Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

xian posted:

Anyone doing Terra Battle? I'm having fun with it so far.

The thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670749&pagenumber=4&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Axiem posted:

I think what happens is you decide to buy "something" for 10 diamonds, and it randomly picks one of the items on the top two shelves.

...which is really terrible, in my opinion. Though I haven't actually hit the button to try it.

Speaking of diamonds, I'm trying to figure out: aside from paying for them, how can I acquire them? Do I get them in dungeons somehow?

Yeah the item thing sucks. But I have bought 5 today with friend points, so it not too bad. I'm working on my magical murder mage v2 by saving my points for when a good 5* weapon shows up.

You get diamonds for clearing a raid area. Saving caged heroes. Weekly log in rewards. And I think you can watch up 25-50 ads a day, each gives a diamond.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I've definitely watched like... probably 60 videos today. (While watching TV/doing other things.) Using gems on equipment buys will probably roll the first couple of rows, using friendship rolls all the rows. And you can switch between classes in the interface, too.

Some extra tips regarding rarity that might or might not be immediately obvious to people:
  • common heroes should be replaced ASAP. You will start getting rare 1*-2* and up just from completing missions or killing bosses later on
  • so far I've seen rare (green) and epic (orange) heroes, with 1-5* rarity
  • the stars do matter. I imagine epic heroes have more stat growth/higher level potential, however a 3-4* rare hero can be more immediately useful than a 1-2* epic hero. The big thing is that higher-star equipment can only be equipped by heroes with the appropriate star rating. So 3* equipment can only go on rare/epic heroes that are 3* or higher -- your 1-2* epic heroes, for example, won't be able to equip those items. Star rating also determines the skill level as well - a 3* or 4* hero will usually have the III or IV version of the skill, which is more powerful.
  • Definitely make sure your avatar or whatever is up to date so your friends can use your most powerful unit. This is probably going to be the unit with the best equipment on, but take note of the various skills they have as well. Just because something is 'epic' doesn't make it necessarily your best unless you equip it up.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I keep common heroes with elements of 9 or higher. Especially star element common heroes. Sometimes I want a 4 cost hero to fill a team.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
So if I understand it correctly, each character I want to put on a raid comes with a cost, and I only have so many points to spend on a party, right? How do I increase that point count? It doesn't seem like I can use any of my good characters because they're all too expensive.

Also, is there a way to switch out my characters' abilities? I don't have a Priest with Spring of Mana, and it'd be nice to have one to try and figure out how to get these raids to go.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Axiem posted:

So if I understand it correctly, each character I want to put on a raid comes with a cost, and I only have so many points to spend on a party, right? How do I increase that point count? It doesn't seem like I can use any of my good characters because they're all too expensive.

Also, is there a way to switch out my characters' abilities? I don't have a Priest with Spring of Mana, and it'd be nice to have one to try and figure out how to get these raids to go.

When you level up your cost limits goes up. And each raid area has a certain baseline cost.

Each hero just has one ability. I got my first spring of mana priest from raid reward quest. So I think if you push forward you will get one pretty early.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
I'm on Faraway as lewkwarm. Looks pretty fun so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The collecting stuff that falls in battle is tedious. Does letting it vanish mean it's gone or you just collect it slower?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
another dumb game, add me in Faraway Kingdom- greasyhands

What does it mean when my guys are part of a raid party?

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 12, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

The collecting stuff that falls in battle is tedious. Does letting it vanish mean it's gone or you just collect it slower?

I think if it vanishes then you lose the rewards. Gold/treasure/heroes you can just rub your finger across the screen. And I just hover my finger just above the enemy.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

I let penny's rot unless something better shows up. Money can be collected by just wiping over the screen like mentioned, everything else has to be clicked or you loose it, even the last boss.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I'm in like everyone else. Add me f1av0r

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mephology posted:

I let penny's rot unless something better shows up. Money can be collected by just wiping over the screen like mentioned, everything else has to be clicked or you loose it, even the last boss.

Bleah. That's pretty drat tedious and way more attention demanding than it should be.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Faraway kingdom has a thread now! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671348

Edit: can someone made a google doc for the friend codes? I hate using goggle docs on my ipad and I'm away from my computer for the next few days.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 12, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Hey that one goon re: that one game clearly superior to this faraway kingdom thing, Battle Cats, you absolutely can continue to level your guys/skills by maxing their level, using one of the cat capsule upgrades, then leveling them up more. I did this with the Efficiency skill and it's clearly getting better (and also raises the amount of money needed to go up to the next income rate during a game).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

Hey that one goon re: that one game clearly superior to this faraway kingdom thing, Battle Cats, you absolutely can continue to level your guys/skills by maxing their level, using one of the cat capsule upgrades, then leveling them up more. I did this with the Efficiency skill and it's clearly getting better (and also raises the amount of money needed to go up to the next income rate during a game).

Ah poo poo, I've been turning those into XP. Gonna have to start saving them now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All I'm saying is give The Battle Cats a chance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I played right until Satan on the original and while I enjoyed it a lot I just cant do it again.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I played right until Satan on the original and while I enjoyed it a lot I just cant do it again.

