Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

But the many pages of this thread where people deconstruct the game to figure out how it works, where it doesn't, and how it could be fixed are sure signs of a group of toxic negative-minded haters who aren't interested in playing and only want to talk about how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ascendance posted:

Its only an excuse because you think my reason is invalid.

I mean, I seriously thought about running ACKS until I took a look at the saving throw tables, and the proficiency system, and I was like, "nope. Not gonna work for me."

You do realize you're being disingenuous, right? People pointing out things like the CR system being useless as an estimate for encounter difficulty, martial vs caster balance, bad spell/bestiary list formatting and mechanics like 1-hour short rests and the Wild Surge table are no less valid criticisms for "I don't like this game for these reasons" than you going "ACKS still uses the saving throw mechanic from original versions of D&D"

How would you feel if someone came into the retroclone thread defending ACKS by saying they had fun with it?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Bottom line: A bad product gets bad press. If you don't like it, tough, deal. We, as customers and testers, get to poo poo on it as much you get to defend it, and probably even more justifiably. Should I go ahead and tell you about how I knew Next was going to be bad from the moment they tried to spin axing the Warlord as a positive thing? That's when I decided the team wasn't getting my money, even though I went ahead and played the game just to be sure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nobody's even really defending it. We get posts about how 5e lets you roll dice and play a character, so we shouldn't poo poo on it. I just wonder why, is all.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like, people don't hate that you like the game. I like plenty of bad or flawed games. 4e has a lot of flaws. Shadowrun is mechanically bad.

The catch is that the Shadowrun thread has Shadowrun fans acknowledging the bad, blaming the developers and producers for it, and then talking about either fixes to the system or alternate systems you can use. At no point are the bad mechanics just washed over with "They aren't REALLY bad, you can fix it."

You aren't doing that. You're getting upset at stage one: admitting the game has flaws.
This is totally not true. You are projecting.

I don't disagree with people, say, asserting that the encounter building system is broken. Thats a fair claim to make. I dont necessarily agree with the assertions that not having tanking abilities makes a fighter mechanically broken, but again, if thats what your style of play demands, thats a reasonable complaint to make.

I disagree with being called an idiot for liking 5e, and being constantly confronted with, "why dont you just play a better game?" I dont agree with fans of 5e being harrassed and talked down to.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

ascendance posted:

This is totally not true. You are projecting.

I don't disagree with people, say, asserting that the encounter building system is broken. Thats a fair claim to make. I dont necessarily agree with the assertions that not having tanking abilities makes a fighter mechanically broken, but again, if thats what your style of play demands, thats a reasonable complaint to make.

I disagree with being called an idiot for liking 5e, and being constantly confronted with, "why dont you just play a better game?" I dont agree with fans of 5e being harrassed and talked down to.

I wasn't aware we were calling people who like Next idiots? Could you point out specifically where that happened? I've really enjoyed my Next games so far, even with the problems with some rules.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

You do realize you're being disingenuous, right? People pointing out things like the CR system being useless as an estimate for encounter difficulty, martial vs caster balance, bad spell/bestiary list formatting and mechanics like 1-hour short rests and the Wild Surge table are no less valid criticisms for "I don't like this game for these reasons" than you going "ACKS still uses the saving throw mechanic from original versions of D&D"

How would you feel if someone came into the retroclone thread defending ACKS by saying they had fun with it?
Why not? Retroclones arent really my bag, so i dont go into the retroclones thread to complain about how they are all mechanically broken. I dont do that with the FATE or DW thread, which are both games I'm not into either. And if I did, i would be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Is it so loving wrong to want a thread discussing a game to be for fans of a game?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Do any of them start wringing their hands about the MORASS OF NEGATIVITY if anybody agrees with them?

Or are there any Leafs fans who insist the Leafs are the only real hockey team, and every other team is just an MMO?
Im sure there are people who do both.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

goldjas posted:

At the end of the day I think most people just want the new edition of the gateway / big dog game of the hobby to not be...whatever 5E is, whether you actually like it or not. (My huge personal beef with it as being primarily a DM is the Monster Design, I can live with the rest of it's flaws but that one just really gets to me).
Yeah, I get that. But all the anger and vitriol here isn't going to magically change reality so 5e disappears. 5e might die, and then the big dog game is going to be Pathfinder, which is, in my opinion, and seemingly in the opinions of many here, not going to be a huge improvement, except in the matter of not having Zak or Tarnowski on the credits page.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

Is Next even getting any vitriol? It's aggressively mediocre, and bad in a lot of places. But aside from two shitstains in the credits, there's really nothing between the covers worth getting mad at.
I feel like I can agree with the aggressively mediocre part,

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you can find something interesting to say positively about 5e, just post. That's the point a lot of people are making; there's just not that much interesting to discuss about the game if you're going to forbid all negativity.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

First comparing it to RIFTS, then the Maple Leafs. Next's biggest proponents in this thread are doing a better job of selling people off of it then the people bagging on it.
Excellence is less important than a lot of people seem to think it should be. You may argue that this is unfortunate.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So how much extra damage should Fighters be doing with each attack?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ascendance posted:

That's an extremely difficult question to approach because without some sort of standardized approach to monster building, which there isn't, there's no way to know whether or not any given solution to the fighters damage problem will be appropriate or simply invalidate a host of monsters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

ascendance posted:

Excellence is less important than a lot of people seem to think it should be.

