Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Anybody figured out a good way to beat Darunia's level 3 mission? There's so much to look after on that stage and by the time I'm done capturing most of the required keeps, there's usually a whole heap of moblins storming my base and I just don't have the spare time to go beat them up but they wipe my base out before I can beat Link. Plus you have to babysit your commanders since I don't think any (or maybe just Midna) can retreat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just wish there was a "Weapon Drops DOWN" potion because there's nothing more infuriating than trying for Argorok Embers only to walk away to two lovely tier-2 weapons instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

No seriously, Lana is about as interesting as a field of grass. Doesn't help that her voice is super annoying and she keeps striking those stupid poses. She has like the least personality in the game, which is something when you are in the same game as Link of all people.

Lana is basically a Kingdom Hearts character that wandered into the wrong game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lana is basically a Kingdom Hearts character that wandered into the wrong game.

Every time I play Lana it is a struggle to find something I like about her.

:ohdear:"Oh, well this cube of lightning I can ride around on is pretty fun..."
:anime:"HA HEE HA HEE SOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEEEE!"

:ohdear:"Okay, let's try the special attack"
:anime:"HA HEE SORREE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE *anime pose*"

:smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Lana. She's a lot of fun to play (two of her weapons anyway) and all of her Summoning Gate animations make me laugh. Especially the victory animation is amazing.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Lana is a fun character.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

linkxlana is my otp

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

LordHippoman posted:

Every time I play Lana it is a struggle to find something I like about her.

:ohdear:"Oh, well this cube of lightning I can ride around on is pretty fun..."
:anime:"HA HEE HA HEE SOOOORRRRRRRRREEEEEEEE!"

:ohdear:"Okay, let's try the special attack"
:anime:"HA HEE SORREE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE *anime pose*"

:smith:

You forgot "SEI NO!"

Also Lana's book makes her a Lightning+Parkour master. If you don't like kickflipping off of walls to shoot lightning and make the walls explode then I don't know what to say to you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ruto's level 3 scale mission is so terrible, I want to die.

e: Finished it. I took the thread subtitle to heart: do not pursue Cucco, and you won't take a ton of unnecessary damage.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 10, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite Lana attack is the one just before the cube ride, where you make the three walls of light and slide them across the room and then make them explode.

It is also my least favorite Lana attack, when she is using it against me when I am trying to harvest her skull to make more badges.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there some magical way to convince Sheik not to commit suicide on the Lake Hylia gold skulltula mission? I have a checkpoint before King Dodongo shows up, but no matter how many bases I own or how many enemies I clear out, Shiek finds some way to get clobbered by minions/Zelda. Even if I leave the dodongo fight to heal her, she ends up getting killed before I can finish the boss off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

My favorite Lana attack is the one just before the cube ride, where you make the three walls of light and slide them across the room and then make them explode.

It is also my least favorite Lana attack, when she is using it against me when I am trying to harvest her skull to make more badges.

Dodge-cancel out of it midway through and the walls just sit there so you can strong-attack kaboom all three of them at once.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxyclean posted:

Is there some magical way to convince Sheik not to commit suicide on the Lake Hylia gold skulltula mission? I have a checkpoint before King Dodongo shows up, but no matter how many bases I own or how many enemies I clear out, Shiek finds some way to get clobbered by minions/Zelda. Even if I leave the dodongo fight to heal her, she ends up getting killed before I can finish the boss off.

You're thinking about it wrong. Absolutely do not clear anything out. Rush the objectives and leave as much in her path as you can. Drain the lake, then go right to the floodgate keeps and hit both of those fast, free Ruto, activate Dodongo, and start booking it out of the temple. If you can pick up a Magic MAX along the way so much the better. After that all that remains is crushing King Dodongo as fast as you can.

Sheik has a morale penalty for this mission so you want her spending as much time distracted by trash as you can, so she doesn't stumble on Zelda and get murdered. If she still dies, clear out the enemies with health bars along her path and hope she gets distracted by the mooks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does morale actually do anything when you're actually fighting NPCs, or does it only matter for when they're moving around off screen?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RyokoTK posted:

Does morale actually do anything when you're actually fighting NPCs, or does it only matter for when they're moving around off screen?

Enemies with morale bonuses will hit you harder, and commanders (enemies with HP bars) with morale bonuses both hit harder and don't stagger (consequentially, this means that they don't block either, they just attack straight through your hits).

