Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

To cheer things up, theres always the fact that theres a new Pink Floyd album coming out, and a new song streaming!

http://www.guitarworld.com/new-pink-floyd-song-streaming-now-louder-words-listen

I'd have given my left nut to have seen pink floyd live in concert, Thats not gonna happen any more.

I went to see Waters when he did Dark Side at the Hollywood Bowl. I think it was about halfway through or so (Us and Them maybe) when Waters goes all "Ladies and Gentlemen... RICK WRIGHT!!!" He came out and played a song or two and it owned so hard. Few years later I paid way too much much money to see the big crazy Wall show Waters did, and then paid to see it again a year later when it came back through town. Worth every penny. If Gilmour ever floated his fat rear end across the pond I'd pay to see him too.

That new track is about what I expected. Looking more forward to the non-vocal tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

angryhampster posted:

I love my jackass dogs. They're adorable and one of them is criminally stupid.

I believe at least 1 has to be that way. We have a cocker spaniel that's as dumb as a bag of hammers.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Ferremit posted:

To cheer things up, theres always the fact that theres a new Pink Floyd album coming out, and a new song streaming!

http://www.guitarworld.com/new-pink-floyd-song-streaming-now-louder-words-listen

I'd have given my left nut to have seen pink floyd live in concert, Thats not gonna happen any more.

If you get the chance, go see Australian Pink Floyd. They're the next best thing. I saw them last week and it was incredible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't see myself being able to buy a house within the next 2 decades.

Me either.

but I don't own conventional houses.
I've technically already owned a home.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hell yes.

Wife bought me some zubaz pants.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Ok, its taken a week for something to get here from Henderson (Priority) - but I've already received spark plugs sent Parcel Select from New Jersey.. in three days.

I think the Priority 'days to delivery' is just randomized between 2 and 3 days. 2 days means 'more than one', and 3 means 'likely to get lost by then'.

CSB/Motty: Tahoe Hilton was advertising that you could win a new range rover. Thanks to some poor editing, it went directly into the anti-gambling tagline of "Know when to stop before you start." :newlol:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Galler posted:

Yeah the last page or so is pretty depressing.

My job is awesome, coworkers are awesome, and pay is good but trending towards awesome. I'm on track to be able to buy a nice house in about 8 months (with 20% down). Sooner if the state decides to do its first time home buyer thing again.

Also, no significant other or children so my life is pretty stress free and most of my income is disposable.

Once you buy a house income is no longer disposable! enjoy the next 8 months while you can!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Eh, I've been helping my parents with their house(s) for as long as I can remember. I know what I'm getting into.

If I somehow end up with a place like Ken I'm burning it to the ground and starting fresh, though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tomarse posted:

Once you buy a house income is no longer disposable! enjoy the next 8 months while you can!

The housing market in Seattle is loving insane. The prices are now higher than they were at the height of the bubble and you have to fight to actually get a house. Hell, we had to fight to get our rental house which we pay more than a mortgage would cost. Pretty much any house in NW Seattle is $400k and needs to be remodeled.

I was born and raised in this city and always just wanted to stay here, but more and more I am thinking I need gtfo. The traffic is stupid, cost of living is going insane and it's just not the same city anymore. It is a great city for my work, but pretty much any job I get I can work remotely. I think my buddy has the right idea, work for a tech startup based out of SF, but live in bellingham.

heres a dog since this thread is getting depressing

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maksimus54 posted:

My life is really super decent. Horrible stuff doesn't happen too often and I usually find a way to trudge through it. But to add to the depression here I bought a 98 Integra LS for my girlfriend and acted a fool when I went to inspect. Broke all the rules on how to buy a used car and am paying for it now. The point of the story is now the car is running ok, new tires have been purchased but the alignment is so bad I'm really worried something is damaged beyond a reasonable amount of repair and we are approaching our limit on how much more to put into this car. Tell me it will be ok AI

The upside is Integras are fun to drive in anger, and pretty easy to work on. They're essentially a Civic with a DOHC.

