Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Just discovered this thread, and despite the fact that I'm an old hand at WDW, I'll have to read through the whole thing tomorrow as I'll soon be taking my girlfriend there for the first time, and this thread might help me guess what will intimidate her.

On topic post contents:
When I was younger I used to save most of the paper fast pass that didn't get used, and sometimes would even make intentionally invalid ones. Still have most of them at my parent's place. Going to have to make something out of them now that they are gone forever :cry:

Last time I was there, they still had them, so this holiday season will be my first time on the new system. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much, as I was really good at optimizing those paper bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

inkmoth posted:

Just discovered this thread, and despite the fact that I'm an old hand at WDW, I'll have to read through the whole thing tomorrow as I'll soon be taking my girlfriend there for the first time, and this thread might help me guess what will intimidate her.

On topic post contents:
When I was younger I used to save most of the paper fast pass that didn't get used, and sometimes would even make intentionally invalid ones. Still have most of them at my parent's place. Going to have to make something out of them now that they are gone forever :cry:

Last time I was there, they still had them, so this holiday season will be my first time on the new system. Can't say I'm looking forward to it too much, as I was really good at optimizing those paper bastards.

"Intimidate" her? At Disney? I don't get it.

As someone who was indifferent to the old FP system, I believe most people adjust to it pretty quickly, unless they are seeking every reason to bitch about them. I haven't had any real problems with it until one day that MyMagicPlus randomly deleted all our passes, but luckily, I thought to take a screen shot of the passes for proof. So I had no problems getting on the rides I was supposed to.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
We used to have a wall of failure where we kept all of the expired/fake FPs people tried to use. People were certainly creative, I'll give them that much.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Doronin posted:

"Intimidate" her? At Disney? I don't get it.

As someone who was indifferent to the old FP system, I believe most people adjust to it pretty quickly, unless they are seeking every reason to bitch about them. I haven't had any real problems with it until one day that MyMagicPlus randomly deleted all our passes, but luckily, I thought to take a screen shot of the passes for proof. So I had no problems getting on the rides I was supposed to.

We'll be going with my family, who are the prototypical "plan every second, dining reservation hotline number memorized since I was seven" type of vacationer.

To be fair, I'm actually pretty excited to try the new system, definitely should lead to less pointless sprinting around. The screenshot idea seems like a solid backup plan though!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

inkmoth posted:

definitely should lead to less pointless sprinting around.

But if you arent sprinting around, how do you justify eating a crap ton of delicious disney food?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I rode with a bunch of teenagers on Test Track today, who, at the part where poo poo goes real fast, took out a phone and took a selfie video. And on my way out of the park, I saw a girl at a meet and greet take a selfie with Alice.

Cell phones make Disney way cooler, y'all.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Yoshifan823 posted:

I rode with a bunch of teenagers on Test Track today, who, at the part where poo poo goes real fast, took out a phone and took a selfie video. And on my way out of the park, I saw a girl at a meet and greet take a selfie with Alice.

Cell phones make Disney way cooler, y'all.

Doesn't it suck to get old? All the kids start doing things you'd never have even thought of.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

Yikes, goon testing. Scary!

Well, you know we would be brutally honest and thorough. :)

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Toy Story Midway Mania.

While this is an entertaining ride/game I'll never understand the craze. I read guides saying you should literally run to this ride when the park opens if you want to ride it. We got there when the park opened, walked, and by the time we got there estimated wait time was 70 minutes. Madness I say.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Old Man Pants posted:

While this is an entertaining ride/game I'll never understand the craze. I read guides saying you should literally run to this ride when the park opens if you want to ride it. We got there when the park opened, walked, and by the time we got there estimated wait time was 70 minutes. Madness I say.

True. I prefer the MK Buzz Lightyear ride to the Toy Story one. At least you can make the Buzz Lightyear spin constantly as a mini-ride while shooting. One time we got stuck on the tracks for five minutes. We just kept spinning. :)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Fish Of Doom posted:

So this is apparently what replaced Off Kilter?

http://youtu.be/DP5Xl4iO-lc
I made it to about twenty seconds with "Mahn-soor" Whatshisface before clicking a related link of one of Off Kilter's performances. Never been to Epcot but what a disappointment. Small detail, but why's there a huge plexiglass screen in front of the drummer?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kinmik posted:

I made it to about twenty seconds with "Mahn-soor" Whatshisface before clicking a related link of one of Off Kilter's performances. Never been to Epcot but what a disappointment. Small detail, but why's there a huge plexiglass screen in front of the drummer?

