Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Metal Loaf posted:

EDIT: Okay, re-reading that, it looks like a lot of people are upset with Rebels because it means Starkiller no longer founded the Rebel Alliance. Correct me if I'm incorrect, but when The Force Unleashed came out, didn't loads of people hate the idea that the Rebellion was founded by Darht Vader's heretofore unseen secret apprenctice who was written-off a contemptible Mary Sue?

Haha what? TFU's backstory was incredibly stupid.

TO be fair, I'm a little worried about the wiping of the EU, but that's because it's a known quantity- there was some stuff I liked in there between all the terrible stuff. Right now there's nothing the new storyline, so I don't know if it'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The only thing that irks me about it (and even then only a little because lol @ getting upset about something dumb like this) is that they were initially all "there is only one continuity now, everything is canon, this stuff is just as canon as this other stuff" and then a couple months later changed it to "gently caress everything that came before."

But that's more the inconsistency that gets me than the actual decision. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm not at all upset about all this canonicity bullshit, largely because I'm a mature adult who really can't be bothered to get upset about it. If I remember right, since like 1990, EU fans have been pretty aware of certain different layers of canon: certain publishers works override the works of others, video games from Lucasarts override others, and anything George spats out of his deranged mouth overrides everything. It worked well, nobody really got pissed about it, and it kept everyone mostly happy.

The current "Legends" model is literally the exact same thing with a different label, and people are getting pissed about it because nerd reasons.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The only thing that irks me about it (and even then only a little because lol @ getting upset about something dumb like this) is that they were initially all "there is only one continuity now, everything is canon, this stuff is just as canon as this other stuff" and then a couple months later changed it to "gently caress everything that came before."

But that's more the inconsistency that gets me than the actual decision. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Pretty much this.

Anyway, the early reviews of Tarkin have been really positive. And it apparently still works in a ton of old-EU stuff into it, also.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chairman Capone posted:

And it apparently still works in a ton of old-EU stuff into it, also.

I have a feeling we're going to see this a lot from the better old-EU writers like Luceno.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You would have to be insane to think that they're going to somehow make the new movies consistent with 30 convoluted years of cheap novels that only huge nerds read.

...oh. I forgot that they were actually insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDTALmbxAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cE2HIQXgA

For such a huge Star Wars sperg, the guy sure does sound a lot like Bones from Star Trek.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gammatron 64 posted:

You would have to be insane to think that they're going to somehow make the new movies consistent with 30 convoluted years of cheap novels that only huge nerds read.

...oh. I forgot that they were actually insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDTALmbxAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1cE2HIQXgA

For such a huge Star Wars sperg, the guy sure does sound a lot like Bones from Star Trek.

...what the gently caress is wrong with this person?

I need to change my user name, don't I? I don't really want to be associated with poo poo like this.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

...what the gently caress is wrong with this person?

I need to change my user name, don't I? I don't really want to be associated with poo poo like this.

Lest we forget my avatar is from an alternate universe where Luke didn't blow up the Death Star and Yavin IV was destroyed :v:

So yeah join the club :smith: Dude's literally on vacation and would rather sit inside and talk about star wars.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

In brighter news, looks like Bandai-Namco's rebooting the awesome old Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgvcAzCesg

Looks pretty drat great, though it doesn't appear that the lightsaber sections are coming back.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What's annoying about these outraged fans...well one of the annoying things, anyhow...is the idea that because they're no longer canon, all the money they spent on EU stuff was "wasted".

Did you enjoy reading them? Were those games fun to play? Then none of that enjoyment or fun is retroactively invalidated because the material isn't "official" anymore.

Fer gently caress's sake, I think some people are just looking for excuses to be unhappy. :rolleyes:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Haha, gently caress TFU! That's one consolation from this whole thing, TFU's is loving horrible to an almost bug orgy level and I'm not going to miss it. I'd like if some authors were allowed to continue to developed Legends material. Zahn could go write a bunch of stories he didn't get around to before, and ignore that lovely hack writers killed off all his pet characters.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The only thing fun about TFU were the DLC alternate universe battles

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Cross-Section posted:

In brighter news, looks like Bandai-Namco's rebooting the awesome old Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgvcAzCesg

Looks pretty drat great, though it doesn't appear that the lightsaber sections are coming back.

