Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can ball out of control very quickly, but still have fun decimating dudes with like cool powers and stuff. Summoning would be a cool thing, but really anything that lets me destroy poo poo.

If you have a tolerance for old games Sacrifice lets you play as a volcano summoning death wizard playing pawn to the greatest pantheon of video game gods which includes Tim Curry as Stratos, a cloak-wearing helium cannister with a smiley face balloon attached to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Painkiller is probably the most fun "Just go out there and blow the poo poo out of everything" FPS I ever played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Painkiller is probably the most fun "Just go out there and blow the poo poo out of everything" FPS I ever played.

Only the first one and I've heard negative things about the re-release as well. The expansions definitely get far too large with few enemies so you spend a lot of time navigating these huge, empty levels trying to find the next trigger point for a wave of enemies.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can ball out of control very quickly, but still have fun decimating dudes with like cool powers and stuff. Summoning would be a cool thing, but really anything that lets me destroy poo poo.

Have you every played Nox? It's an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, but I hesitate to make the comparison because the focus of Nox is more about using your skills tactically and it has a crunchy feel that very much stands the test of time. There's a summoner class and you can crush dudes with a giant fist from the heavens. It's $6 on gog.com.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nox is a strange game from a difficulty standpoint. It's one of those games where things are very easy if you play right but getting too cocky will get you killed in a blink of the eye. I find the conjurer to be underpowered but the wizard is straight up lightning bolt shredding baller.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm looking for a couple different types of games.

• A sandbox type game that has really good emergent stories, especially with rivalries or cycles of violence. Crusader Kings is great for that "Plotting to kill a guy because he killed your father, but he did that because your father was supporting his bastard brother's claim to the throne, but he was only doing that because..." ridiculousness, and it makes for a lot of fun politicking.
  • The polar opposite of that. A game where I can support a little community and help it grow and prosper, hopefully by adventuring and bringing home the loot. I don't mean like the sim city or Sierra city-builder games, but something where there are individual characters to interact with. I can't really think of any examples of this specific kind of thing though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nolanar posted:

• A sandbox type game that has really good emergent stories, especially with rivalries or cycles of violence. Crusader Kings is great for that "Plotting to kill a guy because he killed your father, but he did that because your father was supporting his bastard brother's claim to the throne, but he was only doing that because..." ridiculousness, and it makes for a lot of fun politicking.

Definitely Shadow of Mordor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeoSeeker posted:

Also an afterthought on the whole Dead Space debate. Next time you play through the first one (probably the second and definately the third), turn off the music. Seriously just turn off the music. It turns into straight up garish gorn the video game. Unless you're incredibly faint of heart.

Also, up the difficulty as high as you can. That slaughterfest you cause on Normal goes the other way...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nolanar posted:

I'm looking for a couple different types of games.

• The polar opposite of that. A game where I can support a little community and help it grow and prosper, hopefully by adventuring and bringing home the loot. I don't mean like the sim city or Sierra city-builder games, but something where there are individual characters to interact with. I can't really think of any examples of this specific kind of thing though.

For the first game I'd also check out The Guild which is a straight up Machiavellian politics simulator or Mount & Blade. To a lesser extent there's Space Rangers 2 which doesn't form rivalries as a conceit of the design but literally every NPC has a name and does their own thing which includes robbing or helping you. There's a big war going on in real time so as people die you'll move up and down the rankings.

Second game definitely sounds like you want any of the Rune Factory series or Little King Story.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 11, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, up the difficulty as high as you can. That slaughterfest you cause on Normal goes the other way...

As an alternative point of view on this, I normally play games on harder difficulties, love Dark Souls and Spelunky and blah blah, but gave up on Dead Space 2 on hard. I was playing it with a couple spectators and after running low on ammo and having my head ripped off and eaten over and over, the experience was a little unsettling for everyone so we played something else and never came back to it. YMMV, but the difficulty didn't seem like the fun kind and the protracted death sequences wore me down.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
What are some good games about politics?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sam. posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is a pretty good game about doing political things, but less so if you mean "with a message about politics" or "about contemporary politics."

