Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I picked up a copy of the hardcover Hyrule Warriors guide. It has a good guide for Adventure Mode. It will set you back about $25 to $35 and Gamestop might have one. They were on Amazon dot com as well so you could check there.

Other than that you're next best bet is gamefaqs dot com :cry:

If you want to get one on the cheap, when you buy a physical copy of the hintbook, it comes with a code to access a digital version of the book on a computer. You might be able to find someone who bought the physical book and doesn't care about the digital code and might sell it to you or let you have it for free. Try ebay?

edit: Found someone selling a digital code for the book for $5 on ebay. Do a search for "Hyrule Warriors Primagames eGuide"

edit2: For anyone wanting to unlock weapons in game, here's a nice free online guide for where they are hidden. http://whatsyourtagblog.com/2014/10/01/hyrule-warriors-how-to-unlock-all-weapons/

Looking at it, the digital guide is online only. You can't download it from Prima.

also please someone do the obviously correct thing where you can click on a square of the adventure mode map and be taken to a page about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just unlocked the mission before the one where you unlock the Summoning Gate. You know, the one where you have to fight Gohma, Argorok, and The Imprisoned one at a timeall on top of each other?

I remember seeing someone talk about how some combos are better at wearing down big boss meters than others. Is that the case? Because these guys all suck.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just unlocked the mission before the one where you unlock the Summoning Gate. You know, the one where you have to fight Gohma, Argorok, and The Imprisoned one at a timeall on top of each other?

I remember seeing someone talk about how some combos are better at wearing down big boss meters than others. Is that the case? Because these guys all suck.

It depends on which character you're using. I suggest using Ganondorf. A fully charged Y followed by a BBBBY combo (and a special attack if needed) will take out Gohma's or Argorok's bars in one go. Imprisoned seems hard locked such that you can't do much more than half his bar each down. Go for Gohma first.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Sheik is great for that level, as she is for every level. The water shield doesn't block against the Imprisoned's lightning footsteps, but it blocks everything else and I think her YYYYX murders weak point gauges.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've found that Link's gauntlet's BBBBY combo really wrecks boss meters too. I used him to clear that mission and had loads of time to spare. The basic combo is really safe to use against Imprisoned too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Wild Knight posted:

Sheik is great for that level, as she is for every level. The water shield doesn't block against the Imprisoned's lightning footsteps, but it blocks everything else and I think her YYYYX murders weak point gauges.

Also because the best way to take out its toes is with a special, and she can use the Prelude of Light to charge her special if there aren't any mooks around to kill

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I found a good way to (for at least Sheik) unlock the slots on items that require X many KO's to see what they are and to use them.

There is a level in adventure mode where all attacks are devastating. Have Sheik use her Song of Storms electricity barrier. Then, just rush through a wave of monsters. In a few minutes you can kill 500-600 bad guys since each zap of the lightning is an instant kill even for generals.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You can also use Zelda's wind waker X if you want to unlock Baton skills in the same fashion.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

This guy is a loving hero.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

that Link body pillow is hilarious

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Regy Rusty posted:

The one thing I'm disappointed that this game doesn't have is situations where you fight the playable characters wielding their non-default weapons. There's that one Legend mode level with Ganondorf where the Impa clones have the Naginata, but unless there are some special endgame levels I haven't seen yet that have them, that's it. I wanna fight Gauntlet Link and Summoning Gate Lana!

Speaking of, right after I read this post, I did a Network Link mission, and the Link on my team was using the Power Glove! (the level 3 gauntlet) so its possible in those missions, I guess. Dunno if you can fight AGAINST them however

Edit: Did a second Network Link battle and I just see Link running around with the 8-Bit sword and I'm just laughing my rear end off

FighterKnuckles fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 11, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

This guy is a loving hero.

Link to any more of this guy's stuff? He did some Dark Souls things as well right?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Link to any more of this guy's stuff? He did some Dark Souls things as well right?

Artist is Setz.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=835590
http://setzeri.deviantart.com/
http://setzeri.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/Setzeri
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=setz

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Yeah, his name is Setz. http://setzeri.tumblr.com/

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So I find the Warriors games to be boring poo poo but this game is clicking as a great co op experience. Prolly the Zelda fan service is what's doing it. Glad I gambled on this game because it owns.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It does own. The gameplay is still simplistic as poo poo but it's the goofy fanservice and the fact that there's a loving lot of content that makes it a winner to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lessail posted:

Looking at it, the digital guide is online only. You can't download it from Prima.

also please someone do the obviously correct thing where you can click on a square of the adventure mode map and be taken to a page about it

I might eventually do this if I ever loving finish it. I'm sporadically updating my spreadsheet, although less so with what enemies are involved. The thing is, I've been playing a lot in terms of my free time, and I haven't even cleared a third of the square yet, let alone beat them with A rank or gotten all the skulltulas from them.

