Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't sweep someone onto concrete. Even in a competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Gadamer posted:

How did this happen?

Firstly, an epee is a stabbing instrument that is loving stiff as hell. I was lucky enough to be in an independent (not associated with any school or university public or private) club in high school with the then second ranked woman in junior epee. She was a beast and the best I ever did against her in a friendly match was maaaybe three to fifteen. One time we were wrapping up practice and much like rolling in BJJ, you finish the day with at least matches to five, like it's the opening of a USFA tourney. When the match started I didn't hear our coach say, "Fence" or "Aley! (whatever fence is in french) and she took a step towards me and lunged with all her might while I was just kinda staring off and standing completely still, barely holding up my epee at the ready. She caught me in the upper bicep and it torn the skin in a line through to my armpit. It left about an eight inch tear and made me literally scream something like, "HOLY gently caress HELL!" All my fencing gear was rated for competitions which meant it was nearly bullet proof. You also wear a really loving stiff lead armpit protector under your jacket that covers the area she hit for this reason. Somehow she torn my skin through all of this and I didn't know until I excused myself to the bathroom after the match and had to literally peel my protector off the skin. But it had a really nice stain I could show newbies to be like, "Don't gently caress around or this might happen."

I'm pretty sure I could kill someone with a comp epee. A foil of saber, not so much. Epee fencing is the closest to dueling in style and really fucks you up when you get to the higher levels of competition or you fence with high level people.

It still didn't hurt as bad as the time a high ranked guy somehow lunged and caught my in the palm of my hand because I was trying to flick my epee at him. That bled too. :)

Sorry to those of you that dislike newbie conversation of off topic stuff. The PSP posters need a place to talk about how stupidly we hurt ourselves.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

A Wry Smile posted:

I've gotta admit, I sometimes trip out on the moral implications of our sport too. Like, consensual violence is still basically violence, right? And what does that mean for me as a pacifist? In fact, I think that kind of sensitivity to the ethical implications of our actions is good, just like it's good to be aware of their legal ramifications. But calling a room full of people who are trying to reason with you bullies and thugs is just asking for trouble.

So like, if you're choking a guy and he gets a blood clot and dies because of your arterial manipulations, is that like unintentional assisted suicide or what?

Also...I know what your getting at here but you are really over analyzing it. People get killed in basically anything less than badminton. Have you ever seen a God damned jai alai match?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Moral violence is something that's inflicted on an unwilling party, the concept doesn't really apply in mutual competition.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Goons having existential crises itt

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 11, 2014

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
You guys are my rock.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Consensual and non-consensual violence are fairly easy to distinguish, ethically speaking.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Have we come to the conclusion that BJJ is morally indefensible? Because I'm okay with this.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Consensual and non-consensual violence are fairly easy to distinguish, ethically speaking.

What if my opponent has been drinking? Can they consent to violence?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Dangersim posted:

What if my opponent has been drinking? Can they consent to violence?

not in california

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

in fencing people are hitting each other really hard with swords

Yeah I fenced for about 15 years, including for my college and did the World Cup circuit. Curious how that injury happened, because a few people have died fencing from getting pierced under the arm.

Sounds lovely, Captain (they're saying "Allez!", as in "Go!"). Can always tell an epee fencer from the streaks on their front arm.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 11, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Gadamer posted:

Yeah I fenced for about 15 years, including for my college and did the World Cup circuit. Curious how that injury happened, because a few people have died fencing from getting pierced under the arm.

Sounds shotty, Captain (they're saying "Allez!", as in "Go!"). Can always tell an epee fencer from the streaks on their front arm.

You competed at a higher level than me, fellow fence man. Thank you very much for reminding me it's spelt "Allez" because that was going to drive me loving nuts.

This particular injury only had to do with being lunged at while basically standing still by an opponent who was ranked between one and three any given day. I can't really comprehend the experience of dealing with her on the strip. I'd been able to fence with legit A ranked ex-olympians from Russia that didn't bring the pain like her. It wasn't intentional, she just hit like a truck with the precision of a...precise thing...a sniper? Sure that works.

I always playfully teased my fellow saber and foil fencers that if the apocalypse ever hit and all we could find were car antennas they might be helpful to know.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Stop saying badminton isn't dangerous:

Its THE most dangerous!!

http://medind.nic.in/jal/t07/i4/jalt07i4p115.pdf

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Stop saying badminton isn't dangerous:

Its THE most dangerous!!

http://medind.nic.in/jal/t07/i4/jalt07i4p115.pdf

Well I'll be God damned.

There must of been a lot of old people playing badminton at the home.

Fun fact - The shuttlecock is the fastest moving "game ball" in sports.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Well I'll be God damned.

There must of been a lot of old people playing badminton at the home.

Fun fact - The shuttlecock is the fastest moving "game ball" in sports.

Jai alai? Are you telling me it moves faster then a major league fastball?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Dangersim posted:

Jai alai? Are you telling me it moves faster then a major league fastball?

I looked this stuff up in college. Fastest was shuttlecock nearly hitting 170mph but it decelerates incredibly quick. Second was Jai Alai. Third was...I have no loving idea. I just remember the first two.

Edit : After some cursory dicking around on the internet it looks like jai alai holds the record in the Guinness Book of World Records but some other sources said badminton. At least my top two seemed to be not full of poo poo.

Double Edit : A website about the hard core world of badminton!

http://www.victorsport.com/coach_detail_6580.html

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 11, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hahaha glad I could start that flame war. With my story about a lovely college competition.

