Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

No, the DC characters don't have their own in-universe comics. There are winks on both sides that Marvel publishes comics in the DCU and DC publishes comics on Earth-616, though.

Actually in Detective Comics #622-624 there is an unauthorized Batman comic which is pretty freaking twisted. Basically a comic writer and artist put their interpretation of Batman into a comic book, within a comicbook.

edit: Also the Watchmen comicbook made an appearance in The Question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Actually in Detective Comics #622-624 there is an unauthorized Batman comic which is pretty freaking twisted. Basically a comic writer and artist put their interpretation of Batman into a comic book, within a comicbook.

edit: Also the Watchmen comicbook made an appearance in The Question.

I'm sure "Tales of the Black Freighter" has showed up in some other comic book. Wikipedia doesn't seem to mention any, and I'd expect those obsessive-compulsives to be all over this kind of thing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

Does DC have anything like that?

Superman/Batman #44

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

onefish posted:

Are there any good links for etiquette of things like getting sketches from artists in Artist's Alley at NYCC or cons in general? Prices I should expect to pay? Or tips for doing this, general knowledge (if some artists are no fun and overcharge), etc?

Say hello, ask nicely. Most will either have a price list and/or a sign up sheet. If it's someone popular, get there as early as possible on the first day as they get filled up fast. It's too late for this, but some artists do pre-convention sketches online for you to pick up when you get there.

Prices will be all over the place depending on the artist's demand, popularity, and, frankly, how much they feel like spending their time drawing vs. meeting with fans and other pros they only see at cons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't one of Barry's origins have him deciding on "The Flash" because of Jay Garrick comics?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For ages in the Silver Age DC it was established fact that other universes had comics depicting the adventures of the Justice League or the Flash.
But this wasn't because the Flash was a fictional character. Rather those universes just psycically tuned into the Flashes adventures and copied their adventures and took it all as their own work.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Say hello, ask nicely. Most will either have a price list and/or a sign up sheet. If it's someone popular, get there as early as possible on the first day as they get filled up fast. It's too late for this, but some artists do pre-convention sketches online for you to pick up when you get there.

Prices will be all over the place depending on the artist's demand, popularity, and, frankly, how much they feel like spending their time drawing vs. meeting with fans and other pros they only see at cons.

Thanks, man! I appreciate this--simple stuff, but the whole deal is new to me, so I'm glad to read it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't one of Barry's origins have him deciding on "The Flash" because of Jay Garrick comics?

Yes, the very first one had Barry taking on the name because he liked reading Jay Garrick comics.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Senor Candle posted:

At one point a child called Daredevil "Red Batman"

I want to say in a recent Deadpool comic someone referred to Hawkeye as "Purple Arrow"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I want to say in a recent Deadpool comic someone referred to Hawkeye as "Purple Arrow"

Was that in one of the Hawkeye V Deadpool? That sounds familiar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

The Flash called him "Purple Arrow" in JLA/Avengers (he also says he "has experience with boomerangs" and Hawkeye complains his boomerang arrow "would've worked on the Whizzer").

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Man has made references to Batman Returns (while fighting The Jury), and the Christian Bale Batman (Spot issue during Brand New Day), if those count for anything.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CzarChasm posted:

They do it in A+X #8.

That issue also shows that it's not easy coming up with nicknames for Hawkeye.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

At one point a child called Daredevil "Red Batman"

Well of course he's Red Batman, everyone knows the real Batman wears red and blue!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love when writers manage to nail Spidey's sense of humour.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I love when writers manage to nail Spidey's sense of humour.

It's easy when you're Brian K. Vaughan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think there's one issue of Ultimate Spider-Man where he's doing a Help me _____ list and says Superman too.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

qntm posted:

Superman/Batman #44

I'd read that book. I'd read that fuckin book so hard. (Probably not watch the movie though)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Back in Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International series in the late '80s, Maxwell Lord licensed a Justice League comic that portrayed Guy Gardner as a wimpy idiot, which he was for a brief time after Batman knocked him out with one punch and he hit his head getting back up. When Guy's true personality came back, he was offended and pissed about the comic, since he didn't remember his time spent as a friendly simpleton.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just reread Infinity Gauntlet and I don't remember: where/when does Adam Warlock lose the Gems? I thought it was at the end of this series, but I guess not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Just reread Infinity Gauntlet and I don't remember: where/when does Adam Warlock lose the Gems? I thought it was at the end of this series, but I guess not.
It happens in Warlock and the Infinity Watch pretty much immediately after. He doesn't lose them so much as the Living Tribunal decides that they will no longer work together, so he gives them away to his best buddies and also Thanos.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I know what happens, I just can't remember if I actually read it. :shrug: I think I may have owned reprints of the story as a kid?

Thanks, though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

It happens in Warlock and the Infinity Watch pretty much immediately after. He doesn't lose them so much as the Living Tribunal decides that they will no longer work together, so he gives them away to his best buddies and also Thanos.

Mild difference:
Eternity petitions the Living Tribunal to stop the Gems from working together, and It questions Eternity's objectiveness in the whole affair. ("Is this not the law of nature? The strong seeking to supplant the weak?")

The Tribunal does say to Warlock he has to surrender the Gems. Warlock says he would resist, to which the Tribunal says any fight between them would lay waste to all reality.

So for a bit there, Warlock did play chicken with the Living Tribunal.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love the series, but this has bugged me for a long time. Spoilers for the last issue of New Frontier: So King Faraday dies pulling the psychic presence of the Centre of of J'onn. How exactly did he do that though? Was he a low level psychic or something?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Back in Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International series in the late '80s, Maxwell Lord licensed a Justice League comic that portrayed Guy Gardner as a wimpy idiot, which he was for a brief time after Batman knocked him out with one punch and he hit his head getting back up. When Guy's true personality came back, he was offended and pissed about the comic, since he didn't remember his time spent as a friendly simpleton.

There's a backup story in JLA #50 where Guy goes to the DC offices to yell at them for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

There's a backup story in JLA #50 where Guy goes to the DC offices to yell at them for it.

Huh, I didn't know you could post on Newsarama with a rotary phone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mister Mind posted:

#gardnergate

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Are there any resources compiling recommended reading lists for comic books? I know the recommended reading thread has a post but I'm wondering if there's anything more comprehensive. For example I'm interested in trying to tackle The Flash but can't see myself reading the whole catalog, basically hoping for a best hits version that gives me the broad strokes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Corte posted:

Are there any resources compiling recommended reading lists for comic books? I know the recommended reading thread has a post but I'm wondering if there's anything more comprehensive. For example I'm interested in trying to tackle The Flash but can't see myself reading the whole catalog, basically hoping for a best hits version that gives me the broad strokes.

ComicAlliance recently put out a Flash reading list.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Here are some recommended reading lists for various characters by ::cough:: the same writer as that Flash article.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the fact that Mark Waid seems to have burned his bridges with DC could very well preclude more of his Flash stories being collected in the near future than have been already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the last time Shamrock appeared in a Marvel comic proper?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Corte posted:

Well, if you want to get into Deadpool I did one of those.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?
"You're a loving idiot" is about as polite as I could possibly get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

By pointing out that the fascist characters are not the characters you're supposed to support. You're not supposed to come away from Watchmen and go "Boy, those were sure some good decisions!"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What even is a cryptofascist?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

prefect posted:

Give them some Frank Miller comics to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Potsticker posted:

What even is a cryptofascist?

People who search for mythological and legendary fascists.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 17, 2014