Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

You guys I've made the world's best RPG. *hands you post it note with "do whatever you want" written on it*

Why did the fighter get the same do-whatever Post-It as my wizard, this is loving bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Anyway, the game the DM arbitrarily declaring "YOU CANNOT REST HERE, EITHER FIND AN INN OR REST OUTSIDE" was always an option if he wanted to spice things up. But I guess in 4e people would have complained that it made everything like a videogame, so we have this brilliant fix to a non-issue with all the problems Really Pants wrote about.

For the 'too easy to heal and rest up' problem, I guess the alleged solution was to remove the universal mechanic that actually put a hard cap on PC healing? :shrug:

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Really Pants posted:

This is supposed to be a good thing?
Actually, thinking back to why I didn't homebrew for 4e, it had nothing to do with the quality of game design, and everything to do with the fact I had official RPGA characters.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Generic Octopus posted:

The battlemaster adding dice to his damage on demand outpaces the champion's crits like whoa. There'd have to be some ridic magic items in there to make it worth.

Magic items that are in no way guaranteed or even choosable by you...!

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Is someone actually working on something like 4e with most of the cruft stripped out, but maybe keep the battle map?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Magic items that are in no way guaranteed or even choosable by you...!

I lump magic items in with feats as things that are technically "optional" that everyone will use...that said I sometimes forget there are people who give their PCs random stuff instead of things they want. Like not in a whiny "I wanted a flame sword and got this lovely ice sword gently caress" way, but a "why the hell did I get a longbow when I use swords and shields!?" way.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ascendance posted:

Is someone actually working on something like 4e with most of the cruft stripped out, but maybe keep the battle map?

Mike Mearls was put in charge of that and he produced essentials which kept all the cruft. So I wouldn't bank on it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Isn't that what Jimbozig's Strike! is supposed to be?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Isn't that what Jimbozig's Strike! is supposed to be?

Oh poo poo yea there you go.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

You guys I've made the world's best RPG. *hands you post it note with "do whatever you want" written on it*

No no, we've been over this, you need some art and rules and stuff too. It doesn't really matter what those are like, but that way people will have to buy your 3 giant rulebooks in order to do whatever they want.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ascendance posted:

Please check out Strike! it is so good.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
My trip report for session 1 isn't all doom and gloom. It felt a lot like playing 3.5 but a bit faster with the flatter math and casters not running out of things to do. The players spent a lot more time in character than normal since there wasn't as much time spent asking me about rules. The barbarian walked right into an ambush that he was told was an ambush but came out of it ok since he did well on his death saving throws. The warlock provoked a level 4 fighter at the end of the session and ended up getting 1 shot by a max damage longbow roll, but again the death mechanic that I vaguely remember coming from 4e kept him from losing his character. They did alright without a healer, though they did take a short rest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ascendance posted:

well, it becomes another situation where the DM just has to make a house rule because the existing rule is stupid. Interesting thought: poor design forces you to take ownership of your own campaign, and make changes to suit the kind of game you want to play. Having a tightly balanced, well constructed discourages people from tinkering.

Otherwise, why would people ever play Rifts?

No. Poor design forces the DM to make house-rules that have no guarantees on actually improving the quality of the game because he's just some guy who doesn't spend all his time designing a good rules because that's not his job.

It's like telling the Fighter "well just roleplay some poo poo to make your turns more interesting than normal attacks all the time!". Okay, so he says he's going to disarm a dude, and the DM makes him undergo a skill check or a Strength opposed roll or whatever. How is the DM supposed to know that it's a good ruling?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ascendance posted:

Actually, thinking back to why I didn't homebrew for 4e, it had nothing to do with the quality of game design, and everything to do with the fact I had official RPGA characters.

