Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I bet this sounds like gibberish to a normal person.

Sereri posted:

It probably does but they could google it and get good results.

Which they probably wouldn't.
This is what I was figuring. They'll either Google it or they won't, and if they do and need help I'll be happy type up more detailed instructions.

Given the question I figured they just didn't know what terms to search for, a reasonable assumption since it is gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Chas McGill posted:

Thanks. Trying it now. Hopefully my work and home locations are served by different towers since I only live 15 minutes away. It does have an 'experimental' wifi option so I'll try that if the towers don't work.

You can also set it to trigger different profiles depending on if it's connected to certain wifi networks or different calendar events too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For those of you with a Moto, the Motorola Connect app updated with a Chrome extension, which lets you text from your desktop, shows missed calls, phone battery life and signal strength. You can also ring your phone from your computer.

I'm on Google Voice, so its useless to me as it uses the phone's SIM number, and Hangouts does most of this for me already anyway. Pretty neat though.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bobx66 posted:

Google Play Music:

Is it possible to download an album to my phone by using the browser of my desktop or do I have to individually click "download" for each album I want on my phone?

For example rdio does this, but I don't think that spotify does.

Guess I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but can't you just connect with the cable and copy/paste the music you want into the music folder on your phone?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

For those of you with a Moto, the Motorola Connect app updated with a Chrome extension, which lets you text from your desktop, shows missed calls, phone battery life and signal strength. You can also ring your phone from your computer.

I'm on Google Voice, so its useless to me as it uses the phone's SIM number, and Hangouts does most of this for me already anyway. Pretty neat though.

I'm not sure, but the way thus is worded it sounds like the Chrome extension is new.

It's not.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bobx66 posted:

Google Play Music:

Is it possible to download an album to my phone by using the browser of my desktop or do I have to individually click "download" for each album I want on my phone?

For example rdio does this, but I don't think that spotify does.

Best you can do: on your desktop, add all the albums you want to a playlist (titled "pin me" or something), then on your phone simply pin that playlist. You can't tell your phone to pin something from your PC, but this is almost as simple.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure, but the way thus is worded it sounds like the Chrome extension is new.

It's not.

Well its the first I've heard of it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

FogHelmut posted:

Or if you don't use a Moto phone you can do the same thing with MightyText which also has a tablet app.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a time tracking app with support for Toodledo? Or maybe one that works with another task manager (that's also supported by Business Calendar).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh god I'm in the middle of a group text in Google Voice Hangouts. This is so confusing.

It's me and two other people, so I have two message threads, one for each of them. They are obviously talking to each other, and I am receiving their messages in my separate conversations. This is difficult to follow.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
My goddamn idiot fucker friend put towelroot on my phone and now I can't get the bluetooth update. Well it just says update failed and I'm assuming it's because my poo poo was rooted or something. How the gently caress do I fix this? I don't give a poo poo about root access, however I do give a poo poo about my bluetooth headphones no longer cutting out and sounding like dog poo poo.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

roymorrison posted:

My goddamn idiot fucker friend put towelroot on my phone and now I can't get the bluetooth update. Well it just says update failed and I'm assuming it's because my poo poo was rooted or something. How the gently caress do I fix this? I don't give a poo poo about root access, however I do give a poo poo about my bluetooth headphones no longer cutting out and sounding like dog poo poo.

I doubt this is the correct thread for your issue.

However, I would recommend using Google to find a way to return your phone/tablet/whatever to stock then upgrading to the latest revision via the normal manufacturer's process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FogHelmut posted:

Well its the first I've heard of it.

Discoverability!

Thermopyle is right though, it's been around since the launch of the Moto X 2013, so over a year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roymorrison posted:

What phone? Also it'd probably best to take this to the Root thread.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks fellas

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Best you can do: on your desktop, add all the albums you want to a playlist (titled "pin me" or something), then on your phone simply pin that playlist. You can't tell your phone to pin something from your PC, but this is almost as simple.

This is my favorite Google Music thing. It's much easier to manage a playlist on a desktop, and then it's synced to Everything.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So, I've been using Google Music for about a year now, and the way it managed to gently caress up and misidentify my tracks is pretty maddening. I thought I would get used to it after pruning the duplicates, but finding music I know I have uploaded just missing is kind of the last straw.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for something similar to Google Music that would allow me to place my music on a server somewhere(would prefer my own, but theirs would be fine too if it was cheap) then let me stream it to my phone?

I would love to use Spotify, but it's not available in my region. I also have a significant amount of rare stuff like acoustic fan club tracks, bootlegs, and self-released indie music that will never be available on a streaming service in a zillion years.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ErIog posted:

So, I've been using Google Music for about a year now, and the way it managed to gently caress up and misidentify my tracks is pretty maddening. I thought I would get used to it after pruning the duplicates, but finding music I know I have uploaded just missing is kind of the last straw.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for something similar to Google Music that would allow me to place my music on a server somewhere(would prefer my own, but theirs would be fine too if it was cheap) then let me stream it to my phone?

I would love to use Spotify, but it's not available in my region. I also have a significant amount of rare stuff like acoustic fan club tracks, bootlegs, and self-released indie music that will never be available on a streaming service in a zillion years.

