Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

Counterpoint; I would absolutely hate it. Now, there isnt any practical difference between "The baddie has made up science powers" and "the baddie has magic powers" but for me it would totally go against the theme of the show.

CounterCrossPoint

Last loving episode, the monster might as well have been magic. They didn't even bother USING any science to try to explain it.

If I have to sit through a loving moon dragon, you can give me a proper supernatural threat.

I'm not asking for a elves even though we've already had them or pixies even though we've already had them, I'm just asking for Doctor Who to stop insisting that EVERYTHING weird as all hell like this is super sci fi.

It starts to read like a Scooby Doo script where all of the monsters are always fake even if it makes no sense. Which they've abandoned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

madh posted:

Excellent episode. Writer of the episode doing a AMA

Oh, he did next week's too?

That's... promising, I think?

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan
This thread is a life saver, I just started watching DW properly this season after only catching bombastic Christmas specials and wondering why everyone is so into it based on those. The discussion of Kill The Moon was a fascinating read, I thought that ep was flat and clumsily directed so I'd pretty much checked out by the end and missed the whole abortion angle.

Mummy on the Orient Express is definitely one of the better episodes so far, wonderfully written and sharply paced so some of the Braga-esque magic-tech plot contrivances (oh so the sonic screwdriver is broken now? The medical scanner can absorb/transmit emotions?) weren't too jarring. Isolating the Doctor and Clara so they could independently figure out that they need each other was a good move, shame it amounted to Clara getting locked in a box until she was needed, like a tool, but they did some good soul-searching character stuff there.

I'm a little suspicious of Clara's sudden turn-around at the end of this episode.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Burkion posted:

CounterCrossPoint

Last loving episode, the monster might as well have been magic. They didn't even bother USING any science to try to explain it.

If I have to sit through a loving moon dragon, you can give me a proper supernatural threat.

I'm not asking for a elves even though we've already had them or pixies even though we've already had them, I'm just asking for Doctor Who to stop insisting that EVERYTHING weird as all hell like this is super sci fi.

It starts to read like a Scooby Doo script where all of the monsters are always fake even if it makes no sense. Which they've abandoned!

That last point is the most pertinent, I think. The sheer hoops gone through to connect EVERYTHING to science, no matter how contrived, has wasted valuable time and effort that could be put into polishing the episode's writing into a mirror sheen.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

CounterCrossPoint

:eng101: Pertwee would say that magic is just a science you don't understand yet.

I'm wondering about who GUS might be. He has the ability to phone the TARDIS, the number to which the "shopkeeper" had and gave to Clara. If we're speculating that the shopkeeper is going to turn out to be Missy, then could GUS end up being Chris Addison? I was almost positive that we were going to get a scene in "Heaven" at the end with either the Captain or the Professor. On the one hand, it's a little weird to me that they had me expecting it and then didn't go there, but on the other hand, I'm glad to see another episode that is seemingly unencumbered by season long arc plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mummy on the Orient Express gifs

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think that Clara's turnaround on the Doctor was too quick and not earned enough based on the previous couple scenes, but other than that it was a really good, solid episode. This is shaping up to be as good as, at least, Series 5 for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Got a wonderful Hartnell vibe from this visual :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
http://i.imgur.com/Oh9huu8.jpg

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this episode was an example of "good" technobabble because it explained the motives of the monster and didn't focus too much on random technical nonsense.

Jerusalem posted:

It just struck me as basic survival instincts - target the weak and sick because you're more likely to succeed. The mummy needed energy to continue its now utterly redundant purpose, they were simply the easiest targets for that energy. There was no malice or even any thought behind it, the thing was essentially operating on auto-pilot until the Doctor figured out the one thing it needed to hear to satisfy the conditions to allow it to stop "fighting" and let the poor bastard finally rest.
That makes sense, I can imagine it's just trying to survive and "fight" pointlessly.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

drat you for having a fun time, SA user DoctorWhat! :arghfist::saddowns:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Christ, this one legit broke my heart a little. That little difficulty he has making the salute screamed equal parts "Thank You" and "I'm so tired..."

