Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

How hard is it to find someone to talk about baseball on television who isn't a complete fuckhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
matt vasgersian is cool

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

FairGame posted:

FS1 missed several at bats that started and ended on the first pitch because they were busy talking about whatever bullshit they talk about

I would rather see a game with dumb announcers than NOT see a game with any announcers

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Now that I'm remembering they've also had a habit this year of missing opening at bats thanks to commercial breaks. I still don't think that makes them any worse overall than TBS, but it's at least a very close tie.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bring back Jon Miller*

*actually don't because Giants fans enjoy hogging him

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Now that I'm remembering they've also had a habit this year of missing opening at bats thanks to commercial breaks. I still don't think that makes them any worse overall than TBS, but it's at least a very close tie.

Straight up skipping the first AB almost every inning is way way worse than lovely announcers and graphics

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wainwright looks so bad it's great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Looks like #EvenYearBullshit is beating #CardinalsWayBullshit pretty handily.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
#KCDestiny

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"Dodge Dart: Don't Touch It" ?

Really?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

theacox posted:

#KCDestiny

I really do wonder what's going to happen when they lose a game. There's no way they don't lose a game.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Rand alPaul posted:

Wainwright looks so bad it's great.

Everblight posted:

DONT FALL FOR IT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is Vlad Guerrero wearing Sandoval's skin?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Everblight posted:

Is Vlad Guerrero wearing Sandoval's skin?

The greatest fatsuit performance of all time.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

fknlo posted:

I really do wonder what's going to happen when they lose a game. There's no way they don't lose a game.

They'll just wait until the WS like the '07 Rockies

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Everblight posted:

In fairness, there's a lotta techies in SF.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
I've been watching the FS1 alternate feed most of this game, but I think it's pretty boring and this is the kind of analysis I'm into. I guess just not during a game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah I realized I'm not looking for a whole lot of analysis during the game. Paint the picture, get out of the way, and don't say anything stupid.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
I'd love these guys doing a podcast together, tbh. But between the split screen of 5 dudes in lawn chairs and the near complete lack of awareness of the game at hand, meh.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ahmed Fareed ‏@AhmedFareedCSN 1m1 minute ago
MadBum unimpressed by his road postseason scoreless innings record: "There's a stat for everything these days."

:allears: Madbum

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Some good baseball played today.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

DeltaAttack2go posted:

I'd love these guys doing a podcast together, tbh. But between the split screen of 5 dudes in lawn chairs and the near complete lack of awareness of the game at hand, meh.

I think that setting up a dedicated Sabermetrics Broadcast in opposition to the Traditional Broadcast is really a road to disaster. There's already a huge hurdle to clear just for using new stats and ideas in a broadcast, in that you have to then take time to explain them to fans (which then ironically makes the people who are clamoring for the broadcast feel like it's "dumbed down"). Further, with an issue that has been the source of some controversy, there's always going to be an impulse to justify using different stats (I saw a tweet about someone saying "the stat tells a story!"). Doing it as an oppositional thing is always going to push the new broadcast to hyper-focus on what sets it apart, and so you end up with...well, this.

And that's not even going into the bizarre design and production.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

An advanced stats broadcast is doomed to failure because advanced stats need a bit of study and that doesn't lend itself to a traditional broadcast setting.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Cubs broadcasters have been doing a pretty good job of incorporating (or at least talking about) different stats over the past year or two. I stopped paying too much attention, but at least at one point, they were doing "Stat Sundays" where they would start of by talking about a stat like FIP and then refer to it repeatedly over the game that day.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

Spoeank posted:

An advanced stats broadcast is doomed to failure because advanced stats need a bit of study and that doesn't lend itself to a traditional broadcast setting.

I think it could work pretty well if they did it during the regular season instead. Even as someone pretty well versed in advanced stats, I could definitely see myself watching a broadcast like that during games in the middle of the season where I'm not necessarily trying to watch EVERY pitch.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Spoeank posted:

You don't need a lengthy explanation of xFIP to say things like "well Jim, Tom McPitcher has been allowing a lot of fly balls this season but they haven't been making their way over the fences. This game very well may hinge on whether he can continue to keep them in the park." That seems like a huge improvement to me over "Keys To The Game: Get Runs Early; Keep Loose; Pitching?????". Similarly, I don't think it would be tough at all to work in stuff like "well, a hit from this next batter could improve the Baseballmen's odds of winning by over 5%, so I'm a little surprised not to see the Bird Sox go to the bullpen here."

I don't know about anyone else, but generally there are at least a few times during any given game that I pull up Fangraphs or whatever to check out something that interests me. Done well, a sabermetrically-inclined broadcast is going to be like your bud who already wondered the same thing and found the info before you had to look. Done poorly, it's 100 twitter notifications popping up over the game while some dude writes you a dissertation on BABIP.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

How hard is it to find someone to talk about baseball on television who isn't a complete fuckhead?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vin Scully should call every playoff game from an ISDN line in his house.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Speaking of announcers, why does the KC play by play guy not get excited at all? His team is in the postseason for the first time in three decades, has had numerous thrilling wins, and stands on the precipice of a World Series.

Yet every call from him is :effort:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Matthews or Lefebvre? That's really kind of just Denny's style, which doesn't strike me as :effort: personally but maybe that's because I've heard him my entire life. His world series call is certainly happy but he's not screaming into the mic or anything (although I guess an 11-0 game isn't exactly in doubt at that point).

