Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm going to try to refrain from commenting on entries so not to steer things but I'm liking what I've seen so far!

Shoeless posted:

What is this deli you guys speak of? It sounds fantastic. I love me a good sandwich, I must know.

Nardelli's Grinder Shoppe in Western CT. It's really good. The prices seem steep until you see the sandwiches and realize how gigantic they are. It's a dumb thing to love but two of my college friends grew up with them and talked about it like it was a religious experience. After a year of hearing stories I finally had one and fell in love.

http://www.nardellis.com/home.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If we're going to have weird Sonic-related videos, let's make it wholesome weird Sonic-related videos for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzAG7AXpgJg

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Kale the Super

Kale is 3/4ths dragon, 3/16ths hedgehog, 3/64ths echidna, 3/256ths Saiyajin, 3/1024ths Gundam and 1/1024th mermaid, with a power level of 6,440,002 in his base state, which is also his lucky number which he used to win the lottery on hsi eiteenth birdthday. Using anceint sorcery, his parents fused the dragon balls with the chaos emerelds, making the DARK CHAOS DRAGON JEWELS.

Now, his story might be interesting, but what's really important is the detailed backstories of all of his ancestors for ten generations back, which I'll be posting one a day for the next six years. (Here's a sneak preview--neither of his parents are full dragons, but one doens't noe that!!)

Kale's Fighting Powers:
- Kamehameha
- chaos control
- mega dragon form
- super Saiya-Jin 1
- super saiya-Jin 2
- mega dragon saiyajin form
- omnislash
- wolf form
- Black chaos burst
- Energy sword
- fast punches
- MORE TO COME!!

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that we're going down into these levels of depravity, I feel compelled to share the Hedgehog Song (based on the Discworld novels).

Lyrics :nws:, depending on your colleagues' sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnkBX8Db80

Uh what kind of humour do you mean? I live with some people and depending on what sort it is the time at which i'll listen to it will be different as to avoid any problem it might potentially cause if i was seen listening to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair the thing about the Hedgehog Song is that it doesn't really have a canon form. I've heard far, far worse renditions.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it okay to post sonic games music? I wanted to share what i think is the best Classic Sonic music.

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 11, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sramaker posted:

Uh what kind of humour do you mean? I live with some people and depending on what sort it is the time at which i'll listen to it will be different as to avoid any problem it might potentially cause if i was seen listening to it.

It's a folk song about bestiality with a refrain of "the hedgehog can never be buggered at all." One of Nanny Ogg's songs of choice when drunk (the other one being "a wizard's staff has a knob on the end").

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bruceski posted:

It's a folk song about bestiality with a refrain of "the hedgehog can never be buggered at all." One of Nanny Ogg's songs of choice when drunk (the other one being "a wizard's staff has a knob on the end").

Uh i think i won't watch, it's not the sort of humor that interest me.

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 11, 2014

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Here's a simple formula for a Sonic character if anyone is having trouble:

1. Pick a random fighter from Dragonball Z. Use this as the basis of the character's personality. Model his relationship with Sonic after the DBZ character's relationship with Goku.
2. Pick a random animal, preferably a mammal or marsupial. Give it a color that it would never have in nature.
3. Choose one power, weapon, or skill from a Marvel or DC superhero to give to your character. Invent a sonic universe reason for why this exists.
4. Pick a name that is one or two syllables and add "the [animal]" to it.
5. Put your favorite sporty pair of shoes on them. Optionally add a few other fashion accessories, but not a full set of clothes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Panzerschwein posted:

Here's a simple formula for a Sonic character if anyone is having trouble:

1. Pick a random fighter from Dragonball Z. Use this as the basis of the character's personality. Model his relationship with Sonic after the DBZ character's relationship with Goku.
2. Pick a random animal, preferably a mammal or marsupial. Give it a color that it would never have in nature.
3. Choose one power, weapon, or skill from a Marvel or DC superhero to give to your character. Invent a sonic universe reason for why this exists.
4. Pick a name that is one or two syllables and add "the [animal]" to it.
5. Put your favorite sporty pair of shoes on them. Optionally add a few other fashion accessories, but not a full set of clothes.
This sloth based on Mr. Popo whose power is a Hulk-like rage when he smokes marijuana is turning out a little racist, but he looks great in those Air Jordans.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Hey, MassRafTer, for some reason update 20 doesn't want to load for me on any browser I use, despite every other update working fine. Is there any way you can reupload it and see if that fixes it? I want to catch up to the pain.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sails The Fox

Sails is the son of Sonic and Tails (as an explanation for how this transpired check my fanfic, 'A Tailsformative Morning') who inherited Sonic's speed and heroism along with Tails technical know-how and also heroism. He's a pirate who sails the seas (and the skies after the events of my fanfic, 'Sails of Arcadia') of Mobius on board his AIRship The Whirlpool Mk X, fighting the Egg Empire to protect the animal denizens. His crew tends to change a lot, but always at his side are Tonic The Hedgehog the herbalist and Crackles The Skeletal Echidna.

