Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:black101:

That's the left hand! What a terrible artist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Third Murderer posted:

I would actually love for Kit to die right now, honestly. If I were writing the strip I'd have him die right there, and with his kids too young to take up the mantle Diana would be left to step in. Meanwhile, the Python escapes.

"Sometimes the Phantom who's been a man for hundreds of years turns into a woman for no reason at all." -- Old Jungle Saying

VictorGrunn fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 11, 2014

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hey, if Batiuk starts doing callbacks from when Les was just the school schlemiel, it could get somewhat interesting.

Here are the original strips to which that photo refers.*

*At least, these are some of them. I don't have every book, so for all I know Les got stuck up there more than once.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 11, 2014

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

It... It is! N-no... :negative:

VictorGrunn posted:

"Sometimes the Phantom who's been a man for hundreds of years turns into a woman for no reason at all." -- Old Jungle Saying

It would be perfectly reasonable for the Phantom to stick to the shadows and avoid being seen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

Vikings have hairy knuckles, what of it

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Third Murderer posted:

It would be perfectly reasonable for the Phantom to stick to the shadows and avoid being seen.

How? This is a guy who regularly consults with tribal chiefs in public. He literally played a role in negotiating between one tribe's leader and some construction worker team over mineral rights. (Which I thought was hilarious, by the way. Like these western construction workers had to pretend that the big guy in purple spandex being there wasn't goddamn weird.)

The only way I can see it working is if Diana turns into some kind of ninja, who exclusively knocks people out before they ever lay eyes on her, maybe wearing the skull ring. Putting aside that being that kick-rear end doesn't seem like Diana's thing - at that point she wouldn't be taking up the Phantom's mantle, or dressing like him, or hanging around in the very-obvious skull cave, etc. She'd just be some ninja version of Savarna, waiting for her son to grow up so he could actually do the job, and in the meantime fighting off threats however she could.

MrSocko
May 14, 2004
Dry Clean Only

VictorGrunn posted:

How? This is a guy who regularly consults with tribal chiefs in public. He literally played a role in negotiating between one tribe's leader and some construction worker team over mineral rights. (Which I thought was hilarious, by the way. Like these western construction workers had to pretend that the big guy in purple spandex being there wasn't goddamn weird.)

The only way I can see it working is if Diana turns into some kind of ninja, who exclusively knocks people out before they ever lay eyes on her, maybe wearing the skull ring. Putting aside that being that kick-rear end doesn't seem like Diana's thing - at that point she wouldn't be taking up the Phantom's mantle, or dressing like him, or hanging around in the very-obvious skull cave, etc. She'd just be some ninja version of Savarna, waiting for her son to grow up so he could actually do the job, and in the meantime fighting off threats however she could.

I thought Heloise wanted to be the 22nd Phantom more than Kit did. Did I imagine that comic where the two of them talked about it?

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

MrSocko posted:

I thought Heloise wanted to be the 22nd Phantom more than Kit did. Did I imagine that comic where the two of them talked about it?

No idea - it's possible for all I recall. (I've been following this for ages, but it's easy to lose track.) But really, how would it work? I suppose you can just say, 'Well, now everyone knows that the Phantom story is a whole lot of poo poo' or 'Suddenly the Phantom has gender-changing powers' or the like. In the same way Gilchrist can do what he did to Nancy. "To hell with it, Phil Fumble's a Christian Fabio now!"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

VictorGrunn posted:

It's a comic strip. You may be overthinking it.

Haha, cats don't care about Monday! Stupid.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Takes a MAD Look at Protest Demonstrations (MAD #132, January 1970)

Given what's going on in Ferguson, that last cartoon is still relevant.

The Lighter Side of... (MAD #334, March/April 1995)

Tales from the Duck Side (MAD #334, March/April 1995)

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

The Sphinxster posted:

It's a comic strip. You may be overthinking it.

Yeah, of all the places to point out what does and doesn't make sense in a comic, I think I've found the right thread. :raise:

On that note - I wish The Creeps had a tip jar or some way to donate to the author. Does GoComics do that? Because I am consistently impressed by that strip. It's rare I enjoy something enough that I want to pick up merch or donate for it, but that one's qualifying.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

VictorGrunn posted:

Yeah, of all the places to point out what does and doesn't make sense in a comic, I think I've found the right thread. :raise:

On that note - I wish The Creeps had a tip jar or some way to donate to the author. Does GoComics do that? Because I am consistently impressed by that strip. It's rare I enjoy something enough that I want to pick up merch or donate for it, but that one's qualifying.