Also uh, the lower control arms are the first thing to bend when you nail a curb. Might wanna check those out.

keykey posted:

We have a cocker spaniel that's as dumb as a bag of hammers.

We have a collie that still can't figure out how to back up; he gets stuck in a corner and starts barking to get someone to help him if he can't turn around easily. He also refuses to actually poo poo/piss in the grass for some reason; the back patio is not something you want to walk on without shoes.

He's very sweet, but I'm guessing he got dropped on his head a few times before we got him.

Have a picture of him and my cat checking out... something. I want to say it was a squirrel, but I took this picture years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 10, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Trying to sell a house so I can move somewhere less depressing, had the viewer make a point of telling me they were "disappointed by the size of the rooms"

There were pictures on the advert and dimensions in metric and imperial, it's not like I put up 18" thick wallpaper to cheat them out of the space they so rightly deserve.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Galler posted:

Eh, I've been helping my parents with their house(s) for as long as I can remember. I know what I'm getting into.

If I somehow end up with a place like Ken I'm burning it to the ground and starting fresh, though.

If its like Ken's you wont realise its that bad until you have already got stuck in, then its like house based stockholm syndrome and you have to finish what you have started!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Trying to sell a house so I can move somewhere less depressing, had the viewer make a point of telling me they were "disappointed by the size of the rooms"

There were pictures on the advert and dimensions in metric and imperial, it's not like I put up 18" thick wallpaper to cheat them out of the space they so rightly deserve.

I'll just go ahead and make those rooms bigger for you because the customer is always right!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fingerling posted:

I'm pretty sure you and I work in the same industry. While not exactly hospitality, it's effectively the same 95% of the time, with the added benefit (in Australia, at least) of having a bullshit amount of screening to get, and ridiculous duties of care.

I'm 22, been doing it since I was 18 and am absolutely burned out. I feel 60, although that'a for different reasons.

This made me laugh. At 22 you have no clue what it's like to get old and have your body start failing on you. At 60 you're going to to think what you're going through now was a walk in the park.

If I could give any advice on getting old it's make drat sure you have good health insurance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fingerling posted:

I'm pretty sure you and I work in the same industry. While not exactly hospitality, it's effectively the same 95% of the time, with the added benefit (in Australia, at least) of having a bullshit amount of screening to get, and ridiculous duties of care.

I'm 22, been doing it since I was 18 and am absolutely burned out. I feel 60, although that'a for different reasons.

Nah, I'm in a better place now. Datacenter operations tech doing breakfix and running miles of cabling for mad ducats. I spent a decade in kitchens, and that was enough to wreck me financially and physically.

Also, holy poo poo Rockauto. They managed to beat Amazon Prime for shipping speed. :catstare:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 10, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Those of you on snapchat have already seen a million pictures of my dog, but here's one for the rest of you. He loves car rides and his tiny stuffed squeaky horse, and hates everything else, especially cuddling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm back from the war on ISIL, baby!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 10, 2014

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
AI: We're all in a bad way, but at least we have animals and cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I'm back from the war on ISIL, baby!

Did you win?

I've essentially shut out the outside world, so I have no drat idea what's going on any more.

Lots of things going on here. Making progress slowly with lots of bullshit setbacks and lots of hard work. I hate every moment of my life but there progress is being made.
At least the yard is approaching usable. New fence, gardens appearing, one car corpse gone so far etc.

Took a load of branches and other rubbish to the next town using the Niva and the car-slayer 7x5 trailer. It made it there and back. The radiator seems to be really badly clogged though. loving damnit. I found a bottle of radiator flush in the shed. I might see if that improves things a bit for now.

Weather's warming up here. I'm sunburned as hell and loving it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Don't have a quick disconnect tool, and can't find a drat pen with a cap large/long enough to ghettorig one. Bah.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Feel kind of bad for talking poo poo about the mechanic yesterday.

