Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Srice posted:

I suggest the Dracula anime where Dracula is seen eating a hamburger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drNj1uW6UA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Isn't there also a Frankenstein one that's equally awful?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two volumes into Parasyte and I'm liking it a lot even if some of the twists are pretty trite a couple volumes in. Real creepy too, good stuff.

Edit: binged it at work, good series! I can't imagine it ever being shown on TV without so much censorship that it ruins the terrifying nature of the parasites though! Basically every single chapter has incredibly graphic dismemberment and organs and limbs going everywhere, I just can't see it translating to a TV anime while retaining the same horrific inhumanity of the parasites.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Recommend me a show where characters get so distorted to express their emotions or reactions, they might as well not have models to begin with.

Difficulty: I've seen Masaaki Yuasa's entire filmography.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me a show where characters get so distorted to express their emotions or reactions, they might as well not have models to begin with.

Difficulty: I've seen Masaaki Yuasa's entire filmography.

There's a couple of episodes of The Hakkenden that do this, but it's one of those OAV's where every episode had different people working on it and the first few are a lot more conventionally animated. It's an okay series though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mononoke. Watch Mononoke.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wark Say posted:

Mononoke. Watch Mononoke.

You know, I've seen it, but this request is mostly for stuff that I can watch with a friend, so that's perfect. Thanks!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I started and finished watching Kids on the Slope this weekend and it was fantastic! Are they any other similar quality/themed music shows? I thought the jazz portions were really awesome.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Razzled posted:

I started and finished watching Kids on the Slope this weekend and it was fantastic! Are they any other similar quality/themed music shows? I thought the jazz portions were really awesome.

K-On! and K-On!!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Razzled posted:

Beck is really fuggin' good, just get the sub.
http://youtu.be/bOgzCGtryF4

Also Detroit Metal City is a great show as well.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Two volumes into Parasyte and I'm liking it a lot even if some of the twists are pretty trite a couple volumes in. Real creepy too, good stuff.

Edit: binged it at work, good series! I can't imagine it ever being shown on TV without so much censorship that it ruins the terrifying nature of the parasites though! Basically every single chapter has incredibly graphic dismemberment and organs and limbs going everywhere, I just can't see it translating to a TV anime while retaining the same horrific inhumanity of the parasites.

My favourite thing about the manga is the way he draws people. It just comes out so natural. There's also the protagonist - for once, he's is just a (believably) good guy doing the right thing. A bit like Jonathan from JoJo pt. 1 albeit not actually a saint. If you enjoyed Iwaaki's style as much as I did you might want to check out his other stuff too (starting with the short stories), it's all good.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 29, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Beck is really fuggin' good, just get the sub.
http://youtu.be/bOgzCGtryF4

I'll second this, Beck's really fantastic. Though I'll vouch for the dub, I thought it was pretty decent and they actually dubbed all the songs most of which ended up pretty enjoyable.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the Beck dub is actually really good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

Is Samurai Flamenco worth watching? My best friend just got most of the BD's from his former students in Japan (The fact that they still remember him fondly despite him being a grumpy-rear end curmudgeon kinda warms my heart :3:) so when I get to go to his city, we're planning on watching 2 or 3 episodes a day.

Will it be fun? (Avoid spoilers, if possible)

It's a very polarizing show I find. It has a goal and something it wants to do that's very at odds with how the show starts out and it's very jarring. Either you get used to what it's doing and enjoy the ride, or don't and get off. I finished the show, and kept up with the thread and got what the show was trying to do, but it didn't resonate with me and I found the whole thing lackluster. Especially with how some characters ended up. So your mileage may vary.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, the Beck dub is actually really good.

The dub isn't bad but there are parts in the show where people speak English and it's plot important so it feels odd to dub a show that's already bi-lingual.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I just finished watching Fate/Zero and thought it was great, much better than I was expecting. For a fighty special-powered show it certainly had a nice story and some interesting characters. I think I enjoyed every character's arc. It got pretty dark, too. Haha.

I've not actually heard anyone say anything good about Fate Stay (which I guess takes ten years after f/z?) so I guess that's off the table - which is a shame; is there another not 500 episode show that is cool like this one in a similar vein?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

Oh man, I just finished watching Fate/Zero and thought it was great, much better than I was expecting. For a fighty special-powered show it certainly had a nice story and some interesting characters. I think I enjoyed every character's arc. It got pretty dark, too. Haha.

I've not actually heard anyone say anything good about Fate Stay (which I guess takes ten years after f/z?) so I guess that's off the table - which is a shame; is there another not 500 episode show that is cool like this one in a similar vein?

F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works literally started airing Saturday, and is by the same studio as Fate/Zero and is almost certainly going to be a good adaptation. (it's the first adaptation that's bad, not the thing itself)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The dub isn't bad but there are parts in the show where people speak English and it's plot important so it feels odd to dub a show that's already bi-lingual.

While this is true, they manage to make it work okay.

Plus, calling the stuff in the original English is being generous most of the time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cake Attack posted:

F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works literally started airing Saturday, and is by the same studio as Fate/Zero and is almost certainly going to be a good adaptation. (it's the first adaptation that's bad, not the thing itself)

Is Unlimited Blade just a remake of the original Fate/Stay Night, like what they did with Full Metal Alchemist or Hellsing?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

Is Unlimited Blade just a remake of the original Fate/Stay Night, like what they did with Full Metal Alchemist or Hellsing?

