Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anybody have an issue where the PS4 lets out a low whine when in standby? Mine has started doing this and the only way to get it to stop is to just unplug it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody have an issue where the PS4 lets out a low whine when in standby? Mine has started doing this and the only way to get it to stop is to just unplug it.

Mine does this when I have a disc in the drive, so I just take it out. Yours is probably coil noise from the fan though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

cat doter posted:

Mine does this when I have a disc in the drive, so I just take it out. Yours is probably coil noise from the fan though.

Is that something that I should be concerned about? Or is it just going to be annoying?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

This whole 30fps/60fps thing: Has anyone watched a video of recorded Destiny footage on the PS4 and thought it looked weird? It kinda feels like it's playing back slightly faster than reality or something. I can't put my finger on it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

PantsBandit posted:

Is that something that I should be concerned about? Or is it just going to be annoying?

It's just a product of the fan, sometimes they have coil noise, sometimes they don't, it's a roll of the dice. You could probably get it replaced if you complain hard enough but it's just something most people put up with.

Obsurveyor posted:

This whole 30fps/60fps thing: Has anyone watched a video of recorded Destiny footage on the PS4 and thought it looked weird? It kinda feels like it's playing back slightly faster than reality or something. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you describe what you're talking about a bit more? I'm not sure this is a product of framerate, it sounds more like a bug.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

I haven't seen much Destiny, but that was exactly how I felt when I saw the first Hobbit movie in a theater at 60fps. It looked like fast-forward, except somehow at normal speed.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It was 48 and it's because there are more frames.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

I had a launch day PS4 that started going flaky after a few months, would randomly shutdown and not turn back on. I sent it off for repair a few weeks ago and now the system I received back will not read discs.

The system sounds like it is trying to cycle the disc and read it for several attempts, and then nothing. I don't receive a disc error of any sort, there is just no evidence of a disc being in the system. Any ideas or do I have to send this poo poo back again? Also, I can't find a definite answer on the warranty of a repaired console.

After shaking and smacking the poo poo out of it, it is finally reading discs. Who knows how long it will last.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is there anything out right now with decent two player co-op? My buddy and I have played through Diablo and I didn't like Destiny during the beta. Outside of that, I am open to almost anything that we could play either through a story or on the same team on multiplayer. Bonus points if it's something we can put down for a week at a time and not be confused when we pick it up again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hekk posted:

Is there anything out right now with decent two player co-op? My buddy and I have played through Diablo and I didn't like Destiny during the beta. Outside of that, I am open to almost anything that we could play either through a story or on the same team on multiplayer. Bonus points if it's something we can put down for a week at a time and not be confused when we pick it up again.

off the top of my head:

Spelunky
Rayman
Towerfall
Plants vs Zombies

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Seriously, Spelunky. It's so fun to blow your teammate onto spikes after they accidentally throw a rock into you.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Seriously, Spelunky. It's so fun to blow your teammate onto spikes after they accidentally throw a rock into you.

I have the game but I thought it was local coop only. Is there a way to play over the internet with a friend?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hekk posted:

I have the game but I thought it was local coop only. Is there a way to play over the internet with a friend?

oh i thought you meant local co-op

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sorry for not specifying. I have a friend of mine who lived locally for a few years but has since moved. He and I keep in touch and sometimes like to play video games. I am looking for something that he and I can play through together or at least play multiplayer together on the same team. We played Diablo and I didn't enjoy Destiny. I was hoping that the Drive Club launch wasn't such poo poo since he is really into cars and racing and poo poo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Ah yeah thought you meant local. Driveclub online will sort itself out eventually (it HAS to) and then you'll have that, and Project CARS will be out in a month and a half.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hekk posted:

Sniper elite 3 has online coop

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

blackguy32 posted:

And is also a ridiculously fun game if "slow motion nazi balls exploding" sounds like a good time to you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Are the levels and engine like Sniper Elite 1 where you can have one player do nothing but spotting and scouting stealthily close to the enemy for positions/searching bodies and mopping up while the other player does the killing?

I don't think I can really put into words how amazing coop Sniper Elite 1.

Shindragon posted:

It's loving Betheseda. What game of theirs game out in 60fps on console? I"m not excusing them, this is pretty drat sad. I am still gonna pick up Evil Within because Mikami has a really good track record.

Ancient history, but both Rage and Wolfenstein were published by Bethesda and are locked at 60FPS even on PS3. Evil Within uses the same engine which is why I kept questioning the frame rate constantly whenever discussion of that game and its trailers come up. I'm sorry I started framerategate again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 12, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

And is also a ridiculously fun game if "slow motion nazi balls exploding" sounds like a good time to you.

I still think my favorite shot in that game was blowing off a dude's kneecap. ONLY the kneecap.

I loves me some SE3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I still think my favorite shot in that game was blowing off a dude's kneecap. ONLY the kneecap.

I loves me some SE3.

I'm definitely getting this as soon as it's $20.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heads up: This week, Kmart is selling Dualshock 4 controllers for $45. I believe Best Buy and Target can price-match this if you have the Kmart ad in hand.

If anyone is doing PS4 Spelunky daily challenges, I do them almost every day. PSN name is thebiglouie if you want to add me.

Zilkin posted:

I got little problem with PS store. It claims I already have DLC installed, which I haven't actually ever downloaded, and because of that I can't actually download and install the drat thing now. Is there any way to solve this?

Which add-on is this?
It could be an added service to your service list, unlocking something in the game. The service might have been included with the game. Check Settings -> PSN -> Account Information -> Services List -> name of game to see if the add-on listing is there.

Philthy posted:

What's the word on HBO Go and DLNA support? I'd like to pack up my PS3 at some point.

