Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

cams posted:

Conversations about who is and is not funny are great.

Speak on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tnimark posted:

Speak on that.
I just think it is super brave to acknowledge that humor is entirely subjective but then still get into arguments about who is and is not funny. It really takes a lot of courage to step up and say, "You know what? People need to know that this person isn't actually funny."

Beeez
May 28, 2012
He's a man in his forties who still refers to penises as "wieners". Funny or not, he's kind of the worst.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Beeez posted:

He's a man in his forties who still refers to penises as "wieners". Funny or not, he's kind of the worst.
That's really brave of you to say. I know we were all thinking it. What do you think about Louis CK's use of the word "oval office"?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

cams posted:

That's really brave of you to say. I know we were all thinking it. What do you think about Louis CK's use of the word "oval office"?

thats edgy, friend

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

cams posted:

I just think it is super brave to acknowledge that humor is entirely subjective but then still get into arguments about who is and is not funny. It really takes a lot of courage to step up and say, "You know what? People need to know that this person isn't actually funny."

Are you having a hard day, champ? What's got you down?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Adam Scott Aukerman are men in their forties and they (correctly) thinks it's hilarious to discuss the prospect of U2 releasing an album called 'Poop'.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Are you having a hard day, champ? What's got you down?
I'm actually havin a great day, my life is pretty dope right now. I just have a real pet peeve for people earnestly discussing what is and is not funny. Sure you can say "I am just saying I don't care for it", but then... who gives a poo poo? Who the gently caress wants to have a conversation like that?

"Hey, I don't think this person is funny. Thoughts?"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

cams posted:

I'm actually havin a great day, my life is pretty dope right now. I just have a real pet peeve for people earnestly discussing what is and is not funny. Sure you can say "I am just saying I don't care for it", but then... who gives a poo poo? Who the gently caress wants to have a conversation like that?

I don't know a lot of people IRL who enjoy the comedians that are regularly on the podcast circuit, so I was curious if other people like Hardwick (or Pete Holmes). Then I got a sampling of posters telling me what they thought, and I found it interesting. I don't think it's worth wigging out about man.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cams posted:

It must be awful talking about music with you. No one can say anything other than "that is a band" or "they released an album" as passing judgement on it would be "subjective".

Really though, that's the whole point of talking about movies and music and comedy. I mean, why talk about any of this stuff if it's not to form tastes and to say, exactly, "Hey, I don't think this person is funny. Thoughts?" What should this thread be, us just recalling who the week's guests are? Or is it ok to talk positive, like "this was a great episode", but not if it's negative?

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 9, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

It must be awful talking about music with you. No one can say anything other than "that is a band" or "they released an album" as passing judgement on it would be "subjective".
Oh no I have absolutely no problem discussing which music is or is not good. For instance, The White Stripes are good.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I gotcha, this is unique to comedy.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I like Chris Hardwick on Talking Bad and Talking Dead, he's ok on @midnight but I'm not gonna hit up his podcast. He seems like the bad kind of nerd.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
imo the best way to look at disagreements about comedy is that the people who agree with you are in on something special and the people who disagree are too dumb to understand. You should be reveling in your superiority to us idiots right now, cams

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

tnimark posted:

Adam Scott Aukerman are men in their forties and they (correctly) thinks it's hilarious to discuss the prospect of U2 releasing an album called 'Poop'.

Still waiting on that Dicks & Buttholes Supercut, Scott :mad:

cams posted:

What do you think about Louis CK's use of the word "oval office"?

"Boy, he hates those kids, huh?"

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggy posted:

imo the best way to look at disagreements about comedy is that the people who agree with you are in on something special and the people who disagree are too dumb to understand. You should be reveling in your superiority to us idiots right now, cams

I genuinely feel this way about HH.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Sometimes I feel bad when Hayes and Sean dump on the engineers even in jest but I loved how they immediately shut down Engineer Cody for his button to that joke.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

moot the hopple posted:

Sometimes I feel bad when Hayes and Sean dump on the engineers even in jest but I loved how they immediately shut down Engineer Cody for his button to that joke.