That looks really fun, it would be awesome if my local arcade got that.

Anybody remember this game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLwvVmx3XxQ

My local putt putt had it when it was still around, and I had the game for the Sega 32X. Now that's an obscure console.

Casimir Radon posted:

Haha, gently caress TFU! That's one consolation from this whole thing, TFU's is loving horrible to an almost bug orgy level and I'm not going to miss it. I'd like if some authors were allowed to continue to developed Legends material. Zahn could go write a bunch of stories he didn't get around to before, and ignore that lovely hack writers killed off all his pet characters.

One person on there commented that "Starkiller is the TRUE founder of the rebellion!" There were people who actually liked TFU and enjoyed the storyline? :psyduck:

I had the Wii version of TFU as well so mine was even MORE horrible than normal.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wait, I thought something like the TFU would be a thing these kind of guys would hate? and they love it.

I don't even know what is going on anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I had the Wii version of TFU as well so mine was even MORE horrible than normal.

I think my brother got the PS2 version, which as I recall just straight-up didn't work. It had something wrong with it that meant you got stuck and couldn't beat the Jedi boss fight at the start when you're playing as Vader. I think I might have gotten the PSP port on the cheap when I saw it discounted at Game. Honestly, I can't remember; all I can say for TFU is, "Yep, that sure was a game right there."

Of course, I understand a lot of players felt the same way about Bounty Hunter, which I really enjoyed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I vaguely remember reading something awhile back about how there was a Star Wars-themed arena ship combat game similar to War Thunder in the works.. was that something Disney axed when they took over the IP, something someone mentioned and got quietly cancelled, or is it just a pipe dream?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Drone posted:

I vaguely remember reading something awhile back about how there was a Star Wars-themed arena ship combat game similar to War Thunder in the works.. was that something Disney axed when they took over the IP, something someone mentioned and got quietly cancelled, or is it just a pipe dream?

I think you may mean this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Attack_Squadrons

It was canceled.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I tested it. It wasn't very good sadly. Looked pretty.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well that's super disappointing. Done correctly, I'd have played the poo poo out of that game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I remember I had a girlfriend a few years about buy me the novelization of TFU2 because she knew how much I loved Star Wars. It was pretty adorable seeing her bring me a SW book she picked out her self and her enthusiasm in giving it to me.

I just pretended that I read it to make her feel better. Poor kid.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gammatron 64 posted:

That looks really fun, it would be awesome if my local arcade got that.

Anybody remember this game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLwvVmx3XxQ

My local putt putt had it when it was still around, and I had the game for the Sega 32X. Now that's an obscure console.
Holy crap I've been looking for that clip forever. For some reason the the funniest poo poo ever for me and my friends in elementary school was Ackbar awkwardly saying "STOOOORM THE SUPER STAAAR DESTROYAH.... AND DESTROY ITS MAIN ENGINE"

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I tested it. It wasn't very good sadly. Looked pretty.
I couldn't even get it to recognize my joystick.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The biggest argument in favor of the trashing of the EU is that "most of the EU sucks."

But no one wants to consider that the new EU is probably also going to mostly suck. Replacing one convoluted nightmare of a continuity with another doesn't change anything. And at least the original one was a known quantity.

They could have avoided all of this with a simple statement that any material published after such and such date supersedes any past material that it may contradict and then let the fans sort it out as they go. Star Wars EU nerds love doing that anyways and it would have been win/win.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 10, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Esroc posted:

The biggest argument in favor of the trashing of the EU is that "most of the EU sucks."

But no one wants to consider that the new EU is probably also going to mostly suck. Replacing one convoluted nightmare of a continuity with another doesn't change anything. And at least the original one was a known quantity.

They could have avoided all of this with a simple statement that any material published after such and such date supersedes any past material that it may contradict and then let the fans sort it out as they go. Star Wars EU nerds love doing that anyways and it would have been win/win.

That would have been awful. You'd still have fans complaining, only this time it would be each time a new EU thing was wiped out by a new work.

