Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
There was something earlier about a DDOS attack on Trion; I'd popped in RIFT and couldn't access Deepwood. Other servers were showing full or high population, which is weird.

I would think this is directed more at ArcheAge than RIFT, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

Other servers were showing full or high population, which is weird.

I would think this is directed more at ArcheAge than RIFT, though.

can't they adjust the max number of people allowed on a server on the fly? they may have done that in response to server load

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Nightmare Tide just got pushed back 2 weeks.

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2014/10/02/nightmare-tide-oct-22/

"Extend Open Beta" my rear end. Just how buggy is this thing?

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

Thunk posted:

Not to say you aren't right, but maybe it has to do with how swamped they are with Archeage. Now THAT is a bug shitfest if there's one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thunk posted:

Art team needs more time!

:laffo:

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

It was pretty clear the 8th wasn't going to happen from the moment they announced it. I wasn't even in closed beta or anything, since the only way to get in was to suck a youtuber's dick. Doesn't help that it's been a cascade of bad dev decisions lately.

There is a weekly cap on void stones, the NT equivalent to infinity stones, to go with the weekly caps on raid and expert marks. It's 35k/week right now, but I expect that to get tweaked to shut the forums up.

If you don't buy a collector's edition, you will have to grind out 100k void stones to unlock your earring slots. Then, you'll want to unlock the Planewalker: Water achievement, because some gear arbitrarily requires it for no better reason than to get people to spend more money. I don't know what goes into it but I'm betting it's not cheap. After that, well, the official forums are reporting 22 weeks or so to get your BIS essences. That'll probably change too.

The masteries are also a joke. The assassin one extends the duration of Expose Weakness, which is a debuff that gets refreshed every time you use a finisher and already has 100% uptime. The bard one, which is probably the best, lets Cadenza proc Invigorated Soul (making Cadence pointless! yay!).

There might be a fun game in there somewhere but I don't care to pay or grind for it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rianeva posted:

The masteries are also a joke. The assassin one extends the duration of Expose Weakness, which is a debuff that gets refreshed every time you use a finisher and already has 100% uptime. The bard one, which is probably the best, lets Cadenza proc Invigorated Soul (making Cadence pointless! yay!).

People still ran bards in raids? Oracle got to DPS AND put up shields w/ no cost to their DPS.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

People still ran bards in raids? Oracle got to DPS AND put up shields w/ no cost to their DPS.

It's kind of useful on Maelforge because Orchestra doesn't apply a blocker debuff like DtF does, so you can use Asias to reset it.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This thread doesn't look particularly active, but does anyone still play this? When does the new expansion come out? I have a steam notice from like 3 months ago that an expansion is coming out but I can't see if it's live or not, and it looks like not? Only reason I'm checking in is because I'm that one weirdo who really likes underwater MMO game play and it sounds like this whole expansion is built on that niche concept, which is bold because I'm the only person I've ever met in years of playing these games who actually enjoys underwater content.

I haven't played since launch though. If I did want to play this expansion would I have to buy it and the previous one? I don't have a good grasp on how their money system works.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Libertine posted:

This thread doesn't look particularly active, but does anyone still play this? When does the new expansion come out? I have a steam notice from like 3 months ago that an expansion is coming out but I can't see if it's live or not, and it looks like not? Only reason I'm checking in is because I'm that one weirdo who really likes underwater MMO game play and it sounds like this whole expansion is built on that niche concept, which is bold because I'm the only person I've ever met in years of playing these games who actually enjoys underwater content.

I haven't played since launch though. If I did want to play this expansion would I have to buy it and the previous one? I don't have a good grasp on how their money system works.

I play! The expansion comes out October 22nd.

I don't know about your other questions though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rift has probably the best F2P model out there. It has a healthy population, but mainly of casuals and raiders, and not very many goons. I beta tested the expansion and the water elements are really cool, like magic is holding back the water in spots and you can just jump into a wall of water and start swimming.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The expansion does look neat and the current F2P model is good, but i worry for how much the cash shop will be pushed in 3.0 with the ear slot thingymabob and the currency cap.

