Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, they upped the CGi real good in that first bit, it was like staring at real life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pleasant Friend posted:

Here's a preview for season 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nVuibUA_vpo

I like that they at least acknowledge the voice change to Leo, but whoa 3 months is a long time, how is New York and the world not destroyed yet?

THAT WAS CLEARLY A THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN REFERENCE!
:goonsay:

I love how this show makes it a point that the Turtles get all their ideas and bad influences from old 80s cartoons. It's just too perfect.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Wait, ... The season premiere is debuting at Walmart? Is that a thing that happens now in the age of "the network has decided to put the remaining episodes up online because we'll roll things out how, when, and where we feel like it, and you can just catch up, bitches", or am I crazy?

It does look like a pretty decent start to the Northampton arc, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Inkspot posted:

Wait, ... The season premiere is debuting at Walmart? Is that a thing that happens now in the age of "the network has decided to put the remaining episodes up online because we'll roll things out how, when, and where we feel like it, and you can just catch up, bitches", or am I crazy?

It does look like a pretty decent start to the Northampton arc, though.

It's a 'preview' of seven minutes of the episode, probably because Walmart is good at selling TMNT merch and putting that there might make kids convince their parents to buy better tvs or something, idk.

Rolling out episodes like this is probably Nick finding digital numbers to be way better than ol' TV ones what with actually being exact numbers instead of some wild guess from the 80's, plus, y'know, easier to catch up since the viewer can watch how, when and where they feel like it at any given time instead of hoping the DVR catches it. :v: Plus gives a chance for international viewers to actually help the ratings.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Great call back to the first movie!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Plus gives a chance for international viewers to actually help the ratings.

Nickelodeon posted:

This video is not available in your country.

:australia:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Google Hola and welcome to the age of legal proxies via browser extensions.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Light Gun Man posted:

:science: + :spergin: Utrom trivia time!

It's Utrom, no L in there. Easy and common mistake though!
In the 87 show Krang is never stated to be an Utrom, and sometimes is said to have had an organic full body before having it taken away (it's inconsistent though). He's an Utrom in the new comics though, and the TMNT newspaper strip says he is one too, sorta. 2003 had a cameo where an Utrom seen for like 2 seconds was referred to as Krang.
2012 Kraangs are Kraangs and not Utroms, unless maybe something happened in the episodes I haven't seen yet. Obviously based on them though more malicious.
The Professor in the second movie was supposedly going to be revealed as an Utrom in a scene but sadly that did not happen. Movie makes a lot more sense in my head if he is one, I want to believe.

In summary,

87 could never decide what to do with Krang. He was implied to have lost his body, or had it taken away as a punishment. There's one episode where he clones himself and his clones end up growing giant lizard bodies. But there's also flash backs that show Krang's people as all using those little walker robots.

They never seemed to know if Krang was an all powerful warlord that controlled dimension X and was moving onto earth, or if he had been defeated and exiled to earth. They usually went with the first one, but would also show armies of robots and rock soldiers just hanging out ready to invade.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

30 years of TMNT and we have yet to see a live action Krang or Utrom!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Tonight's new episode being a homage to Friday the 13th and Jason was badass!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hypersleep posted:

30 years of TMNT and we have yet to see a live action Krang or Utrom!

Or a Triceraton or Leatherhead, it's bullshit. Professor Perry will forever be a secret Utrom in my heart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm actually kind of glad that the 90s live action Turtles films didn't attempt Leatherhead or Rocksteady or BeBop. They probably could have had a fair crack at Krang but there's no way they could have successfully pulled off the Technodrome and all the other stuff that goes along with him so they probably would have left all that out and had the Turtles face off against him in an abandoned steel mill or something.

The Secret of the Ooze was such a lost opportunity. They gave it almost twice the budget of the first film (which was still fairly small considering how much money the first film made) but once again handed the reins to a director and a writer no one had ever heard of but with the added demand that the Turtles not be shown using their weapons. In the end the film made about a third as much as the first TMNT film and segued into TMNT 3 and we all know how that went.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 4, 2014

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm actually kind of glad that the 90s live action Turtles films didn't attempt Leatherhead or Rocksteady or BeBop. They probably could have had a fair crack at Krang but there's no way they could have successfully pulled off the Technodrome and all the other stuff that goes along with him so they probably would have left all that out and had the Turtles face off against him in an abandoned steel mill or something.

Honestly I would've rather seen Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady or the Triceratons using lovely low budget practical effects back in the 90s rather than seeing them in 2016 using lovely big budget CG.

I'm being half serious, as the CG for the turtles in the latest movie was actually pretty good, but the movie itself was garbage, so it was a wash overall.

That said, if early word on the sequel really is indicative of what they want to do with it, we'll probably be seeing Bebop and Rocksteady in the next movie...

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Whaaaat Season 3 is starting already? I didn't think the turnaround would be THAT fast.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just love that every season has a different TV show they're all into. This psychopathic He-Man should be as good as the slap happy Kirk one.

Was this episode based on a comic? I kind of dimly remember one with a leech that sucked out Ralph's mutagen.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Grognard the Barbarian? gently caress yeah. This show is fantastic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dr_Amazing posted:

I just love that every season has a different TV show they're all into. This psychopathic He-Man should be as good as the slap happy Kirk one.

Was this episode based on a comic? I kind of dimly remember one with a leech that sucked out Ralph's mutagen.