I think between the HH boys and Two Charted the Engineers have gotten real used to speaking as they are guests. It's funny when Scott put them in their place on Bang Bang.

"Oh, no-no. Don't need to reach for a mic!" Says Scott after every yes or no question to an Engineer.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's about time for an "Earwolf Presents: Behind the Mixing Board" where Brett, Sam and Cody* can just commiserate about being treated like poo poo week in and week out as well as dish dirt on all the hosts.

*Baba Booey

Beeez
May 28, 2012

cams posted:

And you were so brave in this post when you made the exact same "snarky" joke you just made to the other guy. It's so nice to find people who can communicate their feelings like you can.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The engineers were at their best when Hayes and Sean threw them into a bit and they floundered

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

cams posted:

Lmao

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't know if U Talkin' U2 To Me? has ruined or elevated the phrase "It's been awhile" for me, but it has been said 3 times over the course of the episodes of a show that I've been watching tonight, and every time I couldn't resist singing it.

(The show that I'm watching has been having a lot of characters who haven't seen each other in awhile meet up again, but seriously, this is getting ridiculous.)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yo thread, anyone listen to the cracked podcast? Had an opportunity to listen to a ton of it a few weeks ago on a commute to vegas and it's entertaining.

Also, the best movies in the world are monster squad and space jam.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Groucho Marxist posted:

The engineers were at their best when Hayes and Sean threw them into a bit and they floundered

He lives in a world where books don't exist?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm madly in love with Wild Horses. They really need to start a book club podcast.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lauren Lapkus tweeted a video of one of their live shows a while back and it's really good

http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/artists/?entity_id=198207&source_type=B

They come on like 30 minutes in I think

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Beeez posted:

And you were so brave in this post when you made the exact same "snarky" joke you just made to the other guy. It's so nice to find people who can communicate their feelings like you can.
Tell me more about how funny you think I am.

But seriously folks, shouldn't we have more U Talkin U2 2 Me at this point? I thought they were aiming for a few more weeks of episodes.

cams fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think they promised episodes as and when they can, but then Scott had to run off to film more CBB TV the next day so I'm not expecting anything soon.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Lauren Lapkus tweeted a video of one of their live shows a while back and it's really good

I really wanted to go to this, but I couldn't get off work in time :(

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Help Im Alive posted:

Wow, that was all one scene and was loving hilarious.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I had a lot of time on campus today so I went back and listened to the Armen Weitzman episodes of Who Charted. I really love them. Armen Weitzman is one of the saddest human beings alive and listening to the saga ending with Besser just DESTROYING him for over an hour is a great experience.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If Adam Sachs is still reading this, you ever think about a 3rd show called Bro Charted? with just Kremer and Stard? Kulap is the best, but the episode of Twooch from a month ago where Kulap left early for an audition was really good. I liked the energy (and I'm greedy and want three shows a week).

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

If Adam Sachs is still reading this give me a podcast.

Thank you.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yo can I have some of that Hardwick money? I'm way less funny and likable.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

We can all agree Matt Mira is completely unfunny though, right? He seems like a sweet guy. Not funny in the least.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Conduit for Sale! posted:

We can all agree Matt Mira is completely unfunny though, right? He seems like a sweet guy. Not funny in the least.

He does this thing on James Bonding that drives me nuts, where he'll make some dumb joke and immediately bury it by going UHHHHH anyway.

He's a riff killer extraordinaire.

jialiangzhong
Jan 29, 2006
smile
The latest Wild Horses episode is one of the funniest I4H shows I've ever heard.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Stephanie Allyne is really on fire. She was fantastic on the PFT I4H episode, especially the Lil Nate my little pony scene, which is one of my favorite scenes of all time. She's really great on this show too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Adam Sachs got that sweet sweet Nerdist money and left us in the cold #riot #podcastboycott

e: I don't want to live in a world where Yo Is This Racist is more popular than Hollywood Handbook (unless it was a joke)