It doesn't directly affect me, but this kind of thing can be indirectly irksome. Still, it ain't no SWTOR thats for sure. :v:

Also if you have leveling to do, now is the time to do it, +25%(of everything really, but XP is the topic) for everyone is nice.

And if you're waiting for 3.0 but haven't played since Crucia & Regulos were a thing, like me, there is a bunch of prelude stuff thats decent so far. The background of the new souls get touched upon (the warrior one kills me, Magnets, Muscles and flexing? Its amazing :allears:), the nonsense thats reaching out from the plane of water is illuminated and bits inbetween.

Libertine posted:

The bit thats behind the paywall, New Souls. Each class now has a tank, support, healing and several dps souls. Mage for example: In storm legion got a melee soul, in Nightmare Tide got a tank one.

You can also buy a more expensive nightmare tide and unlock the new ear slot sooner, which i imagine is something only the hardcore raiders care for. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 11, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
How's the questing in Nightmare Tide? I didn't really enjoy the Storm Legion expansion and couldn't get past level 52 before getting stumped. Is Nightmare Tide more fun?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Rift has probably the best F2P model out there. It has a healthy population, but mainly of casuals and raiders, and not very many goons. I beta tested the expansion and the water elements are really cool, like magic is holding back the water in spots and you can just jump into a wall of water and start swimming.

:barf:

I love you stampy but Trion hates raiders (that aren't named Ahov) more than Carbine hates its general population.

I mean, it's true, it probably has the best f2p model out there, but Daglar is trying really hard to make that less and less true. Also Daglar has no understanding of what best in slot means and thinks gear behind progression walls can be compared to store gear when it comes to what is best in slot and what isn't sooooo...

But if you don't raid then yeah RIFT is probably fun.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 13, 2014

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

:barf:

I love you stampy but Trion hates raiders (that aren't named Ahov) more than Carbine hates its general population.

I mean, it's true, it probably has the best f2p model out there, but Daglar is trying really hard to make that less and less true. Also Daglar has no understanding of what best in slot means and thinks gear behind progression walls can be compared to store gear when it comes to what is best in slot and what isn't sooooo...

But if you don't raid then yeah RIFT is probably fun.

Uh guys, Path of Exile is out there you know (f2p and they don't sell power at all but you will want stash tabs). I pointed this out on the official forums once and got told to ~think of the shareholders~. Don't go to the official forums.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rianeva posted:

I pointed this out on the official forums once and got told to ~think of the shareholders~.

Man if I weren't at work this would have totally been spit-take worthy. That's the best thing trion-related i've heard in the last 4 months.

I mean more specifically, RIFT would still be neat if they didn't cripple all the end-game elements for the sake of enhancing the cash shop.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Zoness what are you playing these days? I'll admit that I haven't really kept up with the pre-3.0 changes. AA took a lot of the heat away from rift's expansion. But hey, it's possible that the AA money gets invested over to rift. More likely they develop a new game though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Zoness what are you playing these days? I'll admit that I haven't really kept up with the pre-3.0 changes. AA took a lot of the heat away from rift's expansion. But hey, it's possible that the AA money gets invested over to rift. More likely they develop a new game though.

I'm playing Wildstar and Hearthstone :3:.

Part of the literal 1% that does 40mans in wildstar.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

My condolences that suicide booths aren't a thing yet.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Anyone have any experience with Trions account support? I moved and changed ISP's so lost access to the email that was tied to my account and now I can't log in. Sent them an email Saturday morning and still haven't gotten a response

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Trion's support is garbage.

It will probably be 3 weeks before you get an automated email.

(Your issue has probably already been settled, but that's been my experience with their support - don't even bother.)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I read through the OP and was thinking of playing this game, but the last page here is giving me second thoughts. There's no goon presence in this game any more? I was hoping to find an F2P MMO that I could just hang out and casually craft/grief/PvE in for an hour or two every couple of days. I guess this isn't it?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I read through the OP and was thinking of playing this game, but the last page here is giving me second thoughts. There's no goon presence in this game any more? I was hoping to find an F2P MMO that I could just hang out and casually craft/grief/PvE in for an hour or two every couple of days. I guess this isn't it?

