Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Stupid operation icestorm is taking so long to get here I started trying to speed through some old JSA I had laying around to get some demo models painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that the pre-order mini is bad.

VVV

THATS where I've seen it before, I couldn't put my finger on it.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 10, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I still think the pre-order mini looks like a Rob Liefeld drawing, but in miniature form.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I wasn't too hot on the pre-order model. Although once I realized it was in mobile brigada armor I liked it more, since the dudebro bulk factor seems less excessive when remembering it is HI.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Sorry about those tram minis. Hope you weren't just bringing them to play with me :sweatdrop:. Guess I'll drop in another time with my own guys.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Sorry about those tram minis. Hope you weren't just bringing them to play with me :sweatdrop:. Guess I'll drop in another time with my own guys.

I was, but it was my own inattentiveness. I have, however, been generously offered an Ariadna army to bring in to use for intro games in the interim before they can be replaced. I'll have that either tomorrow or next Friday, and I'm still more than happy to talk shop tonight!

e: Also, one of our regulars is here and has volunteered his minis for introductory goodness.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Going to jump on the train now, I assume you guys are there till close? Time to get my ARO on.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
War Foot, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your models. It must be heartbreaking. I really hope the tram company finds them and gets them back to you asap.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Thanks for the support, guys. :) It was really encouraging to find that when I got home, I HADN'T packed Ajax and Petheselia into the case yet, so they survived the purge in the way only Impetuous models can.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So nobody seems to be talking about the fact that there are 275 pages in just the new rulebook alone.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

So nobody seems to be talking about the fact that there are 275 pages in just the new rulebook alone.
New book gonna own. That's all there is to be said.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I have ordered mine through Underground Wargaming here in Australia. Hope they're a reputable group of guys, as the books aren't going to be delivered until December. Anyone in Australia used them before? I mainly use Slave to Painting or The Combat Company.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

They're fine. Ordered Icestorm from them and it came a little later than Cc folk got theirs, but no issues.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

I have ordered mine through Underground Wargaming here in Australia. Hope they're a reputable group of guys, as the books aren't going to be delivered until December. Anyone in Australia used them before? I mainly use Slave to Painting or The Combat Company.

I have ordered all my stuff through them they are great guys.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm thinking of giving this game a try, so I'm going to split the Icestorm box with a friend. I'm going with the Nomads, I like their general feel. Anything I should know? What should I get? (I'm going to receive models from another pal who's ditching the faction, too, but I don't know what he has).

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Someone recommended the corregidor starter as a good addition to the OpIce nomad minis, but bear in mind I've played a whole single game of infinity.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

I'm thinking of giving this game a try, so I'm going to split the Icestorm box with a friend. I'm going with the Nomads, I like their general feel. Anything I should know? What should I get? (I'm going to receive models from another pal who's ditching the faction, too, but I don't know what he has).

Factions can be played either as vanilla (pick from all models) or sectorials (pick from a limited selection, which have increased AVA, able to link certain units into link teams). In Nomads, all units fit into 1 of 3 sectorials, the 3 Nomad motherships. That's except the remotes, which are utility units available to all factions.

Nomad starter (ie the Icestorm bit) Sectorial division is: 3 alguaciles, 1 mobile brigada [Corregidor], Spektr and Grenzer [Tunguska] and Reverend Healer [Bakunin]. Please note that the Tunguska units are not actually a sectorial yet, they are predicted to get more unit profiles and sectorial rules next year, in the new rulebook and/or next campaign book.

Basically, you can either decide to build a sectorial army, in which case the bakunin or corregidor boxes are great starting points, or stick with vanilla and just get random blisters you like the look of.

Important units are:
Line infantry, current nomad options are Bakunin moderators and Corregidor alguaciles. You will find yourself often wanting at least a couple of either in your lists, to provide numbers.
Infiltrators/camo units, people take these to deploy forward, shock the enemy and surprise him. Bakunin and Tunguska have more than Corregidor.
AD troops, again, to give some surprise and get in your opponent's deployment. These are all Corregidor atm.
Heavy hitters: Corregidor and Bakunin have HI models, all 3 sectorials have a TAG, Corregidor actually has 2 lighter types rather than any full-on TAG.
Elite MI: very much Nomad's thing, Bakunin fields several types from the Observance, all linkable. Corregidor has the fearsome intruders and the workmanlike wildcats. Nomads' combat remotes are also pretty handy offensive pieces.

