Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I dunno. ACM and Duke Nukem Forever seem to be the only really dire things in their catalog. They're pretty big black marks, but still. I do wonder about Homeworld HD. The cutscene they released looks pretty good but we've seen ZERO gameplay.

What exactly do think they're going to do to the gameplay? They aren't going to change that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

What exactly do think they're going to do to the gameplay? They aren't going to change that at all.

I'm more worried about them loving things up bug/scripting wise than anything.

According to interviews they've replaced the whole video renderer which could mean compatibility issues among other things.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Thankfully, going by interviews even Anthony Burch wasn't happy with his writing for BL2 and I hope Pre-Sequel tones it down. They've already said no memes which is a good start and that it has a more "Australian" sense of humour which is basically dry wit like the Brits love over slapstick.

otoh one of the characters is loving Claptrap.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

otoh one of the characters is loving Claptrap.

gross, what deviant would gently caress a robot

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mokinokaro posted:

but every character doesn't need to be constantly spouting "funny" dialogue or memes.

I dunno about you, but every time Gaige went "Ooh, I just love comparin' loot!", a :3: always crept up onto my face. Because I do, too. I don't mind the shooters keeping their personalities.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Morter posted:

I dunno about you, but every time Gaige went "Ooh, I just love comparin' loot!", a :3: always crept up onto my face. Because I do, too. I don't mind the shooters keeping their personalities.
I remember the first time I used his special ability, I heard the gunzerker just yell out "ONE LINER!" which struck me as funny as hell v:v:v

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Thankfully, going by interviews even Anthony Burch wasn't happy with his writing for BL2 and I hope Pre-Sequel tones it down. They've already said no memes which is a good start and that it has a more "Australian" sense of humour which is basically dry wit like the Brits love over slapstick.

I'd kill for some dry wit in Borderlands. Even when 2 wasn't directly quoting memes, every other line was like an attempt to create a meme. Every goddamn thing Handsome Jack said was basically memecreator fodder, or at least attempted to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think they absolutely nailed the personalities of the vault hunters. My personal comparison is that nobody is the Rochelle of the group. Everyone rags on Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2 because when she is not basically void of a personality, her whole existence as a character hinges on being a foil to the other three who are the wiseguys. She's just not interesting, and I saw a whole lot of flak about it when the game was in its heyday.

Borderlands 2 doesn't have anyone like that. The player characters are all entertaining and are actually the only thing that has remained consistently funny over hundreds of hours of gameplay. So, I hope TPS is able to replicate that because 2 just went to show how important it is to me.

edit: Though, in Rochelle's case specifically, Valve definitely addressed peoples' issues with her in the game's DLC content especially when interacting with the Left 4 Dead 1 survivors. In the same vein I think Zero is probably the least consistently funny vault hunter for me, but as some of the one-off DLCs introduced more personality to the player characters, I think I came to like him more.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 12, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Borderlands 2 is funny if you're, like, twelve.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
For anyone that pre-ordered that garbage sequel to that garbage game like me, it's up for pre-load now.
Looking forward to it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

Bold statement, here's one of my own: Actually it's also funny to people over that age. It's just a shame Anthony Burch has a terrible sense of humor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

I'd kill for some dry wit in Borderlands. Even when 2 wasn't directly quoting memes, every other line was like an attempt to create a meme. Every goddamn thing Handsome Jack said was basically memecreator fodder, or at least attempted to be.

Handsome Jack was the worst part about that whole game for me. Also they really should not have made the vault hunters from the first game into real characters. They're dull and who honestly cares about anything that happens to any of them? The most sympathetic of the lot was the bird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Handsome Jack was the worst part about that whole game for me. Also they really should not have made the vault hunters from the first game into real characters. They're dull and who honestly cares about anything that happens to any of them? The most sympathetic of the lot was the bird.
Lilith clumsily flirting with Roland was memorable for me, at least.

I wonder if/how they will show up in this game?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

I think it is funny, but then I never claimed to have good taste v:shobon:v

I got past the first few levels of Tron 2.0, and it is real good. Basically a very light Deus Ex set in the Tron universe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kragger99 posted:

For anyone that pre-ordered that garbage sequel to that garbage game like me, it's up for pre-load now.
Looking forward to it!

Goddammit Kragger. Have you played Tron 2.0 yet?

Everyone keeps saying it's good, and you're making me kinda want to play it. I'm perplexed that a tron game might actually be good.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

Goddammit Kragger. Have you played Tron 2.0 yet?

Everyone keeps saying it's good, and you're making me kinda want to play it. I'm perplexed that a tron game might actually be good.

It's good! Real good.

For anyone having issues installing the Killer App mod, by the way: Find the tron.exe and set "run as administrator" on it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Tron 2.0 was made by Monolith right after NOLF 1 and 2 and AvP 2, which explains why it was actually good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure the Rochelle of BL2 is actually Zer0. But's that's okay because you have 5 other characters to choose from.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm pretty sure the Rochelle of BL2 is actually Zer0. But's that's okay because you have 5 other characters to choose from.

What, in that he's incredibly boring and almost devoid of character? I never found anything particularly off-putting about playing as Rochelle aside from that her quotes weren't nearly as fun as anyone else's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't suppose BLPS will allow you to respec your character into another character, or something to avoid starting the whole game over when you want to try someone else?

edit: short of editing the save files, that is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't suppose BLPS will allow you to respec your character into another character, or something to avoid starting the whole game over when you want to try someone else?

