Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

quote:

Nissa Worldwaker average has been lowered by one dollar
OY VEY
After opening two Digs, one promo one normal, at my pre-release I was a bit sad - now I'm glad though because in case of an emergency I can sell them off. I hope they get used in Modern and Legacy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only Blue deck that won't really want Dig or Cruise is Tron (it has other things to do with it's Blue mana and doesn't fill it's Graveyard with Cantrips like other Blue decks do).

Every other Blue deck will work to play at least 2 of one or the other.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Went 3-1 last night at my smaller, more competitive LGS with Jeskai. Lost a round to a mono black aggro with a god hand for game 1 and game 3 with him on the play.

The only 4x of anything in my board was erase and I have to say that it was a MVP of the night. It just hits so much critical stuff right now in some of my harder matchups.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Unironically happy that combo is back in standard. It's probably easy to hate out or prepare for, but it adds depth to the meta and goes a long way towards keeping it interesting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/520831761853329408

Our favorite magic pro making headlines again!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^bertocheaty?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So hang on to my Russian foil Dig Through Time, or move it ASAP?

check Ebay, see if you're happy with the price.

I'd at least wait till the end of the pro tour, as well as the end of the next few major legacy events.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 11, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/520831761853329408

Our favorite magic pro making headlines again!

"Who cares if this known cheater is once again cheating, I'm furious about Melissa DeTora!!!" im glad to be part of a community of horrible loving idiots

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Are they talking about Bertoncinni?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

Are they talking about Bertoncinni?

Yes.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

neetengie posted:

OY VEY
After opening two Digs, one promo one normal, at my pre-release I was a bit sad - now I'm glad though because in case of an emergency I can sell them off. I hope they get used in Modern and Legacy too.

Dig has already made appearances in modern (uwr, scapeshift, etc) and legacy (omni tell, getting tested in miracles and esper blade). Just cross your fingers it doesn't get banned!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

TicalStal posted:

Dig has already made appearances in modern (uwr, scapeshift, etc) and legacy (omni tell, getting tested in miracles and esper blade). Just cross your fingers it doesn't get banned!
It really shouldn't, it's an efficient dig spell, that's all.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Another card seeing a lot of legacy and modern play is Abrupt Decay, which I also expect to be banned any moment now.

edit: you can't cast it with blue mana the card is fine move along boys.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

neetengie posted:

It really shouldn't, it's an efficient dig spell, that's all.

Several of which they've already banned in Modern!

edit: I personally like how WOTC made it clear that Modern is not allowed to have efficient, powerful blue card draw/selection spells because "Creatures!" or whatever, and then proceeded to print not one but two of the most broken card draw/selection spells of all time in the same set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

The only Blue deck that won't really want Dig or Cruise is Tron (it has other things to do with it's Blue mana and doesn't fill it's Graveyard with Cantrips like other Blue decks do).

Every other Blue deck will work to play at least 2 of one or the other.

I'm testing Dig as a 2-of in Tron :v: So far I haven't regretted it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
How big of an rear end in a top hat is Bertoncini that even LSV is angry about him? Christ what an rear end in a top hat.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

edit: I personally like how WOTC made it clear that Modern is not allowed to have efficient, powerful blue card draw/selection spells because "Creatures!" or whatever, and then proceeded to print not one but two of the most broken card draw/selection spells of all time in the same set.

To be fair there's no way Dig and Cruise could have been printed in separate sets because there's no way they'd make the same mistake twice after having any evidence whatsoever.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

rabidsquid posted:

Another card seeing a lot of legacy and modern play is Abrupt Decay, which I also expect to be banned any moment now.

edit: you can't cast it with blue mana the card is fine move along boys.
b-b-but muh shekels! :qq:
I know it has a pretty high chance of being banned, I just hope it doesn't get banned.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

"Who cares if this known cheater is once again cheating, I'm furious about Melissa DeTora!!!" im glad to be part of a community of horrible loving idiots

What happened with Melissa DeTora?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

vOv posted:

Apparently dropped a second land on accident during a rather long drawn-out turn.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What did Bertoncinni do this time?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

vOv posted:

There's some coverage vid where to my understanding she plays an extra land during a long turn (haven't seen the vid). Obviously cheating because ?, not a honest mistake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neetengie posted:

b-b-but muh shekels! :qq:
I know it has a pretty high chance of being banned, I just hope it doesn't get banned.

I actually don't think either spell will be banned, I was just poking fun at how when new blue spells see success in multiple formats people immediately start talking of bannings but don't notice say, Deathrite Shaman.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BizarroAzrael posted:

What did Bertoncini do this time?

Two notable stories that I've seen:

Martin Juza ‏@Juzam_
@dieplstks when he played against jaklovsky he tried a lot of things that ended in 2 warnings (sorcery as instant, unmorph 2wru with no w/r)

eric froehlich
‏@efropoker
@dieplstks @HAUMPH cast ascendancy with one in play, he snap negates, cheon says triggers, he tries to say he missed it cus negate.

That second one actually got LSV mad

Luis Scott-Vargas @lsv
@bmkibler @Juzam_ @dieplstks I got mad and berated him about trying to cheat @HAUMPH, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

rabidsquid posted:

I actually don't think either spell will be banned, I was just poking fun at how when new blue spells see success in multiple formats people immediately start talking of bannings but don't notice say, Deathrite Shaman.

Yeah, it's astounding that DRS hasn't been banned in Modern yet. A Birds of Paradise you can cast off a Blood Crypt? A mana elf that a Rock deck is perfectly happy to topdeck late? Who made this game

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cernunnos posted:

Apparently dropped a second land on accident during a rather long drawn-out turn.