You can change laws, plot to weaken your vassals if you're a ruler or your liege if you're a vassal, bribe people for all kinds of purposes, forge marriage alliances, convert religions, hold public events; really the core mechanic of the entire game is "how much do other important people like or hate me, and why" and everything else flows from that.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Sam. posted:

The Metal Gear series

What specifically are you looking for? Games with settings and plots dealing with real world or hypothetical scenarios like older Tom Clancy games, or something more like a simulator like Shadow President or Crusader Kings?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is a pretty good game about doing political things, but less so if you mean "with a message about politics" or "about contemporary politics."

I meant a game where you do political stuff. I like CK2, but I'm looking for something with more fleshed-out intrigue, and preferably more contemporary.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Democracy 3?

A turn-based simulatiion game where you press policy buttons and see what (unintended?) effects they have. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a game where you join/support factions and/or backstab them, this is not it. It's more of a "cause & effect" strategic puzzler than anything else.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sam. posted:

I meant a game where you do political stuff. I like CK2, but I'm looking for something with more fleshed-out intrigue, and preferably more contemporary.

Floor 13?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jehde posted:

Definitely Shadow of Mordor.

So is this the current goon flavor of the month? It seems to keep cropping up in every thread just like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin did a couple weeks ago.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

double nine posted:

Democracy 3?

A turn-based simulatiion game where you press policy buttons and see what (unintended?) effects they have. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a game where you join/support factions and/or backstab them, this is not it. It's more of a "cause & effect" strategic puzzler than anything else.

Looks like it's all about policies and almost nothing about people, but what I'm looking for is a mixture of both.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sam. posted:

Looks like it's all about policies and almost nothing about people, but what I'm looking for is a mixture of both.

Fate of the World is pretty fun. Try to fix India, I loving dare you.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is probably gonna sound really weird, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to try and find these things. I'm looking for games dealing with a certain subject matter.

Can anyone think of any sorts of games, doesn't matter if they're old, new, indie, AAA, whatever genre, that are actually about and examine sexism? I don't mean sexist games, I mean games that are actually about dealing and having to endure sexism. Best I could think of was New Vegas.

Also, can anyone come up with games about motherhood that deal with it in a way distinct from how a game would deal with fatherhood?

Basically, I'm looking for mature games that tackle things inherent and unique to womanhood.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Len posted:

So is this the current goon flavor of the month? It seems to keep cropping up in every thread just like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin did a couple weeks ago.

This might be because an industry many people are indignant about is getting its poo poo together and releasing actual original triple A titles. For the first time in like forever, and you should play these games anyways because it's witnessing firsthand a collective getting its head out of Call of Duty (modern FPS need I say more)/Bioshock (you did it better years ago with system shock levine)/TLoU's (oh my god a third person shooter/platformer adventure game, lara croft never existed) rear end and doing something new for a change.

That and Alien Isolation, which sounds like it tried really hard and *almost* got it completely right.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 11, 2014

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Len posted:

To most everyone's surprise, the game's core gimmick (the Nemesis system) that had been hugely hyped and talked up prior to its release actually delivered exactly what was promised, i.e. randomly generated orc captains that react to what you do (or don't do) to them, taunting you about running away from them or complaining that you shot out their eye. And some of the fuckers just plain stalk you. :cry:

It has its share of flaws for sure (lacklustre plot and story missions, combat being rather on the easy side depending on which skills and upgrades you buy), but there are tremendous amounts of fantastic orc voice acting, and the way enemy captains do their own thing results in emergent mini-plots unlike pretty much any game I've ever played, especially in this genre. They give most fully scripted enemies in other titles a run for their money.

The PC port is really good, too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

This is probably gonna sound really weird, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to try and find these things. I'm looking for games dealing with a certain subject matter.

Can anyone think of any sorts of games, doesn't matter if they're old, new, indie, AAA, whatever genre, that are actually about and examine sexism? I don't mean sexist games, I mean games that are actually about dealing and having to endure sexism. Best I could think of was New Vegas.

Also, can anyone come up with games about motherhood that deal with it in a way distinct from how a game would deal with fatherhood?

Basically, I'm looking for mature games that tackle things inherent and unique to womanhood.