The basic rule I've found for the Adventure ones is "Get good enough that you can safely capture every keep without getting wrecked or your base falling apart" and you'll easy get all the heart containers, an A rank and, obviously the 1,000 kills skulltula.

Some of the challenge mode ones are similar, some of them have some strategy involved and some of them are "use the bow and loving pray nobody gets a hit in."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm having trouble with Zant's level 3 weapon. The problem is one I haven't encountered before - I can't do it fast enough. I can kill Fi and Sheik quickly, but the two Aerolfos captains are very slow and then Girahim in particular takes forever. Seriously Girahim took me like 5 minutes chipping away at his health. How can I make this go faster? I have a 5 star level 2 weapon but even the weak point smashes do piddling damage against him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

It does own. The gameplay is still simplistic as poo poo but it's the goofy fanservice and the fact that there's a loving lot of content that makes it a winner to me.

There's a lot of content, but a lot of it seems to be gated behind just big grinding walls. Also this style of game just isn't for everyone.

Mostly I'm just venting my frustration at Agitha's and Zant's level 3 missions. I may just be underleveled on them, but Zant seems to suck rear end against single targets and has terrible special and weakness attacks, and Agitha is so bad that I'm beginning to wonder whether she's even a completed character. Her butterfly is laughably ineffective and her basic combos are slow, weak, and super vulnerable.

Hell, Zant's weakness attack is so awful I honestly wish I could turn it off.

vvvv Literally the same thing happened to me. Ghirahim had a pixel's width on his bar left. It wasn't even visible.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 12, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agh I was an inch away from beating it and then I lost because Ganondorf died.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I haven't done a whole lot of grinding. I've played the bonus maps several times, sure, but they're fun and it's a good way to practice with new weapons on top of getting lots of money and XP, so it's not really that egregious to me. Granted I've only done probably 80 or so of the adventure maps, so I haven't got all of the level 3 maps yet, but some of the other hard level 3 missions (like Ruto's) just involved gittin' gud rather than grinding out more XP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I haven't done a whole lot of grinding. I've played the bonus maps several times, sure, but they're fun and it's a good way to practice with new weapons on top of getting lots of money and XP, so it's not really that egregious to me. Granted I've only done probably 80 or so of the adventure maps, so I haven't got all of the level 3 maps yet, but some of the other hard level 3 missions (like Ruto's) just involved gittin' gud rather than grinding out more XP.

Huh I just did Ruto's and I really didn't think it was that hard. The only difficulty I had was damage. Zant was a bit hard to kill, similarly to Girahim, but Ruto's area attacks and weak point smashes are so amazing that I was able to kill the captains so quickly that I had 8 minutes left to take out the boss.

With Zant, no matter what I do Girahim is at best a 7 minute fight, and I can only have time to do that if I don't clear out the powerful enemies that appear at the end, which means Ganondorf gets his dumb rear end stomped.

E: My Ruto is like 10 levels lower than Zant too. :geno:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 12, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm having trouble with Zant's level 3 weapon. The problem is one I haven't encountered before - I can't do it fast enough. I can kill Fi and Sheik quickly, but the two Aerolfos captains are very slow and then Girahim in particular takes forever. Seriously Girahim took me like 5 minutes chipping away at his health. How can I make this go faster? I have a 5 star level 2 weapon but even the weak point smashes do piddling damage against him.

IIRC the most damage you're going to get out of a single attack against both the Aerolfos and Ghirahim is the smash. For the Aerolfos, if you Y chain them they should start blocking then eventually push you back and start flying; this is good because now they'll either do flame breath or the plunging attack and both of those open their weak points. For Ghirahim there's the obvious wait for a weak point strategy but that takes too long, so what I did was give him a second to do an attack that exposed a weak point and if he didn't, launched him with YX then did a full Y combo. The combo doesn't do a whole bunch of damage but it is damage and it's better than waiting for him to do something dumb. This also works on the Aerolfos but depending on how much damage you're getting from smashing them you may want to stick with that. You can also try to get Strength IV and maybe Darkness+ on your weapon. If you can find some breathing room to set it up, the final energy blast on C4 does pretty good damage.

Also maybe try to have your crazy meter full/nearly full so your weapons glow red, someone itt said that gives you more damage?

