Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i heard this show was good, so I started watching it from episode 1. I think I'm about 6 or so episodes into it, and while I like it and it seems decent, it hasnt starting gripping me yet like I'd expect from what people say. Does it get any better or different?

I encourage you to watch it all, but there is a slight slump in the middle of the first season, centered around a 2 episode arc with the introduction of a certain character. After that, it goes full bananas amazing and stays that way. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
sweet, thanks for the help guys. Like I said, it seems alright with me so far, I was mostly just curious.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I encourage you to watch it all, but there is a slight slump in the middle of the first season, centered around a 2 episode arc with the introduction of a certain character. After that, it goes full bananas amazing and stays that way. Forever.

Yeah, that's why I said grit teeth through 7 and 8. Once you get to 9, the series is awesome.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I got to episode 9 the first time I tried to watch the show, then lost interest after that. When I tried to pick it up much later the next episode was a terrible one about an evil firefighter or something so it was a long time after that before I bothered trying to watch it again, starting at season 2 this time. That lasted 2 or 3 eps I think. Now I am attempting to start again after watching the season 3 premiere. Well that's my story, thank you for your time.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just realised how much better this episode would have worked narratively had Laurel died instead. That's not just me climbing aboard the Laurel Lance hate train, I mean the episode is already set up that way.

It shows Laurel is getting her life together, she's at her best. Her and Ollie's relationship is the healthiest it's ever been, her and her dad are having a good relationship (except for her fearing for his life - which would then be tragically ironic), her and her sister share a hug and then she's confidently strutting along to do lawyer business...Boom. It would have been way more shocking.

Instead we got "oh hey Sarah is back for some reason and now she is dead."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

I just realised how much better this episode would have worked narratively had Laurel died instead. That's not just me climbing aboard the Laurel Lance hate train, I mean the episode is already set up that way.

It shows Laurel is getting her life together, she's at her best. Her and Ollie's relationship is the healthiest it's ever been, her and her dad are having a good relationship (except for her fearing for his life - which would then be tragically ironic), her and her sister share a hug and then she's confidently strutting along to do lawyer business...Boom. It would have been way more shocking.

Instead we got "oh hey Sarah is back for some reason and now she is dead."

I think its important that we see how this infulences the rest of the season. If the LOA plot is due to this then it would not make sense for Laurel

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wandle Cax posted:

I got to episode 9 the first time I tried to watch the show, then lost interest after that. When I tried to pick it up much later the next episode was a terrible one about an evil firefighter or something so it was a long time after that before I bothered trying to watch it again, starting at season 2 this time. That lasted 2 or 3 eps I think. Now I am attempting to start again after watching the season 3 premiere. Well that's my story, thank you for your time.

If you only got two or three episodes into season two then don't bother trying again. The show's just not for you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Even if you don't like Laurel because she never does anything, well now she's gonna be doing all kinds of stuff! She's gonna be training and punching bad men instead of talking to DAs and driving under the influence. She'll get hurt and need to take painkillers BUT SHE CAN'T so she'll probably just be a badass and take the pain while Oliver nods sagely and does some reps on the salmon ladder.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm stoked they're giving her character things to do. My only complaint with her before was that she was a wasted character, even when she was given screentime (except drunk/angry Laurel - Oscar worthy stuff right there). I think she's a fine actress.

Caity Lotz, now, is not a good actress in the show, and I'm glad she's going to get less time (or none?!).

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Don't you guys remember that they killed Merlyn in the first season and he came back in the second and said something like "I know how to get around death"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Daric posted:

Don't you guys remember that they killed Merlyn in the first season and he came back in the second and said something like "I know how to get around death"

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Sara not being dead-dead.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Daric posted:

Merlyn only took one arrow though. I bet 3 is much harder.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I loathe to bring this up, but I remember everyone talking about Katie Cassidy's face looking different in season 2 and people saying it was weight loss and method acting for her character...Has her face gone back to normal this season? I have no idea.

bobkatt013 posted:

I think its important that we see how this infulences the rest of the season. If the LOA plot is due to this then it would not make sense for Laurel
Yeah, it's hard to say right now.

Deadpool posted:

If you only got two or three episodes into season two then don't bother trying again. The show's just not for you.
I don't think this is true. I remember season 2 taking a while to get going (basically until the Slade stuff) especially after the heights of the first season finale. But once it did get going...

Pwnstar posted:

Even if you don't like Laurel because she never does anything, well now she's gonna be doing all kinds of stuff! She's gonna be training and punching bad men instead of talking to DAs and driving under the influence. She'll get hurt and need to take painkillers BUT SHE CAN'T so she'll probably just be a badass and take the pain while Oliver nods sagely and does some reps on the salmon ladder.
We had a normal girl turned badass vigilante by traumatic past events and now we get to see...a normal girl more slowly become a badass vigilante, probably with the same name and costume, because of a traumatic event? Oh. :smith:

The Lord Bude posted:

Merlyn only took one arrow though. I bet 3 is much harder.
When she fell backwards off the roof I thought she was going to be fine because whenever that happens in comic books, they come back. But then they really made a point of showing you the fall and the bloodied back of her head and it was pretty grim. :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Caity Lotz is no longer the Black Canary, she's now...the Eggplant (that way she can still keep her wardrobe).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i heard this show was good, so I started watching it from episode 1. I think I'm about 6 or so episodes into it, and while I like it and it seems decent, it hasnt starting gripping me yet like I'd expect from what people say. Does it get any better or different?
Season one is really soapy and in large parts absolutely awful. Season two does away with basically all of that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

Season one is really soapy and in large parts absolutely awful.