Naw, F/SN was a VN originally, with 3 separate routes. The original adaption was of the first (and weakest) route, with some scenes from the other routes awkwardly crammed in. It was pretty mediocre. UBW is the second route, and is the route covered by the just started adaption. The final route is getting a movie adaption later on. Both of those are generally considered stronger stories than the first route, and the studio adapting them is UFOtable, the same studio responsible for F/Z.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Now if you still need a Fate/Stay Night fix during the midseason break for Unlimited Blade Works, you should definitely watch the original because some of the dumb poo poo the main character does is pretty hilarious. Also I feel it functions a little better as a sequel to Fate/Zero since the focus is a bit more on Saber than any other character. That being said, since Ufotable actually has a budget behind it, UBW won't look like garbage with Star Wars noises every time the Servants do Servant stuff.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Holy poo poo, I need more Redline in my life.

TARDISman posted:

Now if you still need a Fate/Stay Night fix during the midseason break for Unlimited Blade Works, you should definitely watch the original because some of the dumb poo poo the main character does is pretty hilarious.

I just watch Carnival Phantasm when I need more F/SN.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Everyone does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brainamp posted:

Try watching Dead Leaves, if you haven't already seen it. It's fifty-odd minutes of insane prison-escaping action. On the Moon.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Brainamp posted:

There's always the sort of related OVA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trava:_Fist_Planet

Drifter posted:

It's a short movie but you might like The King of Fighters: Another Day. In addition I guess the Persona 4 OVA is pretty similar thematically to F/Z and not awful.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 10, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Level E was a fantastic anime. Episode 4 of it in particular, I really, really liked, despite it being a fairly different thing from the rest of the show. Is there any other anime that does such a good job of creating a ton of empathy for what would normally be an absolutely terrifying creature?

It's just really stuck with me how human they made the aliens feel in the reveal (probably through the blatant puberty analogue), and I really want to have that same feeling again.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You might want to check out this season's Parasyte TV series.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I'm looking to waste time, and my favorite way to do that is to watch anime that is all about getting swole. Specifically, Training Arcs. If the entire show is a training arc, that's my jam.

Hajime no Ippo
YuYuHakusho
Hunter X Hunter
JoJo Battle Tendency
HSD Kenichi
Soul Eater
Kuroko's Basketball
Baby Steps
etc

And even if it isn't the primary focus, as long as there's a fair amount of it strewn in that's still good enough for me (idk how much naruto i've watched, Magi, things of that nature). I'm also fine with shows where people just suddenly get powers and the entire premise is them exploring the extent of said abilities.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
First thing that came to mind for whatever reason was Kaleido Star. Yeah it's not fighting but gosh darn it those circus moves won't pull off themselves.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yowamushi Pedal sounds like it would be a good fit alongside the sports anime you listed there. Even though it's about biking it shares a few things in common with Ippo. Since it's biking the training isn't that much different from racing but I think it's still worth a shot!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

First thing that came to mind for whatever reason was Kaleido Star. Yeah it's not fighting but gosh darn it those circus moves won't pull off themselves.

idk what i expected but this little japanese girl is determined to be part of the circus and then there's some creepy magic doll who i'm pretty sure is being voiced by dio that is doing some weird ninja hand motions

im in

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, at request of my daughter, we started watching the Girls Und Panzer Blu-Rays I got a few days ago. Since I love the anime and it looks like she's enjoying them too, I gotta ask: Are the various mangas / novels side-materials any good?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Emalde posted:

I'm looking to waste time, and my favorite way to do that is to watch anime that is all about getting swole. Specifically, Training Arcs. If the entire show is a training arc, that's my jam.

Hajime no Ippo
YuYuHakusho
Hunter X Hunter
JoJo Battle Tendency
HSD Kenichi
Soul Eater
Kuroko's Basketball
Baby Steps
etc

And even if it isn't the primary focus, as long as there's a fair amount of it strewn in that's still good enough for me (idk how much naruto i've watched, Magi, things of that nature). I'm also fine with shows where people just suddenly get powers and the entire premise is them exploring the extent of said abilities.

You're probably looking for Chihayafuru. The whole show is about the slow progress and steady realisations of a group of young people getting into the really obscure-rear end Japanese card game. The entire thing is pretty much massive training arcs topped off by really tense competitions that are really well directed and realised.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

You're probably looking for Chihayafuru. The whole show is about the slow progress and steady realisations of a group of young people getting into the really obscure-rear end Japanese card game. The entire thing is pretty much massive training arcs topped off by really tense competitions that are really well directed and realised.

Already watched the hell out of that, when is the next season though :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Emalde posted:

Already watched the hell out of that, when is the next season though :(

What about Hikaru no Go?

I read the manga around high school and thought it was pretty bomb rear end diggity.

It's about a kid getting mind swole. Learnin' some checkers and poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ashita no Joe if you can tolerate really old anime.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone know of some animes that consist of survival games and the like, ex. Battle royale or hunger games

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

goodness posted:

Anyone know of some animes that consist of survival games and the like, ex. Battle royale or hunger games

Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night (the currently airing version), Akuma no Riddle (a guilty pleasure), and Severing Crime Edge (a very guilty pleasure).

Edit: Also Dangan Ronpa, but it's vastly inferior to the game it's adapting.

Edit 2: To be clear, the Dangan Ronpa anime was bad enough that I dropped it after the first episode and didn't look back. The game is much better.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 12, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Dangan Ronpa anime is very very bad. Please don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

goodness posted:

Btoooom! is definitely a survival game, but I make no guarantees of quality.

Mirai Nikki (aka Future Diary) is a survival game of sorts.

• Locked thread