A lot of people don't get that good players do get the benefit of the doubt for single, isolated incidents, especially during longer careers. As another example: Dave Williams apparently drew an extra card without discarding off of a Jeskai Ascendancy trigger while Fabian Thiele was letting him play the combo out for the camera. He was actually going off (infinite loop in play / hand), so nobody really pressed the issue, but there are certainly times and places where that might get you a Game Loss (GRV warning?) when caught.

Attorney at Funk posted:

eric froehlich
‏@efropoker
@dieplstks @HAUMPH cast ascendancy with one in play, he snap negates, cheon says triggers, he tries to say he missed it cus negate.

In fairness, trying to rush past triggers / effects is something that does work as cheating in SCG tournaments :downs:

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 11, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, it's astounding that DRS hasn't been banned in Modern yet. A Birds of Paradise you can cast off a Blood Crypt? A mana elf that a Rock deck is perfectly happy to topdeck late? Who made this game

People got really angry about DRS being banned and didn't see it as that powerful. Actually no you were right hhaha i didnt know it was banned and was just throwing random words into my sentence

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^ I'm positive you could find quotes of people bitching about Ponder/Preordain getting banned in Modern too, or people arguing that Ancestral Visions should be unbanned

Attorney at Funk posted:

Luis Scott-Vargas @lsv
@bmkibler @Juzam_ @dieplstks I got mad and berated him about trying to cheat @HAUMPH, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me.

*Wizards immediately ejects LSV from the tournament for aggression*

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

At this point I am pretty sure LSV could punch Rich Hagon right in the mouth live on camera and be given the benefit of the doubt and let off with a warning.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One could say attacking players is aggressive behaviour

Eject everyone but the control players

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

At this point I am pretty sure LSV could punch Rich Hagon right in the mouth live on camera and be given the benefit of the doubt and let off with a warning.

Any Magic player who laid Rich Hagon out would immediately become my favorite Magic player.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Two notable stories that I've seen:

Martin Juza ‏@Juzam_
@dieplstks when he played against jaklovsky he tried a lot of things that ended in 2 warnings (sorcery as instant, unmorph 2wru with no w/r)

eric froehlich
‏@efropoker

That second one actually got LSV mad

Luis Scott-Vargas @lsv

Holy poo poo, I would pay to see LSV berating him. What a sight that must have been.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So I guess this pretty much confirms that we may never seen Alex on camera ever again? Seems weird that coverage has totally blacked out on him.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I wish we could see LSV and Chapin doing commentary together. :allears:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JerryLee posted:

^^^ I'm positive you could find quotes of people bitching about Ponder/Preordain getting banned in Modern too, or people arguing that Ancestral Visions should be unbanned

Eh, Ancestral Visions is probably a safe unban. It's a good card but the only deck that is going to really care about it is Fae, and Fae isn't particularly strong with the new creatures that have been printed. "Wait a bunch of turns" is an actual drawback, unlike "exile a bunch of cards from your graveyard".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Sickening posted:

So I guess this pretty much confirms that we may never seen Alex on camera ever again? Seems weird that coverage has totally blacked out on him.

I mean, they only show winning players on camera, mostly, and Bertoncini ended Day 1 at like 2-6. He still shows up on camera at SCG when he's doing well (though it does seem like he's one of the last people they'll bring into the feature match area).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Honestly? Wizards likes having a "heel" around. Maro has come right out and said that he thinks Mike Long was great for the game even though he was a blatant, unsportsmanlike cheater because he gave people a villain. I don't think they're "encouraging" Bertoncini to cheat but I don't think they see it as big a problem as we do.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sickening posted:

If this continues the SCG Players Championship is going to be an amazingly awkward event.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

NovemberMike posted:

Eh, Ancestral Visions is probably a safe unban. It's a good card but the only deck that is going to really care about it is Fae, and Fae isn't particularly strong with the new creatures that have been printed. "Wait a bunch of turns" is an actual drawback, unlike "exile a bunch of cards from your graveyard".

With Treasure Cruise being so much better of a variant in most cases, I can't imagine Visions needing to be banned at all. Especially without Bloodbraid Elf around.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

rabidsquid posted:

It's because she has a vagina. The easy litmus test for these douchebags is to just ask "did you care about/bring up her misplay before we were talking about Alex's incident?" Because they don't/ didn't it's just an easy derail for them. Never mind the difference between a single on camera mistake and the most catatonic of super chill guys chewing you out for being a shady piece of poo poo at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Honestly? Wizards likes having a "heel" around. Maro has come right out and said that he thinks Mike Long was great for the game even though he was a blatant, unsportsmanlike cheater because he gave people a villain. I don't think they're "encouraging" Bertoncini to cheat but I don't think they see it as big a problem as we do.

On the other hand they DQ someone for throwing cards in someone else's face. Yeah, I read the report and it sounds like after interviewing everyone it was concluded that he actually threw the cards in the guy's face which is definitely intolerable but probably does a lot less harm to the game qua game than a notorious cheater never being effectively dealt with.

I don't remember the Maro Mike Long comment but did his opinion basically at all take into account the fact that the Long era was basically the wild west of Magic compared to today? Chris Benafel, PTR, probably lots of other bad boys I don't remember were also playing around that time. It was a different era as far as quality of cheating enforcement and expectations of sportsmanship at the Pro Tour level. There's plenty of room for rivalry stories like between top teams, but I don't think we have to go back to people being toxic on the tournament floor.

• Locked thread