Obviously ¡La Fantoma! just needs to be as brutal as possible and have the Bandar refer to the Phantom as a woman. Maybe throw in a "the Ghost Who Walks knows no gender, only Justice!"*

* old jungle saying

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County will now come to order.

Calvin And Hobbes makes a golf joke kind of.

Ripley's

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Kennel posted:

Clearly Val is just so awesome that sheer force of his sword blows can cause enemy appendages to swap, as if by magic.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

VictorGrunn posted:

I complain about the writing in Luann so I am being a giant hypocrite.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I guess what I'm saying is that I think the difficulties the Walker family would have in maintaining the Phantom myth while no one in the family is capable of appearing in public as the character would make for an interesting story? If you wanted things to return to normal after a while you have the kids grow up and let the younger Kit take over as the 22nd Phantom eventually. But maybe Kit should just heal up and then go taunt a helpless prisoner some more or swim in his money bin, I guess that would be okay too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

That's pretty much how everybody should feel every day in this comic.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros & Cons

Not always
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/11/meet-the-most-indebted-man-in-the-world/264413/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thundaar, you dumbass, literally all the Britons saw you pull that trick and you repeat it exactly not once but twice.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Gee really had to twist Mary's arm to get her to meddle, didn't you, Toby? "I thought maybe you'd talk to he-" "YES I WILL RIGHT NOW!"

Rex Morgan MD

Sometime's Kelly seems a little creepy in her dedication to the Morgan clan.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

HANNA DINGDON.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Sometime's Kelly seems a little creepy in her dedication to the Morgan clan.

You would be too, if you were getting all that sweet, sweet, unearned fortune runoff.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Julet Esqu posted:

You would be too, if you were getting all that sweet, sweet, unearned fortune runoff.

No poo poo. That unearned prosperity is contagious.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lowen SoDium posted:

No poo poo. That unearned prosperity is contagious.

I dunno, can a teenager pay the taxes on a gift car? :v:

as if this strip ever acknowledges taxes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo: Sometimes the simplest ones smack you the hardest. (October 13, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (July 19-21, 1951)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

At least she let Tiffany join the party. :unsmith:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"hmmm how can I make Luann even more unlikable"

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

All girls carry mad money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frCr6eq2Vfc

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mad Money!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

kidcoelacanth posted:

"hmmm how can I make Luann even more unlikable"

The strip or the character?

Both.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My mom and women she knew used to carry poo poo like big padlocks and rocks, anything dense and heavy that would fit in a purse, in the days before mace and tasers. An impromptu club is better than nothing, I suppose.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Wh...where did her pupils go? :tinfoil:

She's dead and in a dream bubble, maybe soon she'll remember how Les killed her, shaved her head and dumped her body in a bathtub full of bleach while moaning about Lisa.

Mister Beeg posted:

The Lighter Side of Air Travel (MAD #150, April 1972)

Good god that legroom. And it probably wouldn't cost two thousand dollars just to leave my lovely continent.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The dairy union has an inordinate amount of power in Canada. You could get raided in Quebec if you tried to sell any margarine that even looked like butter. In Ontario they used to include a little yellow food colouring packet that you stirred in yourself to skirt around the law.

It was not repealed until 2008.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

The dairy union has an inordinate amount of power in Canada. You could get raided in Quebec if you tried to sell any margarine that even looked like butter. In Ontario they used to include a little yellow food colouring packet that you stirred in yourself to skirt around the law.

It was not repealed until 2008.

That's ok because margarine is poo poo. We had that down south here in the Cradle of Freedom, too.

We still have crazy laws about what can and cannot go into cheese, thus American cheese is poo poo.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Pages and pages of grey asses!

Cul-de-sac

Heathcliff Looks like we're back to normal folks

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
That's a pretty BLAMMO Heathcliff!

Pickles: Remember, your cat hates you.

Bleeker: And so does Karl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I don't know what this means.

Mary Worth

I love the extreme close up in panel 4. It adds a certain intensity to this conversation.

Rex Morgan MD

• Locked thread