This isn't the first time that RPGA/Living Whatever has come up in the context of "why I didn't like 4E" and I can't help but think that maybe the RPGA is the root of that problem rather than 4E. Like, if someone were to sit down to try and devise a way to suck out whatever enjoyment was possible to extract from playing an RPG I can't imagine it would be too different from taking a game that sells itself on personalization and making it your own, a unique experience to be shared among friends, and cramming it into a joyless, organized play framework run by aspergian elitist turbonerds where everything has rigidly enforced guidelines and uses lovely prewritten modules designed by complete strangers. No poo poo that doesn't sound fun, I'd probably think 4E sucked balls too if that was my experience with it.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I've never even attempted to play an official/living whatever the hell DND game, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of playing a RPG instead of just a video game. That's just my opinion on that matter though. I can easily see that sucking pretty hard, although I don't see how it could suck anymore for any particular edition, unless the adventures are that much worse (and to be fair, WoTC made mostly really really bad 4E adventures in general for whatever reason).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goldjas posted:

I've never even attempted to play an official/living whatever the hell DND game, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of playing a RPG instead of just a video game. That's just my opinion on that matter though. I can easily see that sucking pretty hard, although I don't see how it could suck anymore for any particular edition, unless the adventures are that much worse (and to be fair, WoTC made mostly really really bad 4E adventures in general for whatever reason).

I was first introduced to 4e running Keep on the Shadowfell which was hot garbage and definitely put me off for a long time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goldjas posted:

FWIW, the point of it is to play in person and get some actual social interaction whilst not having to do the work of DMing.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
So our group's module should be ending soon. We're about to hit the fifth milestone (no level up one) with a pretty solid party. Our fighter is a manuver based fighter who solo killed one of the big bads in two rounds. Whole extra dice system can be brutal on one on one fights this early in the game. Our two warlocks focused on improving thier pacts and have insane utility between the two of them. One is illusion/contro based and the other is AoE spell based. Our party wizard actually does not get to do much outside magic missle spam. I'm now a Monk 3/Sorceress 1 after having my bloodline kick started thanks to backround story and the settings theme.
We own houses in Greenmist now, setting up the town as our base of operations until we get to Waterdeep (where my family are minor nobles.) We also have a kobold sorc/rogue hireling we pay in goats.

Without getting spoilery so far the module is far better than most 4E modules. We are looking forward to hitting up the next story arc after this module. No healer, no problem. Everything dies within four rounds.

Just a trip report.

Loving my Elemental Monk, combined with Expiditious Assault (we renamed the spell in my honor. Moving 160 a round to punch a big bad in the face warrented the change.)

Kortel fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 11, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Being fair to Peas, the 5e rogue feels like it escaped from 4e and decided to blend in. It's probably the most interesting class design in the game and if you skipped 4e it would feel like a revelation at low levels. The second most interesting class is the other 4e escapee- the Warlock.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

No. Poor design forces the DM to make house-rules that have no guarantees on actually improving the quality of the game because he's just some guy who doesn't spend all his time designing a good rules because that's not his job.

It's like telling the Fighter "well just roleplay some poo poo to make your turns more interesting than normal attacks all the time!". Okay, so he says he's going to disarm a dude, and the DM makes him undergo a skill check or a Strength opposed roll or whatever. How is the DM supposed to know that it's a good ruling?
I think this kind of diy ethic comes from the early days of the game, where the barrier between the amateurs and the professionals was much more porous, and games were very thin on rules and required a lot of adjudication. Given self publishing, the barrier between amateur and pro is back to being extremely porous. I mean, ACKS has gone from self published PDF to running 2 successful kick starters. Pathfinder has poo poo like the Iron Game Designer contest, where they solicit stuff from fans to publish, etc. Etc.

And honestly, with all the complaining about poor game design in this thread, you would think people would have more faith in their ability to mod the game and continue to have fun.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

This isn't the first time that RPGA/Living Whatever has come up in the context of "why I didn't like 4E" and I can't help but think that maybe the RPGA is the root of that problem rather than 4E. Like, if someone were to sit down to try and devise a way to suck out whatever enjoyment was possible to extract from playing an RPG I can't imagine it would be too different from taking a game that sells itself on personalization and making it your own, a unique experience to be shared among friends, and cramming it into a joyless, organized play framework run by aspergian elitist turbonerds where everything has rigidly enforced guidelines and uses lovely prewritten modules designed by complete strangers. No poo poo that doesn't sound fun, I'd probably think 4E sucked balls too if that was my experience with it.
sure. RPGA was a problem. However, it was a serious attempt to try and address one of the core problems of D&D - how do you get more people becoming DMs, and how do you get more people learning the game.

And RPGA did start off as a pretty fun experience. I mean, it did deliver on the team based tactical combat.

