Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, update slightly delayed because one of my rear end in a top hat neighbors seems to have broken my front windshield. Dunno which one, but I get to talk to my insurance company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So the fact that House Steiner was taken out of the fight so early is kind of a big deal if they were that good at making mech variants, huh?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I'm betting someone's mad because they're not playing this session. :tinfoil:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

So the fact that House Steiner was taken out of the fight so early is kind of a big deal if they were that good at making mech variants, huh?

They're not out of the fight yet. Believe dat.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, update slightly delayed because one of my rear end in a top hat neighbors seems to have broken my front windshield. Dunno which one, but I get to talk to my insurance company.

I had that happen a while back, because I had the gall to confront my neighbor about being in my yard all the time. Have fun, at least windshield replacement is quick.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tell us where you live and we can live out the spirit of this mission while making sure you never have that problem again.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Man, I wasn't sure what Combat Theater to vote for when you first announced the choices as none really stood out or interested me all that much, so I left the thread alone for a while (birthday stuff and preparing for New York Comic Con this weekend helped) to see what developed. By the time you were teasing those pirate mechs, the vote had already undoubtedly swung that way, and I never got around to adding to that :bandwagon:.

But now that everything's ready and I'm seeing the player/OpFor/possible reserve mechs plus all their special rules/objectives in their entirety, and I couldn't be more excited for what a trainwreck this match is going to be. And in a good way too, especially with all the crappy pilots around, their kludged together mechs with "interesting" design choices, pirate neutrals that are undoubtedly going to be running around trying to shoot at both sides and likely just getting in the way, and the wrestling motif you've got going on. Really hope either Hulk Atlas, Mr. Steiner, or the Piledriver come into play. The two Crabs smushed together into a King Crab, the Bobcat driven by Johnny Five-Aces, the Gladiator full of spikes, the Macho Man Randy Savage Charger, the Catapult full of SRMs, the Blackjack full of machine guns in each arm, the vibroblade mech, everything in this is so perfect. Great work with the sprites too, PTN and Scintilla.

And all those mech and pirate names are great too. The map looks like everything is going to come crashing down everywhere, except when the Charger jumps on top of a building to pull off all those possible wrestling moves, which is just perfect. Wonder how much of this shanty town is going to be left standing after the fight, and how many pirates will wind up being crushed to death or blown up. Oh well, who cares, they're just pirates anyway...

Really wish I was in on this one, but I figure I gave this thread enough amusement during the Hogarth scenario. The pilots here will really have one hell of an entertaining time, from the looks of things, and we'll all likely be really amused as well. The scenario demands it!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Who is redjack Ryan? He seems like a cool dude?

And what the hell is he doing on Tortuga? (Also someone give me a rundown on the Fusileers and deaths consorts please!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Affi posted:

And what the hell is he doing on Tortuga? (Also someone give me a rundown on the Fusileers and deaths consorts please!

Death's Consort's are the remnants of a pirate band that recently lost their leader and ruler of a bandit kingdom of half a dozen worlds. The Fusileers were the number 2 pack of pirates in the area til the Consorts fell apart. They both have storied histories that may or may not all apply in this setting, especially since the Consorts are about 30 years before their time.

Redjack Ryan is the pirate king of Butte Hold, here to muscle his way into the new power vacuum.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 10, 2014

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You still have to go in and turn the PMs on in order for this to help! :allears:

:cripes: Is this why I never got added the pilot list? Fixed that, finally.

dis astranagant posted:

Redjack Ryan is the pirate king of Butte Hold, here to muscle his way into the new power vacuum.

And on top of everything else, this mission will be full of unintentional(?) gay sex jokes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I just realized, it was two years, almost to the hour, from signup to getting my turn.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

I just realized, it was two years, almost to the hour, from signup to getting my turn.

I'm sure round 2 will be less of a delay, however PTN handles round 2. Which might happen in six months.

(hahaha just kidding it'll be 3 years)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Affi posted:

Redjack Ryan was a major pirate lord of the "northern" Periphery until the Clans came and pretty much exterminated those pirate kingdoms wholesale. IIRC, in canon they outright killed him and his daughter took over the remnants of Ryans Rebels to become a huge annoyance to the Clanners over the following decades. Here he seems to have bailed in time, cirumvented the entire IS and has now turned up on Tortuga in time to take over the place after Lady Death got herself killed stomping on Hanse Davions front lawn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

cirumvented the entire IS

Nah, just crossed. It's amazing what you can get away with when you tell everyone you meet that you're just a ship full of refugees fleeing the Clans.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, just crossed. It's amazing what you can get away with when you tell everyone you meet that you're just a ship full of refugees fleeing the Clans.