His nemesis/love interest is Emmy the Hedgehog. She first appears in my fanfic, 'The Emerald Ship', where she is a very beautiful pirate captain who likes to board merchant vessels and rob them of everything they own, thus breaking the #1 Rule of the Pirate Code. But as time goes on her relationship with Sails develops until reaching the climax in my fanfic, 'A Tsunami of Emotions'.

They have 3 children together, Rails The Fox (the oldest), Phonic The Hedgehog, and Julie (the youngest). You can read about them in my fanfic, 'A Family on the High Seas'.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Nardelli's Grinder Shoppe in Western CT. It's really good. The prices seem steep until you see the sandwiches and realize how gigantic they are. It's a dumb thing to love but two of my college friends grew up with them and talked about it like it was a religious experience. After a year of hearing stories I finally had one and fell in love.

http://www.nardellis.com/home.html

The New Yorker in me smiles at the sight of a good deli. Excellent, if I'm ever in CT I know where to get a sandwich.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now that we're going down into these levels of depravity, I feel compelled to share the Hedgehog Song (based on the Discworld novels).

Lyrics :nws:, depending on your colleagues' sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUnkBX8Db80

Is there one for "A wizard's staff has a knob on the end"?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fukkit the Sloth

No image because no one has ever seen him and realised it wasn't a mossy branch.

Friends: Food.
Enemies: No food.
Special powers: Incredibly slow. What Sonic is to speed, Fukkit is to staying immobile.
Strengths: Has no perception of time outside of belly rumbling. That time line where Iblis unleashed the fires of hell on the planet was merely a warm evening.
Weaknesses: Food.

Fukkit was in the right place and at the right time to stop every evil plan in history but was systematically too absorbed with food, thus giving the heroes a chance to be heroes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Malice the Hedgedragon

Malice was born centuries ago in the same magic ritual that created the Chaos Emeralds. However, he only existed as an energy being until he possessed an anti-hero dragon that was really into heavy metal back in those ancient days. Every year he grew stronger and stronger until he was so totally powerful he was able to merge himself with the ancestor of superpowered hedgehogs, thus becoming the superevil but superawesome being known as Malice the Hedgedragon.

Friends: No one
Enemies: Everyone
Special powers: Everything, flight, fire breath, immortality, ability to destroy the world at a moment's notice, everything
Weaknesses: None, water
Dislikes: Everything else, happiness

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is painful, guys. Why would you make a suicide pact as a thread contest?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sorry everybody, we've got one more Shadow video. It's a very important video as we must save an archaeologist who might have the key to the scepter of darkness. You know, that thing we just left in the past and then shattered in an old castle? (although we did that first in our timeline) It's somewhere else now for some reason. Then we have important GUN work to do!

Part 31 (Archaeology): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiAbhSxuWpQ

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bruceski posted:

This is painful, guys. Why would you make a suicide pact as a thread contest?

Because then you don't need to pay the winner.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sramaker posted:

Is it okay to post sonic games music? I wanted to share what i think is the best Classic Sonic music.

As long as it doesn't break any forums rules, sure.

Gyre posted:

Hey, MassRafTer, for some reason update 20 doesn't want to load for me on any browser I use, despite every other update working fine. Is there any way you can reupload it and see if that fixes it? I want to catch up to the pain.

I'll try to reupload it tonight.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Has anyone ever tried to explain the technical problems of this game like slowdown, long/frequent loading screens? I know one of the things that requires a loading screen is to spawn stuff, but why can't the engine spawn new objects without reloading the whole map? In a 360 game, of all things.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I figured the reason for the slowdown is that this game came out at a time where it was important to have a constant framerate, so it achieves keeping a constant framerate by slowing the game down during high load instead of letting the framerate drop. :shrug:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The first boy you talked to was called 'Girl'. The second one was called 'Boy'. I wish I was kidding.

