Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

It is, but his point was that it wasn't present in Sunshine.

If you are using the jet nozzle, and running really fast, and then jump, i think that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Not in the FLUDD-less levels, which are the only place you'd ever need a long jump, anyway.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2014

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I missed the long jump in Sunshine, but being able to hop on your stomach repeatedly to move quickly, as well as being able to create a water slide wherever you go more than made up for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

I agree with whoever said Rayman 2 was the best, though. Rayman 2 is, and always will be, the best. :colbert:

Yeah, Rayman 2 is reaaaally loving good. Better than it has any right to be.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rayman 2, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, and Rocket:Robot on Wheels (the studio that would later make Sly Cooper) all came out in Fall 1999.

It was a very good few months for twelve year old me.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Super Mario 64 is utter garbage and the DS port is the only version even worth touching (somehow has analog support if you put it in your 3DS).

Sunshine is far superior because it has more of a "Mario" feel than generic 39 year old short dude in green smeared poo poo land.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely anything posted:

I think Banjo-Kazooie is steal real good and for the most part holds up (except notes resetting (they fix this in the XBLA version THANK GOD)).

Banjo-Tooie is one of the worst loving games ever made

What was so bad about Tooie?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Super Mario 64 is utter garbage and the DS port is the only version even worth touching (somehow has analog support if you put it in your 3DS).

Sunshine is far superior because it has more of a "Mario" feel than generic 39 year old short dude in green smeared poo poo land.

No it doesn't, you still have to press Y to run, and even with the slidepad it controls awkwardly, since it's rigid eight-direction movement.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I bought a 2ds a month ago and tried mario 64 with it - the circle pad is an improvement but it is still awkward as hell to use.

The whole joy of Mario 64 is those silky smooth, infinitely controllable set of moves. And the DS port takes that away.

Then again, I've never played Psychonauts, despite it sitting on my 360 hard drive for years. So I'm clearly an idiot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

Too much collecting poo poo, not enough bosses(neither does M64 either but i think it actually still has more), too many attempts at humour that fall flat, and some really bullshit segments like the SS Grunty engine room and randomly generated quiz answers knock it down a few pegs but yeah its pretty much peak N64 platformer. Tooie can go to hell though.

the bosses weren't that great (aside from the final one which was pretty good) and they sucked mostly in Mario 64 so I'm glad that they put their energy and time into making things that are fun to play instead of bosses. The other perfect games are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Metroid Prime, and Punch Out. Thank you for your time.

E: Sly Cooper 2 and 3 and Resident Evil 4 all come close

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It's good that there's no long jump in Sunshine, because it completely broke the challenge in 64 and moreso in Galaxy. I replayed the Galaxy games and idk if I even died once on the non-wiimote gimick levels.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

It's good that there's no long jump in Sunshine, because it completely broke the challenge in 64 and moreso in Galaxy. I replayed the Galaxy games and idk if I even died once on the non-wiimote gimick levels.
Yeah, it's a good thing they didn't ruin the difficulty of slowly hovering over gaps by including the long jump, huh?

The ease of general gameplay in both 64 and Galaxy has a lot less to do with the existence of the long jump and a lot more to do with the level design and the way the long jump interacts with the level design. With the long jump in 64 and especially Galaxy, the long jump not only carries you a far distance, but also offers the player a surprising amount of control over its speed, despite the fact that the player is forced to move forward until landing. In Galaxy, this combines with the spin jump and the game's general floatiness to offer the player multiple ways to both cross huge gaps and prevent themselves from falling into whichever abyss (if there even is one) to pretty effectively remove difficulty from the majority of the game. In 64, it's more to do with the fact that very few levels have bottomless pits, and 64 has a very forgiving health system. Sunshine has several courses that are more bottomless pit than they are platforming, and while I can certainly imagine that the long jump would make these sections easier, I think they'd still be pretty tough. They'd likely be less frustrating as well, since you'd have an option for long-jumping that wouldn't leave you sliding into the great beyond.

Whoever picked out that avatar for you is a genius, it really amplifies your posts.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, it's a good thing they didn't ruin the difficulty of slowly hovering over gaps by including the long jump, huh?

