Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I've been noticing that every time my dwarves or dogs or whatever kill something the corpse is automatically forbidden. Is this a DFHack thing? How do I stop this from happening?

Code gremlins like flipping poo poo in the Orders menu. Check the refuse settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I've been noticing that every time my dwarves or dogs or whatever kill something the corpse is automatically forbidden. Is this a DFHack thing? How do I stop this from happening?

You fix this by reading the last page, because this was just asked.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gibbo posted:

You fix this by reading the last page, because this was just asked.

My Orders are set correctly. This is happening even inside the fortress.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think stuff that is killed in real honest-to-goodness combat is automatically forbidden so you don't have idiot civilians running into combat for a sock. I may be mis-remembering, though, I haven't really played in a long time.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's either Claim Your Dead or Claim Other Dead.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I haven't played in a while, and I've kind of got that itch again, but the memory of ungodly complicated medical and military setup just for very basic functions is giving me pause. That's not any better now, is it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Medical setup? A chief MD, a dude with labors and a zone with a few beds. Military? Well, four dudes with training axes and leather jacks sparring around a weapon rack isn't that daunting of a task.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Mm. I take it that it hasn't really changed recently, then.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I change the embark cursor color? I'm slightly red-green colorblind, and when I'm using the site finder it shows the sites with green X's, the embark X cursor is a vague greenish orange and I cannot tell them apart at all.

If I could just change the embark X cursor to a bright red or something, I could actually see it.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 9, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ambaire posted:

How do I change the embark cursor color? I'm slightly red-green colorblind, and when I'm using the site finder it shows the sites with green X's, the embark X cursor is a vague greenish orange and I cannot tell them apart at all.

If I could just change the embark X cursor to a bright red or something, I could actually see it.

I think you can set the global colors to be different, so you didn't have any that were just red/green distinguished. I don't recall the syntax, though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

Medical setup? A chief MD, a dude with labors and a zone with a few beds. Military? Well, four dudes with training axes and leather jacks sparring around a weapon rack isn't that daunting of a task.

There's no reason to use training weapons unless you have absolutely zero metal weapons and nothing to make them with. And dwarves can't hurt each other with their weapons with sparring each other anymore.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ambaire posted:

This is for the last version, but I don't think it's changed at all: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Color_scheme
there are a bunch of palettes defined at the bottom of the page, including a couple of colorblind versions

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

There's no reason to use training weapons unless you have absolutely zero metal weapons and nothing to make them with. And dwarves can't hurt each other with their weapons with sparring each other anymore.

It takes time to find (non-copper) ore, set up forge facilities, secure some fuel and get the smithing going. Wooden bats let you get started right from the get-go.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Mm. I take it that it hasn't really changed recently, then.

Setting up your military is still a bit of a pain, true. Now training actually works though, so if you set it up properly they'll actually get good at fighting quite fast (especially with a good trainer I think). No need to use danger rooms and other exploits to get soldiers to actually train anymore.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Apoffys posted:

Setting up your military is still a bit of a pain, true. Now training actually works though, so if you set it up properly they'll actually get good at fighting quite fast (especially with a good trainer I think). No need to use danger rooms and other exploits to get soldiers to actually train anymore.

The new LP Fogwall had an expert swordsman/fighter/etc. migrate in and he's done wonders for our military preparedness.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Apoffys posted:

You are neglecting the importance of danger rooms so as to give your doctors a means to sharpen their medical skills. You don't want them to be rusty when you actually need them most.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Suicide Sam E. posted:

You are neglecting the importance of danger rooms so as to give your doctors a means to sharpen their medical skills. You don't want them to be rusty when you actually need them most.

Surround the central staircase on several floors with wooden upright spikes connected to levers, flipped constantly. Why bother with just a single room?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Surround the central staircase on several floors with wooden upright spikes connected to levers, flipped constantly. Why bother with just a single room?

If you can't make it to the dining hall without getting a bruise you don't deserve to eat.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The only thing more fun than making a wildly, unreasonably succesful fort based on stupid decisions is trying to tear it down. Keyword trying.

I mean, I could just abandon the fort. I could just forbid all the food and drink. I could just dig a couple more levels down into the HFS and let demons take the fort instead.

But all of that lacks the panache of setting up a unique little spot of hell in an otherwise happy, elf-infested glade. My halls are filled with rotting corpses. Vampires stalk the remaining populace. Clouds of dark miasma obscure what once were hospitals, and unhappy ghosts roam freely through the abandoned dining rooms and sleeping quarters. I'm actually starting to wonder if forts can have their own values for alignment, because my remaining legendary military dwarves (now returned to the civilian population) are completely unphased by anything; the miasma is causing little discontent, no one complains much about the ghosts...hell, there's a loving CAVE DRAGON that's decided to roost in one of the abandoned hospital rooms, open to the main hall, contentedly claiming it as its own little charnel house, and dwarves happily saunter right by it on errands without fuss.

So now I have an evil fortress AND I reclaimed about 30 FPS! Now if only I could assign dwarves necromancy jobs.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I've spent the last couple of days generating worlds in the background, trying to find the perfect site for my military outpost. Flux, iron, all civs, and a Tower nearby.

It's finally time. My dwarves have stopped in a snowed under forest, just north of a frozen stream.

First step, clearcut some trees and build a palisade - I don't like the look of that Sasquatch.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I find to be unbearable. I guess it's nice that they train now.