New NEXT tagline spotted. Also new thread title. Also, you just summed up the mentality of Next fans: "Why settle for more when less will do?".

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

S.J. posted:

That's an extremely difficult question to approach because without some sort of standardized approach to monster building, which there isn't, there's no way to know whether or not any given solution to the fighters damage problem will be appropriate or simply invalidate a host of monsters.
Its pretty clearly established that encounter building is broken, so we are going to have to wing it with monsters anyway.

Basically, its just a matter of tinkering at this point so fighter DPR that isnt dual wielding hand crossbows is as good as dual wielding hand crossbows.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ascendance posted:

Excellence is less important than a lot of people seem to think it should be. You may argue that this is unfortunate.
Important to who?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Important to who?
Important to marketing a successful, popular product.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gently caress you ascendance for saying something bad about the Toronto Maple Leafs. You have lovely taste in hockey, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ascendance posted:

Its pretty clearly established that encounter building is broken, so we are going to have to wing it with monsters anyway.

Basically, its just a matter of tinkering at this point so fighter DPR that isnt dual wielding hand crossbows is as good as dual wielding hand crossbows.

Is dual crossbows actually good DPR though, or is it just the best the class can do?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

S.J. posted:

Is dual crossbows actually good DPR though, or is it just the best the class can do?

I thought dual handbows was just the cool way, but the ideal method was 1 handbow + shield for the extra AC?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ascendance posted:

Important to marketing a successful, popular product.
Then I'm well aware of this, thanks, and I'm not going to stop complaining about a mediocre product just because it's popular.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

gently caress you ascendance for saying something bad about the Toronto Maple Leafs. You have lovely taste in hockey, too.
Lol. I'm a loving traitor to the English-speaking world. An opportunistic supporter of a team just because they win. I'm the worst kind of hockey fan - a Habs fan.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

ascendance posted:

There's no correct answer to this question in the context of 5th Edition because the answer would be based around the types/lengths of fights that the party is going to get into. Since we can't rely on the encounter building guidelines to tell us what a 'reasonable' fight is there's no way to give you an answer. That's totally ignoring the fact that you start getting extra attacks that deal the same amount of damage later on or that you get access to action surge to double the attacks you get to make in a round. The entire system is flawed and causes them to scale awkwardly as they gain levels/gear.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Generic Octopus posted:

I thought dual handbows was just the cool way, but the ideal method was 1 handbow + shield for the extra AC?

I'm guessing the idea is to get one extra attack with the Sharpshooter feat applied.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

I'm guessing the idea is to get one extra attack with the Sharpshooter feat applied.

Right, but from what I remember it didn't necessitate a 2nd handbow.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Generic Octopus posted:

Right, but from what I remember it didn't necessitate a 2nd handbow.

You don't get the extra attack from two weapon fighting without actually having a 2nd weapon though.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TenaciousJ posted:

That, and the Crossbow Expert feat for the bonus action attack (take that at level 1). And a shield, and the +2 to ranged weapon accuracy boost.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TenaciousJ posted:

You don't get the extra attack from two weapon fighting without actually having a 2nd weapon though.

You don't need to be TWF; Crossbow Expert gives you an extra attack as a bonus action.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

TenaciousJ posted:

You're not getting the second attack from two-weapon fighting, you're getting it from Crossbow Expert. Two-weapon fighting specifies melee attacks, and you need Crossbow Expert to get extra attacks anyway.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

RPZip posted:

You're not getting the second attack from two-weapon fighting, you're getting it from Crossbow Expert. Two-weapon fighting specifies melee attacks, and you need Crossbow Expert to get extra attacks anyway.

Generic Octopus posted:

You don't need to be TWF; Crossbow Expert gives you an extra attack as a bonus action.

I missed that. I'm a DM and I mostly play casters so I didn't look that hard. Good to know!

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

So why do people use 2 crossbows again? Oh wait, doesnt the extra attack have to come from a crossbow in your offhand?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ascendance posted:

So why do people use 2 crossbows again? Oh wait, doesnt the extra attack have to come from a crossbow in your offhand?

Not according to the feat. Psure people just use 2 because it looks & sounds cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Generic Octopus posted:

Not according to the feat. Psure people just use 2 because it looks & sounds cool.

It does. Howver I will check if its true.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Arivia posted:

Well, the Leafs are pretty bad. Now let me tell you about the Flames! Stanley Cup potenti- :negative:

Nexttalk: Gonna reboot the PF game I was running with the neice and nephew soon. Niece really liked the art (aside from the halflings).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ascendance posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

It does. Howver I will check if its true.

Dammit Monster, I thought we learned to check the book before posting.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I'm lazy and incompetent, what's a good one-stop summary of what's wrong with 5e?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cerepol posted:

Dammit Monster, I thought we learned to check the book before posting.

The "it does" was talking about the "Psure people just use 2 because it looks & sounds cool." part.

Then I said I was going to check if you need two for it to work. You did the work for me here however.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Oligopsony posted:

I'm lazy and incompetent, what's a good one-stop summary of what's wrong with 5e?

Four necromancers summoning skeletons on the edge of a cliff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Oligopsony posted:

Mike Mearls got drunk over the weekend and forgot to do his term paper, so he adjusted one he did a a while back and submitted that instead.