Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Maybe a small amount of popcorn? Would cast iron be too hot for popcorn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

I think it wouldn't be as easy to or as quick as if you just used stainless steel or aluminum. And a thing that size would literally make three mouthfuls of popcorn, tops.

I know you can, but unless it's the only type of pan you have I wouldn't bother with cast iron for something like that.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

niss posted:

Just scored this from a lady at work. Not sure what I'll use it for but hey, its cast iron and was free.

That's similar to a set I have from sometime in the 1970s - 1980s. Made in Taiwan but unlike the modern stuff the bottoms were machined to finish them.

Season well then use as a pot. Clarify butter, boil eggs, whatever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

You can make one chicken pot pie at a time.

Hey, you can only eat one at a time.

Can you get an english muffin snugly in it? I bet you could use that thing to make egg sandwiches. I had an aluminum pan like that, you could heat the pan first with half the muffin on the bottom, lightly toasting up. Fork that out, grease the pan and cook your ham. Flip it on to the first half of the muffin, then cook your egg with the other half of the muffin on top (left the egg a tiny bit runny, it also cooked what soaked into the bread for super deliciousness). I timed the whole process for one muffin at 8 minutes, very little cleanup.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Paper With Lines posted:

I make all my popcorn in my cast iron skillet. It's great for seasoning it.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I make all my popcorn in my cast iron skillet. It's great for seasoning it.

Really? I make stove top popcorn in a big steel bowl. How do you do it in a relatively shallow pan?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, you can only eat one at a time.

Can you get an english muffin snugly in it? I bet you could use that thing to make egg sandwiches. I had an aluminum pan like that, you could heat the pan first with half the muffin on the bottom, lightly toasting up. Fork that out, grease the pan and cook your ham. Flip it on to the first half of the muffin, then cook your egg with the other half of the muffin on top (left the egg a tiny bit runny, it also cooked what soaked into the bread for super deliciousness). I timed the whole process for one muffin at 8 minutes, very little cleanup.

Thats a great idea, english muffin would fit inside it perfectly. Ill definitely be cleaning it up while I am outside grilling this weekend.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Paper With Lines posted:

Really? I make stove top popcorn in a big steel bowl. How do you do it in a relatively shallow pan?
I put a wire mesh strainer over the top. It's large and rounded so it leaves plenty of room for the popcorn to pop up. It's also nice because it doesn't trap steam like a pot lid does, so the popcorn stays crispy.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
Have the day off. What should I cook in my 12in. skillet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bachelard rear end posted:

Eggs, eggs, and more eggs. Why aren't you cooking eggs now?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bachelard rear end posted:

http://seriouseats.com/2014/09/cast-iron-pull-apart-pepperoni-garlic-knots.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BABIES

Dutch Babies.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dutch-baby-recipe0.html

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Noooooo, that looks too good. I'm fat enough dammit. Now I gotta try that.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

I made one of these for the first time last week. It was pretty good.

drat, I'm going to have to try those garlic knots.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Captainsalami posted:

Noooooo, that looks too good. I'm fat enough dammit. Now I gotta try that.

Whenever someone posts a recipe like that one, somewhere in the back of my head Lloyd Bridges from Airplane saying 'Well, I guess I picked the wrong week to stop eating carbs'

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Zhent posted:

Whenever someone posts a recipe like that one, somewhere in the back of my head Lloyd Bridges from Airplane saying 'Well, I guess I picked the wrong week to stop eating carbs'

Yes, I totally hear you there. I look at these pics and then silently curse my blood sugars etc. I may have to just splurge and get it out of my system, though. Maybe if I make one for company then I won't go face first into the whole thing like Cookie Monster....

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Disco Salmon posted:

I won't go face first into the whole thing like Cookie Monster

Why do you hate fun? Delicious, gluttonous fun.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Why do you hate fun? Delicious, gluttonous fun.

Blame my metabolism!! If I could get away with it I would be scarfing down all these things I see in this thread...but if I do I have to pay the piper later and its not fun :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I ordered a 10" Lodge skillet that should be here this afternoon. Should I give it a good heat up/cool down a few times or just use the fucker (for bacon, of course).

e: VVV Easy enough. Maybe I'll have a bacony snack and then use the grease to cook the poo poo out of some chicken thighs for dinner :getin: Also I got this for 15 bucks on Amazon and the cheapest I could find one in a B&M locally was like 30 bucks so if you're looking to pick one up give it a go.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Another layer of your own oven seasoning won't hurt, but just use it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I rendered some fatback and now the seasoning is a bit sticky, how do I fix this?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I rendered some fatback and now the seasoning is a bit sticky, how do I fix this?

Put it in a 450 degree oven for an hour.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well now the house smells pleasantly of bacon. Also that poo poo got so hot it sort of ate one of my plastic utensils :stare: I scraped off the little plastic bit and am letting it cool down completely; already scraped the bacon bits off and wiped it down with a paper towel. And I thought I had some chicken thighs in the freezer but don't, so I'll run to the store in a bit and pick some up. Woo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

Alternatively, wash with soap, dry, rub with oil, put away.

americong
May 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well now the house smells pleasantly of bacon. Also that poo poo got so hot it sort of ate one of my plastic utensils :stare: I scraped off the little plastic bit and am letting it cool down completely; already scraped the bacon bits off and wiped it down with a paper towel. And I thought I had some chicken thighs in the freezer but don't, so I'll run to the store in a bit and pick some up. Woo.