"They haven't mentioned yet if Luke was ever married, so clearly he was married to Mara, that part still counts!"
*one year later*
"Dammit they just said Luke was never married, everything is ruined!"

It would be the same mess, just never ending. Rip the band aid off, start from scratch.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Esroc posted:

So, the New 52 school of thought then. Everyone knows how well that's gone.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
On a more positive note, the uncut version of Empire strikes Back was released recently. This is the one where they have the movie made up of 15 second fan submitted clips. I'm only about half an hour in but it's pretty hilarious so far. My favorite being someone using a projector as the rebel binoculars.

http://gizmodo.com/this-shot-for-sh...l+%28Gizmodo%29

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Megachile posted:

My hypothesis is that Drew Karpyshyn's story is a microcosm of Lucas'. I have no evidence for this at all, is pure speculation. He was part of the team that did the amazing writing for KOTOR, but he got his name associated with the product that many other, better writers largely created. After the game got so popular and well-regarded, his name got cred for that and so he went on to write other things without the benefit of good editors and other writers. And apparently it worked for LucasBooks - as awful as the Darth Bane trilogy is, a lot of people seemed to like them.

Karphysyn himself co-wrote the Jedi Knight class storyline, which is the sort of main traditional hero/war plot, and literally every arc is saving a planet from a superweapon. It's like they thought that was the Knight's job, what a bounty or a cargo was to a bounty hunter or smuggler. And of course, it ends with the PC killing the Emperor with the help of Lord Scourge, who, like Revan and the Emperor, survived for 300+ years through a magical Plot Device. I spoiler tag for courtesy, but seriously, it's not worth playing unless you're a diehard completist. :(

I feel like Karphyshyn is hella insecure about how KotOR2 not only did a better job than his team did in terms of writing, but did so while simultaneously deconstructing the entire first game and so he feels the need to try and take it down at every turn. For instance, on Corellia in TOR there are giant holographic statues of every character from KotOR1 that you have a quest to repair. There is zero acknowledgement that Atton, Mira, the Handmaiden and the Disciple reformed the Jedi Order basically with nothing but Atris' Jedi hoarding to help them even in Tython's Jedi Temple, the center of the entire organization.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Have this neat Chinese Star Wars bootleg comic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got around to watching the first episode of Rebels. It was pretty good, a little juvenile but it is a show for kids. Certainly felt a lot more like Star Wars than what little bit I saw of TCW.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Marvel just announced starting in April that they'll be doing a Rebels tie-in comic called Kanan - The Last Padawan. If anything, the cover art is kinda nifty in that Star Wars way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VaultAggie posted:

On a more positive note, the uncut version of Empire strikes Back was released recently. This is the one where they have the movie made up of 15 second fan submitted clips. I'm only about half an hour in but it's pretty hilarious so far. My favorite being someone using a projector as the rebel binoculars.

The one they did for New Hope was really charming and actually damned good in spots.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

VaultAggie posted:

This is nice :unsmith:

And this is gold:

Luke's Spacecraft.

:stonk:

Kenobi's House Pimp Pad:

Obi Wan Kenobi - Jedi:

This comic is rad as gently caress holyshit. It's like Frank Frazetta on an acidtrip.

Seriously.

Chewie? You feeling okay? You don't look so hot. :wookie:

"Tie-Sqaudron, reporting in."

"Leave? In our moment of triumph!?"

This just sums it all up:

WHAT?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Holy poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love that Chewie is just a chimp, but Obi-Wan has some kind of ultra loving 70's jousting motorcycle.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love that Chewie is just a chimp, but Obi-Wan has some kind of ultra loving 70's jousting motorcycle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Sand People design is ah, certainly something too.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought it was funny that he wasn't a chimp until that exact panel, before that he was just regular old Chewie. My favorite thing (besides mega-rad Frazetta motorbike Kenobi) was him, R2, and 3PO all getting medals at the end :3:

I really need a Frank Frazetta-inspired Clone Wars series now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That Biker Obi-Wan image is great, the more you look into it the more amazing it gets. He's wearing old Chinese style armour too.

Also, kind of digging Indian babe Princess Leia.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Moose King fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Obi Wan Kenobi - Jedi:

G.I. Jobi-Wan: A Real American Hero.