Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ToQ has bad bad plots in some episodes that are holding the whole show down. Somehow the villains aren't touched with the poo poo stick. Also the whole imagination is pretty meh.Basically it's even more of a kids show than usual which in hindsight we should've expected with the train gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

ToQ has bad bad plots in some episodes that are holding the whole show down. Somehow the villains aren't touched with the poo poo stick. Also the whole imagination is pretty meh.Basically it's even more of a kids show than usual which in hindsight we should've expected with the train gimmick.

A lot of us did, though. Myself included. It's been a pattern since last year with Dino Samba- while Sentai has generally been aimed at preschoolers in Japan, it's only now that it's REALLY starting to look like preschooler stuff as far as the toys go. Specifically the mecha.

the super simple suits just followed that pattern.

Going to be interesting to see what Saban does if Sentai continues to actually being a preschooler series as far as aesthetics go, since they apparently want to move back to their 'older' 8 to 12 year old demographic with Dino Charge.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

But Kyoryuger was really, really good!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

But Kyoryuger was really, really good!!

I didn't say anything about the quality of the show.

Just that the toys of the Mecha looked like preschooler toys. Which they do

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Rei_ posted:

That is INTENSELY stupid, and Carranger was once trapped inside a giant pizza, and was actually funny and interesting and cool to watch and a good show?? ToQGer is badly written, bland and clumsy. It has none of the personality of Kyoryuger, no redeeming, interesting designs like GoBusters and doesn't even manage to have a few interesting cast members like Gokaiger. Like It's just BAD. It's bad Sentai. It's like loving Go-Onger but somehow more asinine.

I don't think there's any more room in this locker, you're going to have to get stuffed into one of the ones a little further down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I don't think there's any more room in this locker, you're going to have to get stuffed into one of the ones a little further down.

I do have to admit to finding it mildly humorus that what got me shoved in it first was an off hand reference to a 'true Kamen Rider' design VS what we have now...

When the up coming Mach looks MORE traditional to the old school look than Black! Scarfs ahoy!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Personally I feel ToQger is pretty average as far as Sentai goes but the villains are incredible and at this point I really only watch to see what's going on with them. I really don't give a poo poo about any of the ToQgers at all except Akira, who is pretty okay.

Then again Go-Onger is my favorite Sentai so my opinion probably isn't worth much. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Personally I feel ToQger is pretty average as far as Sentai goes but the villains are incredible and at this point I really only watch to see what's going on with them. I really don't give a poo poo about any of the ToQgers at all except Akira, who is pretty okay.

Then again Go-Onger is my favorite Sentai so my opinion probably isn't worth much. :v:

I agree with this opinion. The hero cast is awful, and honestly even Akira has gotten old at this point (Tokacchi's okay, but the blue is usually good), but the villains are really good and their interactions are really dang interesting and holy poo poo can we just remove the ToQgers entirely? I'd watch the hell out of a series about the Shadow Line.

Hell, I'm still watching this, and only because of them.

That said, the last episode was actually really good, but it had a lot of focus on the Shadow Line so that should not surprise anyone.

Basically I feel about TQG the same way I felt about Goseiger, the hero cast is really weak but the villains are enjoyable. Only Goseiger had a grand total of one good villain, while TQG actually has a full team with a cool dynamic ever since Zed entered the series. Also TQG lacks GoseiKnight, which is sad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've got a big stack of TQG episodes to catch up on but am tempted to say gently caress it and give up. Is the show tanking in Japan, how are toy sales, etc?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I've got a big stack of TQG episodes to catch up on but am tempted to say gently caress it and give up.

You should give it a shot and form your own opinion on it, imo. This thread gets more than a little hyperbolic at times when it comes to a show's quality. ToQger's far from the best toku I've ever seen but it's silly and it's fun and the amount of focus the villains are getting is novel.

edit: Rei's comparison of it to a lesser Go-Onger is pretty spot on except Go-Onger was great and alot of fun and ToQger is merely good and medium amounts of fun.

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 11, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course if Silly isn't what you want out of a toku, as I tend to edge towards the more serious side of the spectrum myself (though stand outs within an otherwise 'serious' work are always much beloved, RE Ultraman Max episode 16), then you might as well look else where.

I love a series that can strike a good balance myself. Or, even more rarely- a series that is SUPER serious in intent and utterly whole hearted in its message, while still being a LOT of loving fun to watch. Kamen Rider Black is one of those in a way Kuuga isn't, and it's why I'd have to edge Black over Kuuga, even though it has WAY more filler and not as good writing.

Good action scenes with a lot of heart and soul and fantastic monsters can make me forgive a lot of problems.

On the flip side you have a show like Jetman, which is pretty well a parody series for the first half before veering into melodrama, but it never really hits a good balance and just leaves me frustrated and annoyed.

Or Maskman which is just kind of loving boring for a while. It took until the God Hand episode for me to really Get what Maskman was going for-and then it rarely matched that again.