I've always ended up damaging plastic utensils I try to use with a cast iron skillet.

Just get a decent metal tool (or several), it's easier to use them anyways because they're stiffer and you don't have to worry about damaging a nonstick coating.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wood utensils all the way. I steam clean mine, and they're cheap, so you just bury them in the compost pile when they get too manky. Pressed Bamboo is good, you can get a bag of funky spatulas for ten bux.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So, I tried seasoning in the oven with Avocado Oil... there seems to be an issue...

Smoke started pouring out of (the admittedly old) oven. Now it's filled the whole apartment and our eyes are burning. I had to turn the oven off before I really wanted to, but have managed to keep the door closed the whole time. It's still in there now.

Any advice on where I went wrong? I have a 1 year old 12in skillet and a brand new griddle, both from Lodge

(Other oil options available were Olive Oil, EVOO, Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil... at least to hand)

EDIT: oven was on max... I think thats about 500-550F

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 12, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Heners_UK posted:

So, I tried seasoning in the oven with Avocado Oil... there seems to be an issue...

Smoke started pouring out of (the admittedly old) oven. Now it's filled the whole apartment and our eyes are burning. I had to turn the oven off before I really wanted to, but have managed to keep the door closed the whole time. It's still in there now.

Any advice on where I went wrong? I have a 1 year old 12in skillet and a brand new griddle, both from Lodge

(Other oil options available were Olive Oil, EVOO, Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil... at least to hand)

EDIT: oven was on max... I think thats about 500-550F

I'd grab the canola if it were me. I learned that high heat is not a good way to season. You pretty much want to keep it below the smoke point, while allowing the oil to polymerize.

Fun tip: putting a cast iron pan in while the oven is on the clean cycle is a nifty way to get to bare metal. Sure saves wire brushing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Fog Tripper posted:

I'd grab the canola if it were me. I learned that high heat is not a good way to season. You pretty much want to keep it below the smoke point, while allowing the oil to polymerize.

Fun tip: putting a cast iron pan in while the oven is on the clean cycle is a nifty way to get to bare metal. Sure saves wire brushing.

I see... ok... think I should aim around the 400-450 range (looking at advice from earlier in the thread)?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Re-seasoned my skillet with bacon grease and made pancakes the next day. Afterwards, I said "there is literally no reason to wash this," so I wiped it down with a paper towel and put it away.

#CastIronSuccessStories

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Hey quick question for you cast iron gurus out there.

My husband went to Goodwill the other day to drop off some items, and decided to take a quick look around, and found 2 decent looking cast iron fry pans, one is 8" and the other 10". He knew I was wanting to get some eventually, and decided to surprise me with them. He picked them both up for less than 20$ in total :)

So I look at them when he got home and they seem pretty nice! Only thing is they are sticky/tacky feeling to them, like old oil or something. The self clean on my oven is busted and wont work, so that idea of just running them through that cycle is out.

I was thinking about just scrubbing them down well with soap and water, and then re-seasoning them, is that the right thing to do about getting the tackiness off?

EDIT: He says if you all think they need it he can sand them down as well with his dremel.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 13, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

Hey quick question for you cast iron gurus out there.

My husband went to Goodwill the other day to drop off some items, and decided to take a quick look around, and found 2 decent looking cast iron fry pans, one is 8" and the other 10". He knew I was wanting to get some eventually, and decided to surprise me with them. He picked them both up for less than 20$ in total :)

So I look at them when he got home and they seem pretty nice! Only thing is they are sticky/tacky feeling to them, like old oil or something. The self clean on my oven is busted and wont work, so that idea of just running them through that cycle is out.

I was thinking about just scrubbing them down well with soap and water, and then re-seasoning them, is that the right thing to do about getting the tackiness off?

Soap, water, steel wool and elbow grease.

Or attach a wire brush to your drill and go at it. (with proper eye protection)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Awesome thank you! Can't wait to try them out :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is correct; do one of these things.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

IT BURNS posted:

Re-seasoned my skillet with bacon grease and made pancakes the next day. Afterwards, I said "there is literally no reason to wash this," so I wiped it down with a paper towel and put it away.

#CastIronSuccessStories

Whatever you do, don't make that hash tag trend on Twitter. It'll only drive the cost of old cast iron higher.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a preseasoned Lodge 10.5" pan for $20 at Dick's sporting goods. First thing I made was that pepperoni garlic knot recipe posted above. poo poo got real.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

tesilential posted:

I bought a preseasoned Lodge 10.5" pan for $20 at Dick's sporting goods. First thing I made was that pepperoni garlic knot recipe posted above. poo poo got real.

I tried it as well, we found it was too much bread, not enough everything else. I'm going to take another run at it, but mix the ingredients into the bread and add cheese on top post baking. That and drop the temperature.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

add cheese on top post baking.

That's in the recipe iirc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Disco Salmon posted:

Use a copious amount of Dawn, if that can get BP oil off baby ducks it will get oil residue off a pan.

Then just make a couple lbs of bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

Use a copious amount of Dawn, if that can get BP oil off baby ducks it will get oil residue off a pan.

Then just make a couple lbs of bacon.

You don't even need to use that much Dawn. It's super concentrated. I laugh when I see people using these giant squirts of the straight stuff to clean one dish. A dab'll do 'er.

Protip, diluted Dawn is also the best dog shampoo in the world. A lot of professional dog groomer use it. It's what's in those blue gallon bottles you see by the tub, it'll degrease a labrador.

• Locked thread