This. It is a rerelease of a game that was already on the iOS.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I'm hooked on My Singing Monsters. Please send help or in game currency.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Just beat Dream Quest with the sickest Monk build. I had just the right number of cards so that after getting my Prayers up I played all my cards every turn. Protean stays on the table and automatically brings out the rest of my cards (no doubles) when my turn starts. My +Draw cards eventually get me back to Protean, which goes right back on the table before the next turn. This would have worked even better if I wasn't using the Prayers for most of my damage, but I played tons of Mana, massive overhealing, faster Prayer ticks, and the best damage cards I could find every turn so it was good enough.

This game is seriously well designed, my goodness. I feel like I just broke it, but even then I had to avoid some stuff and certain bosses would have just been game over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

In on this Faraway thing, nickname Cyrano4747, same as my SA name

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MissMarple posted:

I made an Asphalt Overdrive gang called Goonsquad. Join it. Don't. I think you get more stuff this way.

joined as skroll82

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone know of a good card game app with decent AI? Specifically looking for Canasta, but Hearts and Spades would be nice as well.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Orvin posted:

Anyone know of a good card game app with decent AI? Specifically looking for Canasta, but Hearts and Spades would be nice as well.

Appshopper had a pretty good free gin rummy game up a couple of days ago.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Orvin posted:

Card city nights

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Thoughts on Dragon Quest IV? For some reason I'm only really capable of putting extended periods of time into vertically oriented games, I'm not sure why. I remember playing it back in the day and enjoying it but I'm pretty sure I only got through a few chapters. It's Dragon Quest VIII a better bet? I would probably only end up with one.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thank god I also have an iPad because if I only had the phone to play Baldurs Gate 1 I'd have no chance.
The squinting to make out the text isn't too horrific but the buttons require pinpoint precision to use and good loving luck getting the side bars back up (which I literally failed to manage after giving it five minutes trying) when you inevitably accidentally drop them.
Why even bother making the drat thing universal?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ChetReckless posted:

Thoughts on Dragon Quest IV? For some reason I'm only really capable of putting extended periods of time into vertically oriented games, I'm not sure why. I remember playing it back in the day and enjoying it but I'm pretty sure I only got through a few chapters. It's Dragon Quest VIII a better bet? I would probably only end up with one.

I really enjoyed it. The plot is somewhat simple but the characters are really charming and engaging. The party chat adds a lot to it as well. It's pretty lengthy as well. Took me about 35 hours.

Never played VIII though so can't compare.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Has there been any indication of iOS Minecraft receiving MFi controller support?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

terre packet posted:

Has there been any indication of iOS Minecraft receiving MFi controller support?

They said they wanted to, and it hasn't happened yet.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ChetReckless posted:

This is a fantastic game and one of my favorite in the series. I highly recommend it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ChetReckless posted:

You're choosing between two of the very best games on iOS, it's hard to go wrong with either one.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I wanted to try Battle Cats but it's not available in Europe (or Sweden).

:(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Opal posted:

Find a fake American address and make another Apple ID.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Opal posted:

Not that it's much help but it does appear in the UK store.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

terre packet posted:

Have there been any reports released on about how many of those things are even used? I've never seen one in the wild and the buzz about controller support in iOS seemed to fall off a drat cliff as soon as the first wave of products were released.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Have there been any reports released on about how many of those things are even used? I've never seen one in the wild and the buzz about controller support in iOS seemed to fall off a drat cliff as soon as the first wave of products were released.

And how do you expect users to use controllers if no software supports them? It's a stupid chicken and egg problem and it's definitely not the fault of end users. No one buys controllers because no games make them usable, no games implement controllers because no one owns them. Even the ones that do implement controllers tend to do a lovely job of of it (iCade support was always kind of crappy).

Basically if developers aren't going to address it on their own, Apple is going to have to enforce it or iOS controllers will never go anywhere.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Battle Cats: got axe cat to the equivalent of level 30, used a capsule axe cat again and got this

So I think you really need to save those cat capsules, because it looks like the only way to get to level 40, which gives you their final form("true form" so I saw somewhere I think)

Also in faraway as dogballs seeing as duckfarts isn't allowed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

xzzy posted:

And how do you expect users to use controllers if no software supports them? It's a stupid chicken and egg problem and it's definitely not the fault of end users. No one buys controllers because no games make them usable, no games implement controllers because no one owns them. Even the ones that do implement controllers tend to do a lovely job of of it (iCade support was always kind of crappy).

Basically if developers aren't going to address it on their own, Apple is going to have to enforce it or iOS controllers will never go anywhere.

I'd love to support it as soon as I make a game where it makes sense. Bungle! certainly can't use it and Drive to Hell theoretically could but it's a vertical scrolling game instead of horizontal so that's out.

I can't imagine supporting the controllers is any harder than doing controller support on the PC...which is honestly a giant pain in the rear end but once you do it the first time it gets easier.