...well that's a ramble. gently caress it I don't care I'm in a great mood.

ULTRAMAN MAX COMING SOON!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I just made that up. Aesir has a terrible translator that drstroyed the perfect story of Gaim and I'm mad as hell about it.

There are supposedly people that actually are like this due to the Ornac/Guridon thing and other localization sperg stuff

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

There are supposedly people that actually are like this due to the Ornac/Guridon thing and other localization sperg stuff

Real Talk: I'm a giant nerd and likely have awful opinions about what I like and don't like and why but can we all agree

That is the dumbest reason to hate a sub?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Real Talk: I'm a giant nerd and likely have awful opinions about what I like and don't like and why but can we all agree

That is the dumbest reason to hate a sub?

No, the dumbest reason is always the translation of Sendoku to Wärring. The weeping and wailing of spergs for that choice was interesting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Serious post: I think Aesir did a great job with Gaim, even if I wasn't happy with the series itself. As far as renaming localizing the belt and one of the Riders, I feel like it was kind of half-assed. Not going all in on both Guridon and Kurokage, or include Ryugen and Zangetsu and so on. The same with the belt. Warren Statesman would've been glorious to see. Personally, I would've left all the captial N Names alone, since people are going to be discussing the show in English and I wouldn't want to spark sperg arguments between like Ornac and Guridon for example.

Of course it's easy for me to play armchair localizer, and doubly so now that the series is finished. I'd hate to have to sub a live show and I'm impressed with all the poo poo people that do popular shows like Aesir/Over-Time put up with. Meanwhile the worst I currently deal with is I get manga scripts where I feel need to change every instance of "harisen" to paper fan, or chat with friends on how to either re-translate or localize jokes that the lead translator just includes a huge block of TL notes for.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RBX posted:

A train themed sentai could have been hella cool though. It's just that the execution has been pretty awful.

ToQger is a lot of wasted potential, and it's a drat shame.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't the v2 batch of Gaim going to have wärring changed back to Sengoku?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't see what's half-assed about Ornac. Changing the name was far more concise for the watcher than going 'TL: the joke is that donguri means acorn and blah blah blah'. If the characters had also pointed out how unoriginal Kurokage was I imagine he would've been changed to Armored Rider ShadowDark or something equally corny.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

A train themed sentai could have been hella cool though. It's just that the execution has been pretty awful.

ToQger is a lot of wasted potential, and it's a drat shame.

Same with Den-o, guess it's a train thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't see what's half-assed about Ornac. Changing the name was far more concise for the watcher than going 'TL: the joke is that donguri means acorn and blah blah blah'. If the characters had also pointed out how unoriginal Kurokage was I imagine he would've been changed to Armored Rider ShadowDark or something equally corny.

It's a good singular change for that one joke. That occurs once. Of course at the time you don't know if it's going to be a continuing joke or a one-off. Or if Kurokage will also be made fun of as you pointed out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not even really an issue because Gridon is like never referred to by name after that point. He's hardly in the series at all.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Dante Logos posted:

No, the dumbest reason is always the translation of Sendoku to Wärring. The weeping and wailing of spergs for that choice was interesting.

gently caress them, it gave us the amazing name of Warren Statesman. I want to name my child Warren Statesman, it's that good.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

jivjov posted:

Isn't the v2 batch of Gaim going to have wärring changed back to Sengoku?

Magenta has stated that such a thing is likely, since when the Wärring Driver was named they didn't know that it was going to be named after Professor Ryouma, and translating names is something you usually avoid.

Personally I think Ornac fits not only because of pun-for-pun translation but because Acorn is a Western-style lockseed like Banana/Mango/etc. and so Ornac having a Western-style name like Baron and Kurokage being in Japanese like Gaim(u) makes sense from that perspective.

(It would also fit to translate Ryugen's name into Chinese as Longxuan, by this perspective)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Burkion posted:

I do have to admit to finding it mildly humorus that what got me shoved in it first was an off hand reference to a 'true Kamen Rider' design VS what we have now...

When the up coming Mach looks MORE traditional to the old school look than Black! Scarfs ahoy!

I'm still maintaining the view that Drive isn't Neo Heisei

It's neo SHOWA, and that's what the production team has said about it, just without that nickname.

Also, TQG is goo if only for Conductor, Ticket, Akira, and Zed. Sixes continue to be the best part of the series, if only because Akira is in some way Nega Ucchy, in that he's a badass under a layer of dork under a layer of badass, and Ucchy wears his heart on his sleeve, along with his rad jacket.

Plus that goddamn harmonica theme he plays.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching Kakuranger lately and an ep I watched last night involved the white ninja lady ranger using ninja magic to turn herself into a giant hamburger as a strategy to defeat the monster. Sentai being really dumb owns basically is what I am saying.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm still maintaining the view that Drive isn't Neo Heisei

It's neo SHOWA, and that's what the production team has said about it, just without that nickname.

No.

