Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Possibly, sure. But she would hardly be the first young 20's actress to have a 'mental break' including a stint in psychiatric care in an attempt to revitalize her career.

And if it actually is a mental illness, which literally nobody on this forum is qualified to verify, then she's certainly not an idiot, she's sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

nucleicmaxid posted:

Possibly, sure. But she would hardly be the first young 20's actress to have a 'mental break' including a stint in psychiatric care in an attempt to revitalize her career.

And if it actually is a mental illness, which literally nobody on this forum is qualified to verify, then she's certainly not an idiot, she's sick.

Not like having a mental illness has ever stopped goons from making fun of people before.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Please list some names of actresses who you believe faked mental illness to gain some sort of career advantage. I'm curious.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Apogee15 posted:

Not like having a mental illness has ever stopped goons from making fun of people before.

Very true! I guess I just prefer the 'actual idiot posting dumb antivax poo poo on facebook' type posts. To each their own!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I just got into an argument about spanking kids, does someone have a link the the article posted in this thread about how spanking is bad for punishment, great for sex? I've been trying to find it, but on mobile it's impossible.

Edit: Found it. Now my search history is weird.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Oct 11, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Please list some names of actresses who you believe faked mental illness to gain some sort of career advantage. I'm curious.

If there's anything our society takes seriously, it's young women with mental illnesses. It makes them totally popular and sympathetic and certainly doesn't lead to people dismissing them as "crazy bitches".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kannonfodder posted:

I just got into an argument about spanking kids, does someone have a link the the article posted in this thread about how spanking is bad for punishment, great for sex? I've been trying to find it, but on mobile it's impossible.

Edit: Found it. Now my search history is weird.

Private Browsing, reporting for duty.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

So do you guys think that Winona Ryder was faking kleptomania?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Intersex. No idea how this is different from trans.

Sorry for bringing this back up but Intersex is completely different from Trans. A lot of people born with the condition have surgery performed on them while still an infant to make them adhere to one gender since they are usually born with a combination of both sets of genitals. They then grow up and may later realize they had surgery forced on them, or that they are both male and female. The runner Caster Semenya is one example of an intersex woman (her ovaries are actually testes) that had a lot controversy around her. Another example would be Eva Robins, who was raised as a boy until she went through puberty and realized she was intersex, then began living as a woman.

Trans people are born as male or female and later change their gender through hormone treatment and/or surgery. The only similarity are the surgery or hormones they may take are similar to the ones intersex people take. Otherwise, they're two completely different conditions concerning sex/gender.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LoonShia posted:

Private Browsing, reporting for duty.

Private browsing is for people who feel shame.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kannonfodder posted:

Private browsing is for people who feel shame.

I don't know, Private Browsing is a good friend of Corporal Punishment.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

LoonShia posted:

Private Browsing's seen some things man, somethings like you wouldn't believe!

(Yes I watch Mock the Week too)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

spog posted:

'LGBTQI' ?
If Stephen Fry ever has Sue Perkins, Sandi Toksvig and Graham Norton on the show on the same night, that's what they should call it.

Tracula posted:

These are people who probably believe that FEMA is run by the Illuminati/Majestic 12 and that Deus Ex is literally how the world is, the same organization is making the cause and cure to the Grey Death (or Ebola in our case).
I'm reading the Illuminatus! trilogy at the moment, and as a regular reader of this thread, a lot of that hits entirely too close to home.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm so glad I'm an adult and can play video games without basing my entire existence around it.

I love how much projecting these people do :allears:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

LoonShia posted:

In my experience, Private Browsing is more closely associated with Major Wood.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

John Big Booty posted:

Careful, I hear Wood's best buddy is Major Jakov.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Oct 12, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Stephen Fry ever has Sue Perkins, Sandi Toksvig and Graham Norton on the show on the same night, that's what they should call it.

That would actually be a really good episode, too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

John Big Booty posted:

Major Wood has a civilian friend named Harry Paratestes

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
All of my in-laws have started to friend me on facebook!

Oh boy!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

nucleicmaxid posted:

Oh I get it now, man so meta

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
I got back on facebook because of this thread and didn't think those stupid money things were that common, until today when a friend of mine from high school posted this.

At least she's cool otherwise? (aside from her cosplay obsession.)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the Ray Rice situation (lovingly pulled from the ever amazing InfoSecTaylorSwift on Twitter):

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Unfunny Poster posted:

On the Ray Rice situation (lovingly pulled from the ever amazing InfoSecTaylorSwift on Twitter):

On some level this is easily one of the most disgusting things I've read in this thread and it genuinely pisses me off more than I can really rationalize.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tracula posted:

On some level this is easily one of the most disgusting things I've read in this thread and it genuinely pisses me off more than I can really rationalize.

"I mean, yeah, he raped her, but he didn't slit her throat afterwards, so he was practically a gentleman!"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone else getting posts that go: "Saying white girls love pumpkin spice [whatevers] is fine, but saying black people love [purple drank/friend chicken/watermelon] is racist"? The insinuation being that it's either equally racist (and stop making fun of poor white me) or that it should be fine to latter statement.

I've been seeing that pop up a bit too much and I don't have near the amount of patience to try and explain the context behind black stereotypes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crain posted:

Anyone else getting posts that go: "Saying white girls love pumpkin spice [whatevers] is fine, but saying black people love [purple drank/friend chicken/watermelon] is racist"? The insinuation being that it's either equally racist (and stop making fun of poor white me) or that it should be fine to latter statement.

I've been seeing that pop up a bit too much and I don't have near the amount of patience to try and explain the context behind black stereotypes.