A lot of bands have that. Helps with the sound, although I can't quite tell you how.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Silly Burrito posted:

True. I prefer the MK Buzz Lightyear ride to the Toy Story one. At least you can make the Buzz Lightyear spin constantly as a mini-ride while shooting. One time we got stuck on the tracks for five minutes. We just kept spinning. :)

buzz lightyear similarly doesn't have poo poo on the MIB ride at universal. The queue is unbelievably amazing (best queue in all the parks imo), the targets are way cooler, the guns are actually somewhat accurate and easy to fire, and there's even a bit at the end where will smith gives you a message depending on how you scored. Buzz Lightyear is a bunch of cardboard cutouts by comparison.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

kinmik posted:

Small detail, but why's there a huge plexiglass screen in front of the drummer?

They plexiglass enclosure serves as an isolation booth to cut back on the drum volume where there is excessive stage volume. In a smaller live venue such as the stage in the Canada pavilion it isolates the sound the of drums and keeps the surrounding mics from being saturated by them.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Old Man Pants posted:

It's the only ride at DHS that doesn't have a height requirement other than the Great Movie Ride and that one isn't super great for small children. It's less about the ride being popular and more "What the heck else am I going to do with this three year old here?"

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

inkmoth posted:

We'll be going with my family, who are the prototypical "plan every second, dining reservation hotline number memorized since I was seven" type of vacationer.

To be fair, I'm actually pretty excited to try the new system, definitely should lead to less pointless sprinting around. The screenshot idea seems like a solid backup plan though!

Oh, that makes sense. Well, have fun!

Also, I really like Toy Story at DHS. It's fun, but nothing I'd wait more than 30 minutes to do.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

mearn posted:

It's DHS. "What the heck am I going to do here?"

(Long) Trip Report:

Holy construction, Bat Man. I liken Disney World to New York, in that every time you go something is undergoing development or improvement. This time, however, it seemed as if every park and Downtown Disney is undergoing a major overhaul with the exception of EPCOT. Miles of "no seeum" green fence with Walt quotes.

The FastPass+ thing wasn't that hard to adjust to. We decided which park/s we wanted to go to, determined which rides we really wanted to go on, and set them up the day before. One thing I'll recommend is, if you are meeting friends or family from another city make sure everyone is linked on My Disney Experience. We didn't and it kind of made it difficult, but not impossible, to get FastPasses for our group in the same window. Also, if you are relying on wifi, the parks network gets absolutely hammered during the afternoon hours causing the app to crash or become unresponsive at times.

The Food & Wine at EPCOT was fun with a tons more kiosks than years previous. My wife and I made it a little over halfway around The World Showcase stopping at just about every stand and it turned out to be cheaper than having dinner at one of the nicer restaurants. Warning: the sangria in Mexico is strong. ;)

The weather was crap the entire time we were there, but somewhat worked in our favor. As soon as the flood gates opened the majority of people would either high tail it to the gates or just freeze up under some overhang or alcove. The vast majority of ques are covered or inside, People! This combined with off season dropped the wait for pretty much everything to 30 min or 10 min. In fact on one evening Space Mountian was 10 min. that 10 min. was how long it took to just walk right on to the ride.

Really cool thing. My sister, who was born with the beautiful gift of lack of foresight, decided that she wanted a fancy breakfast for her birthday at 6 p.m. the night before. Of course every place she wanted to go had been booked up 6 months prior. We found The Wave at the Contemporary (Recommended, by the way) and set up reservations for 9:30. We were staying pretty close to where the buses picked up at Downtown so headed down bright and early. Turns out there isn't much demand for a bus from Downtown to The Contemporary at 9 a.m., go figure. Well, a couple of supervisors for the transportation dept. overheard our plight as to how we were going to make our reservations and gave us a ride in their car "because they had to go there anyway". We had a great time with them on the way there and as we were exiting the car while thanking them profusely they handed us a stack of fastpasses for Magic Kingdom. Thank You, Ladies.

The last day we were there we still hadn't had to use those passes, so my wife and I handed them to a nice family that had just walked through the gates as we were leaving. Turns out the family had just made it to FL and hadn't had time to set up any FastPasses of their own yet. The kids were excited and you could see the temporary relief on dad's face. Good Trip.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 9, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We had something like 29 days consecutive of rain last month.. now not one drop since. Glad you paid it forward with the passes.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I wish it was going to be a little cooler there this weekend. I hate the heat.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My friend is at Disney right now and tried to buy tickets for tonight's Halloween party. Tonight's, tomorrow night's, and Monday night's parties are all sold out. The CM at the ticket window said they got one notice that said they were sold out all three nights. I've never seen it sell out this early in the month. Could it be a corporate event or tour groups? Surely not because of Columbus Day. It's just so odd.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It was like that last weekend. We went on Saturday to Epcot I think it was and parked at MK to take the mono over and the parking lot was super packed at 11 or 12p. So many little porkers in Ana & Elsa costumes I had to choke back the vomit.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
I'm here at Walt Disney World on a press junket. We were at Epcot yesterday, and I have to ask - what the hell is with the Eric Idle Journey Into Imagination ride? It is definitely the worst thing ever. Is there a story behind that, or is it just fully random?

