Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

crondaily posted:

So what do you say about all the movies pre-Cop Out? He didn't even start smoking weed until Seth Rogen said "hehe, we should get high and watch the finished project" after Zach and Miri was done.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Doesn't he talk about weed a lot in his Evening with Kevin Smith, which I'm pretty sure is before Zack and Miri?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Not really. If Smith ever joked about stoners and weed before Zack & Miri, it mostly came from observation/being kind of a poser. He's basically a 40-something Weedvangelist, but his films were crummy hack work way before that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Not really. If Smith ever joked about stoners and weed before Zack & Miri, it mostly came from observation/being kind of a poser. He's basically a 40-something Weedvangelist, but his films were crummy hack work way before that.

Well it's been a while since I watched it. But that's weird, I would have assumed that the man behind Jay and Silent Bob loved his weed.

Back to Netflix- is the second Hunger Games (which is on UK Netflix) better than the first one? I found the first one pretty dull, but I am open to the idea of an American Battle Royale. It was just so sterile and PG-13, without any interesting characters.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

Well it's been a while since I watched it. But that's weird, I would have assumed that the man behind Jay and Silent Bob loved his weed.

Back to Netflix- is the second Hunger Games (which is on UK Netflix) better than the first one? I found the first one pretty dull, but I am open to the idea of an American Battle Royale. It was just so sterile and PG-13, without any interesting characters.

I think it's going to have the same effect on you as the first. some decent sequences but it's not great.

edit: it's aimed at teenagers but my teenager didn't think much of it either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

The first third to half of the film is dealing with the repercussions of the end of the first film. I think it's kind of dull until they actually get into the games again but it's pretty fun then (better than the first film).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think instead of Hunger Games 2 I will watch Fog of War for about the tenth time. Such a great documentary, I love it. And that soundtrack. (Also on UK Netflix, but it's also on youtube in shitter quality).

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

marktheando posted:

At the very least, it doesn't induce seizures by cutting every shot at three seconds.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I thought Red State was a legit decent movie up until that complete shift at the end. But hooo-boy what a shift.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thought Red State was okay. That needless exposition that was tacked on at the end ruined what would of been a neat ambiguous ending.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I might be the only person in existence but I kind of liked the end of Red State, even if the execution of it wasn't great. I saw the anticlimactic mundanity of it as kind of the whole point. Atrocities are always happening and the world is always about to end, but it never actually does, and soon everyone forgets about it and all that's left is for the people that are left to continue on with normal life.

Ambiguous endings aren't always the best way to go; I've always thought Frailty is a great example of a movie that plays with ambiguity but then deliberately rejects it with its ending albeit in a way completely opposite to how Red State does, which is arguably an even bolder choice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed the second Hunger Games film, but opposite to what was said above me, I liked the first 3/4 or 1/2 much more than the last act; the actual Game this time was much less interesting than fleshing out the dystopian society a lot more.

Certainly not a bad flick as far as blockbusters that you can watch for (sort of) free, is what I'm saying. If you liked the first film at all, you'll like the second one, possibly much more.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
So...Detachment. Jesus. Adrian Brody is such a wasted talent. Lucy Liu's scenes is painful because she's an awful actress, but the rest is very good. Soul crushing though.

Chichevache posted:

Same. It makes me hate most of the movies I watch.

Except Yellow Sea which is somehow incredible while high.

The Korean film by the dudes that made The Chaser? I can't picture that being pleasurable while high at all.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

marktheando posted:

I think instead of Hunger Games 2 I will watch Fog of War for about the tenth time. Such a great documentary, I love it. And that soundtrack. (Also on UK Netflix, but it's also on youtube in shitter quality).

Fog of War is okay, but having to write a paper on it pretty much killed any desire I had to watch it again.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The categories are really weird. I got bored and rated some movies last week, and it seems like every movie is based on a play now.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

precision posted:

I really enjoyed the second Hunger Games film, but opposite to what was said above me, I liked the first 3/4 or 1/2 much more than the last act; the actual Game this time was much less interesting than fleshing out the dystopian society a lot more.

Certainly not a bad flick as far as blockbusters that you can watch for (sort of) free, is what I'm saying. If you liked the first film at all, you'll like the second one, possibly much more.