We (the buyer and I) were having the Studebaker inspected, and when we showed up and dropped off the car we got maybe a total of 5 words from the mechanic, who seemed ridiculously stand-offish and terse. Like, we walk in, he stands there staring silently at us as he raises a car on the lift and starts doing stuff until we call out to him. Tell him we want a pre-purchase inspection, can he check out such-and-such, etc., he says "Ok. It'll be half an hour, maybe an hour." No further information seems forthcoming, he doesn't want anything from us, we leave to get a drink.

When the buyer had called the day before to set up an appointment, it had been the same thing: "I should be in by 1. Yeah, I guess I can take your name down. Bye"

At the bar, we talk poo poo to each other and to the bartender about how this guy obviously doesn't want customers, etc.

Well then we get back and suddenly he's giving us this great rundown of what's up, pointing out rust spots under the car, showing how the rear end was from a Chevy and had been modified here and here, etc. Really friendly from then on. I was rather surprised to hear him say, "If I had this car, I'd drive it to Vegas", quite honestly I didn't have that much faith in it myself.

It's just him, running the shop out of the service garage of a defunct dealership; made me think of DrPain's shop in that it's a small independent place that seems to operate largely on word of mouth--there's not even a sign out front. Despite the initial weird experience I'm thinking about taking in the Crown Vic if I can't sort the idle problem myself.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Random bit of music chat, but I think this may be my favorite live DVD ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOU8iPqo35w

It's pretty much an hour long zombie movie / concert session and the entire plot is about them being self indulgent and making a concert DVD during an actual zombie apocalypse. I kinda wish more musical groups would go completely absurd with their live concert films :v:

Also, it helps that the performance itself is pretty awesome.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ugh...Little Caesar's Pretzel Pizza is nothing but regret.

Imagine a regular pepperoni pizza with Cheese-Whiz mixed with tomato paste sauce, butter on the crust, and kosher salt sprinkled on it.

:barf:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Imagine a regular pepperoni pizza with Cheese-Whiz mixed with tomato paste sauce, butter on the crust, and kosher salt sprinkled on it.

Now I have nothing left to look forward to. Thanks!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Goober Peas posted:

I bet that poo poo tastes incredible when you are hammered.

I lived off of dumpster-found Little Caesar's for a month in college though, so maybe I'm biased.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Its now been ruined for me. My only reason for living....

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't see myself being able to buy a house within the next 2 decades.

It's a fun club to be in

e: i dont see myself doing anything even close to productive in that time so :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Happy pooping!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is it wrong for me to not give the slightest fraction of a poo poo about owning a house? I couldn't even afford a near-condemned Groverhaus of course, but I just don't care. Of course things like marriage, a """real""" career, etc are filed under "things other people experience" as well, so gently caress it. I'm making great progress on my Steam backlog and I get to work with dangerous chemicals/million dollar tools in a cleanroom, good enough.

On the topic of pizza, I've eaten undercooked frozen pizzas that tasted better than Little Caesar's (Presented By Amsoil) :barf:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Negromancer posted:

The housing market in Seattle is loving insane. The prices are now higher than they were at the height of the bubble and you have to fight to actually get a house. Hell, we had to fight to get our rental house which we pay more than a mortgage would cost. Pretty much any house in NW Seattle is $400k and needs to be remodeled.

I was born and raised in this city and always just wanted to stay here, but more and more I am thinking I need gtfo. The traffic is stupid, cost of living is going insane and it's just not the same city anymore. It is a great city for my work, but pretty much any job I get I can work remotely. I think my buddy has the right idea, work for a tech startup based out of SF, but live in bellingham.