The ease of general gameplay in both 64 and Galaxy has a lot less to do with the existence of the long jump and a lot more to do with the level design and the way the long jump interacts with the level design. With the long jump in 64 and especially Galaxy, the long jump not only carries you a far distance, but also offers the player a surprising amount of control over its speed, despite the fact that the player is forced to move forward until landing. In Galaxy, this combines with the spin jump and the game's general floatiness to offer the player multiple ways to both cross huge gaps and prevent themselves from falling into whichever abyss (if there even is one) to pretty effectively remove difficulty from the majority of the game. In 64, it's more to do with the fact that very few levels have bottomless pits, and 64 has a very forgiving health system. Sunshine has several courses that are more bottomless pit than they are platforming, and while I can certainly imagine that the long jump would make these sections easier, I think they'd still be pretty tough, and they'd likely be less frustrating as well, since you'd have an option for long-jumping that wouldn't leave you sliding into the great beyond.

Whoever picked out that avatar for you is a genius, it really amplifies your posts.

Sunshine's spin jump is a really good tool, you should probably use it more if you're having tons of trouble with the platforming levels.

E: Bitch

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The only bad thing about sunshine is the 100 coin star poo poo. Meanwhile 64 looked and played like poo poo even when it was new. I still remember when I was a kid who first saw Mario 64 and was so disgusted with how awful it was that I got a PS1 instead.

Then the GameCube came out and all was forgiven. Best console of that Generation ( if we ignore the Dreamcast).

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The only bad thing about sunshine is the 100 coin star poo poo. Meanwhile 64 looked and played like poo poo even when it was new. I still remember when I was a kid who first saw Mario 64 and was so disgusted with how awful it was that I got a PS1 instead.

Then the GameCube came out and all was forgiven. Best console of that Generation ( if we ignore the Dreamcast).

That was only bad in the hotel level.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That was only bad in the hotel level.

If you remember to get the red coins, the coin stuff isn't so bad outside of the hotel one yeah. I remember as a kid I had 99 but I entered the hotel already and couldn't find one last coin.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

Sunshine's spin jump is a really good tool, you should probably use it more if you're having tons of trouble with the platforming levels.

E: Bitch
The spin jump's a fine tool for certain areas of the game, but I didn't like it at all for the FLUDD-less segments because of how it felt and how it moved the camera. I personally don't think those sections are that bad, and they're part of why Sunshine is my favorite 3D Mario game, but I still think the long-jump would not have been a harmful addition.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The only bad thing about sunshine is the 100 coin star poo poo.
Yeah, it's even worse in 64 because Hazy Maze Cave exists.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

If you remember to get the red coins, the coin stuff isn't so bad outside of the hotel one yeah. I remember as a kid I had 99 but I entered the hotel already and couldn't find one last coin.

Have you ever done it in the first stage before fighting that phantom manta ray?

Most time consuming shine in the game.

Still more fun than that Pachinko bullshit.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Have you ever done it in the first stage before fighting that phantom manta ray?

Most time consuming shine in the game.

Still more fun than that Pachinko bullshit.

I remember the leaf level on the river that you could only get to by going on the boat with yoshi.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I remember the leaf level on the river that you could only get to by going on the boat with yoshi.

well yeah that sucked too but the nice thing was that if you hosed up you could walk all the way back to the beginning and start over without being booted out.

With the loving pachinko level you hosed up and you lost lives, quickly. And it was mostly based on luckiness than anything else because the control was so stilted.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RMZXAnarchy posted:

well yeah that sucked too but the nice thing was that if you hosed up you could walk all the way back to the beginning and start over without being booted out.

With the loving pachinko level you hosed up and you lost lives, quickly. And it was mostly based on luckiness than anything else because the control was so stilted.

running around those loving pins in the wall just to get the last red coin was loving garbage. Also mudboats were horrible

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm replaying mario 64 for the first time in years, and I've decided to ignore any of the particularly arduous "get the 100 coins" stars. Same will go for Sunshine when i get there presumably.

All I remember from sunshine is the blue coins being complete bastards to find, and a section towards the end of the game that required Mario to steer a canoe over lava. Not easy to do in the best of times, but trying to get the coins AND survive became a multi-hour affair. Ah, childhood.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Pomp posted:

What was so bad about Tooie?

Tooie had some cool ideas that were awkwardly executed on. It had massive levels (some of the biggest on the N64, I think, Jetforce Gemini might be bigger) with the idea of having them interconnected, whether it be through the train station or just finding secret entrances. Because the levels were designed in this way, they put in a lot of jiggies that required frequent backtracking, especially with some of the powers. Lots of the backtrack jiggies were also sort of non-content. Like you would get the spring shoes and take 5 seconds to jump up behind a waterfall, or break a rock and give a dinosaur some water and go back to his level to talk to him for the reward, they were really shallow compared to some of the other efforts required.
There was also some stuff that was just straight up badly thought out, like Canary Mary or Jolly Roger's Lagoon. The former being responsible for some of the worst button mashing in any n64 game and the latter being a level almost entirely submerged in water, with plenty of the game's difficult-to-maneuver underwater combat and sub-abilities.

That said, some of the bosses were pretty neat and the more fleshed out mechanics (like splitting up banjo and kazooie, the first person shooting stuff) made traversing some areas interesting.

Susat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 12, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Azruelli posted:

Tooie had some cool ideas that were awkwardly executed on. It had massive levels (some of the biggest on the N64, I think, Jetforce Gemini might be bigger) with the idea of having them interconnected, whether it be through the train station or just finding secret entrances. Because the levels were designed in this way, they put in a lot of jiggies that required frequent backtracking, especially with some of the powers. Lots of the backtrack jiggies were also sort of non-content. Like you would get the spring shoes and take 5 seconds to jump up behind a waterfall, or break a rock and give a dinosaur some water and go back to his level to talk to him for the reward, they were really shallow compared to some of the other efforts required.
There was also some stuff that was just straight up badly thought out, like Canary Mary or Jolly Roger's Lagoon. The former being responsible for some of the worst button mashing in any n64 game and the latter being a level almost entirely submerged in water, with plenty of the game's difficult-to-maneuver underwater combat and sub-abilities.

That said, some of the bosses were pretty neat and the more fleshed out mechanics (like splitting up banjo and kazooie, the first person shooting stuff) made traversing some areas interesting.

The main problem with the backtracking was that too few of them were actually puzzles or required any memory or thinking about how the levels connected to each other. A good one was the cavemen who needed hamburgers, as that required you to get an item from an even later level and then figure out how to transport the burgers from Witchyworld to the cavemen without getting them taken from you. Too many of them ended up just being rote busywork and weren't actually satisfying or interesting to figure out.

I still loved both BT and BK when I was a kid, but I haven't played either of them in a very long time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I loved BT back in the day (probably still would) but holy hell was the N64 struggling to run it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

the bosses weren't that great (aside from the final one which was pretty good) and they sucked mostly in Mario 64 so I'm glad that they put their energy and time into making things that are fun to play instead of bosses. The other perfect games are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Metroid Prime, and Punch Out. Thank you for your time.

E: Sly Cooper 2 and 3 and Resident Evil 4 all come close

Your list doesn't have Mega Man X, therefore it is a broken list.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What 3D platform game looked and played better than Mario 64 in 1996?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Long John Power posted:

I wouldn't say it played better, but I'd be willing to say that Crash Bandicoot at least looked a little better than Mario 64.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just played the Bayonetta Demo, it was crazy in its own unique way, but I just felt like I mashed buttons and didn't quite understand what I was doing

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I hate how club Nintendo never updates their new rewards at any normal time. We're supposed to get new stuff today.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fremry posted:

I hate how club Nintendo never updates their new rewards at any normal time. We're supposed to get new stuff today.

No, this is the last day of last month's rewards and tomorrow we're getting the new stuff. They're confusing and it'll probably be delayed until Tuesday anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Long John Power posted:

Busby 3D

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just bought the 200 dollar refurb from Nintendo, and I got MK8 coming in the mail.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

Just bought the 200 dollar refurb from Nintendo, and I got MK8 coming in the mail.

Welcome to the club. It's a great system.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wow, Club Nintendo doesn't give much time to register a product, do they? Bought mario kart 8 from gamefly (40 bucks!), entered in the code early last week. Went on today to knock out the 70 coin survey, and its already expired. drat, ah well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Long John Power posted:

who cares? It's not 1996 anymore.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did I buy a WiiU because I'm cute, or did buying a WiiU make me cute?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Did I buy a WiiU because I'm cute, or did buying a WiiU make me cute?

Well you were cute before but now you've leveled up on the cute meter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't wait to hear more about confirmed cute game Devil's Third, made by cutest dev alive Tomonobu Itagaki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTldFe2m-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't wait to hear more about confirmed cute game Devil's Third, made by cutest dev alive Tomonobu Itagaki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTldFe2m-A

What an adorable game.

• Locked thread