It had some soapy bits but to say it was absolutely awful in any part, let alone large parts is a gross exaggeration. At it's worst (the huntress arc) it was mediocre; but still better than say, any of Gotham so far, or the first two thirds of season 1 of shield, or any of smallville ever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Laurel/Tommy/Oliver death-triangle of CW doom does get pretty grating after a while too. Whenever I recommend this show to people, that specific love triangle tends to be the thing they complain about most.

"Does this crap ever end??" they demand of me.

"Oh does it ever," I reply.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

It had some soapy bits but to say it was absolutely awful in any part, let alone large parts is a gross exaggeration. At it's worst (the huntress arc) it was mediocre; but still better than say, any of Gotham so far, or the first two thirds of season 1 of shield, or any of smallville ever.
Well that's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one.

The show was bad, whenever they dealt with relationships. Unfortunately, that was a lot of the time in season one. But it was pretty awesome towards the end - well after the Huntress crap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm starting to think you guys have a goony intolerance for relationships in general.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's a difference between your characters having relationships and CW MAXIMUM ANGST NEVER SAY THE ONE THING THAT WOULD SOLVE EVERYTHING relationships.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

There's a difference between your characters having relationships and CW MAXIMUM ANGST NEVER SAY THE ONE THING THAT WOULD SOLVE EVERYTHING relationships.

I saw no evidence of the later on Arrow. That love triangle would have lasted seasons on a show like smallville, here it was a minor background plot thread that petered out to a timely conclusion.

I'll admit Huntress was a tad melodramatic, but I think her subsequent season 2 appearance was better, and I have higher hopes for a future appearance.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Katie Cassidy posted a pic on Facebook that shows her being fitted for a plaster mold with a bunch of other Arrow stuff in the background.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I loathe to bring this up, but I remember everyone talking about Katie Cassidy's face looking different in season 2 and people saying it was weight loss and method acting for her character...Has her face gone back to normal this season? I have no idea.

I think she's looking better, I remember thinking to myself that she looked distinctly healthier and not all junkied-out this episode. I kinda doubt her physical transformation last season was as dramatic as some people were saying though, you can accomplish a lot with the right makeup and lighting.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. When I watched the first episode of S2, I seriously thought they were going to introduce a plotline about how she became addicted to painkillers during the time Ollie was back on the island again. She did look a bit less wooden this episode.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Mog posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. When I watched the first episode of S2, I seriously thought they were going to introduce a plotline about how she became addicted to painkillers during the time Ollie was back on the island again. She did look a bit less wooden this episode.

She was in a movie last year called the Scribbler or something where she played some crazy person. Maybe for that reason, I don't know.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
Katie also posted this on FB a few days ago -- dem guns

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
God, I need to get back into lifting. :(

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Arrow DLC for the next Lego Batman game: https://twitter.com/LEGOBatmanGame/status/520979338041520128

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sarah Lance/Black Canary

:laugh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

Sarah Lance/Black Canary

:laugh:

Maybe she'll have Grundy's powers.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I know Amell is doing voicework for that, but are they getting anyone else?

Because I demand that Lego Barrowman be fully voiced. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

I know Amell is doing voicework for that, but are they getting anyone else?

Because I demand that Lego Barrowman be fully voiced. :colbert:

Fully voiced Barrowman and Slade would be amazing. :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hef Deezy posted:

Okay maybe its the perspective or the light or something but jesus no matter what.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Visual proof that Katie Cassady is awesome and will rock as Black Canary

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hef Deezy posted:

I don't want to be that guy, but she needs to work her legs more. Her upper body is fantastic, but her legs are toothpicks. Maybe that's just her genes though, I don't know.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I don't want to be that guy, but she needs to work her legs more. Her upper body is fantastic, but her legs are toothpicks. Maybe that's just her genes though, I don't know.

I'm sure her personal trainer has got it covered.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Maybe that's just her genes though, I don't know.

Maybe they're skinny genes.....

:downsrim:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's hard to judge based on one oddly perspectived photo, dude.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus if she's going to have to be wearing fishnets all the time I'm pretty sure that's part of the training regimen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drifter posted:

It's hard to judge based on one oddly perspectived photo, dude.
She has always looked pretty top-heavy and had chicken legs, though. She spends half the first season in some form of boxers/short-shorts while every guy she knows rolls into her apartment for *plot reasons*. She has an okay butt however, I suspect that's largely to do with the costumer's choice of office slacks, etc.

Seriously though I was :catstare: for the first ten or so episodes because her breasts are pushed up so much more than almost any other character (notable exception of Huntress,) in every scene she's in where she's not lounging around her apartment.

My suspicion is that she focus on a lot of upper-body work to improve her arm definition and bust-line.. Not everyone cares if a woman's got chicken legs and no butt, as long as she's got big boobs.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 11, 2014

• Locked thread