Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

basically "don't put your eggs in one basket" isn't something that the USPTO subscribes to, says my new boss
People like your new boss make it possible for people like me to make a living through post-grant proceedings. Yay for stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I mean, you obviously call her to the stand. Then you say just kidding and you specially except to the pleading and tell the court the hearing cannot go on.

I chickened out! Application for Temporary Injunction: denied. So I guess I made the right call by not stirring the poo poo.

Plus, OC wasn't objecting to ANY of my questions to her only witness (the plaintiff), so I just went to town, picking up perjury like it was Halloween candy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I've never met a patent attorney IRL but this thread is lousy with them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I've never met a patent attorney IRL but this thread is lousy with them.

As a small, bitter Jew, I can say the only people I've met smaller, more bitter and jewier than me are patent attorneys and Gilbert Gottfried.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

As a small, bitter Jew, I can say the only people I've met smaller, more bitter and jewier than me are patent attorneys and Gilbert Gottfried.

Try being a small bitter Jewish patent attorney.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I only know one patent attorney and he seems pretty happy, but he is in house.
Also, Calvin's dad was a patent attorney so that is what I see when I think patent attorney.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kalman posted:

Try being a small bitter Jewish patent attorney.

I know lots of those.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm applying for jobs on Tuesday (for a patent attorney position)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm applying for jobs on Tuesday (for a patent attorney position)

Rate your bitterness on a scale of coffee with soy milk to a spurned woman, your Jewyness on a scale of John Stewart to Paula Abdul, and your smallness on a scale of Ving Rhames to Vern Troyer. Multiply all three and it's like an LSAT for patent attorneys.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I just want to point out this guy got waitlisted at Harvard with a 3.75/180 and is now getting a phd.

loving apply while your 180 is live man.
The worst case scenario is you don't get into hys and don't go.

Apply this year and ask them to defer admission for a year so you can complete your phd.

Oh poo poo, this hadn't even occurred to me at all. I thought my LSAT would've expired by now. fuuucccckkkk

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BigHead posted:

your Jewyness on a scale of John Stewart to Paula Abdul

You're saying Jon Stewart isn't Jewy? :confused:

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

Also, Calvin's dad was a patent attorney so that is what I see when I think patent attorney.

"This is the story of the hydraulic pump (Fig. 1), the wheel shaft flange (Fig. 2), and the evil patent infringement..."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigHead posted:

Rate your bitterness on a scale of coffee with soy milk to a spurned woman, your Jewyness on a scale of John Stewart to Paula Abdul, and your smallness on a scale of Ving Rhames to Vern Troyer. Multiply all three and it's like an LSAT for patent attorneys.

bitter, jewish, but not small

where does this get me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alaemon posted:

"This is the story of the hydraulic pump (Fig. 1), the wheel shaft flange (Fig. 2), and the evil patent infringement..."

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1988/12/03
lawyer.jpg

My dad was a lawyer who liked to mountain bike. Unfortunately, I did not have a stuffed tiger.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

nm posted:

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1988/12/03
lawyer.jpg

My dad was a lawyer who liked to mountain bike. Unfortunately, I did not have a stuffed tiger.

Not having stuffed animals builds character.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

nm posted:

I only know one patent attorney and he seems pretty happy, but he is in house.

Being an in house patent attorney owns bones.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Being an in house patent attorney owns bones.
I'm convinced that going in house is a mirage. Most of the patent attorneys I interact with who are in house work the same crazy hours that I do for less money, and with no hope of hitting it big by making partner. They also seem stressed out most of the time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ersatz posted:

I'm convinced that going in house is a mirage. Most of the patent attorneys I interact with who are in house work the same crazy hours that I do for less money, and with no hope of hitting it big by making partner. They also seem stressed out most of the time.

Whereas the hope of making partner is not a mirage, not at all.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Whereas the hope of making partner is not a mirage, not at all.
Fair enough. But, all other things being equal (and they are not), some chance is better than none.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ersatz posted:

Fair enough. But, all other things being equal (and they are not), some chance is better than none.