The Cat Lady. It's about a clinically depressed fourty-something woman who commits suicide and is resurrected to murder some evil beings but it's really about her exploring all the events leading up to her death. It's less about sexism but heavily deals with depression, motherhood, and domestic abuse.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

al-azad posted:

The Cat Lady. It's about a clinically depressed fourty-something woman who commits suicide and is resurrected to murder some evil beings but it's really about her exploring all the events leading up to her death. It's less about sexism but heavily deals with depression, motherhood, and domestic abuse.

Problem with the cat lady is that it's so drat heavy-handed and its 'main plot' is mostly about over-the-top serial killers that should be in a comedy crime story.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does Trauma deal with sexism or is it just trippy.

I've been thinking about getting it ever since it came out and my old computer couldn't run it..

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sam. posted:

Hidden Agenda is the classic here, where you have to run a Latin American nation while juggling all the different interest groups and trying to avoid getting couped. It's a monochrome DOS menu game though, if you can stomach that kind of stuff. If you can, there are a wealth of other games to take a look at, including Balance of Power.

Republic: The Revolution is not a monochrome DOS game. It's still pretty janky, both graphics and mechanics-wise, but it's pretty interesting. You basically start as one guy in an Eastern Bloc nation who works to overthrow the government, by recruiting other people, building a resistance organization, and destabilizing the government. It's very board-gamey but you might like the theming.

But back to DOS games...

Liberal Crime Squad was the game the Dwarf Fortress guy made before he made Dwarf Fortress. You play someone who could be charitably referred to as a "domestic terrorist" trying to stop the US Government from being taken over by Arch-Conservatives, while evading or fighting the police and your nemeses, the Conservative Crime Squad.

You do so with an RPG-style stat and skill set that allows you to do a bunch of different things to help develop your squad. The cool thing about the game is that literally every NPC can potentially be a member of your squad. Some people already believe in the cause and are jumping to join, while those of the conservative persuasion might require more... coercion. You'll need people to finance your operations through selling T-shirts (or robbing banks), while recruiting cops or soldiers will help you in combat. If you install a sleeper agent in the court system, even if you get arrested for shooting Rush Limbaugh in the face (there's a lot of shooting people in the face in this game) your case will mysteriously go to mistrial, etc.

Again, unfortunately it's not the prettiest of games, but there's a lot of depth to it and I thought it was quite fun.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 11, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The nice thing about Liberal Crime Squad is that you can take any approach you want.

• Peacefully writing articles about gay rights, freedom of speech, protecting immigrants, etc. while while trying to avoid being hunted down by an armed conservative mob? A valid approach.
  • Rocking out with a gang of guitar wielding hippies, walking into an army base while making music so sweet it instantly converts the most hardened of hearts, spreading a message of peace and love? A valid approach.
  • Infiltrating CIA HQ in order to uncover the financial backers of the armed conservative mob hunting you? A valid approach.
  • Breaking into a factory to free the immigrants being forced to work as slave laborers, and giving them education while protecting them from the police? A valid approach.
  • Spreading a network of infiltrators, and seducing key people in the system in order to encourage the passing of more liberal laws? A valid approach.
  • Buying a katana and chopping up everyone you don't like? A valid approach.
  • Training a modern terrorist organization and sowing fear through kidnappings, bombing, murder and mayhem? A valid approach.
  • Becoming a drug dealing gang lord who kidnaps and brainwashes people to turn them into street drug dealers giving you all of their profits, and using your thugs and cash to influence the government to stay off your back? A valid approach.
  • Detonating a nuclear powerplant to discourage the use of nuclear power? A valid approach.

It's also a fantastic parody, and the awful, awful pickup lines have to be seen to be believed. Particularly when the freedom of speech gets completely restricted.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Wow, now I am reminded of Republic. They made Evil Genius after that then died. Which is sad because Evil Genius was an incredible game.

Also all those other games look really good. Kind of astonishing to look back on that time when it was all substance and absolutely no style at all. Or rather style was a giant afterthough.