I don't even know what the context is. I know that people joke about black people loving fried chicken and watermelon and I can't even muster up being insulted because that stuff is delicious.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RareAcumen posted:

I don't even know what the context is. I know that people joke about black people loving fried chicken and watermelon and I can't even muster up being insulted because that stuff is delicious.

Honestly, I've found that some of the people who complain about that kind of thing are doing it from a position of "it's funny when this person likes a thing but not when another person likes a thing, why?" and not "why can't I be racist!?" Also fried chicken is easily one of mankind's greatest culinary achievements and everyone should love it regardless of race, religion, gender, creed, political stance, time period, and possibly species.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Tell that to my GI tract. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Honestly, I've found that some of the people who complain about that kind of thing are doing it from a position of "it's funny when this person likes a thing but not when another person likes a thing, why?" and not "why can't I be racist!?" Also fried chicken is easily one of mankind's greatest culinary achievements and everyone should love it regardless of race, religion, gender, creed, political stance, time period, and possibly species.

I'm sure I'm missing something totally obvious but it's like; you're talking about foods that drat near everyone likes and saying that it's a joke that 'oh look, this race enjoys [popular food] lol!' just doesn't tickle my funny bone. It's like laughing at someone who likes hamburgers. I dunno. I'm sure it's something about it being poor people food [which is super hilarious since that's what lobster was at first :v:] since that's the running thing with black people.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm so sorry. :negative:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm so glad I'm an adult and can play video games without basing my entire existence around it.

Wait. So there's another girl that's not Zoe Quinn that's having all of this weird poo poo happen now?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something totally obvious but it's like; you're talking about foods that drat near everyone likes and saying that it's a joke that 'oh look, this race enjoys [popular food] lol!' just doesn't tickle my funny bone. It's like laughing at someone who likes hamburgers. I dunno. I'm sure it's something about it being poor people food [which is super hilarious since that's what lobster was at first :v:] since that's the running thing with black people.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's mostly the poor people thing and even further a Southern thing. Which seems weird as, to the best of my knowledge, fried chicken is popular in the South period so...Yeah. The joke itself has pretty much become the punchline, I think, for a lot of people. People laugh at how silly it is to suggest that only a specific race is going to like something as magical as fried chicken.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

My condolences.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bored posted:

Wait. So there's another girl that's not Zoe Quinn that's having all of this weird poo poo happen now?

KoldPT posted:

the internet is a really fun place

Yeah I made the mistake of actually googling "Brianna Wu." And then reading the comments on the articles. And also reading the reddit links that showed up. In short it was literally: "she was asking for it/wanted it."

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Oct 12, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yeah I made the mistake of actually googling "Brianna Wu." And then reading the comments on the articles. And also reading the reddit links that showed up. In short it was literally: "she was asking for it/wanted it."

I'm really confused. I decided to google it and Huffington Post said that Gamergate was all about protecting the identity of gamers. I thought that after they'd decided that Quinn was a dirty,dirty whore,they said that gamergate was about corruption in gaming journalism. When did they change their minds about their coverstory?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I honestly don't understand how anyone can give a single gently caress about Game Journalism. It's like being mad that music or entertainment journalist are just shills. Does Mary Hart get death threats cause she keeps pushing Hunger Games or won't shut up about Modern Family?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bored posted:

I'm really confused. I decided to google it and Huffington Post said that Gamergate was all about protecting the identity of gamers. I thought that after they'd decided that Quinn was a dirty,dirty whore,they said that gamergate was about corruption in gaming journalism. When did they change their minds about their coverstory?

They're sticking to the 'it's about corruption in games journalism' (corruption by those filthy SJWs there's absolutely no other systemic issues of corruption in games journalism, including by the people supporting our movement, nope not at all), they're just also attacking women in the industry. Apparently there's absolutely no conflict there.

EDIT: I want to know if it's only games as a burgeoning media that have faced these kinds of shitlord movements around it, or if there was an obscure movement like this around film in the early twentieth century or something.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Oct 12, 2014

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

JT Smiley posted:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can give a single gently caress about Game Journalism. It's like being mad that music or entertainment journalist are just shills. Does Mary Hart get death threats cause she keeps pushing Hunger Games or won't shut up about Modern Family?
I've sent her a few, yeah.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

So I got a friend request from an old high school friend, so since I haven't seen or heard anything from him in about 14 years I thought I'd take a look at his timeline to see what he's been up to. Turns out he's a youth preacher or whatever they're called and he's one of those that tries really hard to be cool to appeal to the kids these days. I won't post any pictures of him but he dresses how rural white people (which is what he is) imagine black people dress with a Fubu hat and a gigantic gold cross chain.

He's got some pretty dumb political opinions, which is unsurprising.

But oh, what's this?

Oh man

That was several months ago and didn't seem to go anywhere, but as luck would have it, while I was taking a coffee break from collecting these he sent out another call (at almost 4AM his time) to spread the good word through rural white guy rap. I hope we at least get a YouTube video out of this one.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Friend of a friend on my Facebook posts like a 50 year old racist aunt in spite of being a 20 something. Today's offender was a meme to the effect of "I hope my government never finds life on other planets, because they'll start sending money there." Good to know he's racist against green people as well as brown people.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Perry Normal posted:

Friend of a friend on my Facebook posts like a 50 year old racist aunt in spite of being a 20 something. Today's offender was a meme to the effect of "I hope my government never finds life on other planets, because they'll start sending money there." Good to know he's racist against green people as well as brown people.

"It's not about filthy foreigners. It's really about fiscal responsibility."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't think that Masculine 'Murican Male knows how to hold that gun.

• Locked thread