If it makes you animals feel better my next tournament I had to be literally pulled off a guy because I had a clock choke and was deaf to anything except the creek of his finger joints as I tried to break them in order or lock in the choke.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What the hell this isn't the poppycock or sticky point thread. Post about steroids and dudes' junk hitting your face in north south.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Xguard86 posted:

Hahaha glad I could start that flame war. With my story about a lovely college competition.

If it makes you animals feel better my next tournament I had to be literally pulled off a guy because I had a clock choke and was deaf to anything except the creek of his finger joints as I tried to break them in order or lock in the choke.

Brother, the time has come to activate protocol "gently caress Matt Hughes" because you have transcended this plane.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Haha I was taught very early on to get your hand all the way up to your face or you're going to wake up with broken fingers.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Haha I was taught very early on to get your hand all the way up to your face or you're going to wake up with broken fingers.

I asked the week before what to do and I got the official answer about positions blah blah transition don't be an rear end in a top hat.

and then a brown belt came up to me after class and said "or you just break them"

I travel all week now so no more competitions. I've never even competed at purple, feel kinda lovely about that.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

My coach asked me if I would mind teaching some Fridays when he is out of town. I told him I would be honored to but secretly I'm also crazy intimidated by the opportunity. I mean he's an amazing world renowned coach how the hell can I fill in for that?

Oh and here's my favorite jai alai related thing ever

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMTNflAnEE

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If he's asking you're ready. The fact that you're taking it seriously means you will be sure to take good care of the students.

I don't train, but I just found out I can roll at a local gym for less than 50 a month. I think I'm about to start. I'm old, fat and I get vertigo but I really want to do this.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Petition to get the crazy guy who trains with Ben Rothwell in here. I don't think he even grapples, but hell, it'll be fun.

Please no. I'm afraid his obsession with Ben Rothwell will spiral out of control and then things could get very dark. Like literally I get worried when I read his posts

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
There's a ben rothwell edition of willie dee?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Gregor Samsa posted:

There's a ben rothwell edition of willie dee?

Except less about gay sex and more about murder suicide.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Novum posted:

Except less about gay sex and more about murder suicide.

I'm sorry, the answer you were looking for is "Justin Levens"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Let's be considerate since he might read this thread and everyone has their own hangups and issues (although probably not even approaching the same degree). Even though we all want our fight buds to be healthy and happy the ask/tell thread probably shouldn't double as a mental health avenue since the only things we're all good at is killing our braincells and being cretins online. I'm not a mod though so whatever.

If he and I were to ever meet on the mat though I would lateral drop him onto this mystery concrete so hard..

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The ref has already hosed up by not resetting you by that point (or the tournament sucks by not having enough mat space), but no, it would not be a penalty unless it was deemed you did something maliciously. Like, if you pick a guy up in a fireman's carry, walk over to the scorer's table, and dump your opponent on it, that's not good, and it's why there's usually a catch-all "unsportsmanlike conduct" rule for competitions.

It's perfectly legal under IBJJF rules so long as it's the Spanish announcer's table and you've agreed on a Hardcore match.

IT BEGINS posted:

Are you going to refrain from heel hooks and toe holds just because they're more likely to injure your opponent?

Let's talk about the guy who thought a toe hold was when you try to fold your opponent's foot in half, because that was awesome.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
There was another guy that laughed at Rich Clementi for tapping to a toehold in an mma fight like it was some mystical TMA technique that doesn't actually work.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

origami posted:

There was another guy that laughed at Rich Clementi for tapping to a toehold in an mma fight like it was some mystical TMA technique that doesn't actually work.

Didn't that guy demonstrate that he had no idea what a toehold was?

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Let's talk about the guy who thought a toe hold was when you try to fold your opponent's foot in half, because that was awesome.

This is the guy I'm talking about. He made Fozzy look clever.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Sphinxster posted:

Didn't that guy demonstrate that he had no idea what a toehold was?

This is the guy I'm talking about. He made Fozzy look clever.

It wasn't him being dumb so much as him being such an incredibly smug dork. He threatened to dojo storm Ricardo Almeida and show him what a judo brown belt is capable of, and then explained that a judoka would beat a wrestler in an MMA match because he would sprawl and get a gi choke. When informed that MMA fighters don't wear gis, he said the UFC is just "combat prizefighting" and real MMA is in gis.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think we're talking about someone else. The guy that laughed at Clementi was some hipster dork that no longer posts in PSP

e: oh the foot folding guy was civildisobedience never mind

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sorry if I got my wires crossed.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I'm really enjoying watching my legend grow.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CivilDisobedience posted:

I'm really enjoying watching my legend grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Can you roll with the punches in a grappling thread? Mods?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

origami posted:

Let's be considerate since he might read this thread and everyone has their own hangups and issues (although probably not even approaching the same degree). Even though we all want our fight buds to be healthy and happy the ask/tell thread probably shouldn't double as a mental health avenue since the only things we're all good at is killing our braincells and being cretins online. I'm not a mod though so whatever.

If he and I were to ever meet on the mat though I would lateral drop him onto this mystery concrete so hard..

Yeah, very true. His situation is very tough and I'm glad he has a healthy outlet and it's nice to see the encouragement from other posters. I am a thug online (and apparently IRL) though and sometimes would like to see less mental health stuff and more martial arts stuff. And if that guy were my training partner I would be incredibly nice, considerate, humble and encouraging to him.

I would also lateral drop him onto concrete if we were competing though, and if I had to cross face him I'd try to give him a bloody nose while doing it, and various other dick moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So how about this? Where 10th planet and the Marcelotine collide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZQNgG2hNc

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 12, 2014