Haven't used it in a while, but subsonic might be what you're looking for.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

Take a look at Amazon's cloud player.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Are there any 360 degree camera apps which are particularly recommended? I'm checking out a new apartment soon and it'd be handy to capture each room for reference.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Can we talk about what a horrible piece of poo poo the Facebook app is? I was having performance/battery issues with my Tab S which shouldn't have any problems with 3 gigs of ram and a Snapdragon 800 and I saw someone mention Facebook being terrible and it was already laggy as poo poo and I hate Facebook so I don't even really know why I was bothering with it in the first place.

I deleted it (Well, disabled because AT&T was kind enough to build it in to the tablet) and my entire tablet sped up and my battery life improved. The app wasn't showing up as stealing a bunch of memory or the biggest power users, there must be one or more horrid, horrid background processes that it is using that is sucking Android dry. It's off my phone now too, what a piece of poo poo app.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

Can we talk about what a horrible piece of poo poo the Facebook app is? I was having performance/battery issues with my Tab S which shouldn't have any problems with 3 gigs of ram and a Snapdragon 800 and I saw someone mention Facebook being terrible and it was already laggy as poo poo and I hate Facebook so I don't even really know why I was bothering with it in the first place.

I deleted it (Well, disabled because AT&T was kind enough to build it in to the tablet) and my entire tablet sped up and my battery life improved. The app wasn't showing up as stealing a bunch of memory or the biggest power users, there must be one or more horrid, horrid background processes that it is using that is sucking Android dry. It's off my phone now too, what a piece of poo poo app.

I got greenify on this thread's suggestion and used it on FB and the fb messenger on both me and my wife's phone and holy shot the difference in performance and battery life AND somehow in my 3g signal is night and day.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Does Google Voice still have transcribed voice mails? I'm not sure if things have changed with all the new integration to hangouts.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Binge posted:

Does Google Voice still have transcribed voice mails? I'm not sure if things have changed with all the new integration to hangouts.
Yeah, it does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

datajosh posted:

Yeah, it does.

With the same level of hilarity too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Now that the Hangouts Chrome app has chat heads functionality, I really hope Google brings that to the Hangouts mobile app. That's assuming Facebook doesn't have a patent on mobile chat heads though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Now that the Hangouts Chrome app has chat heads functionality, I really hope Google brings that to the Hangouts mobile app. That's assuming Facebook doesn't have a patent on mobile chat heads though.

Dear Google,

Chat squares. Let me know when you're ready to buy.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Dear Google,

Chat squares. Let me know when you're ready to buy.

When Google gives you twelve billion dollars, I hope you'll use part of it to resurrect Grimbo's blog.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was on the phone with Hangouts/Voice VOIP, and someone else called me. It still forwarded to my dialer, and it started ringing. I was able to hang up on that call while still staying on the phone. Very bizarre though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Music questions:

1) Can I play albums downloaded through Play Music in other music apps? If not, is there a digital music store that would give me more control over music?
2) Is there a good music app that will let me arrange albums into folders of my choosing? I'd like to sort albums according to my own particular preferences.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

Music questions:

1) Can I play albums downloaded through Play Music in other music apps? If not, is there a digital music store that would give me more control over music?
2) Is there a good music app that will let me arrange albums into folders of my choosing? I'd like to sort albums according to my own particular preferences.
Google Play lets you download a purchased album twice, ever, on desktop. If you download it that way then obviously you can play it however you want. You cannot do this with streamed or pinned music on a mobile device.

For the second question, sort your music on desktop first, I believe MP3Tag can do folder arrangement stuff: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Been playing around with the Microsoft Xim app. It's pretty cool.

quote:

Share your photos, not your phone! Xim your photos on your camera roll or favorite service to your friends’ devices. Swipe, pan and zoom together for all to enjoy, even those who don’t have the app.
• Stop huddling around one small screen – xim instead so everyone can see the images on their own device

Not exactly something I'll use every day, but if I remember I've got it, it'll be nice when I want to share some photos with people around me.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Been playing around with the Microsoft Xim app. It's pretty cool.

Not exactly something I'll use every day, but if I remember I've got it, it'll be nice when I want to share some photos with people around me.

This is really cool. I just got back from Mexico and have been sharing pictures. This makes it easier for people not in Google+ or Facebook. Like people at work and stuff. Thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommendations for an app that can at least temporarily dim my screen? It's super bright at night time while I'm reading in bed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommendations for an app that can at least temporarily dim my screen? It's super bright at night time while I'm reading in bed.

The brightness-setting will be a lot faster to access in Android L, but meanwhile/even better:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux - pretty much f.lux for Android. Dims your screen according to the daylight cycle.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux - greately improves on the autobrightness function of Android.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 12, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you just want to put a black filter over the screen to dim it, I like Night Mode.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh. I just got a Rewards Survey asking what type of student I was. One option was "I am a graduate school." Well, I'm a graduate student, and all the others said student, so I just went and told Google that I'm a graduate school. I got $0.10 for this farce.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Good morning goons,

I'm looking for an app which will allow me to scheduled file sync between folders on my internal storage to my external storage. I can only find apps which sync between your phone and cloud (such as Foldersync by tacit software).

I've been using Tasker "Copy dir" command but I've subsequently realised it defaults to "skip" existing files (even if filesize is different) so I'm looking to get an app that has more advanced sync features.

Most of the ones I've tried only offer cloud syncing :(

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend an app which can do FXP? I want to be able to set up the transfer stuff from a remote server to a home server from my phone.

• Locked thread