Balls like a pair of Union dropships, that man.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
He even got some free "food" out of it! :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If I can connect the fluff pieces we've seen correctly, it looks like when the Pirates first came up for a vote, Jag Cordeaux was attempting to lead the Fusileers in a coup against the Consorts. From where things stand now, he wasn't successful, but also managed not to get himself or all the Fusileers killed in the process. Having failed to seize power, he's defected to Redjack Ryan in the hopes of at least being able to earn a position under a pirate lord who promotes men and is more ambitious than the Fusileers. It also looks like their failed rising has placed the Fusileers more tightly under Consort control, given that they're fighting alongside them now.

I wonder how big a stake the Fusileers have in this, though. Given that they're serving the Consorts at least partially through force, I question just how willing they would be to keep on fighting if the battle is badly is going badly and the Consorts have been wiped out.

...or maybe this scenario has enough going already, but I couldn't help noticing that PTN was very careful to distinguish between Consorts and Fusileers in the opfor.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
After taking a closer look at the mechs the players get I'm in love with that assassin. Long jump jet range, tons of small lasers, and fragile body - perfect to find an exposed mech and take out their rear armor in a round. Fun times, and fairly easy for a new player to pick up since you're likely going to be jumping every turn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Voyager I posted:

If I can connect the fluff pieces we've seen correctly, it looks like when the Pirates first came up for a vote, Jag Cordeaux was attempting to lead the Fusileers in a coup against the Consorts. From where things stand now, he wasn't successful, but also managed not to get himself or all the Fusileers killed in the process. Having failed to seize power, he's defected to Redjack Ryan in the hopes of at least being able to earn a position under a pirate lord who promotes men and is more ambitious than the Fusileers. It also looks like their failed rising has placed the Fusileers more tightly under Consort control, given that they're fighting alongside them now.

I wonder how big a stake the Fusileers have in this, though. Given that they're serving the Consorts at least partially through force, I question just how willing they would be to keep on fighting if the battle is badly is going badly and the Consorts have been wiped out.

...or maybe this scenario has enough going already, but I couldn't help noticing that PTN was very careful to distinguish between Consorts and Fusileers in the opfor.

Hmm. Wasn't there an update a while ago about the pirates of butte hold? (Best planet name)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Baudin posted:

After taking a closer look at the mechs the players get I'm in love with that assassin. Long jump jet range, tons of small lasers, and fragile body - perfect to find an exposed mech and take out their rear armor in a round. Fun times, and fairly easy for a new player to pick up since you're likely going to be jumping every turn.

I like the Chameleon myself. I just gave it a regular big sword but PTN tweaked it into a Vibrocutlass which makes it ten times more :black101:. The Catapult is a thing of beauty too - team it up with the JagerBomb and watch the crits fly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's one player machine that stands out as having a clear disadvantage on a map this cluttered.

So I tweaked the Hunchback to make it better suited to the mission.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, well, that certainly encourages the spreading it around for crit-seeking.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Apollo FCS, huh? Neat. Makes me wonder just who these piratical pillagers have been raiding, to get all that sweet tech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Apollo FCS, huh? Neat. Makes me wonder just who these piratical pillagers have been raiding, to get all that sweet tech.

Everyone.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what is an Apollo mrm?

Also.. Some of these "secondary objectives" are kind of hard to pull off or keep doing. Are there benefits to fulfilling the hunchies ADHD targeting? Will the pilot get +1 gunnery if he keeps doing it? Will the wrestling moves have benefits beyond being cool? Say Randy can't be targeted while performing a wrestling move for example..

What I'm saying is where are the incentives? :)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Scintilla posted:

I like the Chameleon myself. I just gave it a regular big sword but PTN tweaked it into a Vibrocutlass which makes it ten times more :black101:. The Catapult is a thing of beauty too - team it up with the JagerBomb and watch the crits fly.

I agree - both mechs are things of beauty. If anything the catapult might be even more newbie friendly although the arms are very lightly armored which could cause problems against some of those enemy mechs. It's too bad the Chameleon can't have a snub nose PPC in the other arm to make it more piratical (I believe we're not nearly there yet, time-line wise).