Magic Kingdom was today, and we got passes to the Halloween party. I will never understand why people will line up for over an hour and a half to get a piece of candy that's worth about 5 cents. The Trick-or-Treating thing is a total bust. The parade and the fireworks were nice, though. It was insanely busy - way busier than the park had been all day. Not sure I would have paid for it, honestly.

I keep wanting there to be some kind of "goon signal" for WDW so if I see anybody from the thread I'll know about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Aethersphere posted:

I'm here at Walt Disney World on a press junket. We were at Epcot yesterday, and I have to ask - what the hell is with the Eric Idle Journey Into Imagination ride? It is definitely the worst thing ever. Is there a story behind that, or is it just fully random?

Magic Kingdom was today, and we got passes to the Halloween party. I will never understand why people will line up for over an hour and a half to get a piece of candy that's worth about 5 cents. The Trick-or-Treating thing is a total bust. The parade and the fireworks were nice, though. It was insanely busy - way busier than the park had been all day. Not sure I would have paid for it, honestly.

I keep wanting there to be some kind of "goon signal" for WDW so if I see anybody from the thread I'll know about it.

The first version of the ride was neat, 2nd one also. I have no clue about the third because every time I go the ride breaks down somehow.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I guess as it gets closer to halloween it gets crazier but we went a couple of weeks ago to the halloween thing and the park was pretty dead. Snow White was like 10-15 minutes posted but it took less than that to get on and the people at the candy stations seemed kinda bored. We did the Monsters Inc thing and there were seriously like 20 people in the audience- that was kinda weird but they still did a good show. The candy was honestly a little shockingly bad at times- off-brand smarties? C'mon son. If you go, don't get candy- you'll just want to throw it away after carrying it. My wife went to one stall and that was enough for her. My brother actually did a pretty slick trick with his kid- he told him that instead of getting candy in the park, they'd get it "delivered to the room". He bought a bag of halloween mix from target and while his wife took the kid out towards the bus, he put it in a pile on the bed and slapped a "From Mickey!" note on it and the kid flipped his poo poo when they got back that night.

My sister in law is a CM, so we got discounted tickets for it- there's no way I'd pay full price but it was pretty cool to see magic kingdom so empty. I had also never been there that late at night and I don't know if they lower the lights or if it had something to do with the low attendance but it's genuinely dark and spooky in a lot of places.

Next adventure is a disney cruise at the end of the month, never been on anything bigger than a coastguard cutter, should be interesting.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney cruises are awesome! I did one earlier this year. Which ship are you on? Do Palo and/or Remy if you can. Well worth the extra cost!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Aethersphere posted:

Journey Into Imagination was great about 20+ years ago. Then they needlessly redid the whole thing at some point (I forgot when) and it really sucks.

Braksgirl posted:

Disney cruises are awesome! I did one earlier this year. Which ship are you on? Do Palo and/or Remy if you can. Well worth the extra cost!

I wholeheartedly agree here. I'm going on the Wonder in a little over 30 days on a west Caribbean itinerary. Palo is outstanding, and Remy was literally one of the best dining experiences I have ever had, period.

After my Wonder trip, the Dream will be the only ship I haven't been on. The Fantasy and Magic, however, were amazingly awesome.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Aethersphere posted:

Journey Into Imagination used to be really amazing - twice the length and just dripping with with everything EPCOT used to be. Then, for an assortment of undisclosed reasons ranging from "it broke down far too often" to "it was far too complex for the time" to "they wanted it to match Honey I Shrunk the Audience which replaced Captain EO", they removed Figment entirely and made it into Journey into your Imagination which I never really rode but it was an enormous pile of poo poo according to said video. It then turned into what it is now once Disney was able to climb out of the complaint pile over the whole Figment thing.

I have mixed feelings over the current version. It's a shadow of the first version, yes, but it's leaps and bounds better than the second version.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Doronin posted:

Journey Into Imagination was great about 20+ years ago. Then they needlessly redid the whole thing at some point (I forgot when) and it really sucks.