But even then, if you don't become the right type of partner, your life is still miserable. Gotta be the kind whose reputation is good enough or personality is popular enough that it brings in or keeps lots of clients, but whose work is fungible enough that you can hand it off to underlings. If you become a partner because you're really good at something in a way that few other people are, then you have to do everything yourself to keep clients happy. If you become a partner because you're fairly competent and you work extremely hard, then you'll be expected to work extremely hard until you burn out.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MoFauxHawk posted:

But even then, if you don't become the right type of partner, your life is still miserable. Gotta be the kind whose reputation is good enough or personality is popular enough that it brings in or keeps lots of clients, but whose work is fungible enough that you can hand it off to underlings. If you become a partner because you're really good at something in a way that few other people are, then you have to do everything yourself to keep clients happy. If you become a partner because you're fairly competent and you work extremely hard, then you'll be expected to work extremely hard until you burn out.
Yeah, anyone at any point on the firm track should count on some amount of miserable. The trick for a new partner, I think, is to save enough to make it possible to live off interest once the burnout inevitably happens. Dropping half of after-tax income into student loan repayments for years helps in developing that kind of discipline.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 12, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, anyone at any point on the firm track should count on some amount of miserable. The trick for a new partner, I think, is to save enough to make it possible to live off interest once the burnout inevitably happens. Dropping half of after-tax income into student loan repayments for years helps in developing that kind of discipline.

I think the key is to build up a book of business big enough that you can pawn most things off to associates and pick and choose your cases. Now if only that was easy or predictable.
The real key is to get a government job. I have Monday off because of some genocidal Italian employed by Spain. Woo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Until your government job is drowning in bureaucracy and ugh I want to go private sector (DC only)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Reasons to go to law school: after graduating, you may some day get to contemplate making a chart of which partners always use two spaces after every period, which use just one space, and which use a random numbers of spaces between 1-10 until it "looks right." Every one of these men will correct any other usage and send the document back to you to revise, and none understand or care about proportional-width fonts and whatever has been "correct" for the past decade or so.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

the milk machine posted:

Reasons to go to law school: after graduating, you may some day get to contemplate making a chart of which partners always use two spaces after every period, which use just one space, and which use a random numbers of spaces between 1-10 until it "looks right." Every one of these men will correct any other usage and send the document back to you to revise, and none understand or care about proportional-width fonts and whatever has been "correct" for the past decade or so.
One partner I worked with wouldn't even look at a draft until the period spacing was correct. Even if we had only 24 hours to turn around a draft.

Of course, I have forgotten whether he wanted one space or two.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

the milk machine posted:

It is two loving spaces. I shall accept nothing else!
Yes, my dad was a partner and reviewed helped proof my papers in high school.
Seriously though, one space is a travesty. I even try to do two while posting on sa on my cell phone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh good, it's time for this debate again

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh good, it's time for this debate again

There is no debate. Only a correct answer and wrong ones. Two is the correct answer.
Let's move to harvard commas.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Justified Margins = It doesn't loving matter and looks better.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

blarzgh posted:

Yeah. Of course, the partner that is the firm's most ardent supporter of two spaces after a period also justifies everything.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I am a big fan of justified. I will still use two spaces because reasons.
However, the absolute worst is when people use pleading paper but don't space out the lines to line up with the numbers. Especially if they have two many lines.

This is a loving plague in both da and pd offices.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

However, the absolute worst is when people use pleading paper but don't space out the lines to line up with the numbers. Especially if they have two many lines.

The firm I was at before my clerkship only occasionally did CA matters. No matter how many times our CA attorney tried to explain this to our secretaries & even provided them with Word templates, they'd inevitably screw up the lines. So we'd have to spend far more time than is reasonable fixing it.

And then we'd see OC's filings, which didn't even bother to try and get anything but the first line on a page correct. So I guess we had that going for us?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 13, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Cite to Plaintiff's Original Petition, Pg. 3, Line ~17/18

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What's wrong with justified margins?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
It bothers and triggers me that SA posts don't save the whitespace with 2 spaces. Like this just had 2 spaces, but it looks like one. I still put them in anyway: God knows my true heart.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

It bothers and triggers me that SA posts don't save the whitespace with 2 spaces. Like this just had 2 spaces, but it looks like one. I still put them in anyway: God knows my true heart.

Same. I'm sure it was radium's fault.

Arcturas posted:

The firm I was at before my clerkship only occasionally did CA matters. No matter how many times our CA attorney tried to explain this to our secretaries & even provided them with Word templates, they'd inevitably screw up the lines. So we'd have to spend far more time than is reasonable fixing it.

And then we'd see OC's filings, which didn't even bother to try and get anything but the first line on a page correct. So I guess we had that going for us?

For 28 line:
Times New Roman 13
Line spacing at exactly 22.75pt

I'm happy I actually had to look that up. Unhappy that I'm spergy enough to have it saved AND looked it up to post it on the internet.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 13, 2014

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

woozle wuzzle posted:

It shows up when you get quoted. So I check every post to see who's a true OG

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Two spaces is literally a relic of not having PCs. Gotta move on guys

nm
Jan 28, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

What kind of relic are semicolons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

Confirmed one-spacer. Death to the infidel.

nm posted:

What kind of relic are semicolons?
A relic of last night (I was semi in your mom's colon)