No griefing AFAIK but you can totally do PvE/craft! It's fun!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dovetaile posted:

No griefing AFAIK but you can totally do PvE/craft! It's fun!

Hmm. Well, how about the different classes? The OP says that Clerics are the most versatile, so should I go with that if I want to be a jack-of-all-trades sort of character, or should I pick Rogue, since I like being sneaky and dealing really good DPS while being nigh untouchable?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Hmm. Well, how about the different classes? The OP says that Clerics are the most versatile, so should I go with that if I want to be a jack-of-all-trades sort of character, or should I pick Rogue, since I like being sneaky and dealing really good DPS while being nigh untouchable?

OP is not updated for the new souls, each class can now do all 4 roles: Tank, Heal, DPS, Support.

e: if you want them though you have to pay for them.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

My main's a Mage but I've got a low-level Rogue alt that seems to be doing all right.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

A new thread for the expansion release would be a good idea, but it should probably be started by someone who is actively playing the game and not myself. Or if you guys want stuff added to this op, just post it and I will add it in.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

New expansion comes out in a short while (weeks away, possibly maybe). Would expect a GOON resurgence then. When people were on, this was a great game to kill some time with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

A new thread for the expansion release would be a good idea, but it should probably be started by someone who is actively playing the game and not myself. Or if you guys want stuff added to this op, just post it and I will add it in.

I don't know what ~hardcore raiders~ are coming back but Addiction isn't :smith:.

Trying to consider if it's worth it level capping.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Just add Rift to the long list of MMOs ruined by incompetent devs.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Just add Rift to the long list of MMOs ruined by incompetent devs.

Is it still projected to have precisely 3 raid bosses? Like drat, it's a 3 zone expansion and not a single one of them looks bigger than your typical Storm Legion zone. What the gently caress happened to this game?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

Is it still projected to have precisely 3 raid bosses? Like drat, it's a 3 zone expansion and not a single one of them looks bigger than your typical Storm Legion zone. What the gently caress happened to this game?

The found they can just make most their money off cash shop gear and not real content. Same thing that happens to most F2P games.
The whales (high end spenders) are going to spend no matter what they do to the game. Devs see they can put in low effort and still make as much money as ever so they just stop caring.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Zoness posted:

I don't know what ~hardcore raiders~ are coming back but Addiction isn't :smith:.

Trying to consider if it's worth it level capping.

I figured there'd be somewhat of a presence for 3.0, but when I asked around in AA today, Roughraptors was the only one who said they were playing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a free Rift Extra Life Starter Pack from Humble Bundle:

62KN-6NEJ-EXK7-6CFR-L633

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Mehuyael posted:

Here's a free Rift Extra Life Starter Pack from Humble Bundle:

62KN-6NEJ-EXK7-6CFR-L633

Snatched this, three free days of patron is always nice :shobon: Thanks!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's a cheap joke, but I laughed (They're looking at a hologram of Miela):

William Bear fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 23, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Thunderbro posted:

I'll wait to see what they actually do. If it's 3 zones with the density and diversity of something like EI, then that's fine. SL was unusually large anyway, given that both islands spanned the entire level range and some zones like Morban were huge. I kind of wonder if the islands were Guardian/Defiant split at some point in development.

But, really, the game's getting old, so they're probably shifting development to something else.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Meanwhile a new release happened and Goons had 3 online to check it out. :(

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Decairn posted:

Meanwhile a new release happened and Goons had 3 online to check it out. :(

Oh, did it come out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

necrotic posted:

Oh, did it come out already?

Yup. Servers didn't melt but a few quests in the beginning are...strained...due to how many people are doing them at once.

So far I have to admit, I like the Lovecraftian aesthetic they're going for. It's still just Rift, but the new window dressing is very pretty.

• Locked thread