesn't have the gore or anything like that, but if it isn't the most satisfying first person beat-em-up I dunno what is.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've been playing the hell out of strategy games and such, it's getting tiresome. Some grizzled in your face combat sounds like a good break. The first thing that came to mind was Gears (the good old glory days when the 360 just came out). If Wolfenstein has the RAGE engine I think I could skip Rage for WS.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 7, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Spacemarine is pretty much what you want it you want an updated Gears.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone know any good multiplayer trivia games? I came across Triviador a while back, but it has cash shop elements and it's annoying when someone snipes your tower and wins on the last turn.

I want to pretend I'm on a gameshow basically.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

archerb posted:

Anyone know any good multiplayer trivia games? I came across Triviador a while back, but it has cash shop elements and it's annoying when someone snipes your tower and wins on the last turn.

I want to pretend I'm on a gameshow basically.

You want You Don't Know Jack. Trust me on this.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/33692/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm looking for a good exploration game. Some examples of the feeling I'm chasing here:
- Dark Souls 1/2
- Skyrim
- Dragon's Dogma
- Gothic 2
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Ultima Underworld/ The Black Gate
- Arx Fatalis
- Far Cry 3 sortaaaa?

The Witcher and Bioware games are usually pretty cool but don't really have the same sense of boundless exploration. They feel much more episodic, typically. Not to say the above don't have actual limitations on where you can travel, but they do a better job of hiding the man behind the curtains, imo. I'm ok with euro jank.

edit: I loved Guild Wars 2! Maybe I should get into The Secret World

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MMOs or MMO-like games tend to be good for explorer-players. Guild Wars 2, for example.

Or wait for No Man's Sky.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005

Shab posted:

You want You Don't Know Jack. Trust me on this.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/33692/

Ha, I remember owning one of the original games on CD-ROM. I'm cheap as hell though so I might camp out for a sale.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm looking for a good exploration game. Some examples of the feeling I'm chasing here:

I dunno if this is still the stereotypical Games forum recommendation, but maybe STALKER? It has less RPG elements than most of your list, but there's definitely an exploration element to it.

Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric RPG that came out just recently. I haven't played it a ton but what I did seemed a lot more open than something like Dragon Age.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Emergency posted:

Space Marine? Play Space Marine, it's pretty good.

Space Marine *gets* Warhammer more than any other game. More than most of the writers even.

"Serve the Machine God today! volunteer at your nearest corpse disposal team"

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Also as far as third person Beat Em Ups are concerned Sleeping Dogs would be considered the best?
I can't play super hero games with the whole "I DON'T USE GUNS" bullshit. The batman games don't count, at least for me. They're still awesome in their own respect, but I'm not really a superhero game fan. My childhood was based around playing them till they became dead to me.

Spiderman for the PS2. Triple digits of playtime. Being able to play as the green goblin helps a lot.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 8, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

God Hand. :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

It really doesn't matter.

I guess I'd like some recommendations for really gritty yet incredibly satisfying third person shooters. Giblets and up close and personal combat. Also guns, I'd rather go for a machine gun with a chainsaw on it than a longsword, FLAME ON and bow.

The Punisher and Stranglehold, both on PC. The Punisher has these great executions where you shove someone in a woodchipper or chrome plate their head.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Punisher game is frigging awesome and doesn't get enough love.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The punisher game is very good, and I like how once you get good at it it becomes a challenge of stringing together the most ridiculous series of brutality without being hit even once.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good world-building strategy games like Civ V that aren't solely focused on combat/spamming units? One of the things I like about Civ is that you don't necessarily have to spam military units to win or be viable, but a lot of the games I see in that sort of genre seem to be pretty army-focused or not totally clear -- I've eyed Age of Wonders III and Age of Empires III but I don't really want to buy one of them without knowing.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I have to agree, The Punisher is pretty loving awesome. It gets old pretty quick though.

Hitman Absolution is another to add to the list as well. I got it for 5 bucks. It plays kinda similarly to the punisher if you go all van damme.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tendai posted:

Are there any good world-building strategy games like Civ V that aren't solely focused on combat/spamming units? One of the things I like about Civ is that you don't necessarily have to spam military units to win or be viable, but a lot of the games I see in that sort of genre seem to be pretty army-focused or not totally clear -- I've eyed Age of Wonders III and Age of Empires III but I don't really want to buy one of them without knowing.

Age of Wonders III definitely has a lot of combat although you can auto-resolve most of the minor engagements if you want (the auto resolve actually isn't a total loving cock for once). You could reasonably fight well less than half the total battles, but combat and unit production is a big part of the game no matter how you slice it. For what it counts I think it's a fantastic game over all.

Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find much in the 4x genre without much combat. The fact of the matter is that it's a necessary evil because it's how you balance human vs AI. The AI is basically never going to hold a candle to a decent human player so they have to be given bonuses to compete. The AI gets more stuff but uses poorly, the human gets lets stuff but uses it well, and this is usually expressed in combat. A good 4x without (much) combat would basically have to be a primarily multi-player title or feature revolutionary AI.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tendai posted:

Combat is the primary focus of both of those games, to a far more extent than Civ games.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't require NONE, but I like the balance that the Civ games struck between combat and other avenues of victory where I can play either way and it's still viable, rather than frantically spamming units to defend/attack in order to make progress (not to say that I haven't done that either, but I like the choice). I might check out Age of Wonders in that case, thanks!

MrBims posted:

Combat is the primary focus of both of those games, to a far more extent than Civ games.
Well poop. I just need something to play till After Earth comes out!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tendai posted:

I don't require NONE, but I like the balance that the Civ games struck between combat and other avenues of victory where I can play either way and it's still viable, rather than frantically spamming units to defend/attack in order to make progress (not to say that I haven't done that either, but I like the choice). I might check out Age of Wonders in that case, thanks!

I just realized I read your first post as "Are there any good world-building strategy games like Civ V but that aren't solely focused on combat/spamming units?" and now I feel silly.

In theory Endless Legend might fit the bill but I would hold off right now. It has a similar thing to Civ going where there are peaceful victory conditions and it's not intended to be a "blood and glory" strategy game. The problem is that it's fresh out of early access and reports of garbage AI and horrific balancing are rampant. I'd keep an eye on it but it doesn't seem like a well advised purchase until (if) major improvements are made.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool, thank you for the tip! I'll keep an eye on it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Chomp8645 posted:

I just realized I read your first post as "Are there any good world-building strategy games like Civ V but that aren't solely focused on combat/spamming units?" and now I feel silly.

In theory Endless Legend might fit the bill but I would hold off right now. It has a similar thing to Civ going where there are peaceful victory conditions and it's not intended to be a "blood and glory" strategy game. The problem is that it's fresh out of early access and reports of garbage AI and horrific balancing are rampant. I'd keep an eye on it but it doesn't seem like a well advised purchase until (if) major improvements are made.

The existing space 4x of the same series, Endless Space, is very good about alternative methods for winning.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really liked Alien Legacy when I was a kid. It focused on survival and exploration and combat was token at most. It also had a semi-realistic system model where you had to wait for the best window when he planets are close to save fuel.

It's very old though and suffers from that in that there's very few options when you design your colonies. I'd love for a modern take on the idea though, is there anything out there that looks like it?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cantorsdust posted:

The existing space 4x of the same series, Endless Space, is very good about alternative methods for winning.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Tendai posted:

There's GalCiv2 and going for a cultural victory. Here's a short LP of exactly that, essentially taking the "corporate franchise" route to victory and pretty much avoiding war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvn9887l_wo

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Distant Worlds is a good 4x for alternatives to conquest. Some races have victory conditions that consist of economic dominance, cultural achievements, and diplomatic stuff. Plus it has a private sector economy that can react to your decisions.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yar The Pirate posted:

Distant Worlds is a good 4x for alternatives to conquest. Some races have victory conditions that consist of economic dominance, cultural achievements, and diplomatic stuff. Plus it has a private sector economy that can react to your decisions.

It should be kept in mind whenever recommending Distant Worlds that it is a super, super deep game, even by 4x standards. It's the kind of game that you have to grapple with for hours just to have any idea what you're doing, kind of like a Paradox game.

This is not a rebuttal of the recommendation, just something that should be kept in mind.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a game where I can ball out of control very quickly, but still have fun decimating dudes with like cool powers and stuff. Summoning would be a cool thing, but really anything that lets me destroy poo poo.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

You're going to want to go with either Saint's Row IV if you want a more GTA style experience, or Prototype if you want a more supernatural experience.

Regarding Prototype, while I hate the second game (don't mind what I say, people still think it's good) you do have the power to summon beasts to fight for you. The second game is also much more accessible. But if you want a more deep experience go with the first prototype. Not to mention in the prototype series... you yourself are the thing being summoned.

Just watch some gameplay videos of Saints 4 and prototype 1+2 and see which all encompassing, weapon of mass destruction manifest in the player character, game is good for you.

\/ In comparison to the second game the first one is incredibly deep. I know that's sorta due to the whole kitchen sink mentality put into it, but the combat and everything else is much deeper. It's really hard to feel like a badass in the second game if you've played the first. The second is WAY too easy, so it doesn't call for much variation in combat. In the first game I found myself pulling out every stop quite often. In the second I was just sort of destroying everything in my path with much ease.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 10, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wouldn't call either Prototype a "deep" game, but the first one had vastly better controls, at least on PC.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Also an afterthought on the whole Dead Space debate. Next time you play through the first one (probably the second and definately the third), turn off the music. Seriously just turn off the music. It turns into straight up garish gorn the video game. Unless you're incredibly faint of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can ball out of control very quickly, but still have fun decimating dudes with like cool powers and stuff. Summoning would be a cool thing, but really anything that lets me destroy poo poo.

I found Shadow of Mordor to be very fun like this. If you're halfway decent and can click your buttons at the right times you are an unstoppable juggernaught of destruction.