And does Hidden Agenda deal with narcotics? Or does it deny South America is almost completely run by the drug trade?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Republic is one of those games that sounds good when you read about it, but is actually terrible when you go to play it. Avoid. That guy described it as 'board gamey', and he's right. It's basically a board game with a political type theme. It'd be like calling Clue a murder mystery board game.

Evil Genius however is wonderful and nothing like a board game. It's more like Dungeon Keeper through the lens of Austin Powers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Republic is one of those games that sounds good when you read about it, but is actually terrible when you go to play it. Avoid.

Evil Genius however is wonderful.

*glorious 60s james bond style music*

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Republic is one of those games that sounds good when you read about it, but is actually terrible when you go to play it. Avoid. That guy described it as 'board gamey', and he's right. It's basically a board game with a political type theme. It'd be like calling Clue a murder mystery board game.

Evil Genius however is wonderful and nothing like a board game. It's more like Dungeon Keeper through the lens of Austin Powers.

This is all correct, I have Republic on CD somewhere. It's a really weird game and even 10 years later I still can't wrap my head around the game mechanics, it's just totally obtuse. Go watch a let's play or something.

Evil Genius is however great, I think it's a little weirdly broken up because the first island (there's only two) is really limiting and serves as a weird tutorial only. If you do transition to the second island make sure you save up a ton of money because you only bring the money you got in your vault with you. You can also torture agents by putting them into various machines in the game :3: My personal favorite was the AI core.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I loved taking agents into the kitchen and pushing their head into the egg beaters. Such a great game. It's a shame that we will never see another one again. They brought it back as a loving F2P facebook game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The library torture devices were gloriously devious. And the traps were equally devious. Wonderful little piranhas.

SOMEONE MAKE ANOTHER BOND VILLAIN SIMULATOR GODDAMNED!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The soundtrack to that game was utterly beautiful.

Ahh, the gaming heydays of the early 2000s. Back when things were really looking up (and then completely fail to meet expectations until two generations later, and at that in a hokey way)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Shadow of Mordor is the AssCreed game I've always wanted to play. Combat (at least in the early game) is actually dangerous and I feel like the world is far more alive than in the typical AssCreed.

Being the recommendation thread I'll recommend this to anyone who wants a game like Assassin's Creed or Batman but with a gimmick that actually works and makes it stand out from everything else.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll need a new graphics card first though :(

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

It should be kept in mind whenever recommending Distant Worlds that it is a super, super deep game, even by 4x standards. It's the kind of game that you have to grapple with for hours just to have any idea what you're doing, kind of like a Paradox game.

This is not a rebuttal of the recommendation, just something that should be kept in mind.

That's true and I should have mentioned that. It helps if you automate some of the things that you are unfamiliar with. I still don't touch the ship design interface since that is the one thing I still haven't taken the time to wrap my mind around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NeoSeeker posted:

And does Hidden Agenda deal with narcotics? Or does it deny South America is almost completely run by the drug trade?

Without getting into the debate inherent in that question, the game is based on the political upheavals of the 1960s and 1970s, so no, it doesn't really involve drugs.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of my own. I'm going to be using my laptop as my single screen for the next couple months, so I'm looking for games that will play nice in a half-screen window (that is, around 700x768) while I have video playing on the other half of the desktop.

Turn-based stuff, or at least stuff I can shift my attention back and forth from easily, would be preferred. PopCap stuff would probably be too casual.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Without getting into the debate inherent in that question, the game is based on the political upheavals of the 1960s and 1970s, so no, it doesn't really involve drugs.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of my own. I'm going to be using my laptop as my single screen for the next couple months, so I'm looking for games that will play nice in a half-screen window (that is, around 700x768) while I have video playing on the other half of the desktop.

Turn-based stuff, or at least stuff I can shift my attention back and forth from easily, would be preferred. PopCap stuff would probably be too casual.

Dwarf fortress will do it, otherwise you could play a bunch of old games in Dosbox. A few recommendations there off the top of my head are Afterlife (city builder), The Dig (adventure, on steam) and I think you can probably run Papers Please in a small window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for some fun an absurd fighting games that I can play locally on PC. Some Naruto game is on sale and I remember liking the dumbshit anime fights from some early DBZ games. Are the modern ones fun?