Yeah, that was a comic issue: http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodsucker

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Creep sewed its arm back on using worms.

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

Much of that episode was creepy and violent as hell. Raph being a dog-like plant was terrifying, especially when he's whimpering. Really good stuff.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

This was a really well done episode, mixing Friday the 13th and the segment of the first Creepshow where a farmer (played by Stephen King) discovers a meteorite that ends up covering him in swamp moss. Awesome homages in this episode.

Still getting used to Green as Leo. He sounds more mature than Raph now, and much older than Donnie and especially Mikey.

I'm guessing their stay in North Hampton will be short, episode wise, judging from Leo's quick recovery. They did completely jump over 3 months. What's going on in NYC during these months? The Kraang surely could be expanding from NYC to other areas within 3 months.

This is also why I think calling it the O'Neil farm instead of the Jones farm like in the Mirage comic makes little sense. The Kraang were investigating April deeply. Surely they'd know in short order where she grew up? They Kraang and/or Shredder could've been ringing the doorbell only days after the turtles' retreat.

Ah well, it's a cartoon.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

According to New York Comic Con reports Hun and Renet will be introduced in season 3, and Renet will be Mikey's love interest.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Uh oh does this mean we might get a cyber shredder in a few seasons?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Kraang have always seemed, irregardless of their technological advancement, to be not terribly sharp characters. Having them blow off the Turtles now that they're triumphant seems pretty well in character.

Another thing to consider is that if Renet is involved, time travel may come into play, and that may play into how the Kraang are defeated.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Wow, good job April. Mixed signals is exactly what Donny needs.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

The whole time I was watching the new episode I was thinking that The Finger sounded like Jesse Ventura and sure enough it was him. How does this show get so many celebrities to do voices? Do other Nick cartoons have this many celebrities voicing characters?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hypersleep posted:

The whole time I was watching the new episode I was thinking that The Finger sounded like Jesse Ventura and sure enough it was him. How does this show get so many celebrities to do voices? Do other Nick cartoons have this many celebrities voicing characters?

Legend of Korra got some celebrities to do voices too, i think a walking dead guy did the voice of The First Avatar in a two-parter.

I was enjoying the wacky sitcomical adventures of Big Foot up till that last bit, I really hope they're not actually going for it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Urrrgh.

Until now, there was not an episode I would describe as "weak". Maybe some were wackier or less plot relevant than others, but they all had something that made them worthwhile.

That was loving garbage. What the loving hell was that. What the gently caress happened.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

TheFattestPat posted:

Wow, good job April. Mixed signals is exactly what Donny needs.

He was finally getting it too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If they wiped out Donnie's crush on April then he wouldn't have any personality at all. ("A way with machines" is a skill, not a personality trait.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

If they wiped out Donnie's crush on April then he wouldn't have any personality at all. ("A way with machines" is a skill, not a personality trait.)

Does machines. Donatello does machines.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think Mechnophilia is inappropriate for a television show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah we all had our suspicions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, he'd probably still do the thing that started the crush: finding something sketchy to do and going for it so hard it puts everyone in danger without reflecting on how it could go wrong. (i.e. the mutant medicine last episode, the whole turtle mech plan, how he went about making Metal Head the first time, etc.)
What i'm saying is that Donnie is the worst turtle and he could bare to lose one of his worse traits.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That's sort of a way of doing part of his Mirage personality I suppose. In Mirage, Donatello is the turtle most likely to hide things from the others, as he tends to have some sort of secret project that the others would find troubling. For example he kept Baxter Stockman's cyborg remains locked up in a sewer somewhere for like years to get info from him. There is also a part where he clones Splinter although he had a good reason for doing it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, the Mirage one was also differentiated by being the one looking for means to solve issues without just applying his staff liberally. That leads him to trying to find creative solutions to problems, even if they happen to be sketchy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was also a pretty lovely way to tell her. Instead of "I realize that sometimes people don't feel the same way about each other and trying to force it doesn't help anything." he says "I'm sorry I'm a horrible muntant no one will ever love."

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Donnie/April thing needs to end, it was like the Dipper/Wendy thing in Gravity Falls. Weird, creepy, and not gonna happen. The GF Crew at least pulled the bandaid off and did something interesting with it in that show to get rid of it.

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was also a pretty lovely way to tell her. Instead of "I realize that sometimes people don't feel the same way about each other and trying to force it doesn't help anything." he says "I'm sorry I'm a horrible muntant no one will ever love."

Yep.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 13, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I really hope that puts the kibosh on Donny's crush, but with that lousy out at the end has me feeling it's not going anywhere. :(

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the rumors of Mikey's crush on Renet could help Donnie figure out how to break up without begging for pity and show April how to not exacerbate the problem by confusing Donnie even further. While they do need to then actually give the purple one a real personality after this, this doomed romance really is turning into the weakest link of this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Urrrgh.

Until now, there was not an episode I would describe as "weak". Maybe some were wackier or less plot relevant than others, but they all had something that made them worthwhile.

That was loving garbage. What the loving hell was that. What the gently caress happened.

Going to have to agree. There have been weak episodes before but this one was the weakest. It didn't advance the story in any way whatsoever, and even as filler it was lame.

Also I just realized, if Leo was in a pseudo-coma for three months, how is he not utterly weak/emaciated? We are to presume that he didn't eat or drink during this time, right?

I know, it's a cartoon...

• Locked thread