E: Hey, have we seen that mechanic with collectable objects that disappear when you get them before? Except for rings, I mean.

Because it seems to me that the developers might've been planning to have the key as a collectible in a lot of levels, perhaps instead of door-opening switches. That's not what happened, so these things were removed from the game, except in this sidequest.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

tlarn posted:

I figured the reason for the slowdown is that this game came out at a time where it was important to have a constant framerate, so it achieves keeping a constant framerate by slowing the game down during high load instead of letting the framerate drop. :shrug:
Yeah, I noticed with the slowdown, the framerate seems to stay smooth making it more like a slow-mo instead of a chuggy jerky framedropped mess.

Also:

I went with an awesome-cool army dude because CoD is still popular with the kids these days right? Also a Garrus eye-piece thing.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

MassRafTer posted:

As long as it doesn't break any forums rules, sure.
Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2mjHHVM8k&list=PL0556F28B74EA99A2&index=4

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tin Hat posted:

Has anyone ever tried to explain the technical problems of this game like slowdown, long/frequent loading screens? I know one of the things that requires a loading screen is to spawn stuff, but why can't the engine spawn new objects without reloading the whole map? In a 360 game, of all things.

If I understand correctly, a solid amount of dev time in a modern game is optimization, since the 360 isn't really all that powerful. So with a game that was rushed to poo poo/horribly unfinished, it's unsurprising that they had to cut most or all of that phase, resulting in horrible framerate issues and load times.
It's also not helped by the fact that they apparently didn't even try to mask the loading at all. In most games there's a lot more loading than you think, it's just that they cover it up much better.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Sonic the Actually a Hedgehog

Powers: Can use quills to defend itself, rolling into a ball, disappointing little Timmy when he realizes what hedgehogs actually are
Bio: It's a hedgehog. It eats insects. It barfed on Timmy's bed once.
Dislikes: Timmy

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Croccers posted:

Yeah, I noticed with the slowdown, the framerate seems to stay smooth making it more like a slow-mo instead of a chuggy jerky framedropped mess.

It's just v-synced with a default framerate of 60 FPS, so whenever it slows down it's actually dropping down to 30, but you can't tell that on Youtube since that's all 30 anyway. It slows down instead of getting choppy because everything is programmed to advance per rendered frame rather than per unit of time.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

So I came prepared for this challenge because I made parody characters years ago:

This is Team Awesome, who hail from Not Hole Village and defeat the evil Dr. House using the power of teamwork and whatever the gently caress I don't really care. What's important, however, is that I made five really awful games about them, because I had a lot more spare time in 2011 compared to now.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

So I came prepared for this challenge because I made parody characters years ago:

This is Team Awesome, who hail from Not Hole Village and defeat the evil Dr. House using the power of teamwork and whatever the gently caress I don't really care. What's important, however, is that I made five really awful games about them, because I had a lot more spare time in 2011 compared to now.

Do they defeat Dr. House by intercepting and stealing his shipments of Vicodin?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

It took me about an hour, but I beat them all. Can I have an iron-on patch of Team Awesome mailed to me for my achievement?

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I can't wait for someone to enter the contest with their actual lovely Sonic OC they made when they were 13.

I know you're out there.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I know you mentioned the creatively-named "GUN" in one of the more recent episodes, but I think the original "pun" is that "gun" means army in Japanese (which is why there are terms like "Shogun" and such). I know this may be kind of disappointing, but that's 3D Sonic for you.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Edit: Never mind i was stupid.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Shoeless posted:

Do they defeat Dr. House by intercepting and stealing his shipments of Vicodin?

You do actually!

Simsmagic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm not going to consider it an official entry, since I'm cheating a little. Also, did you know Silver was originally going to be orange? :v:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm not going to consider it an official entry, since I'm cheating a little. Also, did you know Silver was originally going to be orange? :v:

That doesn't look very orange to me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I didn't have a chance to reupload this before going out for the weekend so here it is. Part 20 is back.

If you missed Shadow's Flame Core and Iblis you missed some speed run glitches, hubris and other poo poo.

Part 20.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsqEjqOAZtw

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Wait what. They had a character named Silver. And they were going to make him... orange?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Silver the Orange makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'm just going to ruin the joke now: Silver also wasn't supposed to be a hedgehog, or named Silver.

• Locked thread