This map looks like it should be a lot of fun for goon lance, and in a lot of ways is the antithesis of the last map - chaos, disorganized enemies, and hilariously bad tech with nearly as bad pilots instead of a training simulation with advanced tech, coherently lead and professional enemies and a watcher judging goonlance for every mistake :getin:

Affi posted:

MRM-40's have a penalty on their attacks, the Apollo system negates that penalty, and that mech should be able to pour out the hurt onto anything in it's way, especially if a certain other AC20 wielding mech opens holes first.

Affi posted:

Also.. Some of these "secondary objectives" are kind of hard to pull off or keep doing. Are there benefits to fulfilling the hunchies ADHD targeting? Will the pilot get +1 gunnery if he keeps doing it? Will the wrestling moves have benefits beyond being cool? Say Randy can't be targeted while performing a wrestling move for example..

Being really cool? I suspect players that achieve their secondary objectives get bonuses in the fluff for their characters and have a better chance of being MVP's for the round.

e: the "benefits" of editing instead of making a new post.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 10, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Affi posted:

The Apollo FCS is an add-on to the Medium Range Missile that removes the +1 To-Hit modifier inherent to the MRM, but adds a -1 to Hit Cluster Table. In the OTL, it was invented in 3071.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Apollo is a special guidance system for MRM launchers. It negates the usual +1 to hit penalty for such weapons in exchange for imposing a -1 penalty on the roll that determines how many of the missiles actually hit. Basically you're more likely to hit, but less individual missiles will strike the target.

Edit: Beaten like the Death's Consorts are about to be.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

"I got to do or try to do something neat in my mission!"

They are bonus objectives because they can be completely ignored, they are there to try to show the personality of the pilot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Affi posted:

Do them because PTN will write really cool fluff about it and it's fun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Less objectives, more role-playing guidelines.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

goatface posted:

Less objectives, more role-playing guidelines.

'Guidelines' in a Pirate mission? Do we get free shots at anyone asking for Parley?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Affi posted:

Not being boring. Seriously though, this whole glorious clusterfuck is about two groups of pirates fighting it out over who gets to be big cheese on pirate trophy world one. Playing purely for the "win" would completely miss the fun of it. If everyone is out to pull off their own ridiculous goals we're going to get something chaotic and wildly entertaining.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're similar to the normal scenario objectives we've had for every scenario. There is no incentive for winning your scenario in this LP - but whether you do or not affects the story. Presumably whether your individual mechwarrior achieves his or her personal objectives also affects the story in some way.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Personally, aside from the obvious, I just can't but love the Withworth with 300 one-shot rocket tubes.

AJ_Impy posted:

Balls like a pair of Union dropships, that man.

Suprising discipline for a pirate, more like. Must have been one hell of a job to keep his guys from venturing out on a "milk run" that'd end with a pissed-off Davion RCT chasing them all the way to Tortuga.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Magni posted:

Personally, aside from the obvious, I just can't but love the Withworth with 300 one-shot rocket tubes.

4 of them actually in the chest, the rest hastily duct-taped to the outside.

Poor thing's too fat to wiggle its arms.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Magni posted:

Suprising discipline for a pirate, more like. Must have been one hell of a job to keep his guys from venturing out on a "milk run" that'd end with a pissed-off Davion RCT chasing them all the way to Tortuga.

How do we know there isn't?

King of the Pirates, Round 2: all surviving pirate frankenmechs + the city population against a company of stuffy vanilla Davion straightmen (or maybe just more Shadow Hawk 2Ds).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I remember the MRM being a ridiculous murder box if you could keep your aim steady. In table top it must be even nastier.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chronojam posted:

I remember the MRM being a ridiculous murder box if you could keep your aim steady. In table top it must be even nastier.

The tabletop version is designed for use with C3. Note how lopsided its range profile is. It's going to be hard to get good hits but when they happen it'll be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The tabletop version is designed for use with C3. Note how lopsided its range profile is. It's going to be hard to get good hits but when they happen it'll be hilarious.

This. Plus, without Apollo, they have a +1 penalty to hit, since they're dumbfire. Much like Rocket Launchers. They're also fairly heavy and heat-intensive. And of course, the cluster roll might net you only 16 hits out of 40. And while that's still nice, it's all 5 point clusters so it's not much better than you could get with an LRM 20 with Artemis. And as said, the range brackets are quite lopsided, with short being only 1-3 hexes, this compounds badly with the to-hit penalty.

I still love them though because missile spam.

• Locked thread