If it's Lefebvre I don't know.

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009
From the radio I've listened to this postseason, I almost get the feeling that Denny still can't believe we've gotten this far and doesn't want to jinx it by getting excited.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
This is insane kc still has a postseason win streak alive from the 80's

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Ultimately, good announcing is good announcing. People like to bring up Len Kasper using advanced stats to show how good he is. And he is a really good announcer, but he'd be really good regardless of what stats he's using.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

Qwertyiop25 posted:

I think it could work pretty well if they did it during the regular season instead. Even as someone pretty well versed in advanced stats, I could definitely see myself watching a broadcast like that during games in the middle of the season where I'm not necessarily trying to watch EVERY pitch.

One thing I did like about the broadcast is that it felt like all these guys had followed these teams all season. They seemed really passionate about the sport but maybe less so about the game at hand. I hope it goes well enough that FOX keeps it around for awhile beacuse I think there is something here once all the fat is trimmed. Someone on twitter aptly said this broadcast felt like watching LOST for the first time in the middle of season 4.

Advanced stats can be helpful for in-game analysis, too. Like, it's really useful to talk about why a Butler vs. O'Day matchup is bad for Butler (which unsurprisingly ended in a GIDP) but Gordon vs. O'Day is a good matchup for the hitter (which ended with a homer). That kind of chatter was happening on twitter during the KC/BAL game. But there was just so much pontificating about the meaning of ISO in the broadcast that I had trouble watching the game itself.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Ended up going to the game yesterday. It's going to be great when/if the Orioles' bullpen can stop making GBS threads the bed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Ended up going to the game yesterday. It's going to be great when/if the Orioles' bullpen can stop making GBS threads the bed.

if

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

DeltaAttack2go posted:

That kind of chatter was happening on twitter during the KC/BAL game. But there was just so much pontificating about the meaning of ISO in the broadcast that I had trouble watching the game itself.

Yep this is pretty much the exact problem and why I can see it being viable for a game in the middle of the season where you aren't hanging on every single pitch.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mornacale posted:

You don't need a lengthy explanation of xFIP to say things like "well Jim, Tom McPitcher has been allowing a lot of fly balls this season but they haven't been making their way over the fences. This game very well may hinge on whether he can continue to keep them in the park." That seems like a huge improvement to me over "Keys To The Game: Get Runs Early; Keep Loose; Pitching?????". Similarly, I don't think it would be tough at all to work in stuff like "well, a hit from this next batter could improve the Baseballmen's odds of winning by over 5%, so I'm a little surprised not to see the Bird Sox go to the bullpen here."

I don't know about anyone else, but generally there are at least a few times during any given game that I pull up Fangraphs or whatever to check out something that interests me. Done well, a sabermetrically-inclined broadcast is going to be like your bud who already wondered the same thing and found the info before you had to look. Done poorly, it's 100 twitter notifications popping up over the game while some dude writes you a dissertation on BABIP.

I didn't get a chance to watch the VORPcast but talking to my friends about advanced statistics takes way too long. I think it's because I mention xFIP and ERA differences and then I get blank stares. So I have to explain xFIP. I agree, sometime in the middle of the season would be cool but not the LCS.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

I still think that maybe not a SABRmetric themed broadcast but at the very least a stat themed broadcast for fantasy baseball or even the layman could be done, but these visuals I think need to be handled better, so I thought it over and came up with a crude redesign, granted it would still need a lot of work, but it might be better than the current one:

In this setup, in order to save screen space the second camera angle has been eliminated altogether, in its place is an enlarged view of the main camera angle. Alternatively, going along the idea that this broadcast would be done as an alternative video feed done on something as FS1, MLBN, or MLB.tv, this main viewspace of the game could be used to show camera angles different from the one on the default broadcast.

In addition, taking a note from the regular broadcasting on MLBN, FS1, and elsewhere, a medium sized sidebar has been added to the left side of the screen. In this mockup it's being used to explain x-fip but it could also be used for either stats or other information pertinent to the game.

Finally, at the bottom of the main viewpoint is brief information about the batter and pitcher. I put the normal information one would find on the scoreboard at any normal ballpark, but these could be used to give any information or data about either player. This is the area that would probably need the most work, as space is an issue.

But as to whether or not a stats themed broadcast is a good idea, I would have to say no for television. Maybe on something like MLB.tv but you're only shooting yourself in the foot by splitting up your broadcasts between two different channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

FoglyOgly posted:

From the radio I've listened to this postseason, I almost get the feeling that Denny still can't believe we've gotten this far and doesn't want to jinx it by getting excited.

I've listened to him for years, thats just who Denny is. I don't think there's a chance in hell that a younger version of him would be accepted as a new hire, but at this point he's been there many decades, people are used to him, and he's a hall of famer as an announcer so it's pretty much up to him when he should quit.

Denny basically believes (he's articulated this before, so it is intentional) that the announcer can allow himself to get very slightly excited at times, but he should just primarily focus on calling the game and let the roar of the crowd do the rest. Which, there's something to that, but he's taken it way too far to the point where he's just not communicating the amazing accomplishments of the team. Rex Hudler on TV is Denny's evil bizarro-world twin in that he's an excited goofy clown.

Lefebvre and Physioc probably strike a happy balance between the extremes.

• Locked thread