That movie also really pushes the PG-13 boundaries — I'm thinking specifically of the protestor that gets capped right as the big doors close and we basically watch a gun-to-the-head execution in all but the poof of brain matter. That would've scared the crap out of me at 12. That and the smoke that makes your skin fall off. Ew.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Killing Them Softly is a sort ofunderstated, sort of in-your-face treatise on the USA post-Katrina. I really enjoyed it, James Gandolfini rolling in as a sort of Dumb and Dumber Jim Carey character was pretty good, and it hit a lot of good notes with very few miscues. It never really gets crazy but never needs to because it has a low, steady pulse which maintains quite well, imho. Brad Pitt was a bit much, but the ending played well for the attitude of his character.

The Samaritan Samuel L Jackson. It's Oldboy meets The Italian Job or any other caper/con/heist movie. Sam Jackson is 'Shafting it' pretty hard in this one. I really got the feeling that someone sat down with a whole pile of very specific, popular, and successful crime drama movies, and tried very, very hard to get the edgiest bit from each of them, all fit together into one script.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

James Woods Fan posted:

The Korean film by the dudes that made The Chaser? I can't picture that being pleasurable while high at all.

Depends what kind of stoner you are. I was on the edge of my seat the whole film, constantly squirming and alternating between squeamishness and panic at how hopeless and terrifying the film was. Bleak as gently caress and it put me in a really interesting place throughout the film. I don't know if I have ever been as entranced by a movie watching experience as I was then.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Chichevache posted:

Depends what kind of stoner you are. I was on the edge of my seat the whole film, constantly squirming and alternating between squeamishness and panic at how hopeless and terrifying the film was. Bleak as gently caress and it put me in a really interesting place throughout the film. I don't know if I have ever been as entranced by a movie watching experience as I was then.

It was fantastic and put me in the same place completely but completely sober.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Drug War but not as much as others seemed to. I thought the ending was way darker than the rest of the film, which was mostly pretty silly.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Bad Grandpa is kinda funny but they prey on the poor way too much. Yea, of course middle and upper middle class people will find it funny if you put poor people into ridiculous situations. It becomes a little depressing after the first few skits and I had to turn it off half way through.

Sasha Cohen did a much better job of creating pretty ridiculous situations from the poor right up on to the upper class of American society. Watch Bad Grandpa if you want to see entitled clowns abusing the underclass of the rust belt and middle America.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched Killing Them Softly after putting it off for a long time. I've read that it was "slow" but I didn't think that at all really. It wasn't action packed but it was just a regularly paced crime movie. Overall I thought it was pretty OK. I didn't really understand the political message they shoved directly into your face though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

laxbro posted:

Bad Grandpa is kinda funny but they prey on the poor way too much. Yea, of course middle and upper middle class people will find it funny if you put poor people into ridiculous situations. It becomes a little depressing after the first few skits and I had to turn it off half way through.

Sasha Cohen did a much better job of creating pretty ridiculous situations from the poor right up on to the upper class of American society. Watch Bad Grandpa if you want to see entitled clowns abusing the underclass of the rust belt and middle America.

Johnny Knoxville is an inbred Appalachian hick, with papers to prove it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

King of Bleh posted:

I might be the only person in existence but I kind of liked the end of Red State, even if the execution of it wasn't great. I saw the anticlimactic mundanity of it as kind of the whole point. Atrocities are always happening and the world is always about to end, but it never actually does, and soon everyone forgets about it and all that's left is for the people that are left to continue on with normal life.

The theme is fine but the execution was flat and felt disinterested in itself.

James Woods Fan posted:

I liked Drug War but not as much as others seemed to. I thought the ending was way darker than the rest of the film, which was mostly pretty silly.

Drug War is a decent Michael Mann film with a really creepy authoritarian undertone. The ending is dark because the undertone breaches the surface into outright propaganda.

Which basically makes it like any other HK cop movie but it pulls off the Mann vibe much better than most.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Drug War is a decent Michael Mann film with a really creepy authoritarian undertone. The ending is dark because the undertone breaches the surface into outright propaganda.