I'm not even sure if I should elaborate on this, beyond the fact that I really do not like the term Neo Heisei to refer to this grouping of series, as it's all just Heisei and this is just the newer era. Something about the cutesy term just rubs me the wrong way.

Irregardless- Drive is not Neo Showa. Bullshit. Let's not even try to define what Showa Kamen Rider means, though I can- Drive is VERY easily a product of its time.

It's like if Wizard and Double had a baby. There is nothing like the Showa era in this. Nothing I can spy anyways that hasn't been more overwhelmingly in more recent shows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

It's like if Wizard and Double had a baby.

Nah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's got a lot of echos of Wizard in it actually. Especially the way the fight went with him testing out all of his forms. The rest of it is pretty Double.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Not as stupid as Kagura and Mio sharing the Hyper Ressha powerup.

Uhh, they're GIRLS. They can't have a super form by themselves :rolleyes:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

It's got a lot of echos of Wizard in it actually. Especially the way the fight went with him testing out all of his forms. The rest of it is pretty Double.

A list of other recent rider shows that have featured the hero testing out basic form changes in the first episode: Everything since W that isn't Gaim. This isn't some Wizard exclusive thing it's them showing off the toys and they've been doing it since W as a way to get the idea across that they're not just gimmicks to sell toys, they're useful abilities that he'll continue to have and use as the shoe goes on.

They're totally just to sell toys though.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Am I the only one who likes the Post Geki/Post Decade constant bombardment of new forms, mechs, and powerups? I mean, I like that it's not just the initial team's stuff, Six's stuff. maybe a super mode or something. I like seeing the team get stronger THROUGHOUT the series, and get new powers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Am I the only one who likes the Post Geki/Post Decade constant bombardment of new forms, mechs, and powerups? I mean, I like that it's not just the initial team's stuff, Six's stuff. maybe a super mode or something. I like seeing the team get stronger THROUGHOUT the series, and get new powers.

I don't really like new forms if they don't feel like they have a coherent purpose. W really hits the sweet spot there. The original 3x3 forms were great because they allowed for 9 different variations but each felt distinctive and cool, and the new forms they introduced had distinctive purposes. (Fang allowed Philip's body to take control, Joker was when no Philip was around and Xtreme was powered up.)

My problem with everything since W is that it mostly feels like "here are a million loving things, half of which are useless or used exactly once and then forgotten about."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

I like it more in Sentai because they seem better at pacing things out and varying things up enough that it all feels worth the effort of introducing stuff. KR though is like, hey, remember those three times in 40-something episodes that Kouta used the Strawberry Lockseed? Remember the 50% of Fourze switches that got used once for 30 seconds?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Fourze is probably the worst about it because there were a bunch of switches that were pretty much used once and then never again. Wizard for all its flaws didn't do too badly I think, but that's mostly because Drago Time allowed him to use the three copies so in essence he was using his alternate forms pretty regularly. Once he got Infinity that stopped for the most part, but it's pretty common for Riders to just use the super form once they get it. I think the major exceptions are Faiz, where Blaster was underused as hell, and OOO since he lost the medals needed for TaJaDor after a few episodes.

But yeah Gaim was pretty bad too, he almost never used Strawberry or Pineapple, though in the case of the latter that's a blessing since Pineapple was probably the worst looking suit due to the armor flopping around constantly. Melon was also pretty scarce, but that was almost certainly due to budget reasons.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually really, really hate the constant form upgrades. Most of the time they don't actually feel anymore powerful for having got them, new forms mean more stock footage usage (at least in the first two or three times, which since there are more of them to go through...,) they often look a lot uglier than the base forms and often include downright awful CGI.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 11, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fourze is probably the worst about it because there were a bunch of switches that were pretty much used once and then never again.

Fourze very pointedly used all the switches a couple of times

Granted, that's not saying much (some stuff was maybe used two or three times, with two of those being "USE ALL THE SWITCHES" scenes), but when you consider he had 40 little stupid doodads with unique gimmicks, it's a pretty remarkable accomplishment, and made for some nigh-Jackie Chan levels of "a bunch of crazy poo poo is happening" fights

Which is part of why I'm kind of down on Gaim, actually: The different weapons were kinda... I mean, what purpose did the serve? It's not like Kouta was a master martial artist so he couldn't exactly capitalize on the versatility of it all. Plus, once the Sonic Arrow shows up, NOBODY USES ANYTHING ELSE (even for melee) until the DJ Gun shows up. Fourze may have had a lot more barely used bullshit, but using the pen switch once to create weird brush stroke-based shields was cooler than the hypothetical superspeed the Cherry Energy Lockseed had

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Worst case of one-and-done powerup was Sid's bitchin' cool S Lockseed. I wanted to see that thing more.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

JINBA MELON, YOU FUCKS

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ZANGETSU SHIN JINBA MELON

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I have now watched the first episode of Drive. I really like the design, the belt and the kick. still not quite sold on the cars gimmick but I think I will still pick up the belt and the first shift cars set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Well, this happened.

• Locked thread