That's a pretty small part of Seattle to limit yourself too. And yeah, traffic up there is rear end, that's why the west side is the best side :) :). PS there are plenty of cute sub 300k houses around here ;)

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Is it wrong for me to not give the slightest fraction of a poo poo about owning a house? I couldn't even afford a near-condemned Groverhaus of course, but I just don't care. Of course things like marriage, a """real""" career, etc are filed under "things other people experience" as well, so gently caress it.

Of course not. It's like having kids... I always tell friends that are thinking about it, that if you don't think you want kids DON'T have kids, but if you do it's rad. Same with houses, if you want one and understand the pros & cons it can be great. Now if I can just add on in such a way to improve my view :)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Definitely agree about the kids thing too, I get the best looks when my response to "I can't wait to have kids!" is asking why (with a bit more tact than that of course). I don't go around complaining about 'breeders and crotchspawn' (I love being an uncle) but if you have the chance, wouldn't you put a bit more thought into the decision?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I thought I was feeling better. For less than a day.

I'd like to offer a hearty :fuckoff: to whatever the gently caress I have. Except I'm too weak.

The upside: I haven't poo poo myself today. Yet.
The downside: 103 fever :stonk: and hallucinations that are on par with large doses of LSD (this is coming from someone who's ingested enough LSD for entire countries).

Gonna do the ER bit. Have a friend on the way to drive me, no way in hell can I navigate even a parking lot right now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^gently caress's sake man, get rest and drink copious amounts of water.

The full list of "things I care about having a house for" begins and ends with "a garage". If I didn't care about working on my own poo poo (or had the money to toss it to the shop and say "fix it" and drive a rental for a week) nothing about homeownership would appeal to me at all.

And my "old new money" mom is still gently pushing me toward real estate as an "investment". Like she wants to spend $100k we don't have (with me cosigning on the loan of course) to buy this shitbox little house near here whose only redeeming feature is being next to a Sunrail station that A) saves no time vs driving to my current school, and B) doesn't run anywhere near UCF where I'll be doing my bachelor's starting next fall. But "IT BUILDS EQUITY AND NET WORTH!"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

I'd like to offer a hearty :fuckoff: to whatever the gently caress I have. Except I'm too weak.

The downside: 103 fever :stonk: and hallucinations that are on par with large doses of LSD (this is coming from someone who's ingested enough LSD for entire countries).

Gonna do the ER bit. Have a friend on the way to drive me, no way in hell can I navigate even a parking lot right now.

drat man, hope you get well soon, 10 days is a long time to be that sick.

Also, welcome back, CommieGIR!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Did you deliver to that apartment complex on the news or something?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I had Souvlaki pizza last night. It was delicious.

I also like owning a house because I can hang what I want where I want, rearrange things, plant things, work on cars, and most importantly I will never ever again get told "Sorry the owner sold the house. You have a couple of weeks to get your stuff out". It might be a weird old small crooked house but it's paid for.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

drat man, hope you get well soon, 10 days is a long time to be that sick.

Holy poo poo it's been 10 days?

gently caress.

But yeah. Should have gotten medical attention a lot sooner. I loving hate going to the doctor in general, I'm THAT GUY that only goes moments before dying.

Still waiting on my friend to get here. I think the only time I've had chills like this is when I had the flu...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 11, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
103 is dangerously high, especially considering household thermometers tend to read either 2 degrees high or low, and that's a dangerous bet to make with your health. I know you said you already are, but if in your fever-dream state you pick up your phone and hit Something.apk and somehow navigate to this thread through a semi-lucid haze, and haven't gone yet, go to the hospital.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah. I know this.

I'm waiting for a friend to show up to drive me to the hospital.

edit: just talked to him. he's a few minutes away.

edit 2: friend showed up. on my way to annoy an ER staff.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah. I know this.

I'm waiting for a friend to show up to drive me to the hospital.

edit: just talked to him. he's a few minutes away.

edit 2: friend showed up. on my way to annoy an ER staff.

Make sure this 'friend' is not just another fever hallucination.

• Locked thread