Hope that helps, basically look at all the models and if you find yourself drawn to either Bakunin or Corregidor consider focussing on one. Tunguska is not really a full choice yet. Remember that you can always use vanilla to bring in other models. Eg I have a corregidor army. But, although I have too many of their units to use, say, all of my Intruders in a vanilla list [AVA in corregidor is 5, AVA 2 in vanilla] I do have a number of Bakunin and TUnguska infiltrators, and sometimes play a camo-heavy list using those with my few infiltrating/camo Corregidor units.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

For Nomads, one thing to consider is that Corregidor has had most of their miniatures re-sculpted or are up to date at this point.

Right now the only things straight up missing are the sniper rifle hellcat and hacking device wildcat. With the upcoming 4 model Alguaciles support pack we might actually have models for all of the line infantry options, which is a complete shocker. The intruder with HMG is still the hideous old version, but presumably that will get re-done, because you know, HMG. Carlotta and the Moran Maasai models are old, but not egregiously so.

The Bakunin models are mostly all there, and mostly look pretty decent even if they use the old weapons. Moderators don't have a HD or light grenade launcher option (although the marker option is pretty easy to convert to a LGL). The Reverend Moiras don't have their light grenade launcher option (although they do have a 'holding a CCW so it could be ~anything~' option), sin eaters don't have their spitfire option, nor is there a prowler with boarding shotgun. The real egregious issue with the Bakunin line is the zeros. They really look old and bad compared to the new stuff and even compared to the other Bakunin stuff, in addition to not having their boarding shotgun or sniper rifle options. Hopefully they get re-done as a box.

The Tunguska model line is a total train wreck right now. They don't have their stuff, or the stuff they do have looks terrible. The upside of that though is that means they will be getting lots of new models at the new higher standard of quality that CB is putting out. Can not wait for the Szalamandra resculpt (because seriously, it looks like total poo poo compared to their current standard).

I'd say get whatever you like the look of, because who knows how N3 will shake out rules wise, and how stat lines and weapon options will change (some of the current 'missing options' might not even BE options in N3). We don't know the rules, and like every miniature game ever, even after people see the rules on paper they will have to play a number of games before they really appreciate/understand the changes (like when Cygnar players were QQing about gun mages being bad at the start of MK2 because on paper the B13 was a better buy... when in practice they basically don't step on each others feet at all and are both great buys).

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Some more progress on my JSA.

Still need to do some stuff like the faces, adding blacklining, and the metal,

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Niiice, love to see people posting more mdoels, keep it up dude. :)

Somethings from N3:
Impetuous: Impetuous troops no longer get the benefits (+3 ARM, -3 BS) of cover when in partial cover.

Template weapons: No more negative modifiers when dodging a template weapon if you have LoF to the model shooting you. If you don't have LoF but are hit by the template you can try to dodge it with a -3 to your PH.

Smoke/MSV combo: Will kinda work like the new surprise attack but with a -6 BS to shoot back. The difference is that dodging is not effected by the smoke. It's just a flat PH roll to dodge that attack coming through that smoke.

Carlos also talked about bikes. Since they are basically vehicles they don't get the bonuses from partial cover either.'

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Whoa, impetuous not getting cover sounds pretty huge.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Whoa, impetuous not getting cover sounds pretty huge.

I'm guessing Impetuous is coming with a pretty significant cost cut to Impetuous units and/or some big bonuses to make up for that?

Because Achilles not getting benefits from cover is one thing, but some random Myrmidon or whatever having to do impetuous things and not gaining cover penalties is another.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MJ12 posted:

I'm guessing Impetuous is coming with a pretty significant cost cut to Impetuous units and/or some big bonuses to make up for that?

Because Achilles not getting benefits from cover is one thing, but some random Myrmidon or whatever having to do impetuous things and not gaining cover penalties is another.

Or a whole pano army no longer getting cover because Joan shot a guy.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, point cost revisions are coming for a lot of things but to the extent I'm not entirely sure.

With how Loss of Lt changed so drastically I can imagine parts of Impetuous changing as well, so always keep that in mind.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Cyclomatic posted:

N3 is up for pre-order on the warstore and some other sites now.