The inverse is true for morale penalties. Hit like wet paper, stagger as soon as looked at.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Bicyclops posted:

I love this ability because it's so good for defending keeps. You just go :frogout: and shove everything right out the door.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Lana is good

Adventure mode is fun, but it really sucks when you aren't prepared for a mission.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

hyrulewarriors.jpg right there.

I liked how I was playing as Ganondorf and Zant requests assistance. Ganondorf actually replied back something to the effect of "Aren't you a king yourself!?"

So at least Ganondorf acknowledges how pathetic it is them asking for help.

I still consider Ghirahim to be canonically competent :colbert:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spectacle Rock posted:

I liked how I was playing as Ganondorf and Zant requests assistance. Ganondorf actually replied back something to the effect of "Aren't you a king yourself!?"

Ghirahim succeeded at his goal without the help of Demise or the Triforce. He's possibly the most competent Zelda villain, save maybe Vaati.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I hate how they managed to make the imprisoned just as terrible as in SS. You can't even bring his weak gauge past 50% because the moment you do he decides to become completely invincible until he stands up again.

Also I've lost count of how many times I've killed two imprisoned and Ghirahim and only gotten weapon drops even with +material and no weapon skills

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 10, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ahaha I just did Link's level 2 great fairy and finished with 15:01 on the clock. drat it!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Spectacle Rock posted:

I really enjoyed the point in Legend mode where Impa split herself up into phantom copies and all Ganon had to say was 'You're acting like I haven't done that before.' The more Ganondorf gets to talk, the more I like him. This is rarely true of game characters, so he deserves some special kind of praise.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A friend of mine had some time to hang out today so we started up Hyrule Warriors. Co-op is a lot of fun, although I don't yet have a Wii U Pro controller so I was stuck with Wiimote+nunchuck. Weak Attack being mapped to waggle seems like a really silly design decision.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dastardly posted:

I hate how they managed to make the imprisoned just as terrible as in SS. You can't even bring his weak gauge past 50% because the moment you do he decides to become completely invincible until he stands up again.

Also I've lost count of how many times I've killed two imprisoned and Ghirahim and only gotten weapon drops even with +material and no weapon skills

I've been able to get it one wedge past halfway, but you definitely can't get his weak point gauge all the way in one stagger. Unless maybe you do so much damage you can nail it in one attack or something.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
What sucks about the imprisoned is that he can get up during your special attack animation if you leave it too late. :I
It works on every other boss as long as you use it before they start getting up and it gets you a bunch more time to break their weakpoint, enough to do it in one go usually.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just unlocked Ganondorf and :stare:

Dude hits like a truck, hits everything around him, and his animations are great. Also Link with the Fire Rod is pretty fun.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just unlocked Ganondorf and :stare:

Dude hits like a truck, hits everything around him, and his animations are great. Also Link with the Fire Rod is pretty fun.

Invest in getting his full combo immediately. Bask in the glory that is Ganondorf's YYYYYX.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Shadowlyger posted:

Invest in getting his full combo immediately. Bask in the glory that is Ganondorf's YYYYYX.

I recently unlocked that and it's pretty damned :black101:. Nothing is more satisfying than finishing off one of those goody-two-shoes heroes with a giant shadow Ganon claw swipe. Sadly, it's far too slow of a build up to be useful for anything, but it's still really cool and fun for casual runthroughs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And with the Guardian's Gate I now have all the level 2 weapons. That level was so crazy I had to just forgo the 1000 kill skulltula because there was no way I'd have time to cross the whole map to get it and still finish in time. I love two army levels like this though. They're so hectic, it's really satisfying to crush them.

Now, the real fun begins.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The mission for the tier two summoning gate is BULLSHIT, I can't leave my base for more than a minute at a time without having to run back to defend it, how can I ever complete any of these objectives? I can easily go over 15 minutes without achieving anything. What am I supposed to do?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

The mission for the tier two summoning gate is BULLSHIT, I can't leave my base for more than a minute at a time without having to run back to defend it, how can I ever complete any of these objectives? I can easily go over 15 minutes without achieving anything. What am I supposed to do?