1998 was when they Introduced Journey into YOUR Imagination, which had no Figment of any kind and was instantly hated so much Disney realized they done hosed up. That lasted a year before they shut it down, and quickly redid the ride to include Figment again, but the damage was done and the ride is now vastly inferior.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Braksgirl posted:

We're on the Magic. My brother already booked Palo for dinner and brunch for us. I'm excited. Plus we'll be underway on Halloween, so that should be neat. We're eastern carib., I'm excited to see the Virgin Islands and Castaway Cay because I really love just chilling out on the beach and they look beautiful. I'm going to order some Safe Sea for sure- my skin's a little sensitive and I don't know what sea lice or jellyfish would do to it, but it'd probably be unpleasant.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Castaway Cay might be my favorite part of a Disney cruise. Serenity Bay is amazing.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

1998 was when they Introduced Journey into YOUR Imagination, which had no Figment of any kind and was instantly hated so much Disney realized they done hosed up. That lasted a year before they shut it down, and quickly redid the ride to include Figment again, but the damage was done and the ride is now vastly inferior.

No kidding? I never knew that. I literally didn't step foot in Orlando from 1995-2005, so I had no idea that ever happened. That explains quite a lot about why that ride is such a turd now. Although from secondhand info I've cobbled together, it doesn't sound like I miss a whole lot in those 10 years.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

We're on the Magic. My brother already booked Palo for dinner and brunch for us. I'm excited. Plus we'll be underway on Halloween, so that should be neat. We're eastern carib., I'm excited to see the Virgin Islands and Castaway Cay because I really love just chilling out on the beach and they look beautiful. I'm going to order some Safe Sea for sure- my skin's a little sensitive and I don't know what sea lice or jellyfish would do to it, but it'd probably be unpleasant.

Once again seconding Braksgirl, but Castaway is great. It's the best lunch you'll have the entire trip unless you opt for the Palo champagne brunch. But unless you're accompanied by kids on this trip, eat at the lunch area closer to Serenity Bay (adults only). Much calmer overall.

The snorkeling experience is also completely worthwhile. The best thing I saw was that they sunk one of the old Nautilus subs from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride in the area in there, so I definitely recommend that if you like snorkeling.

The Magic is awesome, too. I think you'll love it since they 're-imagined' it. The Aquadunk is really cool (and the water is heated on that slide), and the new shawarma eatery is delicious.

And if you want to sit at a bar for any length of time, O'Gills is good, but I spent nearly an entire trip at the piano bar, Keys.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Y'all are really making me want to do a cruise. Do they do scuba excursions?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Pretty sure they do.

Seriously, I've been on a few different cruises and Disney is BY FAR the best. I went on the Magic back in January with some girl friends and had a blast. We hung out at Keys, had Palo dinner (was a short cruise so brunch wasn't an option unfortunately), saw the shows, hung out on our verandah, did Castaway Cay. All amazing. Can't wait to do another one.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 10, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

A lot of bands have that. Helps with the sound, although I can't quite tell you how.

demonR6 posted:

They plexiglass enclosure serves as an isolation booth to cut back on the drum volume where there is excessive stage volume. In a smaller live venue such as the stage in the Canada pavilion it isolates the sound the of drums and keeps the surrounding mics from being saturated by them.
Bit late, but thanks for explaining.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Pretty sure they do.

Seriously, I've been on a few different cruises and Disney is BY FAR the best. I went on the Magic back in January with some girl friends and had a blast. We hung out at Keys, had Palo dinner (was a short cruise so brunch wasn't an option unfortunately), saw the shows, hung out on our verandah, did Castaway Cay. All amazing. Can't wait to do another one.

You were on the Magic this past January? So was I -- Jan. 20-23 sailing.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I was on Jan 31 - Feb 2.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Was Castaway Cay still freezing by then, or did it warm back up by the time you went?

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
Disney Cruises are phenomenal trips, to such an extent that I personally feel that they are not great first cruises. The service, ships, and cabins are so far above industry standard that it is difficult to adjust to another large ship experience. Of course, you'll have a great time. I took my family on one in August, also a Caribbean cruise. Make sure to sign up for the tours they offer on board. I've worked in the ship design business for nearly twenty years, and even I learned some interesting stuff.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

fingerpaint posted:

Disney Cruises are phenomenal trips, to such an extent that I personally feel that they are not great first cruises. The service, ships, and cabins are so far above industry standard that it is difficult to adjust to another large ship experience. Of course, you'll have a great time. I took my family on one in August, also a Caribbean cruise. Make sure to sign up for the tours they offer on board. I've worked in the ship design business for nearly twenty years, and even I learned some interesting stuff.

These are great points. If I had never been on several Carnival cruises, I don't know that I would have fully appreciated just how much better DCL is.

Although I never thought about the ship tours. I might look into that on my next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The 2015 Tower of Terror Ten Miler has been nixed from the schedule. And that's a race that always sells out quickly. It's an October event, so it's probably a safe bet that DHS will be undergoing too much construction for the race to be run. Sounds like a major park overhaul is in the works.