275 pages of rules. loving hell. That doesnt bode well for clarity and complexity surely.
And that price. FFFFFFFF

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Serotonin posted:

275 pages of rules. loving hell. That doesnt bode well for clarity and complexity surely.
And that price. FFFFFFFF

What's wrong with the price? $65 for the only book(s) you'll need; no army books, no data slates. It isn't cheap, but it isn't criminal.

Can't really comment on the rules clarity though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

What's wrong with the price? $65 for the only book(s) you'll need; no army books, no data slates. It isn't cheap, but it isn't criminal.

Can't really comment on the rules clarity though.

Its massively expensive compared to similar rule books. Wamrachine is £20 in softback RRP, Malifaux £28 rrp, Infinity 3rd edition is £50 rrp. Nice big coffee table style hardback historical rule books such as Black Powder or Bolt action (that might be softback) are only £25.
I get at this point it will be the only book you need (until the next book) but its still double the price of its competitors. I think it will put people off big time.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

It is 445 pages total between the two books.

I'm assuming that the model entries are in the rules book so that likely eats a ton of page space in the rulebook. It sounds like they were putting art in for every single entry.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The rulebook is also a total luxury item since, IIRC, they're still going to put the rules on the site for free and the army builder is where the "official" stats for models live.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cyclomatic posted:

It is 445 pages total between the two books.

I'm assuming that the model entries are in the rules book so that likely eats a ton of page space in the rulebook. It sounds like they were putting art in for every single entry.

I was hoping that was the case because otheriwse, 225 pages of rules. Man.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Swagger Dagger posted:

The rulebook is also a total luxury item since, IIRC, they're still going to put the rules on the site for free and the army builder is where the "official" stats for models live.

Is that still going to be the case? I hope so anyway.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Its massively expensive compared to similar rule books. Wamrachine is £20 in softback RRP, Malifaux £28 rrp, Infinity 3rd edition is £50 rrp. Nice big coffee table style hardback historical rule books such as Black Powder or Bolt action (that might be softback) are only £25.
I get at this point it will be the only book you need (until the next book) but its still double the price of its competitors. I think it will put people off big time.

I guess you are right. Having just shed GW as my primary table top war game, any pricing seems reasonable.

But as stated above, you will still probably be able to get the rules for free online.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The rules have always been available online for free, this book will be no exception.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

It is expensive. Just shy of 18 cents a page, while Crossroads for Malifaux is a bit over 14 cents a page. The difference doesn't seem egregious though, nor is it twice the price. If they didn't have it printed in China, then that explains it.

I'm almost positive that I heard an interview with Carlos talking about the book and reiterating that the rules will always be available in electronic form.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm assuming that the model entries are in the rules book so that likely eats a ton of page space in the rulebook.
Probably not, they said they were moving to the digital builder as the official source of stats.

Cyclomatic posted:

If they didn't have it printed in China, then that explains it.
They didn't, IIRC it's still being done by Diacash (Spanish company).

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Having paid GW prices for so many years, I am fine with the cost of these books. I got mine for $75AUD including postage, which is less than a single hardback Warhammer Armies book. Plus a miniature I can use as a Mobile Brigada for Qapu Khalqi when I get around to playing Haqqislam.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah maybe I have Hobby Stockholm Syndrome or something but 65 bucks seems like a fair price to me for what it is.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah maybe I have Hobby Stockholm Syndrome or something but 65 bucks seems like a fair price to me for what it is.

Prices creep up because they see what GW are getting away with.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Serotonin posted:

Prices creep up because they see what GW are getting away with.

GW core rule books are like 80 bucks or so, and that is one of several books you need to buy to play the game. Model stats aren't free, and are often split over multiple books. 65 bucks once per edition is not even close to that. And as someone else said, you don't even need to buy it to play. It's a complete optional luxury, the equivalent of collectors editions of other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

GW core rule books are like 80 bucks or so, and that is one of several books you need to buy to play the game. Model stats aren't free, and are often split over multiple books. 65 bucks once per edition is not even close to that. And as someone else said, you don't even need to buy it to play. It's a complete optional luxury, the equivalent of collectors editions of other games.

And don't forget, GW luxury editions are well above the $80 you mentioned.

• Locked thread