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I think that Clara's turnaround on the Doctor was too quick and not earned enough based on the previous couple scenes, but other than that it was a really good, solid episode. This is shaping up to be as good as, at least, Series 5 for me.

It definitely was very quick but did she realize she wants more adventure or does she think the Doctor needs her too much right now? My guess is the later. I think she remembered that she really does like him this episode and he is obviously on the borderline of going completely cold and heartless if left alone.

Either way that conflict has given us some of the best parts of the season. Unless they screw something up toward the end it's at least up there with season 4 or 5 for me.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think this episode was an example of "good" technobabble because it explained the motives of the monster and didn't focus too much on random technical nonsense.

I agree. The shape of the episode made sense without the science fictional elements, but adding that into the mix seemed to give life to the premise. It wouldn't have worked as well had this been a pure 1920s setting, say.

Also, I really liked the bubble wrap! And the jellybabies!

This writer can come back, and not just for next week's episode.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It was a pretty good episode with a pretty good critter! I think it suffered a little bit from the new Doctor thing where it feels like it was meant for the other one in spots, particularly where the Doctor is arguing with/condescending to himself.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I laughed IRL when the sarcophagus opened up and was full of bubble wrap. A+ episode.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Burkion posted:

CounterCrossPoint

What exactly would qualify as "supernatural" within the context of a show about a more-or-less immortal man who can travel the entirety of time and space in his flying blue box, though? What we would call "supernatural" is just poo poo that can't be explained by our current knowledge of how the universe works; to us (the viewers), pretty much everything in the show would qualify. If you mean "supernatural" within the show itself, well, given that one of the Doctor's defining characteristics is that he is insatiably curious and always wants to know the how and the why of everything, do you think he would be satisfied with "a wizard did it," or do you think he'd find and interrogate the wizard and poke him with a sonic screwdriver until he figured out the exact technobabble the wizard used to do whatever it is he just did?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I adored the turn where Clara was about to chew the Doctor out for making her into a callous liar who was leading a lamb to slaughter... and Twelve's leitmotif kicks in, he stands in front of Maisie and you realise... he was lying about NOT being able to save her. (Or at least about KNOWING he couldn't)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

fixed, now that i've seen the episode and am no longer posting from a line waiting for a screening and on low battery.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

THE OFFICIAL DOCTORWHAT FIRST-VIEWING OPINIONS:

• I liked it a lot.
  • Did 12 "summon up" Four during that convo with himself?
  • the loving bubble wrap ahhaaah
  • the bechdel test joke was goddamn incredible
  • frank skinner for next companion
  • I'm really liking the "codas" these episodes have been having
  • the mummy's death visually quoted Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, therefore this is the Best Episode
  • the music was super-familiar but I can't quite place what it reminds me of
  • i saw it in a crowded room with hundreds of raucous nerds at NYCC so i might have missed bits

THE END

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

DoctorWhat posted:

[*] frank skinner for next companion

I hope we see him again, maybe in a Christmas episode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
wow, this is the FOURTH great episode of the season. And the same writer is doing the next episode. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also wow but that cover of Don't Stop Me Now was great :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-6fEj17MK4

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It actually reminded me of The Coming of the Terraphiles, AKA the only Doctor Who Novel I've ever read and thought was actually good.

The Doctor and Amy attend a Renaissance fair, but in the future the Renaissance, Industrial, and Information revolutions are collectively viewed as one massive period of progress, with the mean falling somewhere around the interwar years. Lots of fun, goofy mashing together of different anachronisms in that book.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
completely expected there to be some sort of dumb "the whole train is a sarcophaGUS!" thing

that episode owned

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

It actually reminded me of The Coming of the Terraphiles, AKA the only Doctor Who Novel I've ever read and thought was actually good.

Probably because it was written by an actual real author!