And I did meet some pretty cool, fun people from RPGA.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ascendance posted:

And honestly, with all the complaining about poor game design in this thread, you would think people would have more faith in their ability to mod the game and continue to have fun.

You can fix a lovely system, as long as there's at least something to work with. Or you can find a better system that doesn't require the time and effort.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

neonchameleon posted:

Being fair to Peas, the 5e rogue feels like it escaped from 4e and decided to blend in. It's probably the most interesting class design in the game and if you skipped 4e it would feel like a revelation at low levels. The second most interesting class is the other 4e escapee- the Warlock.

Unless you're playing Theatre of the Mind-style combat in which your turn still boils down to saying "I attack", and your Cunning Action doesn't really set you apart.

I played a rogue in my first 5E game and it really made me want a grid so I could actually do interesting things with my movement and actions and opportunity attacks and so on.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

1d8 if you are sword and boarding, but the champion doesnt really synergize with that. 1d12/2d6 dropping 1s is more their style, and with the DMG we'll probably see on-crit bonus equipment.

A Fighter subclass that requires (optional) magic items from a different book and still doesn't synergize well with the arguably the most iconic depiction of the Fighter is nothing to be happy with.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

goldjas posted:

the official games are kind of necessary, though. People need onramps into the hobby. Its kind of a giant pain to buy the book (even the starter set), read it, and then teach it to others to play. And its not exactly comfortable going to the home of a stranger to join a game, especially if you're a woman.

The other role the official games play is during conventions. You can then get together and play D&D with friends you see once in a blue moon.

Also, there are lots of people out there who want to play D&D, and only know a couple of people to share the interest. Or maybe know nobody. In my case, one of my friends wanted to run D&D 4, but I really didn't like how he ran it (I.e. John Wick style, with every encounter being a brutal meat grinder).

The Encounters adventures for 5e have actually been kind of decent. The 4e always tried to have 3 encounters, and in a 4 hour session, almost all the time was spent on encounters.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You can fix a lovely system, as long as there's at least something to work with. Or you can find a better system that doesn't require the time and effort.
I feel like 5e gives me enough to work with. And every system has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Boing posted:

Unless you're playing Theatre of the Mind-style combat in which your turn still boils down to saying "I attack", and your Cunning Action doesn't really set you apart.

I played a rogue in my first 5E game and it really made me want a grid so I could actually do interesting things with my movement and actions and opportunity attacks and so on.

If you weren't playing on a grid / mat, then yeah, it wouldn't be nearly as great.

But I'd also argue that you'd be way better off with Dungeon World in that instance though

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There are like, 3 interesting mechanics in 5e and I feel like I'd rather port those mechanics to other systems. Advantage/Disadvantage, Concentration and Rituals. Except I'd use the 4e ritual system instead because anyone can use them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:ssh: Concentration is already in 4e, as Minor: Sustain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ascendance posted:

I think this kind of diy ethic comes from the early days of the game, where the barrier between the amateurs and the professionals was much more porous, and games were very thin on rules and required a lot of adjudication. Given self publishing, the barrier between amateur and pro is back to being extremely porous. I mean, ACKS has gone from self published PDF to running 2 successful kick starters. Pathfinder has poo poo like the Iron Game Designer contest, where they solicit stuff from fans to publish, etc. Etc.

I don't discount the ability of a layman/paying customer to come up with a house-rule that actually improves the game, but that says less about the layman's ability to improvise and more about how poor the written rules are in the first place.

As well, there's a difference between a game being deliberately light on rules and purposely requiring lots of adjudication, and a game where there is a rule for most outcomes, but the rules are either so vague they need adjudication anyway or they're not well-designed enough that you need to make up some changes of your own.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

moths posted:

:ssh: Concentration is already in 4e, as Minor: Sustain

And Advantage is already in as Multiclass: Avenger. Those fiends!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm having a lot of fun playing a Open Hand monk in a 5E game. I haven't punched a dragon yet, but I did punch a dinosaur, so it's all good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ascendance posted:

The barrier between "amateur and pro" in elfgaming has never stopped being porous. It's not like game designers are ever held to any sort of rigorous standards because even if you produce a bad game you'll still wind up with a bunch of people willing to shout "System doesn't matter! The GM can fix it!" Pathfinder bragged about employing Sean K. Reynolds for years and I'm pretty sure a random person just throwing darts at a board could have done a better job making new 3.X stuff than he did.

And "well this is a bad game but I guess I'll just have to soldier on and fix it" may have been your only recourse back when D&D was the only game in town but these days it isn't, you aren't starving for choices competing for your entertainment time. "Well go play one of those games then" isn't a ringing endorsement for Next either.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Pathfinder bragged about employing Sean K. Reynolds for years and I'm pretty sure a random person just throwing darts at a board could have done a better job making new 3.X stuff than he did.

And "well this is a bad game but I guess I'll just have to soldier on and fix it" may have been your only recourse back when D&D was the only game in town but these days it isn't, you aren't starving for choices competing for your entertainment time. "Well go play one of those games then" isn't a ringing endorsement for Next either.
I bet you're going to be contributing to SKR's Kickstarter, right?
You sound like a fan.

The main thing, though, is that just because you like a certain type of game design, and demand certain things from your elf games does not make the kinds of elfgames you like objectively better than other elfgames.

Elfgames are fundamentally a matter of taste, which makes one true wayism around them particularly stupid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Things like "How does D&D Next's CR system work? Answer: it seems to be largely random and arbitrary, based on no discernible formula or framework" isn't a matter of taste. You, personally, may not give a poo poo about a formula (like certain other people posting to this thread) but the fact is that the Next designers stuck it in the game going "you can use this to determine appropriate monster fights for your characters!" only it turns out that no, actually maybe the CR system is a bunch of guesswork and gut-feels that doesn't really do much to help with that.

"I don't care if the stuff the designers put in the game I paid money for actually works like it's supposed to" is absolutely an opinion you can have, it's just a stupid one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Agent Boogeyman posted:

If your GM's cool with it, you could convince them that your Lute doubles as a weapon (Like maybe a club or something) and use the Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond to make sure that your multiclassed Bard/E.Knight is never without their instrument.
Eldritch Kabong.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

ascendance posted:

Elfgames are fundamentally a matter of taste, which makes one true wayism around them particularly stupid.
Except the one true wayism straw man you are busy constructing here in reality consists of 'rules should not get in the way of what a game allegedly set out to do and preferably should not be a vague, nebulous Schrödinger's rulebook that needs constant adjudication'.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

Eldritch Kabong.

Best post of the thread. Ettin, lock it up, we're done.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Trip report: my table has been enjoying 5e, but having DMed 4e, I'm already rather sick of DMing this edition. Encounters are much more effort to put together, and even at 5th level it takes considerable narrative creativity to avoid the "move up; trade attacks until death; loot" that was pretty endemic to 3.5. I could take random monsters from 4e and toss them together and get a neat combat dynamic.

I still haven't seen caster supremacy rear its ugly head, although controlling spell scroll drops has probably helped with that. The lower save DCs and the comparatively higher spell attack mean often the save or suck abilities don't work or just do half damage with no effect instead, and the abjurer player has taken to act more like an evoker in combat. The abjurer ward is rather strong, and he can afford to sit in melee occasionally and unload a perfectly lined up burning hands.

The biggest problem I've had with balance is the open-hand monk DMPC (party-controlled) is actually stronger than our fighter in combat with flurry, and trades a tiny amount of toughness for more flexibility out of combat like the 2x jump distance. This was exacerbated by her choice of eldritch knight over battlemaster, and I've been trying to feed her some utility magic items so she has more options on things to do. Eldritch knight is pretty awful, so I've let her throw her swords and use the bond to recall them without any damage penalties or whatever so she at least feels like she got something out of it.

We'll be switching up DMing soon and I'll be playing a sickly fey pact warlock, so I look forward to seeing poo poo from the other side of the table. We rolled for stats for this campaign and out of 8 stats keep 6 highest, only 2 were even double digit so this'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ascendance posted:

I bet you're going to be contributing to SKR's Kickstarter, right?
You sound like a fan.

The main thing, though, is that just because you like a certain type of game design, and demand certain things from your elf games does not make the kinds of elfgames you like objectively better than other elfgames.

Are you seriously arguing that you can't/shouldn't criticize game design & mechanics to determine if they are bad or good?

I guess you can't say FATAL is a bad game either since it's just a matter of taste.