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Didn't think they could make the Imprisoned as annoying as it was in Skyward Sword, but they did it. Those sons of bitches.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's kinda weird that the difficulty of these level 3 missions is all over the place. Fi's was absolutely effortless and she didn't even have a 5 star level 2 weapon yet!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fi's level 3 mission has the two keeps with the magic barriers and only one fairy right? Because gently caress that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ghirahim and Ganondorf have the easiest that I've done so far. Got both on the first shot without even really trying. That's not a brag, they're just really easy. They use zones with convenient layouts, don't throw hordes of powered up captains at you, and Ganondorf and Ghirahim are much better characters than Zant and Agitha.

The rest were a couple attempts each, but I'm not looking forward to level 3 baton or great fairy.

Seriously, the glowing yellow dinolfos, moblins, etc. are the worst thing about this game. They're incredibly boring and trivially easy to fight, but they just take an age to kill. I hate them even more than king dodongos who are intent on never doing anything other than walk forward or manhandlas who just spam poison.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 12, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Fi's level 3 mission has the two keeps with the magic barriers and only one fairy right? Because gently caress that.

Just ignore the keep that isn't the enemy base, you don't need it. Fi's was the easiest one I've done so far besides Link's sword.

Now Midna's was an awesome challenge. She's ridiculously powerful, so the level is designed not to make the individual enemies tough to kill, but instead to throw so many things at you to waste your time. I had to keep backtracking to kill all the siege captains and powerful troops that spawned to attack my base which wasted my time. Fortunately Ganondorf was a chump (like everyone when faced with Midna) and I killed him just over a minute with 30 seconds to spare.

See Zant why can't you be cool like Midna huh??

chumbler posted:

Seriously, the glowing yellow dinolfos, moblins, etc. are the worst thing about this game. They're incredibly boring and trivially easy to fight, but they just take an age to kill. I hate them even more than king dodongos who are intent on never doing anything other than walk forward or manhandlas who just spam poison.

Yeah I agree with this. The fact that they're so much stronger than anything else except for the level's boss is really obnoxious. And frequently you have no choice but to kill them unlike the hordes of regular captains.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 12, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why can't anyone be cool like Midna? She is absolutely fantastic and now that I'm good with timing her attacks, she's one of my favorites. Picking up enemy commanders and hurling them half a mile away, and actually doing good damage to them at the same time, and hurling a couple dozen of their buddies too? It's so satisfying.

eta: Also although her special isn't that great, it's loving cool as poo poo and killing captains by slam dunking their stupid faces with a goddamn meteor is very satisfying.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 12, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
25,000 kills to unlock Evil's Bane is really obnoxious

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

This game is a lot of fun. The giant bombchu's made me crack up. They are so goofy looking.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This game got a lot easier for me when I learned to stop worrying and love the dodge cancel. Really, just the dodge move in general is freaking fantastic for the amount of invincibility frames it gives you.

It's all very :darksouls: when I think about it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Just did Link's level 3 gauntlets quest

...at least the mission was fun to play. Don't mind trying again.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Since this thread doesn't seem to be aware of it, most if not all of the minibosses have additional ways of exposing their weakpoints that can also damage other enemies near them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/70292393

Short version: whenever any of them do an attack where they flash white, hitting them at the right time with their weakness causes them to screw up in some way that leaves them open afterwards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow that's crazy. I had no idea their super attacks were able to be countered like that!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

Since this thread doesn't seem to be aware of it, most if not all of the minibosses have additional ways of exposing their weakpoints that can also damage other enemies near them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/745183-hyrule-warriors/70292393

Short version: whenever any of them do an attack where they flash white, hitting them at the right time with their weakness causes them to screw up in some way that leaves them open afterwards.

This is some good poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it turns out that the reason I was having trouble with the Gohma/Argorok/Imprisoned mission was because I was running straight up the middle (triggering Arg and Gohma at once) instead of going around the side to just deal with Gohma first.

I'm still doing poo poo damage (I can't take out Gohma before the Arg notices, and likewise I can't finish Arg before Imprisoned waddles over.

Really the whole "you can't hurt big bosses until they feel like doing the one thing that opens them up" thing is a pain in the rear end.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Alacron posted:

This game got a lot easier for me when I learned to stop worrying and love the dodge cancel. Really, just the dodge move in general is freaking fantastic for the amount of invincibility frames it gives you.

It's all very :darksouls: when I think about it.

This might be the first game I've ever played where I've seriously cared about the ability to cancel out of my moves. In some weird way I feel like playing this game might make me better at games like Bayonetta.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
How do I Agitha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kaubocks posted:

Just did Link's level 3 gauntlets quest

...at least the mission was fun to play. Don't mind trying again.

I've been in that exact situation of 2 seconds over the clear time. My sympathies.

• Locked thread