I think it was Lawrence Miles who wrote a rather funny self-deprecating thing about how when Moffat became showrunner he decided to swallow his pride and send him an e-mail asking if he could write any new Doctor Who novels. After all, who else was better qualified than him to take the job? And the next day Michael Moorcock was announced as writing a new Doctor Who novel :)

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

kant posted:

It definitely was very quick but did she realize she wants more adventure or does she think the Doctor needs her too much right now? My guess is the later. I think she remembered that she really does like him this episode and he is obviously on the borderline of going completely cold and heartless if left alone.

Either way that conflict has given us some of the best parts of the season. Unless they screw something up toward the end it's at least up there with season 4 or 5 for me.

Clara's question about whether the Doctor is an addict made me wonder if Clara's quick turnaround might be because Clara herself is now addicted to the thrill/adrenaline/etc. of traveling with the Doctor. She created a flimsy rationalization as to why she doesn't need to change her habits or to think about quitting any longer, she lied to the Doctor with that rationalization, and she shifted blame/responsibility to Danny for why she did or didn't have to quit. At least, that's why I didn't find that turnaround to be too jarring. If it is addiction, there will be more ups and downs to come.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
At the end, for a moment I thought they were all in Missy's afterlife.

Anals of History posted:

Clara's question about whether the Doctor is an addict made me wonder if Clara's quick turnaround might be because Clara herself is now addicted to the thrill/adrenaline/etc. of traveling with the Doctor. She created a flimsy rationalization as to why she doesn't need to change her habits or to think about quitting any longer, she lied to the Doctor with that rationalization, and she shifted blame/responsibility to Danny for why she did or didn't have to quit. At least, that's why I didn't find that turnaround to be too jarring. If it is addiction, there will be more ups and downs to come.

I thought that was pretty transparently the implication of that scene.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Probably because it was written by an actual real author!

I think it was Lawrence Miles who wrote a rather funny self-deprecating thing about how when Moffat became showrunner he decided to swallow his pride and send him an e-mail asking if he could write any new Doctor Who novels. After all, who else was better qualified than him to take the job? And the next day Michael Moorcock was announced as writing a new Doctor Who novel :)

No lie, I basically felt like a sixteen year old girl when I read an early blurb and the twist at the end was that it was describing Captain Cornelius rather than The Doctor.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently there's a full version :syoon:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=830564583630628&fref=nf

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DoctorWhat posted:

• the music was super-familiar but I can't quite place what it reminds me of

There was something really retro about it. There were parts that reminded me a bit of the light orchestral scores from the Tom Baker era.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

You know, all pretense aside, I would love it if the Doctor had to deal with something truly, honestly supernatural some time.

He does on rare occasions, usually its presented as a dangerous and awe-inspiring thing and he tries running away. There was the Celestial Toymaker for One way back when, that time Two's Tardis stopped out of time back with, I think, Jamie and either Victoria or Zoe, the time when Ten had to deal with that guy who set him and Amy/Rory up with alternate scenarios and they had to choose which was real.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It seemed like the angle they were going for with "The Devil" in that Ood episode was supernatural. Like, he wasn't meant to be "the Devil" in the sense that he was literally exactly the same as the popular Christian interpretation of him. But he was still made out to be something strange, powerful, and outside of normal explanation.

quote:

...the time when Ten had to deal with that guy who set him and Amy/Rory up with alternate scenarios and they had to choose which was real.

Nah, they explained that with telepathic pollen or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

He does on rare occasions, usually its presented as a dangerous and awe-inspiring thing and he tries running away. There was the Celestial Toymaker for One way back when, that time Two's Tardis stopped out of time back with, I think, Jamie and either Victoria or Zoe, the time when Ten had to deal with that guy who set him and Amy/Rory up with alternate scenarios and they had to choose which was real.

Those are usually treated as celestial beings of enormous psionic power or something though - it's functionally identical to magic without them coming straight out and saying,"Yeah okay it's magic". Personally I don't think a purely supernatural being really would fit in with Doctor Who as a show, but I'm all for the Doctor every so often running into something that he doesn't understand or know about, or suggestions that maybe, just maybe there might be something spiritual/supernatural but leaving it up to the viewer to decide for themselves what they think (ala The Unquiet Dead).