I still don't get people who say this. Do you think that Drug War is portraying China's brutal war on drugs as a good thing? The last scene is bone-chilling horror.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Watched The Double (with Jesse Eisenberg) last night. Very much enjoyed it. It's a pseudo-modernization of a Dostoevsky story, but the world is "modern" in the sense of Brazil or Eraserhead, and it clearly draws a lot from the former. It's not so fantastical or bizarre as either of those films, but if you liked them you should give it a shot. It's darkly humorous, but not a straight up thriller or comedy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

King of Bleh posted:

You genuinely put more thought into the ending than Kevin Smith.
"In fairness, it's worth noting that Kevin Smith originally considered ending the film with the actual Rapture, although the twist was that Cooper and his worshipers were the first on the divine chopping block. He decided against it for budgetary reasons, along with the admission that he was stoned out of his mind when he conceived of the idea."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Finally started Twin Peaks , watched the first 3 episodes last night. Why haven't I seen this before what is wrong with me.

Special Agent Cooper is Paul Atreides this is awesome.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Finally started Twin Peaks , watched the first 3 episodes last night. Why haven't I seen this before what is wrong with me.

Yeah I started watching it a couple days ago. Already on season two. So goooooooooood.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah I started watching it a couple days ago. Already on season two. So goooooooooood.

Sigh. You gonna hit a slump in season 2, but stick with it for the last episode.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

From things I've read, it basically sounds like Dale Cooper is a self-insert for David Lynch which kind of makes it that much more awesome.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still don't get people who say this. Do you think that Drug War is portraying China's brutal war on drugs as a good thing? The last scene is bone-chilling horror.

Yeah, this. Also Drug War is pretty good and you should watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Johnny Knoxville is an inbred Appalachian hick, with papers to prove it.

I lived in Knoxville for over 10 years and met him a couple times. He's actually a ridiculously nice guy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

laxbro posted:

Can you expand on this because I can't remember a time at all he 'preyed on the poor' in any way other than he did a thing in public and yea what a shock most people on a sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon are probably average joes?

Also haha at the idea of Knoxville being the jester of the elite and powerful. If you want to really look for deep meaning in shock stunt comics' works you should be way madder at Cohen for poo poo like Borat that boiled down to 'haha the poor in Eastern Europe are loving trash people, haha'

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Pretty drat good! I recognized nearly the entire cast. It was really cool seeing Nimoy as something other than Spock, Jeff Goldblum was at nearly maximum Goldblumness, Veronica Cartright pulls off another great freak-out (was this her thing?), etc. The sound design was amazing, and combined with the weird cinematography really lent everything a paranoid air of wrongness. My only complaint is that the ending was spoiled a hundred times over since it's apparently the only still people show from the movie (even Netflix is guilty on the Apple TV app!).

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 11, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nimoy is amazing in that.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

david_a posted:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Pretty drat good! I recognized nearly the entire cast. It was really cool seeing Nimoy as something other than Spock), Jeff Goldblum was at nearly maximum Goldblumness, Veronica Cartright pulls of another great freak-out (was this her thing?), etc. The sound design was amazing, and combined with the weird cinematography really lent everything a paranoid air of wrongness. My only complaint is that the ending was spoiled a hundred times over since it's apparently the only still people show from the movie (even Netflix is guilty on the Apple TV app!).

Community did an awesome reference to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOipn_Taj2w

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
OMG, I had no idea that was even a reference at the time!

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 11, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I lived in Knoxville for over 10 years and met him a couple times. He's actually a ridiculously nice guy.

I moved to Knoxville back in 2004, and while I never met him I pretty much heard the same thing from anybody that has met or knows him.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No you don't get it, a rich zionist who pads out half of his movie with his celebrity buddies doing fake interviews and pretending to be outraged is way less problematic than a cool self-made hick goofing around with regular people because *fart*

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler worth devoting 4 hours of my life to it? I love the few Fritz Lang movies I've seen (M, Metropolis), but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes. The police are hyper competent and utterly prepared for nearly everything. The only times things go bad are direct results of informant betrayal. The only people ever affected by the violence are police and drug cartels, of whom the latter are always shown to be in the wrong. The last scene didn't play to me as horror so much as justice pornography.

That said it's very well crafted and fun to watch! I think it's worth recommending but the politics of the movie aren't great.

• Locked thread