I'm enough of a glutton for punishment that I reinstalled anyway, with the masterwork pack. But my stockpiles don't seem to be working right. Nobody's taking wood in from outside, and they haven't brought any more bins down to the foundry stockpiles despite having a max bins of several hundred and having spare bins in the furniture stockpile. :|

edit: Hah. My fault on both. I was reserving bins, and I had accidentally turned off 'gather wood.'

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong? My minecart set up is a spiral running from the top area of my fort to the bottom. However it will not connect the two stops. This gives you an idea of what I'm going for, I'm sure i'm missing something really stupid here...

1st floor

2nd floor down...

3rd floor (and so on)

I think you can see what I'm attempting here... Thoughts? It's baffling me. I have other minecarts working on the same level but I seem to fail at multi level ramp minecarting. At one end (the bottom) my dwarfs seem to just fill the minecart over and over pointlessly.

Faithless fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Faithless posted:

Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong? My minecart set up is a spiral running from the top area of my fort to the bottom. However it will not connect the two stops. This gives you an idea of what I'm going for, I'm sure i'm missing something really stupid here...

1st floor

2nd floor down...

3rd floor (and so on)

I think you can see what I'm attempting here... Thoughts? It's baffling me. I have other minecarts working on the same level but I seem to fail at multi level ramp minecarting. At one end (the bottom) my dwarfs seem to just fill the minecart over and over pointlessly.

Did you build track ramps on the slopes? They are a construction and have to be built rather than carved.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

Did you build track ramps on the slopes? They are a construction and have to be built rather than carved.

The tracks are carved but the ramps are ramp/track constructions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you have a corner ramp? Or do they have to be straight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are you sure you can make minecarts turn on ramps?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The example on the wiki seems relevant:

quote:

Carving track corners into ramps is rather unintuitive and complicated. Since engraving tracks always requires two tiles to connect in a straight line as input, you have to give two separate designations for a single job: a track bit from the ramp tile to the "below" direction and another one to the wall of the "upward" direction.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Hate to drop stupid questions in here but I can't find an answer. Currently in a fortress and it's Winter of year two, yet to have gotten a single immigrant ever. I've exported things twice to the Dwarven caravan - not a lot, but enough. The wiki says that there's a 'hardcoded' wave early in year two, but I didn't get a thing. Did something change in 2014, or is this a bug? Never gone this long with no immigrants in the older versions.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There used to be two guaranteed waves of immigrants, but that was removed in the 2014-version (so all immigration is handled the same). Usually if you aren't getting immigrants, it means that goblins have conquered your civilization and there aren't any other forts that might send immigrants your way. If that was the case though, you shouldn't be getting dwarven caravans either, so I dunno. I can't think of a reason you'd get dwarven caravans but no dwarven migrants.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

Are you sure you can make minecarts turn on ramps?

They can.

Mygna posted:

That helped me out when I had the same problem; however I don't know how you would build designate a turn ramp though.

Just to make sure, are all the ramps the right ones? If I'm doing a multi level turning thing like that I usually get the direction wrong on a ramp somewhere and it mucks it all up. Like I'll build a NW instead of a NE somewhere.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

migrant problems

Have you, at any point, transferred a save or init file settings to a newer version? At one point, Toady added a new line to the init file giving a hard population cap. For a while, if that line was missing (maybe because you copied an init file over wholesale), the hard cap was assumed to be zero, preventing all immigration. I'm pretty sure that this was fixed to assume a higher value than 0 somewhere along the line, but it's one more thing to look in to.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ARE YOU loving STOKED FOR SOME TOAD NEWS

Toady One posted:

So far we've got plant gathering zones that renew gathering jobs, all gathering jobs now pick up usable item spatter on the ground in a 3x3 square, and gather jobs first process growths from a shrub and then only pick the shrub if the shrub itself is usable. Since there are a variety of growths that can be grabbed at one time, I'm also experimenting with multi-item hauls, though that hasn't moved beyond the gather job yet. There'll probably need to be an upgrade to zones at some point that allow them to handle z-coords and cover more space, but that's a little out of scope for this time. Next I'd like to allow dwarves to pick growths from trees, which of course will require some kind of stepladder or other tool if the fruit is a z-level above the ground.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

!

Those all sound like huge changes to agriculture.

I wonder if this might include beekeeping, if a hive counts as a gatherable.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

That's pretty fuckin' awesome, if you live on the surface like some kind of goddamn hippie :colbert:

But seriously, that's really sweet.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

oh my god my lil dwarves will use little footstools to harvest from my orchard :3:

edit : oh god, harvesting staring eyeballs :iit:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 11, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

edit : oh god, harvesting staring eyeballs :iit:

Oh poo poo i didnt even think about that

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

How many dollars do you want to bet that the "3x3" behavior will reinstate the deconstruction teleportation bug for like the fourth time?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
"Hey Urist where can I put this basket full of eyeballs I just plucked off a goddamned tree like some kind of maniac?" "JESUS CHRIST YOU CAN PUT THEM RIGHT THE gently caress OUTSIDE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU"

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

scamtank posted:

quote:

I'm also experimenting with multi-item hauls

Why yes, I am stoked. I am very stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Mygna posted:

So I need to pull the ramps back a square to give the track a straight line rather than having the ramp also be the bend?