You need to kill a huge group of Enemy captains at once to get some breathing room. When I did it, a whole crowd of them gathered in the Allied base while I captured the one next door and dealt with the Scout Captain on that end. Then I came back and like 5 people were in my base so I spammed my summons and slaughtered them all. This gave me plenty of time to go kill the Enemy commander. By the time I got back, one more Rogue Stalmaster turned up in my base so I killed him and then charged for the Rogue base ignoring everything else.

I think most likely the thing that's tripping you up is that you can leave the allied base alone for a bit. Cia will do a good job of defending it and it shouldn't fall right away as long as you kill a few captains on the way to other objectives. I was able to A-rank it on my first try with 3 minutes to spare.

Remember you can strong attack and dodge cancel until you get the one you want for a particular situation (i.e. Argorok usually).

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

larchesdanrew posted:

I recently unlocked that and it's pretty damned :black101:. Nothing is more satisfying than finishing off one of those goody-two-shoes heroes with a giant shadow Ganon claw swipe. Sadly, it's far too slow of a build up to be useful for anything, but it's still really cool and fun for casual runthroughs.

Um? You can clear entire keeps in one shot with that attack, how is that "not useful"?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone know how defense upgrades work? I try to keep characters upgraded in their element of choice, but I have no idea if that actually helps since most Adventure Mode stages don't have a recommended element.

I feel like this is needlessly obtuse and hard to tell if it's having any effect for something that should be simple.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
All I know is that going from no lightning defense badge to second-level lightning defense badge on Zelda made her take a quarter-heart of damage from Volga and Wizzro instead of six entire hearts in the infamous level 2 baton mission.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alacron posted:

Anyone know how defense upgrades work? I try to keep characters upgraded in their element of choice, but I have no idea if that actually helps since most Adventure Mode stages don't have a recommended element.

I feel like this is needlessly obtuse and hard to tell if it's having any effect for something that should be simple.

Defense badges are actually incredibly strong. Each level of defense actually makes a huge difference for each element.

You're doing exactly what you should do - upgrade their elements as much as possible. Most adventure mode stages don't have an element it's true, but all of the weapon stages do, and those are some of the most difficult ones. Raising their defense for their main element will make getting the damage requirement much much easier.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wild Knight posted:

All I know is that going from no lightning defense badge to second-level lightning defense badge on Zelda made her take a quarter-heart of damage from Volga and Wizzro instead of six entire hearts in the infamous level 2 baton mission.

Really? Wow, I've got to give that a try.

I kind of wish this game didn't have levels, I feel like the badges and weapons give you enough avenues of progression.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Shadowlyger posted:

Um? You can clear entire keeps in one shot with that attack, how is that "not useful"?

If you're trying to avoid getting hit, the three seconds you spend winding up leave you very vulnerable. It's insanely powerful if it goes off without a hitch, though.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Misandu posted:

That's a shame but it's what I figured. In that case I'm even more impressed they managed to come up with a bunch of really fun to use mechanics like they did for Hyrule Warriors!
As of DW8, there's quite a bit of varied movesets (way more than in DW7), but dang near everyone can use everyone else's weapons, meaning that the only real exclusivity between characters (besides stats) is their Musou/special moves, their Rage/Focus Spirit Finish moves, and "EX" attacks (extra heavy attack finishers for a specific character-weapon combo).

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Okay, turned out that my problem with this level was using the book instead of the summoning gate. I didn't think the recommended element made all that much difference, not after I beat Zelda's tier 2 baton mission so much more easily with a tier 2 rapier than when I tried it with the "right" weapon. So I thought using the strongest weapon I had was the way to go. But drat, the enemies in this level must be crazy resistant to lightning because switching to the gate made the difference between "take a couple minutes to kill one stalmaster" and "wreck entire rooms in seconds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm really impressed by how fun pretty much all the characters are to play. I give Lana a lot of poo poo for being so :japan:, but she's still fun, and I even like the dumb Deku Stick, if just for the novelty of the DEKU SPROUT FIRING SQUAD weak point break.

There's just a lot of heart put into all of them, and they all feel pretty unique. Some are harder to learn than others (Zant, Ghirahim), but I feel like nobody is outright "Bad" or not fun to play. I hope the DLC characters can keep up with that standard. I think I'd be most worried about Volga normally, since he's basically "Big Guy With Lance", but this game made Link, the classic "guy with sword" into a spinning, rushing, sword laser firing monster, so high hopes there. Turning into a dragon also gives him cool moveset opportunities.

• Locked thread