Snowball, hell, percentages, that whole story.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey I got a question about video game controllers: The left shoulder button on my xbox controller is pretty much gone and I'm looking to replace the thing. Is it pretty easy to get a DS4 working with a PC these days? or should I pick up one of those logitech controllers?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey I got a question about video game controllers: The left shoulder button on my xbox controller is pretty much gone and I'm looking to replace the thing. Is it pretty easy to get a DS4 working with a PC these days? or should I pick up one of those logitech controllers?
I've been using a DS4 exclusively for PC games (emulating a 360 controller) for so long now that I sometimes forget it is not what games officially support. It is more or less perfect and trouble-free.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Just checked on a whim and apparently the Dieselstörmers coupon works on 4packs, but expires today

Anybody interested at ~$4.70 a copy?

It's from the people who made Giana Sisters,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozhOwZYXjg

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So some Pirate simulator game seems to be coming out later this month, but the devs seems average/trashy :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I see Endless Legend is getting some pretty good ratings and people seem to say its fun. But what makes it better than Endless Space? Is just the setting better? I do love fantasy (Warcraft 3 was my favorite craft, Anno 1404 > 2070, etc). I didn't care too much for ES, mostly it just felt a bit rigid and stale. Would I even like EL at all?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Heran Bago posted:

For someone not familiar with hidden object games who got the Indie Gala bundle, which is the best one to start with?

I'm pretty much expecting adventure games with less combining the marshmallow with the dental floss to get the fishing pole.

I doubt you'll see enough difference between them for it to matter. The two Nightmares From the Deep games have an order so play the Cursed Heart before the Siren's Call. The only difference between these types of games I've noticed (not these specific ones, but in general) are that some have extra achievements for finding little graphic effects that fade in and out of some scenes, or some more interactive object-finding.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Xaris posted:

I see Endless Legend is getting some pretty good ratings and people seem to say its fun. But what makes it better than Endless Space? Is just the setting better? I do love fantasy (Warcraft 3 was my favorite craft, Anno 1404 > 2070, etc). I didn't care too much for ES, mostly it just felt a bit rigid and stale. Would I even like EL at all?

While I haven't played it myself, you may want to check out the EL thread here on the forums. Sounds like a lot of people like it, but it has some serious caveats you'd have to overlook to really enjoy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

So some Pirate simulator game seems to be coming out later this month, but the devs seems average/trashy :(

Raven's Cry is by the developers of Two Worlds. Whether that lights your face with a big ol' shiteating smile or makes you groan in disgust is, of course, up to you.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Xaris posted:

The setting is WAYY better. If you have a bit of time, you should check out the Idle Thumbs podcast that gushes over the game.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/teenage-zombie-insects

There are issues if you focus specifically on how the strategic gameplay goes, but the experience of exploring the world and game systems is amazing. The faction quest line is incredibly engaging, if a bit annoying to complete at times.

Also it's the first 4x I've actually beaten since Master of Orion 2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

The gap in quality between the four launch classes (which are all fairly boring) and Gaige/Krieg is so huge, I really hope it was indicative of them learning to design better after BL2 and not just of designing the DLC classes better because they were DLC.

Hopefully, the Pre-Sequel classes are more like those two (with their own interesting and unique central mechanic that's reused in all three trees on top of having a class skill) than the four BL2 launch classes (who were just boring gun people with a bland class skill). Nysha or whatever her name is has the lash and the sadism stacks so that's good, and Wilhelm has cybernetics technically (although it's only one tree), but I'm a little worried that Athena/Claptrap will end up as "use your guns until your class skill is off cooldown, press class skill, use guns until off cooldown again" characters who get stuck between buffing their lovely boring gun skills or buffing their class skill.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Also, if anyone wanted a cheaper copy of Borderlands Pre-sequel, it's 35$ on Nuuvem:

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2282-borderlands-the-pre-sequel

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
How badly will I get my rear end kicked in MGR: Revengeance, if I'm not that well acquinted with the games of that genre (e.g. Bayonetta, DMC series etc.)? I recently bought Castlevania: LoS, and had some problems with wrapping my head around activating powers, reaction-blocking and varying my combos. On the other hand, the LoS series is poo poo from start to finish, so maybe I just didn't even want to put that much thought into the game.

I'm just afraid I'll buy Revengeance and can't progress past the first actual boss or something. :saddowns: I'm currently torn between buying Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD edition, which I know I'll love, since I already completed on the Gamecube years back. On the other hand, I'd want to try something new.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Revengeance is easier than a regular Platinum hack-n-slash so you should be fine.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Try it on normal first and then if you feel you're struggling switch to easy. It'll probably be worth watching this video which explains how to play better than the ingame tutorials do
The games a lot of fun and absolutely worth persevering with.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Also, if anyone wanted a cheaper copy of Borderlands Pre-sequel, it's 35$ on Nuuvem:

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2282-borderlands-the-pre-sequel
Weren't there rumblings about this being region-locked?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Weren't there rumblings about this being region-locked?

It doesn't say so on the page, at least.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Xaris posted:

Endless Legend is a good game imo but to be brutally honest it is literally Endless Space with a (MUCH) worse battle system.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Endless Legend's biggest selling points are the artistic direction, the way it plays with 4X conventions (like having a personalized storyline for every faction) and that modding is coming soon.

The biggest drawbacks are lovely AI and ranged supremacy that makes Civ V combat look balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How do you guys categorize your Steam games?

• Locked thread