The Dream Lord was from Matt Smith's run, and he didn't actually exist outside of being a mental projection of the Doctor's own self-loathing (which has also been postulated as the seeds of what would become the Valeyard).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You know, this is really the first episode that i've really felt that Capaldi was The Doctor. The thing that this season has lacked is that sense of wonder the Doctor gets when he sees something new. You got a bit of it last week when he realized the moon was an egg. But tonight it all just worked. I mean you could have told me that the episode was originally written for Eleven and I would've believed it, and I don't mean that as an insult.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

That episode was absolutely fantastic. I loved the atmosphere, the story, all the character development, and it was non-stop with

great references too. I cracked up at the jelly babies and the "Are you my mummy?" bits. Definitely one of my top three favorites

from this season, along with Listen and Into the Dalek.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Great summary.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Doctor lies.

Rule #1.

reality_groove posted:

Really liked that episode, the setting, the mystery, the mixture of horror and just the right amount of sci-fi. Loved Frank

Skinner.

I was disappointed that Clara had a 180 on the Doctor by the end of the episode but I liked that it was Clara being brought down to

the Doctor's level rather than him being redeemed or changed by her or something.

Man, imagine if they'd used the Stanley Parable narrator from Time Heist as Gus. That would have been amazing casting.

I was a little surprised myself. A lot surprised, actually. I had the impression that she had worked everything out, she was leaving, and that would be that. True, near the end, we started to see that resolve disintegrate a little, but she was still on course to leave. And that conversation with Danny... BAM, 180 degrees. Not only 180 degrees, but mimic-The-Doctor 180 degrees.

Mr. Larger Than Life influenced another one. I instantly thought of Davros's line about The Doctor turning ordinary people into weapons. True, Clara's not a weapon, per say, but it looks like she's on a path of a Manipulator, lying to Danny (telling him mission accomplished (mission being this is her last trip with The Doctor)), then lying to The Doctor ("He's fine with it"), then making sure to cover up her lie to Danny by making sure she always gets back on time.

Hum. Maybe The Doctor doesn't influence - maybe he just brings out whatever potential (good or bad) are inside people, if they are with him long enough. I still can't forget the dramatic example of Martha - from healer to soldier.

Edit: True, she started lying a little before also (getting Maisie to follow her to the lab)...

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 12, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'll echo the praise -- I thought this was a fantastic episode from start to finish. Best of the season, in my opinion.

Anals of History posted:

Yeah, I didn't think it was that bad of a turnaround - she was obviously struggling with leaving him the whole episode (the "you'll still pop round for dinner?" bit) teamed with her realization at the end that while he may outwardly appear heartless at times, he's generally just trying to do the best thing, even if it's hard or he gets wrong sometimes. She's not only addicted to the traveling and the adventure, she's addicted to the Doctor, too. I mean, he's been her friend through two incarnations now, and she did split herself into fragments all throughout his timeline last season. You can't just walk away from that. When she said "I love you" at the end on the phone to Danny, her eyes were locked on the Doctor (and I don't mean that it was intended in a romantic way, but just in a "he is incredibly important to her" way).

Also, a nice touch from the author's AMA over on Reddit:

quote:

Q: Did Peter Capaldi say the lines exactly as you wrote/envisioned them or did he tweak anything?

A: The jelly babies were his idea! Which I think we can all agree was genius.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

The jelly babies were his idea! Which I think we can all agree was genius.

Moffat: Okay, I'll call the prop department so we can get a cigarette case full of jelly bab-
Capaldi: Oh I think we both know there's no need for that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's as if RTD found a lost Hinchcliffe-era script and filmed it with a Moffat-era budget. Which is to say, I absolutely loving loved it. Between the 70's mystery music and lounge Queen, the music alone is reason enough to like the episode. More like this, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
Hehe the top question on the AMA is

"Forget the smell of the mummy, what does Jenna Coleman smell like?"

• Locked thread