Nothing has been mentioned about HBO Go on PS4 since the announcement last January.
DLNA: eh, there's a workaround using Plex Media Server on a PC with the media and using it with the PS4 web browser on the same local network. Here are instructions on how to do that.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who actually has the PS+ Driveclub.
In NZ Shadow of Mordor unlocked at the same time as Driveclub and the demo WAS there and I got it! Honest!

Who wants my PS4 for, like $5000?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 12, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Teenage Fansub posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who actually has the PS+ Driveclub.
In NZ Shadow of Mordor unlocked at the same time as Driveclub and the demo WAS there and I got it! Honest!

Who wants my PS4 for, like $5000?

That's like 100 American dollars, right?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

This isn't a thing because Destiny is 30 fps. You all need your eyes checked wtf.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A lot of reviews have called the AI in DriveClub very poor (and not being aware of the player). However, testing seems to have proved otherwise.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/11/driveclubs-ai-analyzed-is-the-ps4-exclusive-racer-really-driven-by-a-band-of-bloodthirsty-killers/

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The issue with TEW is that it's locked to 30 even on consoles that can handle 60.

Fateo McMurray posted:

yeah who cares about gameplay and fun if it's not 60fps

Framerate is gameplay, hope this helps.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno man, I'm happy if they can give a consistent 30. The last video I saw of it had this dude so lagged he was jumping all over the screen :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I dunno man, I'm happy if they can give a consistent 30. The last video I saw of it had this dude so lagged he was jumping all over the screen :v:

30 is fine! The issue is that Bethesda is locking it to 30 on PC as well as console. There are a few excuses for doing this:

A) You tied the framerate to something else in the game. This is a dumb idea.
B) You believe it makes your game more cinematic. This is an even dumber idea.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

~WOOSH~

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously the fact they said oh you can uncap it but we don't recommend it means they tied something to frame rate. Aka a bad idea.

Isn't this the same poo poo that Capcom said about Dead Rising 3? They capped at 30 and said uncapping it would make it unstable?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I play on a 32 inch 1080i HDTV thats probably 6ish years old or so and I'm thinking of buying a new 32 inch 1080p TV this week. Would there be much of a noticeable difference in picture quality between the two?

Probably going to buy a new one regardless since my current TV occasionally turns off for no reason about 15 minutes after turning it on, usually while in the middle of BF4 or Destiny's Crucible...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, probably be a bit sharper pic.

I went from a 1080i rear projection to a 1080p plasma and it was like night and day, though.

Mainly because the picture on the rear projection was dark as hell, and the plasma (once tweaked with the right settings) looks perfect and bright.

Yea if it's shutting off randomly it might be time to get a new one. If you want to hold out until black friday though (or cyber monday) you might get a bit better deal.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I suppose 30fps really is what gamers have to look forward to nowadays.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

From what I watched I'm definitely getting a RE4 vibe. Bosses, trap rooms etc. I didn't want to spoil too much but I'm optimistic.

I think I posted my quakecon impressions in the RE thread already but I had a real good time with the demo. It feels more like an RE4 game than any of the proper sequel and has a ton of atmosphere. Becuase of that ghost dude, poo poo was alway tense to point I always moved and checked out places I could hide under all the time. And that alone made it more stressful than re4. Also it was really fun using and exploiting traps to take out the not-ganados with like the few bullets I had. Routing them down a hallway with trip wires is the best thing.Also im a big 60 fps kind of guy but I honestly didnt notice or care about the fact that tew was 30 fps. Probably since re4 was 30 fps too and I think I just played with that mindset. Anyway, super hyped for tuesday.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 12, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Has anyone played Natural Doctrine and is the gameplay decent? Looks to be the only hardcore RPG, although the graphics look weak I can forgive if the gameplay is solid...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

Has anyone played Natural Doctrine and is the gameplay decent? Looks to be the only hardcore RPG, although the graphics look weak I can forgive if the gameplay is solid...

It's... interesting. I can't really say it is good but it is the sort of game where it can kind of hit the sweet spot if you really like punishing games with weird mechanics. I really can't recommend it for full price as it's really hard to say if it will be to your taste or not.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shindragon posted:

Seriously the fact they said oh you can uncap it but we don't recommend it means they tied something to frame rate. Aka a bad idea.

Isn't this the same poo poo that Capcom said about Dead Rising 3? They capped at 30 and said uncapping it would make it unstable?

It doesn't make it unstable. There is nothing that breaks in Dead Rising 3 when you run at 60fps. The problem is that they just plain did not give a poo poo to optimize it. GTX Titan couldn't get a solid 60fps unless it was running at 720p

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cat doter posted:

The fact that the PS+ version is still a no go is kinda pathetic.

PS online in general is pretty pathetic. Sony has not transitioned into the online world gracefully. As much as I like PS4 it's really a joke with their endless stupid problems. 360 was better 7 years ago and thats why people bought 360's over PS3s for so long.

Nothing ever seems to work correctly. If nothing else Xbox felt stable.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

o.m. 94 posted:

I have it from gamefly and I'm having a ton of fun with it. But I can see why all the review are terrible. My recommendation is rent and then buy on sale.

Don't approach it as a tactical RPG like xcom or fft or disgaea. Its closer to a chess puzzle than anything else. The difficulty is unforgiving even on easy and you absolutely must learn to abuse the mechanics to win. Either you crush the computer or the computer crushes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the thing with Dead Rising is that they didn't have the time/money to test the port outside of the XBox's cap, so wouldn't have it as an in-game option, but the devs outright said something like "Go for it. Put =true in the .ini file."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread